ARE YOU A GEOCACHER OR A GEOBLABBER?

canadazuuk

I said quit a lot of both. I love forums and have been here since (my) day one. I started out in these forums looking for info on new GPS's on the market since my current GPSr was 4 years old. So from the forums I was hooked then I started caching soon after and then, I was really hooked.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching without a clue....

Voted: a little bit of each

Lately, we've been doing more blabbing than caching, but hope to make up for some of that this weekend! Can't wait to tell everyone of the fun adventure that is willing to listen and have that look of... "oh wow sounds like fun!" icon_wink.gif ... most of the time... But...other times? ...well, you know the BLANK look! icon_confused.gif

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a cache.

This is the first day I ever visited the forums. What do you guys talk about in here?

What do you have in your Geocaching back pack?

What GPS should I buy? Alot of people talk about the GPS V like it's god!? What do you think about auto-routing?

Why should I pay to geocache? What does a premium member get?

How do I post a picture in my post?

39197_3500.jpg39197_3600.jpg

POWDER!!!!!!

ARE YOU A GEOCACHER OR A GEOBLABBER?

Please explain how the forums have enhanced your overall geocaching experience.

Or have they left you with an ill feeling?

I am both. I love to geoblab, not just here, but in local groups and through work with local agencies and property owners. I also love to geocache. If I didn't, I would not geoblab!

How have the forums enhanced my overall geocaching experience? Well, I have met some really wonderful people here. I have made friends that I like and trust. I enjoy their posts and sharing the caching experience in written words with them. Some I have met and we had the forums as an ice breaker and a shared knowledge that made the meeting even more nice. Others I really look forward to meeting. Some I will likely never meet, but I like the idea that I know them in some very small way and that we can share our joy of caching here on the forums.

Then, there are the related side things. I once drove out of my way to pick up a travel bug owned by a forum poster; I have had some great help on various caching issues through contacts from forum posters, and; I have generally felt a nice sense of community here. I have also shared the loss of a pet in a private topic (in the old forums) and got wonderful support that helped me alot. I have shared private jokes and non-caching related info with people I met here who have other non-caching related hobbies in common with me. Through the forums, I have met people that are not just caching friends, but also friends involved in my other hobbies.

Have the forums left me with an ill feeling? Generally no. Sure, there are disagreements, but often I find those interesting and enjoy reading them, if not taking part in them. There is sometimes outright angst, which I have never been a fan of, but I then either take a breath and calmly jump in, or decide that I want nothing to do with it and happily ignore. Sometimes people get nasty, which always baffles me, but is a fact of internet forum life. Normally I try to stay out of that or not let it get to me. I have in a few instances sent a private message trying to calm things down and received a nice reply. On a rare occasion something got to me. Once someone called an idea of mine that was a very slight majority view "lame" with no explanation. That bugged me, not because it was called "lame" but because there was no clearly articulated reason given from that particular person. I decided to discount it, but did have to take a breath and remind myself that it was not personal. What is funny is that I later decided that I agreed with the slight minority view, but obviously not from that person's post and instead from the thoughtful responses that were given! On another occasion a person who was repeatedly abusive just got to me and I sort of flamed the person in my own really wierd wishy washy apologetic way. I later even felt bad about it even though others seemed impressed that I sort of flamed a person. In hindsight, I guess I don't regret that.

Overall, I am Carleen: Geoblabber and Geocacher. I love them both!

Edited by carleenp

Am I insane, or was this topic in the general forum a few minutes ago? I posted and got a wierd error message and then it was here! I hope I haven't had too much beer tonight!

Edit: OK, I see that it got moved. Good to know I am not insane, or at least not THAT insane. But why was it moved? Oh well.... Back to the beer!

Edited by carleenp
ARE YOU A GEOCACHER OR A GEOBLABBER?<BR><BR>Please explain how the forums have enhanced your overall geocaching experience.<BR><BR>Or have they left you with an ill feeling?

Posts made by most of the Canadian crowd have left me with an ill feeling, but everyone else is pretty much ok :rolleyes:

Maybe that's it....I thought it was all the devilled eggs I ate for lunch........ :o

ARE YOU A GEOCACHER OR A GEOBLABBER?<BR><BR>Please explain how the forums have enhanced your overall geocaching experience.<BR><BR>Or have they left you with an ill feeling?

Posts made by most of the Canadian crowd have left me with an ill feeling, but everyone else is pretty much ok :rolleyes:

Maybe that's it....I thought it was all the devilled eggs I ate for lunch........ :o

Ok...just finished reading more Canadian threads, and I've decided it wasn't the eggs afterall... :D

I like the kind of camaraderie that only geoblabbing can provide. :-) And I highly recommend people get out to the organized caches and pub nites to meet other geocachers. Around here the typical Geocacher seems to be a 30 or 40 something professional person with palm pilot. ;-)

Posts made by most of the Canadian crowd have left me with an ill feeling, but everyone else is pretty much ok :(

Maybe that's it....I thought it was all the devilled eggs I ate for lunch........ :(

Ok...just finished reading more Canadian threads, and I've decided it wasn't the eggs afterall... :(

What the.......... Since when did this thread become an opportunity to bash your fellow Canucks north of the border?

Actually, while I'm here, how is it that a thread that was started last Aug/03 suddenly finds its way back up on the top of the thread heap in Apr/04 and then suddenly gets moved?

Posts made by most of the Canadian crowd have left me with an ill feeling, but everyone else is pretty much ok :(

Maybe that's it....I thought it was all the devilled eggs I ate for lunch........ :(

Ok...just finished reading more Canadian threads, and I've decided it wasn't the eggs afterall... :blink:

What the.......... Since when did this thread become an opportunity to bash your fellow Canucks north of the border?

Given the esteem the rest of the world holds for the US, I have no problem if they want to boost their self esteem by slagging Canadians. It's kind of like being called ugly by a wart - you can't actually take it too seriously. :(

Given the esteem the rest of the world holds for the US, I have no problem if they want to boost their self esteem by slagging Canadians.  It's kind of like being called ugly by a wart - you can't actually take it too seriously.  :(

Damned if that wasn't a good comeback.

========

Geo 16B

Not bad for a Canuck, I suppose.... :(:lol::(:blink::(