Energy bars

Bilder

There is an article in the local paper today on energy bars. I have been avoiding them personally because of all the sugar in them. Would be more healty to eat some candy bars than those "energy" things.

Got me to thinking about what you all take with you on the trail. I have found some sugar free energy bars that taste good, but they cost $1.80 each. I have been sticking to a personal trail mix I put together. Nuts, dried cranberries, raspberries, cherries, and sugar free chocolate bits. That and water can keep me going for awhile.

What do you all take with you?

Here is the article

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

I like trail mix. A local store sells various kinds in bulk. I mix certain ones together and add some extra banana chips and yogurt balls for a personal mix.

I love homemade jerky (especially venison). Unfortunately I don't hunt or dehydrate, so I have to get lucky and have someone give me some (hint hint icon_wink.gif).

Also, the book Diet for a Small Planet has a gorp cookie recipie that I have always really liked. A good mix of carbs and protien, lower sugar, tastes great and easy to pack.

pokeanim3.gif

If it's just a dayhike, I very rarely take snack or energy type foods with me. I generally have a couple dense high energy items in my pack however in case I end up spending the night unexpectedly. I've found it can help when you're not doing anything and it's cold. I also often throw in a breakfast bar or two.

As for what I've taken on my last two geocaching trips. 100 oz camelbak bladder full of water, two frozen bottles of gatorade. Two weeks ago, according to the mapping software the trip distance was 14.3 miles, climbing/decending 6,700 feet, but 2/3 of the trip was on trails. Last weekend, only 9.36 miles, about half of which was off trail, climbing/decending 4,750 feet.

If I start hitting the tough stuff, I'll take a lunch, or maybe a power bar or two. Otherwise, I've never seen the point. The older I get, the less difficult getting sufficient calories seems to be. Getting too many seems to be the problem.

We've found that water works just fine! Especially the little mini travel size bottles! Also, if you go when it's extremely hot out, you don't think of food as much, just the water, in which you have! Works wonderfully!

"Not the most obvious cache in the forest are ya'?"

I agree on the water, water and more water. Dehydration is a heck of a lot worse than an empty tummy. An apple, banana or orange for every hour of hiking is a good guide.

Now fast-food takeout on the way home in the car is a different matter. I just can't seem to drive by chip wagons without stopping.

Cheers, Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

quote:
Originally posted by Olar:

<snip>

Now fast-food takeout on the way home in the car is a different matter. I just can't seem to drive by chip wagons without stopping.

Cheers, Olar

[homer simpson voice]mmmmm, fast foooood [/homer simpson voice]

Being a fast food junkie myself, what is "Chip Wagons?" A somewhat regional fast food chain here in SE Texas called "Whataburger" is my absolute fave...

P

carpe cerevisi

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

Some of us, like us Type IIs, have to have limited carbs on a regular basis. No more going all day without food.

Most of the time we can catch a meal in between caches, but a couple of times I've been caught out without a snack and that's not good. Last weekend, we simply stopped at a roadside stand and got a couple of apples and were good to go.

Keep a couple of PowerBars in the pack just in case, though.

CR

72057_2000.gif

I probably shouldn't mention this, but the only one I'd recommending avoiding is "EAS." Supposedly they're made for women..maybe you gotta have estrogen for them to taste good.

This company gave us a pretty hefty donation for our local Relay for Life effort and provided us with t-shirts and lots of free energy bars to give away as samples. Just plain icky.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

quote:
Originally posted by CYBret:

I probably shouldn't mention this, but the only one I'd recommending avoiding is "EAS." Supposedly they're made for women..maybe you gotta have estrogen for them to taste good.

This company gave us a pretty hefty donation for our local Relay for Life effort and provided us with t-shirts and lots of free energy bars to give away as samples. Just plain icky.

Bret

__"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again."_ Mt. 13:44_

EAS makes two types, energy and low-carb. I only eat the low carb ones. I doubt I have any excess estrogen, although I have been fondling my breasts a lot this afternoon....

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

I try to eat right every day.

I take a seven course meal with me geocaching -- a six pack of beer and a bag of chips.

===========================================================

"The time has come" the Walrus said "to speak of many things; of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and Kings".

I'll agree with the water always! Also, Red Bull (or other energy drinks) are always good because they also provide Taurine which helps break up lactic acid on the long hikes - and prevents soreness the next day.

Favorite snacks are trailmix and Power Gel. These are made by the PowerBar people but have the consistency of frosting. Same ingredients but a much smaller pack and very yummy, too!

I throw Power Bars and Clif bars in the pack for emergencies, but don't generally eat them. Sometimes I'd have one in work for a later afternoon sugar rush. My wife loves Luna bars though.

For a day on the trail, it's just a turkey and swiss on a roll with bacon, lettuce, tomato, mustard and mayo, plenty of water and a bottle of Nantucket Nectars iced tea.

If I'm out on the trail for several days, it's a dried sausage like chorizo, salami, sopprasata or pepperoni, with cheddar on a Triscut.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Writer:

Being a fast food junkie myself, what is "Chip Wagons?" A somewhat regional fast food chain here in SE Texas called "Whataburger" is my absolute fave...

P

carpe cerevisi

http://www.texasgeocaching.com

Ahhh my southern friend, you must travel north to experience the "chip wagon" or "chip truck" as they are also known. They are roadside, mobile fast food fixes. Many are converted school buses. All sell wonderfully greasy, homemade fries, burgers, onion rings, hot dogs, etc. I usually note in my cache logs if there is a nearby chip truck! icon_wink.gif

-Donna G

quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Writer:

P

carpe cerevisi

http://www.texasgeocaching.com

I'm originally from New Mexico, grew up on Whataburgers, now you've got my mouth watering and it's a long drive from Florida!

Powerbars are great! They may not have the best texture for a snack but a powerbar washed down with a bottle of water gives an incredible amount of energy. I love em and always keep a bunch in my cache bag.

They must be eaten with water othwerwise the energy boosting properties just do not seem up to par, just fills the belly for a little while.

Trail mix is another great snack. Nuts are high in protein, just what your muscles want after being worked out for awhile.

Kar

quote:
A good bottle of wine and assorted hors d'oeuvres.

Mmmm...snacks! You should see my Dad and I lugging beer in our packs on a long hike to stick in the mountain stream to stay cold for later after fishing!

quote:

EAS makes some products aimed at women, but I don't think they have estrogen in them. Instead, the calorie ratio and vitamins are tweaked. As far as I know, they make all of the same products for men too and plenty are unisex. Overall, I have been happy with EAS. I like their Myoplex shakes in particular.

Edit: Oh geeze, now I see that you were probably making a joke about the taster needing estrogen for them to taste good! Sorry! I'm dense at times. Regardless, I think the EAS stuff tastes OK, but maybe that is my estrogen speaking!

pokeanim3.gif

[This message was edited by carleenp on July 17, 2003 at 07:15 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by geopug:

I'm originally from New Mexico, grew up on Whataburgers, now you've got my mouth watering and it's a long drive from Florida!

Not sure what part of Florida you're in, but I've heard rumors that Whataburger is coming to Jacksonville and the surrounding area. I haven't had one in about 15 years, so I can't wait. icon_smile.gif

----

When in doubt, poke it with a stick.

quote:
Originally posted by geopug:

Oh yeah....a "combo #5" (a bacon & cheese Whataburger with onion rings) and sometimes a chocolate shake. I moved up to Colorado for a few years, in the Eagle/Gypsum area and much to my dismay found out there weren't any Whataburgers in Colorado....D'oh! Well, when I went to my basic course at Ft. Sill in Oklahoma, the first place I ate was Whataburger! woo hoo!

P

carpe cerevisi

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

Don't want anyone to get mad for advertiesing, but thought I could help out here.

I buy my protien bars from myself. They are trim advantage, have ZERO Carbs and taste pretty good.

You can find them at Quixtar.com, but you have to have someone refer you to get them. You can use my number which is 3198684

There are five flavors. Also have the energy drinks wich have NO Sugar, and only 8 calories, in 3 flavors. They taste better than any of the others out there, I've tried all that I can find.

If you get lost while geocaching, don't worry. Someone else will get lost while geocaching and find you. icon_wink.gif

We take beef jerky (We prefer the Pemmican brand), water and Pria Bars or good ole' Quaker granola bars. The Pria bars are YUMMY, low in calories/fat and CHEAP! $.65 at walmart!

Pria bars are made by Power Bar. Oh and bars marketed to women just mean, most of the time, that they have soy protein. You won't grow breasts eating them. Sorry guys!

In my opinion (which is often times disregarded and neglected), all "energy bars" taste like crap. However, they are useful for long trips where you have limited space in your backpack. After 4 or 5 days of eating beef jerky and gorp, energy bars can offer a break in the dull food cycle (if nothing else). If you are really brave and feel like barfing, try the "energy gels" those things are so disgusting you'll likely not get hungery for a long time.

Why can't someone make a food substance that is compact (like an energy bar) light weight and that TASTE GOOD!!! I guess I could try to dehydrate a couple of those Whataburgers? icon_eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by clearpath:

<snip>

Why can't someone make a food substance that is compact (like an energy bar) light weight and that TASTE GOOD!!! I guess I could try to dehydrate a couple of those Whataburgers? icon_eek.gif

Oh, man!! A dehydrated Whataburger for camping? They'd make a fortune here in Texas (at least from me icon_razz.gif ) if that would work.

P

carpe cerevisi

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

Short story:

My girlfriend wanted to get some bars for breakfast to hold her over at work. We checked all the local GNCs, Health stores, etc & bought a sh**load of different ones to taste. Most workout bars tasted like sawdust & the ones that were good had so much sugar & salt in them that they actually weren't very healthy.

Finally came across LUNA BARS in Trader Joe's stores.

They have a low sodium level, not too bad on the sugar content & come in about 12 different flavor blends. Actually taste pretty good (most of them) & seem to have a decent energy dispersal rate.

Just tryin to save some people from doing all the testing we did!

Wherever you go, there you are!

beef jerky, meat sticks are my favorite snacks on the trail. "Deer STicks" are my favorites, but we only get those if someone gets a deer.

Donna of Wienerdog introduced me to a Cliff Bar while we were doing the VCM. Pretty tasty. I might grab a couple of them for the next marathon hike. I'll also throw in a roll of Oreo cookies.

My drink is typically water. In the past, I used to do one part gator ade and one part water. Main thing is to sip water before you are thirsty.