Sign in to follow this  
Followers 407
AmishHacker

Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

5817 posts in this topic

My latest Arduino gadget container is patterned after the "Hangman" game. Instead of using a paper and pencil, the finder must successfully guess one of five words loaded on the arduino in order to open the container. The words are easy and mentioned in the description (hint). Here is link to the video:

My latest Arduino gadget container is patterned after the "Hangman" game. Instead of using a paper and pencil, the finder must successfully guess one of five words loaded on the arduino in order to open the container. The words are easy and mentioned in the description (hint). Here is link to the video:

I LOVE IT!

I have found some really cool things at the dollar stores/dollar general stores that I would like to attach plastic DNA tubes to like miniature gnomes and frogs, etc...

Forgive me if this is a repeat of someone else's question but....

What "solidly" sticks things together and is waterproof?

I've tried hot glue, crazy glue, E6000 and gorilla glue and they either break off easily or wash off when it rains.

Any tricks or tips??

Will JB weld work on plastic?

I have found some really cool things at the dollar stores/dollar general stores that I would like to attach plastic DNA tubes to like miniature gnomes and frogs, etc...

Forgive me if this is a repeat of someone else's question but....

What "solidly" sticks things together and is waterproof?

I've tried hot glue, crazy glue, E6000 and gorilla glue and they either break off easily or wash off when it rains.

Any tricks or tips??

Will JB weld work on plastic?

The thing I use most lately is a wrap of Velcro (the kind that sticks to itself) around the tube, and glue that pretty well, which provides a great surface for JB Weld or whatever you like, to glue an additional small item. And I also wrap a magnet into the Velcro, for ease of attachment (to a magnet clip on a branch or whatever).

Now if you're intending to "glue" things to the cap of a centrifuge tube, good luck with that. <_<

You'll be replacing the whole thing frequently, regardless of the glue (or I usually see these get archived after they break). I gave up on centrifuge tubes before ever placing one. Just too fragile, and they are not designed to seal anything more than once or twice. I switched to match tubes and bison tubes for micros.

But you could secure a plastic item to a cap, if you instead run a small screw through the bottom of the cap, into the item. Maybe use just enough "glue" (even craft glue) to keep the screw from backing out. As for how you place a centrifuge tube... poking it into the ground?... I'll leave that up to your further reading of the cache hiding guidelines, and your cache reviewer. :anibad:

Edited by kunarion

When using glue are you abrading, that is, roughing up the plastic surface to provide a "key"?

No. But good idea!! Thanks

Ugh. I love the DNA tubes. I got like 500 for $5.00 lol

Velcro didn't even cross my mind. Definitely a great idea

I have a box of 500 50ML centrifuge tubes (slightly bigger than match tubes, and they hold more). I found a great deal on ebay, a couple years ago. I've placed some of those. They have a screw-on cap like a soda bottle lid. Pretty cool, but all of these kinds of plastic tube degrade outdoors. So one tip is to design your hides so that you can easily replace the tube when necessary, without having to rebuild the whole thing.

I have a box of 500 50ML centrifuge tubes (slightly bigger than match tubes, and they hold more). I found a great deal on ebay, a couple years ago. I've placed some of those. They have a screw-on cap like a soda bottle lid. Pretty cool, but all of these kinds of plastic tube degrade outdoors. So one tip is to design your hides so that you can easily replace the tube when necessary, without having to rebuild the whole thing.

I was going to say the same thing.

Add to that, the lid attachment on the flip top centrifuge tubes will break well before the glue or velcro gives out. They are designed for short term use in the lab, not for long term exposure to the elements as a geocache.

I find them to be the most miserable, inadequate log containers going.

I find them to be the most miserable, inadequate log containers going.

What about as Swag? If I had 500 extra centrifuge tubes, I might fill them partway with glow powder, seal that up, seal the cap shut, and print clear labels with various mysterious or cool sounding "contents" (wrap all the way around, since labels otherwise won't stick well). Also have labels with a picture of an owl or rubber duck, etc. You know, cover the bases. :anicute:

Something along these lines (but not using glass, of course):

07a08e30-5eea-420a-9039-65fdf12016f2.jpg

Edited by kunarion

On 4/21/2017 at 10:59 PM, cliptwings said:

This is the BEST.  Love it.  Maybe something on the back of the board to protect the wires though.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2008 at 1:39 PM, pghlooking said:

And you are encouraging people to play in electrical boxes why? So what happens when some kids looks for your next caches and thinks it is the same hide "technique" and dies from an electrical shock? Will you still think your container is so cool?

I like this cache as well.   Kids are stupid, but not that stupid to think every electrical box is a geocache.

On 9/13/2013 at 10:37 PM, kunarion said:

I'm trying out some ideas with "hide-a-key" fake sprinkler heads. There are more ways to use these than just pressing them into dirt as "sprinklers".

On top of a sign post, attached to a magnet (also try it on a fence post):

344triq.jpg

Among unused plumbing:

2m7j961.jpg

In a planter (not buried, among the plants in a planter I own):

2vbv3b6.jpg

As a "fire sprinkler":

2nqadd1.jpg

Another placement on a plumbing fixture:

or5imq.jpg

Nicely done! Never thought of hiding one of those in that fashion.

1 hour ago, TwistedCube said:

Nicely done! Never thought of hiding one of those in that fashion.

A great use of a sprinkler cache which I normally don't like, well done

Has this battery powered cache near Aalborg in Denmark been shown here yet? I found it a few weeks ago.

It's called GC745T0 "Gubbifiskens arcadeeventyr 6 x AA" in Danish, which translates to "Guppy fish's arcade adventure 6 x AA".

It is a small game that requires you to bring your own batteries, which powers a small computer, a screen and a joystick.

The game is a 3 screen game of avoiding moving perils, and gives out a code when finished. The code unlocks a container holding the log book.

IMG_2942r.thumb.jpg.6683865d1616253809c63006497acdeb.jpg

/Mogens

Edited by deepo
Owner changed battery type