What influnces what caches you seek?

Okay I have place curosity polls before I have asked the question of

What is Types of caches to you prefer hunting?

How old are you?

Where in the country are you from?

Are you over/under 30 east/west of Mississippi?

Well Now I would like to know what (if at all) attracts you to a cache?

Me, in order: range from home, Type of cache, diffucilty.

Name and hider don't matter as much in seeking as it does in determining the hiding spot.

Cache On!!

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

Currently, proximity.

I have only 45 caches within 100 miles of my home, so basically I just hunt for the closest one. I've only got about half a dozen to go to complete the century.

On Geocaching trips, if I have time I'll read through the descriptions of local caches and decide if it sounds like a cool area...

A couple weeks ago I was in Nashville and stopped by a library to look up caches. Printouts were $0.25 each so I had to be selective about which caches I printed out. I looked for caches that had at least two stars difficulty or terrain.

If I were in a cache-saturated area, I would decide my hunts based on time availability and how I feel. I've cached in dress clothes on my way to work, and I've also spent a couple hours slogging through a swamp to get to a cache. I prefer the slogging, but I don't always have the time.

Jamie

The only caches I won't do are the ones placed on major NYC bridges or dams for NYC reservoirs ... there was also one placed in a park near Gracie Mansion, where the mayor of NYC traditionally lives, that I wouldn't seek until after Rudy Guiliani moved out. (The new mayor doesn't live there, so security has lessened.)

I also have no interest in digging through garbage dumps, regardless of how spectacular the hike or scenery is.

i voted for the distance from a given spot, not in the sense of closest to home, because the ones i have done so far are spread out across NE Ohio and PA, but in the sense of distance from a reasonable starting point near locations i go too (my parents live near Sharon, PA, we have a cabin in Potter Cty, PA, etc.) The last (9th) one i did is actually the closest to where i live, but hadn't done it yet because the recommended route is about 3+ miles of hiking (although i found a shortcut that was about .75 miles (gotta love fording rivers). and the next one on my list i hadn't done yet, because it involves parking in a small pulloff along side a backroad and the hiking involves kind of steep ravinges and a wet stream crossing (but it should be mostly dry now...)

"You will kneel before her in her altar in the trees" - Tara MacLean, Let Her Feel The Rain

Right now, since I am new (meaning lots of caches near home are still available) I go for the location. But will be running out of those. I really don't like the micro caches, but still look for them. I enjoy dumping out th larger caches and going through all of the loot, even if I don't trade anything. I really enjoy the multi-caches. They are my favorite. Most of the caches in our area are all park and grabs. So they don't take up much time and you could do several in a day without taking up the entire day.

Jenny L

If it when I hit the "nearest caches to your home coordinates button" on my cache page there is a new cache, it's history. I don't care about difficulty, coolness, who placed it, where it is, etc. If it is defiling my pristine pages that are currently devoid of unfound caches, I'm hitting it. icon_razz.gif

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

If it when I hit the "nearest caches to your home coordinates button" on my cache page there is a new cache, it's history. I don't care about difficulty, coolness, who placed it, where it is, etc. If it is defiling my pristine pages that are currently devoid of unfound caches, I'm hitting it. icon_razz.gif

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

Location is really important as I often squeeze these in between other things.

Type of Cache is also important as I refuse to hunt virtual caches and many multi-site caches take too much time.

Presence of a travel bug will get me going. If a bug hotel were in my area, I would be setting up a hunting blind near by. icon_cool.gif

Location is really important as I often squeeze these in between other things.

Type of Cache is also important as I refuse to hunt virtual caches and many multi-site caches take too much time.

Presence of a travel bug will get me going. If a bug hotel were in my area, I would be setting up a hunting blind near by. icon_cool.gif

It used to be location but since I've got my area clean within 50 miles it's just a matter of keeping up with the new ones close by.

Since it will require an hour drive I look at difficulty, terrain, and number of nearby caches. I also solicit recommendations from other cachers in the areas I plan to visit and give that a lot of value.

Rusty...

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

Other

While initially I went for easy, close by caches (so I could be sure I would be able to find them), I now try to find caches in places where I haven't been or places that sound interesting. I'm also more interested in some that require at least a short hike rather than one that's on or near a "beaten path".

We have hundreds of caches in our area. So I go by: does the cache have an interesting name? I avoid macho seeming types. I will want to see something in the description that piques my interest, such as something interesting to view. I avoid multicaches because on our first and only one, the description did not say that we could either walk a rather long and rough hike, or drive to the next spot....we hiked, it rained, we could not finish the cache. I like virtual caches if the payoff is worth it. Next I read the logs and see what people have said about it. I am not terribly interested in the stuff inside though I think that is a worthy area of development. I'd like to see more imagination there, plus more in-town caches I can get to on the bus.

Location is the most important to me. Most of my finds are either close to my home, or close to where I work. If I'm travelling to another area, I'll check to see if there are any caches nearby and look for those. I'm not one of those who will drive all over the state specifically to seek caches.

I enjoy caches of all types of difficulty, depending on the situation. The 1/1 "grab-n-go" caches are good if I'm in a hurry, but I also like a long, rugged hike if I have the time.

First choice location. I'm not going to even try to look for anything in California unless I'm making a road trip.

Speaking of road trips, when I do go out of town, I try to find caches in areas I'm familar with, or at least easy to navigate to.

I like the easy cahces when I'm strapped for time.

I like the more difficult caches or multi caches when I have more time to kill. That's when I try to find several in a day if they're all easy.

Lately I've been trying to do caches which require at least an hour drive to get to, so that I can conserve those which are closer to work/home.

My reasoning is that, as winter approaches and the days get shorter, I want to be able to do a cache after work on an impulse, even if I only have 45 minutes of daylight available to me icon_smile.gif

Aside from that, terrain is the biggest factor for me. If I'm going out for a multi-cache weekend adventure, I try to pick some that require short hikes and one or two that require longer hikes and/or steep climbs.

If its a one-cache day, anything goes, but the nastier the terrain the better icon_biggrin.gif Hiking out across soft ground for two hours and dodging anthills really bites.

Lately I've been trying to do caches which require at least an hour drive to get to, so that I can conserve those which are closer to work/home.

My reasoning is that, as winter approaches and the days get shorter, I want to be able to do a cache after work on an impulse, even if I only have 45 minutes of daylight available to me icon_smile.gif

Aside from that, terrain is the biggest factor for me. If I'm going out for a multi-cache weekend adventure, I try to pick some that require short hikes and one or two that require longer hikes and/or steep climbs.

If its a one-cache day, anything goes, but the nastier the terrain the better icon_biggrin.gif Hiking out across soft ground for two hours and dodging anthills really bites.

because 4 out of 5 of our team members enjoy a rugged hike. We also like caches that are challenging for other reasons. We are very limited on the time we have for hunting though and take several factors into consideration.

Since we have young kids, caches in parks are great. We can hunt the cache, have a picnic, give them some playground time, all are happy. Creative names do catch our eye, as do travel bugs, and caches that haven't been logged as *found* yet. As geocaching becomes more popular (it's pretty dead in our part of the country right now) we'll probably look at the cache placer too, especially if it's someone (or a team) that have placed other caches that we have enjoyed hunting.

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

Like many others, we like location! Coming across history or scenic views is really a plus. Ive enjoyed almost all of our cache finds so far but multicaches and out in the wilderness caches are my favs.

Ive hit all the locals so now I try to plan trips where we might find several because of the long drives. Today however, we drove about 200 miles roundtrip to do a multicache and I have to say that it was well worth the trip. Enjoyed this one!

Oldest Church