Free National Geographic Topo!

Well not exactly, since you are only "borrowing it", but here's the deal. Become a hike reporter for the www.localhikes.com website. It's a website dedicated to listing hiking trails throughout the country.

If you are accepted as a reporter, you are given a copy of Topo! for your state and you get to keep it as long as you submit ocassional hike reports. Of course, they want the software back if you end your association with the website, or fail to live up to your part of the agreement, which is simply to periodically document nice hikes in your region.

Not a bad deal. I just got my Northeastern USA Topo! software today.

"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"

As for a review of NG topo I think it is far and above superior to Garmins TOPO Mapsource that I have for my Garmin 76S. I use the NG product 90% of the time. The NG Topo produces clearer more deatiled maps at the USGS 1:24 scale and with a shade feature which makes the maps look more elevation friendly. NG has more usuable features but the only drawback is you can't download NG maps into your gpsr. You can download waypoints between NG topo and your gpsr.

sidewinder

LOST AND FOUND DEPT.

Good deal. Thanks. I have done several papers on the trails in the state park already. I can save them for a time when I get lazy.

No one listed for this area yet. May get it.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

The National Geographic Topo! software, is by many accounts, one of the best available. It works with all GPS units (as far as I know), but you can't download maps from it to your GPS. You'll need your manufacturer's proprietery software to do that. But for every other use, it works great.

"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"

I checked it out, but unfortunately, I use a Mac and they don't support it. My PC is so old that it isn't supported. I plan to soon either take over my parents old PC or get a windows operating system program for the Mac and then I will probably sign up. Does anyone know if the the topo software supports Mac? Not really a big deal though if I get either the Mac software to run windows or my parents old PC.

I love my Mac since it suits my needs for video editing and there are no blue screens of death, but sometimes, such as in cases like this, the lack of software is annoying!

pokeanim3.gif

Hey, BrianSnat, thanks for the info. Don't know if I'm ready to be a reporter yet - still no digital camera. But the site is really interesting and I thank you for pointing it out.

Catcher24

"You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." Jim Bouton

quote:
Originally posted by Team Kender:

Any reviews on the NG Topo? Is it superior to the Magellan and Garmin type Topo software?

-Dan

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

Yes, the software interface blows away the competition. I use topo all the time...I can just jump in and quickly download or upload waypoints,etc. Teh map details are so much better. I just don't like delorme...I did buy the newer version not too long ago, while it does have some nice features, I end up using TOPO! a heck lot more.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Well not exactly, since you are only "borrowing it", but here's the deal. Become a hike reporter for the http://www.localhikes.com website. It's a website dedicated to listing hiking trails throughout the country.

If you are accepted as a reporter, you are given a copy of Topo! for your state and you get to keep it as long as you submit ocassional hike reports. Of course, they want the software back if you end your association with the website, or fail to live up to your part of the agreement, which is simply to periodically document nice hikes in your region.

Not a bad deal. I just got my Northeastern USA Topo! software today.

_"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"_

Well I quickly filled out my app. It sounds like a great thing. Thanks for posting this in the forums.

Bluespreacher

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer

quote:
Originally posted by Team Kender:

Any reviews on the NG Topo? Is it superior to the Magellan and Garmin type Topo software?

-Dan

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

I see you are in the SF Bay area, If you are near San Rafael, If you are near Marin Outdoors, they have a copy of NG Topo you can look at and Also the Garmin and Magellan Topo products. NG is much better. The NG Topo software is made from scaned USGS 7.5 minute Quads. They also have a Mac version for Ca. due out in the fall.

Heard from them today. Have to do your first hike within 30 days and then at least 1 every 60 days there on. Nice freebies if you do more. Looking forward to getting the software and getting started. Have a couple of VC's at a out of the way WMR that I will hit and do a double dip with this group.

Got approved pretty quickly.

[This message was edited by bigredmed on June 17, 2003 at 03:36 PM.]

approved

brian, is there a way to edit the bio or photo once it is sent in? i did a fast cheesy bio, and clipped a quick photo from some waterfall in the Cats.

just curious.. you may have figured it out already.

robbie

they answered my question already. email a new bio or photo and they update it for you. quick response.

wings_flag.gif

A family that Geocaches together... eventually gets wet.

required reading

My first bible

[This message was edited by Theole34 on June 18, 2003 at 01:24 PM.]

Just did my first two reports. They turn out neat. The detail of the maps is great, but the maps are not the same age. I went to a NWR near Omaha for a couple of VC's and reported on the trails that are used to get to the VC's. The map at level 4 was relatively current, though it lacked the boundaries of the NWR. Level 5 (full magnification) lacked the boundaries, but also the free flowing water through the chute.

Still this is kind of fun. Looking for more trails to map.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nebraskache/

Just thought I'd bump this one back to the top. It's a pretty good deal for the reporter and the hiking public. It does take some work and time, so don't do it unless you are willing make the effort.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on July 22, 2003 at 05:47 PM.]

Yes...it is a good deal for all. I was approved about a month ago.

I just got an email from them a few minutes ago, in fact. They are going to start assigning hikes to reporters each month just like a newspaper assigns stories to reporters.

The assignment is strictly voluntary, of course ("should you decide to accept this mission...") because the entire program is voluntary.

The assignments could be good for the reporters, though, because they just might want to send you someplace really cool that you've never been.

It's a really cool website and although I have yet to post a report, I highly recommend any outdoor enthusiasts to apply and participate.

And thanks, Brian, for posting this in the first place.

============="If it feels good...do it"==============

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")

Thanks for the heads up Brian.

Will have to fill out an app right away.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

Desert Warrior: please do a hike in the Guadelupe Mountains Park area. I have very wonderful ,e,ories of the museum, houses and hike out to the spring/pond.

I signed up and will try and find some hikes in the flatest land possible...Houston Tx! My 1st resource will be llt.org This is my new favorite resource.

Thanks for posting this!

Wahhooo!!

Just been accepted. Cant wait to write up a hike.

I like writing and now I have an even better reason to get out and hit those geocaches that are a 3 hour hike in. icon_smile.gif

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

quote:
I like writing and now I have an even better reason to get out and hit those geocaches that are a 3 hour hike in. icon_smile.gif

It really is a cool program. I've done four hike reviews so far ... I'm finding having the excuse to write a review provides a good bit of motivation for me to get out there each weekend and do a good hike ... and my 8 yr. old son has really been getting into too, which is all the better. As I type this we are getting ready to head out the door to go hike a bit of the Appalachian Trail to Annapolis Rocks.

I also enjoy writing and am rarely ever short on words, which is not a good thing for this program! You will find yourself spending more time condensing your report into the very minimal space provided than actually writing. That is probably a welcome relief for many though. icon_wink.gif

The Topo! software is well worth the efforts. It is simply awesome software. It has a few drawbacks, for instance the options for working with your tracks aren't great, but the maps features are definately very nice.

Good luck ... have fun!

Brian

-=-=-=-=-=-

GPS_Brian

=-=-=-=-=-=

Looks like we are the first hike reporteers in the Dallas area. There are a lot of caches, cachers, and both cached and uncached places in this area. Looking forward to adding information to this web site, looks interesting. Thanks,

astrojr1&The World Famous G-O-GardenerGal

astrojr1&G-O-GardenerGal

I just received a newsletter from localhikes.com. In it they list the new hikes and the new reporters.

I noticed that 12 of the 38 new reporters mentioned Geocaching in their profile. I'll bet that most of them came from this thread. I'm one of them.

Thanks for telling us of that site Brian.

Mickey

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Kaz:

Desert Warrior: please do a hike in the Guadelupe Mountains Park area. I have very wonderful ,e,ories of the museum, houses and hike out to the spring/pond.

Hmmmm... those hikes are on my list of things I would like to do.... but I probably won't get to it before I retire - again. Although if we ever get a van that will carry all our gear AND 4 Texas Chihuahuas, maybe then....

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Got my software yesterday and just posted 3 hikes.

This NG TOPO! software is really nice! Makes putting together a report really easy.

Time to get out and log some more trails.

This is fun!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

quote:
Originally posted by MaxEntropy:

I just received a newsletter from localhikes.com. In it they list the new hikes and the new reporters.

I noticed that 12 of the 38 new reporters mentioned Geocaching in their profile. I'll bet that most of them came from this thread. I'm one of them.

So am I

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Waterboss:

Can you copy the software before you send it back?

Yes, illegal, and why bother...it's free. If you have an interest in topos of your area, you probably spend a good deal of time outside, so why not just report a hike or two in compliance with with the website? It's easy, fun and gives you one more reason to be outdoors. You could even find or place a cache while doing so.

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

quote:
Originally posted by sept1c_tank:

quote:
Originally posted by Waterboss:

Can you copy the software before you send it back?

Yes, illegal, and why bother...it's free. If you have an interest in topos of your area, you probably spend a good deal of time outside, so why not just report a hike or two in compliance with with the website? It's easy, fun and gives you one more reason to be outdoors. You could even find or place a cache while doing so.

Well said. This hike reporting is fun. Neat to see how the pieces we write on the web engine come together so well on the users website. Their software really seems to work well.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nebraskache/

I signed up and am waiting to hear back... There was no one listed in my area so I am sure it will be approved. They only require 6 hikes a year which is nothing... I probably do that in 2-3 months... Used to be more but having a wee little one now has reduced our hiking time. At least till she's a bit older.

---------------------------------------------------

frog.gif Free your mind and the rest will follow frog.gif