How many hidden caches do YOU have?

OK, I know I can go and look in a members stats if I am interested in that person in particular. What I was wondering was, who has the most hidden caches - or, more so, how many!

What do you think is a sensible number for anyone to maintain? Bearing in mind that some will have less time available than others this will vary. But, in an ideal world, how many would you wish to be responsible for? ( I assume that you would wish to spend some time searching out others caches too!

Only nuts eat squirrels,

Snake

I have 58 total and 46 currently active. I've found that 40-50 caches are about the most I could conceivably maintain, so I've been archiving my less popular, or less interesting caches as I place new ones (besides, I'm running low on ammo boxes and have to recycle them).

I really don't see how anyone could have the time to maintain 100, or 200 caches, but if they can, more power to them!

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

I have planted 40 caches with 37 active, 1 temporarily deactivated till deer season is over and two that is archived! The problem I have is not maintaining them but that I have so many ideas that I want to use, I have been giving them to other cachers to try out ! I am going for fifty quality caches!

Darkmoon

"After you've heard two eyewitness accounts of an automobile accident, you begin to worry about history" -Anonymous

I have 18 hidden. I'm thinking I can deal with 30 - 40 caches. The ones that are further away I make sure are in ammo boxes, very well hidden & wrapped in super heavy duty black plastic bags. Try to keep the maintenence to a minimum.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.

quote:
Originally posted by J&MBella:

I have 18 hidden. I'm thinking I can deal with 30 - 40 caches. The ones that are further away I make sure are in ammo boxes, very well hidden & wrapped in super heavy duty black plastic bags. Try to keep the maintenence to a minimum.

Why do you need to wrap an ammo box in plastic?

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

quote:
very well hidden & wrapped in super heavy duty black plastic bags.

Ahhhhhh! Please don't say that icon_redface.gif . Please don't bring this practice to the NY metro area! It's popular in other regions and I was always so happy it wasn't used here.

Few things are more disgusting than sticking your hand in a slimy, water soaked plastic bag to extract the cache. I've never found one yet that wasn't full of holes, so the usefulness is dubious to begin with. And after some rain, water gets inside and just stays there and slimy, nasties start to grow. Yuk!

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:

A guy with Traditional Caches 273 ...

and then you have:

[quote} The problem I have is not maintaining them but that I have so many ideas that I want to use,

Darkmoon

So if someone has placed 200 or 300 then others who have good ideas may feel shut-out.

Is there a way to look at the STATs to see an average - of those who have placed cache's, on average how many have they placed.

The average of all members would skew the number down because of the many who have not placed any.

quote:
Originally posted by BeachBuddies:

I did some quick analysis (not thorough yet). It looks like the average find-to-hide ratio is about 20-to-1. That's where it is for me too; I've found 110 or so, and hidden 5. So, if you one of those who has found 100 and not hidden any -- get out there and hide some! icon_smile.gif

That sounds like a really reasonable guideline. If you have found 10 caches its time to start thinking about hiding your first cache, then by the time you have found 40 your ready to place some high quality caches.

If your in central Iowa please follow these guidelines as we could really use some new Quality caches.

Did a quick computation and found that with the local club, the ratio is 52:1 finds:hides. Of course we have 3 members with > 2000 finds and there are already something like 850 caches within 100 miles, so our ratio is going to be slanted toward the finds instead of hides.

As for me... I have 161 finds and 5 hides (soon to be 6). That makes my ratio 32:1 and approaching 27:1. I have not had to archive a cache yet.

Could anyone explain to me how they could possibly maintain 100, 200 or even 300 caches?

icon_confused.gif

Do the approvers consider this when they keep approving new caches for these prolific hiders?

I have 7 active and one awaiting approval. I can just barly keep up with maintaining those!

Salvelinus

"The trail will be long and full of frustrations. Life is a whole and good and evil must be accepted together"

Ralph Abele

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

quote:
very well hidden & wrapped in super heavy duty black plastic bags.

Ahhhhhh! Please don't say that icon_redface.gif . Please don't bring this practice to the NY metro area! It's popular in other regions and I was always so happy it wasn't used here.

Few things are more disgusting than sticking your hand in a slimy, water soaked plastic bag to extract the cache. I've never found one yet that wasn't full of holes, so the usefulness is dubious to begin with. And after some rain, water gets inside and just stays there and slimy, nasties start to grow. Yuk!

OK. Point taken. Anyone else feel this way? A lot of caches I've found here on the Island are wrapped in plastic bags. That extra protection seem to work well. I guess on an ammo box, which all I use now, it's not really necessery.

Because now I am Lost.

I asked a similar question to this back in May. I was concerned about some cachers in the Tampa Bay area who have 200+ finds and no hidden caches. Boy, did I take a beating from all of the know-it-all cachers who post here daily.

I wanted to try to maintain a 5:1 ratio but I'm going to strive for 10:1 or maybe 15:1.

I have 174 finds and 30 hides to date.

There's a cacher from Jacksonvill, Florida who has hidden a ton of caches since he started the hobby/sport/addiction earlier this year. His name? As David Lee Roth once sang, "Ice Cream Man".

quote:

Why do you need to wrap an ammo box in plastic?

Oops. Didn't see that post. OK. No more no more ammo boxes in plastic bags. See. That proves a great point I had in another thread. It's ok to give constructive criticism to a newbie. Otherwise things won't change. Even if you're a newbie yourself. To get this back on topic my cache hide count is now 20.

mystats.php?userid=jmb&vopt=user&txtdata=%234+out+of+5&bgcol=000099&fgcol=ffffff

Because now I am Lost.

quote:
Originally posted by Go For The Green:

...a ton of caches since he started the hobby/sport/addiction...

Jeez, after all this time you guys STILL refuse to use my officially agreed to (by me) acronym for this “RASH - Recreation, Activity, Sport, Hobby”!

(see: http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=4016058331&m=5626015051)

It is NOT a hobby/sport/addiction/game/recreatoinal activity/outdoor trek/event/etc.

--majicman

(MY new book is NOW AVAILABLE! Check it out: http://www.mcwj.com )

quote:
Originally posted by majicman:

What a silly question, "ALL" of my caches are "hidden"...

If they were out in plain site, what fun would that be?

You really need to think out your questions for topic heading more carefully...

LOL - OK, what a pedant... Hidden as opposed to found..... **big cheesy grin goes here**

Only nuts eat squirrels,

Snake

quote:
Originally posted by Salvelinus:

Could anyone explain to me how they could possibly maintain 100, 200 or even 300 caches?

icon_confused.gif

Do the approvers consider this when they keep approving new caches for these prolific hiders?

I have 7 active and one awaiting approval. I can just barly keep up with maintaining those!

Salvelinus

If a geocacher had a demonstrated history of ignoring the caches they'd already placed, then yes, I would bring this up with them if they proposed to hide a new batch. Fortunately I have not had any problems on that score here in Pennsylvania. We have some very prolific hiders here, with dozens and even hundreds of hides, but not a lot of maintenance complaints. When I've brought concerns to the attention of hiders in this category, they've been addressed promptly and cheerfully. I think it is all a question of how much time one can dedicate to the sport. If you have time to maintain 5 caches while still finding however many you'd like to find, then that's your limit. For others it's 50. My personal limit is about maxed out, since I dedicate a lot of time to admin work. There is no policy in place to limit the absolute number of caches that one person can hide.... just the 528 foot proximity rule and the vacation/too big a distance from home rule.

My observation is that more maintenance problems exist (or at least come to my attention) with geocachers who have dropped out of the game/lost interest, but still have caches out in the wild.

Maintenance concerns are important and can be raised directly with the cache owner (always best) or with the area's local or state geocaching organization (if there is one), or with the volunteer admin who covers that area.

|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|

Keystone Approver, Geocaching.com Admin

"Eschewing Entropy and Ensuring Enthalpy in the Groundspeak Forums"

Sorry, Woodsters, but I'm not going to get into that discussion with you in a thread about how many caches an indivdual has hidden. If it's important to you, pull up one of the existing threads on vacation caches, or send me an e-mail. Thanks!

|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|

Keystone Approver, Geocaching.com Admin

"Eschewing Entropy and Ensuring Enthalpy in the Groundspeak Forums"

quote:
Originally posted by joefrog:

I have one in the back of my suv ready to be placed -- does that count as a locationless and/or mobile cache until then?

Do you leave the doors unlocked, are you going to put a hide a key for us and call it a multi, or should we just break the window and sign the log?

"I'm not Responsible... just ask my wife, She'll confirm it"

quote:
Originally posted by TeamX40:

Here's a guy with

Traditional Caches 273

Virtual Caches 24

Unknown (Mystery) Caches 9

Multi-caches 1

Event Caches 2

Travel Bug Dog Tags 59

quote:
Originally posted by Salvelinus:

icon_confused.gif

If you look at the profile for King B you will see that his forum title is "King of cache density". A long time ago I wrote to him with concerns about the quantity and density of his caches. In the email I told him I was concerned that he was becoming the King of cache density. His attention to his caches quickly swayed me to his side. I also notice that cachers like his caches and there were no problems discussed in the MN forums. I have found several of his caches as well so I know his style of hiding. Many of those caches are archived so he can move them and allow an area to not be damaged very much. His caches are usually easy to approve because he knows the guidelines for his area and for the GC.com site and adheres to them both rigidly.

mtn-man... admin brick mason

"approver of all trades" -- per Woodsters Outdoors