Digital Camera for caching.

Desert_Warrior

Those of you who know of me know I hike a lot. Much more than I cache. Wife just bought me a digital camera for hiking. Here it is.

Sony DCS-U20

It weighs 4.2 ounces, and takes GREAT photos. Only two down-sides. 1. No zoom. 2. AAA batteries. Everything else in my pack uses AA batteries.

Price in the Ft. Bliss PX was $189, with a 128mb memory stick. This thing it TINY!

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Like the size of it (and I can see where stealth mode might be intresting icon_smile.gif ). But it would be cooler if it took SD cards instead of memory stick.

That aside, I may have to add something like that to my list of toys.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

Hey, cool. I just bought one similar to Desert Warriors. Its the DSC-U60. Its a similar camera but its waterproof. I have only taken about 100 pics with it so far and it does a good job. Its a fun camera and its nice to know that I can take pics in the rain and underwater if need be. The other nice thing is that its easy to wash officon_wink.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching with a clue....

Check out http://www.dpreview.com/ Digital Camera Review a great site for reviews and forums etc.

Great camera for caching and for use elsewheres is the Canon S-400. It's pricey but you can wear it on your belt and although its tiny takes great pictures at 4MP and 3x optical zoom.

A great printer is the Canon i950. I've printed 8 x 10's that are absolutely stunning. As good or better than from the lab.

Good luck

Alan

Alan

I have an old Kodak Dc210 plus. It's now discontinued. I bought it 4 yrs ago for around $400-500. Digital Cameras have come a long way since then and so has the price. It takes good pictures though. It uses the compact flash cards, which I have 3 of. 8MB that came with the camera, a 15MB, and a 16MB. On the highest setting (best quality picture) I can get around 50+ pics each on the 2 higher cards. One of those cards came in a kit that I bought a couple years ago that also came with a camera bag, 4 rechargeable batteries (AA) and a charger.

One day I want to get a way nicer digital camera. The digital is nicer for taking photos that you don't necessarily wanna frame. For those type I have my Canon Rebel EOS 35mm.

Brian

www.woodsters.com

I bought the same camera for my wife. I was at Circuit City and saw one as an "open box special". I checked it over and it was in perfect condition and included everything. They wanted $169 for it; I offered $149. He said he couldn't do that, but would get the manager if I liked. Sure, get the manager. The manager came over, went to the computer/cash register, turned around and said, "What about $119?". I bought it!

I have several digicams with higher pixel counts, but I was blown away by the quality if this one. Especially the absence of 'purple fringe' in high contrast areas. Also I can't get over the size. This thing is tiny! My wife keeps it in a hard case made for eyeglasses.

DW, you've made an excellent choice.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I'm eagerly awaiting my Canon A-70. Amazon shipped it yesterday.

I've had the A70 for a couple months now. I think it's a great camera. Uses AA batteries and CF memory. It has a 3X optical zoom and a host of other options (and yes, it can be used in stealth mode). Not as small as the Sony DSC-U20, but nice form factor.

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

Does the camera beep when you take a picture or can you use it in stealth mode (no beep)?

The beep mode CAN be turned off for stealth photos.

Here is an example of the quality and ability of this little thing. Remember, I had to shrink this photo to upload it.

Is that thing food?

For 99% of my hiking and localhikes.com reporting, this is perfect.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

I've been using the Canon A-20 for about two years now, and I love it. It uses AA batteries and has a 3.5x optical zoom. I've even gotten a waterproof case for it so I can safely take it on canoe trips.

One of the first things I did with it is replace the 8M memory with 128M. I've never even come close to running out of 'film' since then, even though I leave it on the highest resolution and quality settings.

I can even take the pictures in to get printed in a camera shop. The 4x6 prints that result are good enough to pass as prints from a regular film camera.

I have the A70. Great pictures, small enough to be able to pack around. Weight is about right. Easy to use, great for macro shots. For picture developing, I take the CF card to Shutterbug, local camera store, down the street and print out. $0.45 per print on 4X6 picture stock. I also found a website www.photoaccess.com that lets you download photos and send them out to others for viewing. You can also order prints from them. Also have a Maha Energy recharger, 8 AA batteries plus a charger for around $60. Has a 110 and car adaptor for charging.

The SWMBO loves the camera. In full auto she just points and clicks.

A little OT, but does anybody have any soft cases that can carry the GPSr and the DC at the same time?

See the happy moron

He doesn't give a da**

I wish I were a moron

My God, perhaps I am

Author Unknown

quote:
Originally posted by Cooter13:

A little OT, but does anybody have any soft cases that can carry the GPSr and the DC at the same time?

Dunno if it will fit... but I just bought one of these. When it arrives, I will be able to tell you more.

SPEC OPS BRAND. Click on organizers - Pack-rat. Then browse around.

I will hang this from the sturnum strap of my Camelbak HAWG for quick access to digital camera, binoculars, etc.

El Paso, Texas.

I gave my wife the same camera...well almost...I gave her the newer model U30 but the features are almost identical. The only problem with the camera is RED EYE and it is the worst I've seen yet. I guess having the big flash directly on top the small lens causes this even when you use the red-eye flash. But I agree that outdoor daylight pics are amazing for a 2MP camera this small.

BTW, you can buy a sony case for that camera that has a camo design.

I also take this camera with me while geocaching when I plan to take pics.

This topic gives me a chance to ask a question about caching camers. I'm looking for a good, small digital camera that has 3mp. Something I can take with me anywhere. I'm not too worried about bells and whistles or what media it uses. Looking for something around the $300 area. Any thoughts?

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Scoobie

A day without sunshine is like.....NIGHT!

Now that you have a camera, you'll need good software.

If you have something you already know, I'd recommend sticking with it.

If not, check out "the GIMP"

It has a good advantage of being free as in 'free beer'

it is also regarded as being professional strength.

Windows and/or *nix OS.

http://www.gimp.org/

What the GIMP does not do automaticly that some other programs do do ... Red Eye removal.

quote:
Originally posted by scoobie10:

This topic gives me a chance to ask a question about caching camers. I'm looking for a good, small digital camera that has 3mp. Something I can take with me anywhere. I'm not too worried about bells and whistles or what media it uses. Looking for something around the $300 area. Any thoughts?

Scoobie

The Canon 230. It has 3 MP 2x optical zoom, good software in the box. It's the version right before the S400 with 4MP 3x but I had the 230 and it's a great camera that fits on your belt like a little cell phone. Well made metal. Shoots up to 640-480 JPEG movies too with sound. Price should be right around the 300 area by now.

Good luck

Alan

Digital, smigital, film is best. The next thing you will want to do is use electronics instead of a compa.....wait. That didn't come out right. And this probably isn't the place for that either.

Actually digital would be great for hiking but Canon just announced their EOS Rebel Digital w/6.3 Meg and SLR EOS compat lenses.

I once was lost, but now am found;

Was blind, but now I see.

[This message was edited by Titus2_13 on September 26, 2003 at 06:27 PM.]

quote:
had manual control over exposure and shutter speed

The A70 allows you to use either one manual with the opposite auto or both manual. That is why I went with the A70. I paid $300 for the A70, and I think that the price is like that all over the place, including local shops.

I suggest that you take a trip down to the local camera store and, just like a GPS, find out which one you like.

For the record, the Cannon I have has no problems with construction. However, as with all things electronic, one does run the risk of having a bum piece. I would think that a digital camera would be great while caching. I have found that I can review a picture and if the flash was too strong or something silly of that nature, you can correct, besides, you can post spoilers of the adventure.

See the happy moron

He doesn't give a da**

I wish I were a moron

My God, perhaps I am

Author Unknown

Fuji Film, Finepics S304 here. It's excellent. The software in the box is crap IMHO. However, the computer sees the camera as a disk drive when you plug in the USB cable so you can use any graphics software that you wish as long as it will 'download' in .jpg format. I am delighted with the camera although it is not the smallest one on the market.

Only nuts eat squirrels,

Snake

I had a Canon A20 and LOVED it! Around $300. In a shuffle amongst family members I now have the A40 - more features, lower price. Then Spark used her overtime pay for a camera dedicated for her classroom. Why change horses? The new low A model is the A60 and it is a very nice camera and is smaller than the A40. Paid about $150 for the camera in a deal that included a 264mb disk, camera case, cleaning kit and an additional 16mb disk. Total price around $244 plus shipping. 2 mpixles. 3x optical zoom and short movie feature. This price is well below the advertised $229 for the camera alone. Send email inquiry to me for retailer name if interested.

To complete the geo-geek look, the camera cases I buy are very small with a belt loop. The camera is always hanging at my side so I bring home three times as many photos now as I used to. And, of course, with digital you can immediately upload to the cache and benchmark pages.

The A70 should be a very nice camera also. It must be the 3 mpixel version.

quote:
The A70 allows you to use either one manual with the opposite auto or both manual. That is why I went with the A70. I paid $300 for the A70, and I think that the price is like that all over the place, including local shops.

My wife paid $260 for the A-70 (through Amazon I think). I'm still waiting. Come on UPS, what's taking so long?

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

Yes, UPS, get there quickly. My avatar is of the two boys this summer camping. It takes great pictures. Check out these picturesFireworks. I took these with the A70 at the McMinnville Jaycees Fourth of July Fireworks Show. No tripod, just me and the camera. It helps that I knew what was going and when, but I think you will like it.

PS: I did no post photo editing. Also look at this more from the same show

See the happy moron

He doesn't give a da**

I wish I were a moron

My God, perhaps I am

Author Unknown

Well, it's official. Last night I won the Ebay bid for a Sony CyberShot DSC-P10. It took quite some time to figure out what to get and there were several of them on Ebay. I ended up with a new one about $100 off list. I'm hoping it will make a good cam for caching.

Scoobie