Oh Man, They are REAL, ticks that is....

TMAN264

RELAX!!

Are you still alive? After you get over the heebie-jeebies, you'll realize that it's just a bug. Just what purpose they serve is beyond me, but I'm sure there is a reason for their existance.

As a kid in tick country I was quite good at spotting and plucking ticks. This might sound gross but my mom used to put us on tick patrol on our dogs. We had to find and remove said beasts from our pets. The bigger and fatter they are the easier they are to spot and squish. It seems awefull now, but at the time it was a hunt! Almost like a CACHE!! hehe

OG

Prophetically Challenged (or is that Pathetically?)

Ticks are sentient animals and deserve the respect that is due to all animals. If you find a tick on your person, gently remove it and return the creature to its natural environment.

If you find a tick on your body when you arrive home, do not remove it and release it in your house because IT WILL DIE!!!!! Make sure you let it go outdoors. If you have a grassy field near your home, it would be ideal, but any wooded area will do nicely. Remember, we all must respect our animal friends.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

Here in the North East we can get over the heeby-jeeby bug thing pretty quickly. Then the paranoia of 90% Lyme Disease infection rate amongst ticks in this area sets in.

A trip to the doctor for a preventative course of antibiotics doesn't really put the fun in geocaching...

ticky ticky tick tick

quote:
had one borough underneath the back of my ear when I was a kid! My uncle had to burn it out with a match! Ticks suck big time!

Your uncle is one sick, sadistic man. Ticks have feelings too.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

Your Uncle also isn't very well informed.. burning a tick can cause it to expel the contents of its stomach (aka vomit), basingly spewing whatever nasties it might have directly into your bloodstream.

To properly remove a tick, grab them as close as possible to the skin using a pair of pliers, and pull straight out (do not twist, as it could tear itself apart, leaving mouth parts behind and causing infection).

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Ticks are sentient animals and deserve the respect that is due to all animals. If you find a tick on your person, gently remove it and return the creature to its natural environment.

What? It's a tick. Flush the dadgum thing down the stool or squeeze the cheese out of it till it croaks. Yeah, and the next time you swat a mosquito, try not to hurt it so you can let it go back to its natural environment. lol!!!

quote:

If you find a tick on your body when you arrive home, do not remove it and release it in your house because IT WILL DIE!!!!! Make sure you let it go outdoors. If you have a grassy field near your home, it would be ideal, but any wooded area will do nicely. Remember, we all must respect our animal friends.

Hey! My entomologist parents never told me this! Of course, ticks aren't insects though....

Well, I violated your rules when I yanked a tick off my back and it went flying, and hence missing, in my house! I hope it died! Needless to say, I would have violated the rules some more by burning it if I was given the chance.

Sorry! I do save lots of bugs, and even spiders alot, but I'm ruthless when it comes to ticks! No one gets to be a parasite on me! Just ask my ex-boyfriends! icon_wink.gif

pokeanim3.gif

Folks, this happened thir...err...many years ago icon_wink.gif. I was just a kid so maybe the proper method of tick removal wasn't discovered then! Maybe it was sorta like "bleeding a patient" to get rid of an infection! Dark ages stuff! icon_wink.gif

My unc is a priest and an avid outdoorsman so he knew what he was doing! He taught me about compasses and how to hunt and fish! It worked, and the tick bailed out in no time...I've never had one since! Maybe he blessed me!! (No figgin priest jokes...I'll get pissed and have to kill you slowly...Oh sooooo slowly!!!) icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_smile.gificon_razz.gificon_eek.gif

I wouldn't worry too much about having used the wrong approach to removing the tick. One of the reasons their are so many fold remedys on how to get them out (hot match, vasaline etc.) is because it's down right difficult if not impossible to pull them out without leaving parts, if not the whole head in their. Unfortunately, I've had ticks dig in a lot over the years, my success at getting them out in one piece is maybe 50 percent at best. Luckily, I've never suffered any ill effects, just hope the luck continues.

I never feel sorry for hurting a bug/animal that tried to harm me. I guess thats just my animal instinct.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

Caching without a clue....

permanone permethrin and sulfur are my battle plan. chemical warfare on the tiny bastages. lyme disease is no joke. a good thorough check and removal if necessary. ticks found at home are dealt with. they get wax candle interrogation (after removed.) no "catch and release" practiced here (bass yes, ticks NO!).

robbie

wings_flag.gif

A family that Geocaches together... eventually gets wet.

required reading

My first bible

Great Orienteering Site!

quote:
Originally posted by ScottJ:

Please, for God's sake, everyone, PLEASE!!!

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

You are right. Sometimes, depending on different factors, we fall prey to the trolls. I always want to kick myself after I fall victim and BrianSnat is a master at trolling.

icon_eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team Shibby:

Brian is NO troll, I bet he was just being silly. I know he loves the outdoors, but I doubt highly that he really LIKES ticks icon_wink.gif

TROLL: a person who posts an inflammatory remark specifically to elicit heated replies, or flames. Most often as a joke to get people riled up.

He was definitetly trying to elicit a response. Most of the time however, he does offer very useful and worthwhile information. So, I take back my accusation, this time. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Brian is NO troll, I bet he was just being silly. I know he loves the outdoors, but I doubt highly that he really LIKES ticks

You are correct Shibby, I was just kidding around and in fact, I did have a few beers in me when I wrote that. The intent was to be silly, not to troll. I assumed that most people who know me here (to the extent you can know someone in an Internet forum) would have known that I was just goofing.

I hate ticks! I really do!

A few weeks ago my canine caching companion, Autumn tested positive for Lyme's. The vet thinks we caught it early, but she will be on medication for about 6 months. Last week I tested positive for Lyme's! So the ticks here in Jersey are REAL. I usually use all the precautions but when I do these caches at lunchtime it's hard to douse myself with chemicals. Over the last 3 years our group has had hundreds of ticks on us and I guess my luck (of not getting Lyme’s) finally ran out. At any rate all the ticks, Poison Ivy, and mosquitoes will not curb my caching.

sorry to hear about that. no doubt you will become an expert on the subject very soon.

as for dousing oneself...

permethrin is not a skin treatment. use it for clothes treatment. you can treat an old pair of pants and a shirt, and it will last quite a while. normal wash and dry will not ruin the treatment. it will last for numerous cycles. as far as the sulfur goes.. you must be comfortable with the info available. do that research, and see what you get out of it.

good luck in your treatment, and keep us posted.

robbie

wings_flag.gif

A family that Geocaches together... eventually gets wet.

required reading

My first bible

Great Orienteering Site!

PERSONAL PROTECTIVE MEASURES AGAINST INSECTS AND OTHER ARTHROPODS OF MILITARY SIGNIFICANCE

Favorite Tick Disposal Methods:

Camera-lens Magnfying glass on the hood of my truck - amazing how fast those guys can scurry when they're warm.

Crush with a pointy rock. This is the most common.

New method: Package carefully and mail to BrianSnat icon_wink.gif

I've lived with ticks all my life and when I lived in NJ, they were terrible! That's why I don't live there anymore and I never cached there. Maybe in the north, but certainly not in the south.

I found this great devise to remove ticks. It is so easy. No digging, pulling, squeezing. It's called O'Tom Tick Twister. After removing the tick put it in soapy water, it will sink right away.

If you can't find O'Tom's, I have some.

After reading these posts I can say that this is another reason to love living in California. I will put up with an occasional snake sighting and earthquakes - the thought of dealing with no-see-ums......

--------------------------------------------------

"If you ever go temporarily insane, don't shoot somebody, like a lot of people do. Instead, try to get some weeding done, because you'd really be surprised." - Jack Handy

True story...

Several years ago a co-worker brought in something he found on his carpet and didn't know what it was. We recognized it imediately as a gorged wood tick about the size of a grape. It was still alive so we kept it in a jar in our office to see what would happen. After several weeks, it proceeded to lay hundreds of eggs over a period of a few days days. After another month or so the eggs started to hatch into tiny tick larvae. As most of us were starting to get grossed out at this point, we began to consider destroying and disposing of the babies. A female co-worker was appalled at our talk, took the jar home and released the ticks in a vacant lot near her home!

quote:
Originally posted by Moe the Sleaze:

A female co-worker was appalled at our talk, took the jar home and released the ticks in a vacant lot near her home!

Stuff like that makes me put people like that in a category not much higher than the bugs. I wonder if she's appalled at spraying to prevent West Nile virus?

It reminds me of a racing commercial going on now. A poor performing car is said to be bruising bugs. Maybe those slow pokes in the left lane are PETBat members? {PEOPLE for the ETHICAL TREATMENT of BUGS AND TICKS)

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

quote:
posted June 27, 2003 07:15 PM

True story...

Several years ago a co-worker brought in something he found on his carpet and didn't know what it was. We recognized it imediately as a gorged wood tick about the size of a grape. It was still alive so we kept it in a jar in our office to see what would happen. After several weeks, it proceeded to lay hundreds of eggs over a period of a few days days. After another month or so the eggs started to hatch into tiny tick larvae. As most of us were starting to get grossed out at this point, we began to consider destroying and disposing of the babies. A female co-worker was appalled at our talk, took the jar home and released the ticks in a vacant lot near her home!

ACK! I pulled a tick off recently that went flying across my bathroom and I couldn't find it. I hope there are not a ton of tiny ticks in my house now! Must go clean bathroom.... must clean..... ACK!

pokeanim3.gif

[This message was edited by carleenp on June 27, 2003 at 10:22 PM.]

quote:
You are correct Shibby, I was just kidding around and in fact, I did have a few beers in me when I wrote that. The intent was to be silly, not to troll. I assumed that most people who know me here (to the extent you can know someone in an Internet forum) would have known that I was just goofing.

I hate ticks! I really do!

No, you are a liar! I know that you have been taken over by alien ticks from another planet!

They have taken your mind and made you post such things. The ticks are here and they are out to get us all!!! Now you are trying to cover it up. You just messed up by not sticking to your story and giving yourself away!!!! I bet the ticks are really mad at you now!

icon_rolleyes.gif

pokeanim3.gif

quote:

Camera-lens Magnfying glass on the hood of my truck - amazing how fast those guys can scurry when they're warm.

If you burn them, they usually just shrivel up, but once in awhile they pop and blow up like a firecracker. That is pretty cool in a violent sort of way (never knew what I should think of my enjoyment of that, I'm generally pretty passive). Fortunately, ticks tend to not like me, but I got to experience this from pulling ticks off of a tick-loving ex-boyfriend on many occasions (ticks loved him and ignored me, not sure what that meant). I would say that 1 in 7 do the firecracker route!

pokeanim3.gif

Ok, I was just granted another day of caching here in Maryland, so I am going to brave the ticks again, although it is taking serious anti-heebie-jeebie fortitude.

I must really like signing my name in log books to be doing this.

Make a sanity check.migo_sig_logo.jpg

Nah, go for it. I read a plauque at the cache I did today in Pennsylvania about ticks and Lyme's disease, and it was very informative. I did 5 today, and no ticks that I detected. I still do not like them, but I just gotta cache, especially in new states!

Make a sanity check.migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by TMAN264:

Nah, go for it. I read a plauque at the cache I did today in Pennsylvania about ticks and Lyme's disease, and it was very informative. I did 5 today, and no ticks that I detected. I still do not like them, but I just gotta cache, especially in new states!

I agree. I love the outdoors and I'm not going to let bugs stop me from doing what I enjoy.

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

quote:

If you burn them, they usually just shrivel up, but once in awhile they pop and blow up like a firecracker. That is pretty cool in a violent sort of way (never knew what I should think of my enjoyment of that, I'm generally pretty passive). Fortunately, ticks tend to not like me, but I got to experience this from pulling ticks off of a tick-loving ex-boyfriend on many occasions (ticks loved him and ignored me, not sure what that meant). I would say that 1 in 7 do the firecracker route!

So will you be giving a demo at our next Nebraskache meeting?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nebraskache/

I happened to be caching with a large group of cachers, from acorss the US, yesterday in LI, Clayjar and mtn-man being two of them. mtn-man found a couple of ticks, before they got to him, so there was the tick discussion in the parking lot and ClayJar had a suggestion for a good removal method, if you have no tick puller an old credit card with a sharp notch cut into it run across the skin scooping up the underside of the tick will pull it out if embedded in the skin. It works just like a tick puller.

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

I happened to be caching with a large group of cachers, from acorss the US, yesterday in LI, Clayjar and mtn-man being two of them. mtn-man found a couple of ticks, before they got to him, so there was the tick discussion in the parking lot and ClayJar had a suggestion for a good removal method, if you have no tick puller an old credit card with a sharp notch cut into it run across the skin scooping up the underside of the tick will pull it out if embedded in the skin. It works just like a tick puller.

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

Actually that gives me a great idea. How about a plastic straw or a plastic spoon that you could pickup on the road at a Dunkin Donuts or ice cream place. Cut a notch and you got a handy extraction tool. I paid for one of those spoon type things that was being sold as a tick remover, so this oughta work too.

ALan

quote:
I will send any I get to Brian. He's right you know, they are living creatures. And there's room for all of God's creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes!

(If they're big enough to filet or steak!)

Thank you Woodbutcher. I'm creating a tick farm in my backyard. I hate mowing grass, so if the local authorities come by to tell me to cut it, I can tell them it's a preserve. Maybe I can get a tax exemption!

Planet's got the perfect solution! Everyone get a couple of guinea hens. When you get home, strip down and let the hens pick the ticks off you. Don't let the neighbors see you doing this though, they might think you're in some weird cult, like being a geocacher.

Maps?!? We don't need no stinking maps! We got coordinates!

Modern science has developed a pill for dogs and cats that will keep ticks off of the animal for a month. Also, they now have insecticide for trees and bushes that is absorbed by the roots and will keep bugs off for a full year. Why the heck can't people get a pill or a drink that will keep the bugs off?!?!? Then, we wouldn't have to spray ourselves with deet and other toxic waste.