Inventive/Innovative Caches

bjbest

I've been involved with geocaching for oh about a year and a half now, but I've only found 45 according to my profile (I had to check), and of those, I would say only a handful of those have been unique or memorable. Ultimately, many of the cache hunts I've been on (mainly in MO, IL, and WI) amount to a brief walk in the woods followed by a hunt for the cache in or under a nearby log, stump, tree, rock, or bush. Now, I'm certainly not criticizing those who place caches like these (as I have placed a few of these myself), and I also understand that there are numerous reasons why people choose to go geocaching in the first place (a chance to get outside, introduction to a new park/other public location, the reward of a unique location/vista, the numbers race, etc., etc., etc.). However, for me, the hobby got boring. I wonder how many people are out there have a story similar to mine (although odds are they aren't reading these forums).

This is also not to say there aren't good, interesting caches around. Here in Wisconsin, the Wisconsin Geocaching Association has a Cache of the Month each month, as voted on by the proletariat (http://www.wi-geocaching.com/cache_month.shtml). The St. Louis Area Geocachers Association reviews select good caches on its site (http://www.geostl.com/#FeaturedCaches). A way of marking a favorite cache, as has been discussed for at least a year now on these forums, would also be beneficial in terms of rewarding both hiders (in terms of recognition) and seekers (in terms of an excellent cache) of interesting, novel, or otherwise strong caches.

My experiences may also be based on the general topography of where I've searched. Most of the public land around here is rolling hills and lots of deciduous forest. If you're going to hunt or hide caches around here, that's pretty much where you're going to have to go. But that doesn't mean all of the caches need to be, essentially, the same.

All of the preceding notwithstanding, I am interested in hearing individuals describe innovative or inventive caches they have found or placed. By exchanging ideas and building on them, perhaps we can encourage the placement of more innovative caches.

[This message was edited by bjbest on October 22, 2002 at 06:00 PM.]

I felt I was getting too wonky, so I thought I'd post my own experiences in a separate message.

I've hidden two caches recently that try to be innovative in at least some small way. The first is Barking (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=39212 ), which, you might be able to guess, is hidden about 30 feet up a pine tree, strapped to the branches. I'm sure I'm not the first one to do this, but it's interesting, fairly unique, and (comparatively) easy to do in a pine tree.

The other is Tricks (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=39386 ), a four-stage puzzle multi-cache. However, these puzzles aren't the typical "calculate-the-coordinates" puzzles that I've seen previously. Go to http://pages.prodigy.net/bjbest/geocaching/tricks.doc if you'd like to see the puzzles (Microsoft Word format), and feel free to e-mail me with the answer if you'd like (most people, I've found, don't solve it correctly the first time around). Furthermore, the first three cache containers are hidden in more interesting locations than normal. One is about seven feet up in a dead tree (you have to build a small step out of scattered logs to get up there). For another, you have to walk on a (large) fallen tree, across a stream, to the cache which is hidden on the fallen tree, about 15 feet off the ground. The third is "hidden" in plain view, hung from a tree branch about 15 feet off the ground, requiring a long stick to retrieve.

I've received pretty positive comments about both of these caches, and I think it goes to show that seekers do appreciate the extra thought and effort involved in an interesting/unusual cache.

There are two others I'd like to submit for your consideration, both from the St. Louis area:

CMPL Box (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=1810 ) is a letterbox/geocache combo disguised as a book and hidden among the stacks at a local library. Very different and interesting.

Pirates' Treasure (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=2606 ) is very clever. Using some math and UTM coordinates, you find four separate locations. Plotting the correct route between the points on your GPS, an X is formed on your map screen. The X marks the spot of the final cache.

I hope to get one more cache hidden soon around here; I'll post the details here when I do.

I agree.

I am certainly one who can 'appreciate the extra thought and effort involved in an interesting/unusual cache.' Now I only have 25 finds under my belt and no hides (yet) so I don't think I can say that one has hit me particularly special as of yet. This past weekend I was in Northern Michigan near Gaylord and went on 3 hunts there (all I had time for) and they were all very nice and different from what I have experienced down where I live near Detroit. Two of them were placed at outlooks and it was perfect timing for the color change up there to that made the caches that much more memorable. I have my first cache to hide in the works and its important to me to have it be a good one. I have a couple of ideas in mind as far as what I would like to do but am still keeping my eyes open for the 'different'.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Coming Around, New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

To a certain degree, I'm a big fan of the standard cache. I like the idea of going for a walk and finding a cache relatively easily at the end of it.

That said, I'm not totally against unusual caches either. So far, all the caches I have found have been pretty standard. The most memorable though?

That would probably be The Athens of The North. As it happens, I didn't find the cache, but it was well worth it for the spectacular views of Edinburgh.

------

O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Hamlet, II.2 252-253

I agree that reading the coordinates off the cache listing, driving out there, taking a short walk through the woods, then spending an hour or so looking for a needle in a haystack is often not very challenging or fun. How can anybody be sattisfied to do that hundreds of times?

I have placed 4 caches, with 8 more in immediate process, which I hope will raise the bar in encouraging geocaching to be more challenging and adventurous. Some are strongly geographic-mathematical in nature, but some will be other types of more graphic puzzles with unique methodologies of converting the graphic solutions to coordinates. Most will be of 5-star difficulty.

Check out this one, and others by Don&Betty. There are better ones to come soon. Watch for them too.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=39410

Furthermore, I invite you all to copy these ideas verbatim, refigured to work with the new coordinates of the cache you hide. If you do, just please give credit to the original person who "invented" it. It really is a shame to go to all that trouble, to work out a complex puzzle, just for a small group of locals to solve and search for. Better that somebody's good cache-puzzle idea be copied to place caches by many people around the world so many many others can solve that same puzzle, to find some diffferent, local-to-them cache.

There are times when I'm up for a ***/**** cache, and then there are times when I just want to be outside, with a purpose, but not doing anything too taxing, so a */* or **/* is more what I'm looking for. And when I'm in the mood to be frustrated, maybe a ****/* or any of georgeandmary's micros. I appreciate them all.

--Marky

I think all the variety of caches serve their purpose.

There is a new series of ****/* caches by Dr. Ufo Koska that are very fun. No stupid little puzzles or extended education mathematics. Just a challenge of your searching skills.

I also like getting out on challenging hikes. Now this one is listed as ****/****, but should be listed as */*****. It was a quick find after the long cross country trek.

The caches I really have no taste for are those that you have to go to the library and do research for. The hiding location is like an after thought. I'll just throw it here because I just wanted to show how brilliant I am. I'm not an ego maniac I'm just a Genius and everyone will know after this cache.

Preparation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpggeol1.jpg

Mokita!

bgbest: Why don't you create theme caches. I got into covered bridges and did tours - one was a 4 bridge virtual where the finder reports clues, another a 3 bridge where you gather clues for the coordinates of a onventional container at the last bridge. At one bridge I just hid a container nearby.

Since you're into astronomy, how about hiding one near an observatory or doing a tour of observatories where you gather data like my bridge tour for a cache location. You can do waterfall themes, high peaks, how about Wisconsin cheeze farms. icon_wink.gif

what's nice about hiding these is you have to do a lot of research and planning and you can really get into it. It's amazing afterwards how many people will think your theme is really neat because they have similar interests or just because it's different.

Try it.

Alan

Not to toot my own horn but our Earth, Wind and Fire Cache near Crescent City, California is, without question, the finest cache on this or any other planet. (There is no humility in my family, I have it all.)

Seriously, we spent a great deal of time and effort to plan and execute EWF. It's a nine stage multi-cache that does entail considerable puzzle solving. However, it also involves compass work and offset waypoints in addition to straight GPSr work. we believe that it's "hunter-gatherer" concept MAY BE unique in Geocaching. We've had several finders log that it was the best cache find they have ever done.

EWF is not an easy cache and several would-be finders have abandoned it at various stages. We don't understand why these people didn't just use the cheats provided along the way. No shame in that is there?

The virtual cache referred to (second stage) is a circular memorial cemetery containing the graves of a small portion of the 212 victims of a shipwreck off our coast in the 19th century. The loss of the Brother Jonathan was and still is the worst maritime disaster in California history. The coordinates for the cache's third stage are based on names and dates on the headstones and on other features of the monument.

The link below is for the decrypted hint version. Here you can read why the cache is called Earth, Wind & Fire.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?pf=&ID=9988&decrypt=y&log=

eagle_fly3_cld_md_wht.gif

I'm out of my mind right now but you can leave a beep after the message.

[This message was edited by Seesthewind and Redwoodmama on October 24, 2002 at 12:50 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

bgbest: Why don't you create theme caches.

Or you could combine things and create a themed puzzle cache...

I humbly submit Cloak and Dagger, Hammer and Sickle for consideration. It's a themed cache that enlists the finder to help 'crack' the case of a fictional Cold War-era Soviet spy ring.

The encrypted spy messages lead to a pair of microcaches, each of which has half of a set of coordinates...in cyrillic Russian text. The final cache looks (in spy tradition) completely unlike a cache container at all, and it's stocked with a bunch of old USSR pins and medals from Russia that I picked up fairly cheap. It's pretty new, but it's gotten some nice logs so far.

This one, KeyChase, in Ottawa Ontario Canada has a travel-bug-like "Key" that is circulated in local area caches. It has the co-ordinates for the "Keychase" cache on it and when you come into possesion of it, it unlocks something where it takes you to. And then you're on a short multi. Afterwards you keep the key and deposit it in the next cache you do, 36 hours later and post the new location on the cache page.

And incedentally, one of my favorite cache pics of a night raid.

688838_200.jpg

WooHoo!

Actually, the most memorable one is our third find. Kidding Around We did it sans GPS and had to keep going back to the house to plug in the infomation and get the next point. I'm not too fond of just fill-in-the-blank type clues, but this one wasn't bad. But what stuck in our mind was the end-game.

It was a night with a slight drizzle. By flashlight we had to search several hundred names to find two particular ones next to each other, and this was the cheat! Then we still couldn't find the micro. It wasn't until a short break did we find it. The hide was VERY clever and because this is in a very active playground and hasn't been accidently found yet is testimony of it's cleverness.

There are other nice finds, but this one stands out the most. I won't post the endgame here, but if you want to know more about the hide, email me.

As for difficult caches, my wife's attitude is if we don't come back with "battle scars" we haven't had a good weekend. icon_wink.gif

CR

-- Insert pithy aphorism here --

quote:
Originally posted by Zartimus:

This one, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=39242, in Ottawa Ontario Canada has a travel-bug-like "Key" that is circulated ...

I heard about one like this around Portland or somewhere. I want to do one like it around here--Charleston, SC area. Any idea who did the original find-the-key-type cache? I want to give credit where due.

CR

We know this is a geocaching website, but we wanted to add a little extra fun. icon_biggrin.gif Some members might not like this idea because the cache page

has sound to it. If you have cable, it's not a problem. Dial up might take a little longer to download. Please keep all comments positive! icon_smile.gif A lot of time and energy went into this cache and we don't want a member to bust our bubble. LOL

After all, it seems to be a hit already. icon_cool.gif

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=40867

Duane

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

Our feet go where the caches are! feet.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

I heard about one like this around Portland or somewhere. I want to do one like it around here--Charleston, SC area. Any idea who did the original find-the-key-type cache? I want to give credit where due.

You mean this one?

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

quote:
Originally posted by oregone:

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

You mean http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=1003?

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

Yep, that's the one. I've now got it bookmarked so I can give credit where credit's due.

thanks

CR

Your contact cache was the ONE of my favorites. It was a very HARD puzzle to figure out but you did give enough clues to get the job done. And the container was in a neat local. Suprized it didn't get plunderd though....

Another of my FAV's is EWF. The best multicache I had ever had the plesure to figure out. It took a couple of trips to the cemetary to get the next coords but it was a blast after that. Good job Mike. icon_smile.gif

I got kind of BURNT out on caching for awhile but am getting the urge to go again. The go find, log, post, was grtting old but I have yet to hit the 100 mark barrier. Now we have some new ACTIVE cachers in out area and it/s adding some life to the sport/hobbie so now I/WE (Geogadgets Team) don't have to drive 100 miles to llok for a cache.

"My gps say's it RIGHT HERE".

http://www.w6hy.org

KF6VFH

quote:
Originally posted by Zartimus:

This one, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=39242, in Ottawa Ontario Canada has a travel-bug-like "Key" that is circulated in local area caches. It has the co-ordinates for the "Keychase" cache on it and when you come into possesion of it, it unlocks something where it takes you to

This looks like an idea I'm going to copy in the area near me.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

I've been very fortunate to be able to geocache in an assortment of different states since discovering this hobby for Christmas. I love the caches hidden in the mountains of Arizona ... and, some of their urban caches are really very challenging. The Indiana, Wisconsin and Michigan caches are fun, but they’re very similar in difficulty and terrain. The Chicago cachers seem to work extra hard at making the actual find very difficult.

But, the absolute best cache I've completed is right here in my backyard. The Journal is rcharlier's creation of a lifetime for a geocacher who likes to hike and solve puzzles. St. Louis and Chicago have so many caches that this puzzle, hidden half way between the two cities, seems to get overlooked.

It's a theme hunt, with the theme centering on an old family chest which was left behind in the 1800s. The write-up on geocaching.com doesn't give one a clue to the complexness of this puzzle. I don't want to give anything away, but I’ll tell you that it is a multi- within a multi-; which simply challenges you to stretch your physical and mental abilities. No, you don't have to be an Olympic endurance runner nor a PhD candidate. But, you've got to have a great big dollop of perseverance (stubbornness finally pays off). You can't look up the answers to the puzzles on the internet nor in the library ... you've got to do your own cogitating. To give you an idea of rcharlier's dedication to the theme and to making this a memorable cache hunt; the prize for the first finder was an 1879 silver dollar ... with the second finder scoring an 1899 silver dollar. The original clues were all engraved on brass plaques … but, since they tended to tarnish, he’s replaced them with something more permanent.

So, St. Louis and Chicago cachers, you’re really missing a great experience if you don’t try this one.

Jeepster

- We did not inherit the land from our parents; we are borrowing it from our children.

I just wanted to thank everyone who posted their unique caches. There are some really neat ideas out there.

Also, regarding those who say they prefer more standard caches, I certainly understand that point of view. I definitely don't want to see *all* caches become these specialized types. What I guess I would like to see in the caches I hunt is evidence that some thought went into placing it (this echoes a sentiment expressed earlier). This could be in the form of work done by a hider beforehand desinging a unique or challenging cache, in the form of an excellent hiding location / vista near the cache, or ideally both. But those who said we need variety in our cache hunting are exactly right.

As promised, I hid two more caches that fall under innovative/interesting, I think. The first is Puzzle Box (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=41134 ). I won't describe it here; read the cache page. I'm particularly proud of this one, in terms of uniqueness and interestingness. If you are interested in learning more about the puzzle box, want to know what the "secret" is, or would like to see some more pictures (I took a bunch before I sealed it), please contact me.

The other is Try Angulation (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=41136 ). One guess as to what this one involves. There were three interesting sculptures in the park where Puzzle Box is hidden, so it was easy to make this one up. I think it's an interesting idea that isn't *too* taxing, challenge-wise; it uses some basic orienteering type skills that everyone should at least be able to fumble their way through, in my opinion; and it's easy to set up if you have distinctive landmarks like these sculptures.

Again, thanks for all the comments.

I haven't posted in this thread yet, because I really can't provide any concrete info about our Perfectly Perplexing Puzzles that wouldn't run the risk of spoiling it for someone. However, if you're 500 miles away and will never get a chance to look for it, I do have some pictures I can share. I can say that it's a true puzzle multicache that doesn't involve answering any quiz questions or doing any math. At each stage, the coordinates of the next stage are encoded in a one-of-a-kind puzzle that comes without solving instructions of any kind. In one case, figuring out what you're supposed to do with the pieces is the hard part. In another case, actually doing what you're supposed to do is the hard part. As the cache description says, you don't need a calculator or a research library.

Sometime this week, we will be placing our second physical cache, codenamed "Shortwave." The concept is simple: the cache is your basic 30 caliber ammo can hidden in the woods, but the given coordinates are only approximate. The actual coordinates are written in plain English on several laminated cards placed in other local caches. Each card contains the full coordinates of the "Shortwave" cache, so you only need one. Simple, right? Not so fast: once you have the coordinates, the actual cache is around a 1.5/2. Getting the coordinates will be difficulty 4 or 5, even though they're written right there on the card in your hand. No math problems, no quiz questions, no cryptology, and no puzzle solving will be involved.

warm.gif

Discovered this thread almost a year after the fact. I think we all need to continue sharing the unusuals.

The inventive Jedi Test cahe series around here is awsome. One of these, Jedi Test #4 -The Night Raid inspired me to create another "darkness cache", The Dark Star. Both are puzzles with unknown cache container coordinates, but you don't need to fill worksheets or do math to get there.

I prefer placing different caches. Now there are enough that I won't really be giving too much away.

This one gives the coords in the form of trees and hints of trees, at the arboretum they are numbered (but there is a false possibility so you have to pay attention).

Another is a night cache, but rather than just a trail of reflectors, it's an offset so you have to use the GPS as well. A new night-cache will be a multi, so even more GPS usage.

One has good camo, it's in a box of the same material as the surroundings and frequently gets passed over by touch.

I had one way up in a tree (offset), which was so popular I found another big enough to hide a regular container without being offset.

One needs wind, as you get the coords via three flags.

Some of the ideas were found via the forums (night caches) then enhanced, most others were stimulated by the areas.

Enjoy,

Randy

quote:
Originally posted by Xitron:

I'm not really into the puzzle caches, but I'm starting to like the physical ones.

Physical as in good/hard hike, or as in well-hidden cache? Both can be fun for sure.

I haven't done in well-hidden micros yet, though I'd like to try a few. I prefer the ones off-the-beaten-path more than the urban ones.

-BB