Release Notes (Website: Tech migrations) - February 26, 2024

Geocaching HQ is making an ongoing effort to leverage technical advances to support faster development on Geocaching.com. We are currently moving several pages to a more modern tech stack. The following pages will be moved to this framework over the next several months. 

With today’s update, the following pages have been moved:

Pages that will be moved soon:

No major functionality is changing with this update. You may notice some small styling changes to reduce white space and to increase accessibility for players who access the website with screenreaders or a keyboard. 

We plan to post in this thread when we update the other listed pages.

Ari (ari54321) is watching this thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Comments unrelated to the release may be removed. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

This is always good.  B)

My owner dashboard, in the last few entries toward the bottom, shows entries deep into the past: a couple of 2019, then 2012.  A wee glitch.

(But somehow, magically, that 2012 log was one I really enjoyed re-reading.  How did you know?!?)

Edited by Viajero Perdido
Magic
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 1

When it comes to "Search results" and similar.

Please also consider fixing the following bug:

When a Bookmark list holds 999 Geocaches, I can't add one additional from the Search result page.

When on the cachepage it is quite possible to add the 1000th cache.

Hans

Edited by HHL

Thank you GCHQ for fixing this. All good now.

incidentally the 500 Error suggested referring to Geocaching on Twitter for updates. Not everyone uses, has access to X, hence coming here to the forums.

This should be changed to keep such reporting within the Groundspeak system IMO.

But thanks for the fix.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
21 minutes ago, Phronimos said:

incidentally the 500 Error suggested referring to Geocaching on Twitter for updates. Not everyone uses, has access to X, hence coming here to the forums.

This should be changed to keep such reporting within the Groundspeak system IMO.

You don't have to "use" (as in sign-in) twitter to follow the link and view the tweets though.

IMHO it's a good way to distribute real time short updates like that. Geocaching forums might be inaccessible, if Groundspeak have a serious outage anyway.

• Surprised 1
7 hours ago, 2Abendsegler said:

The number of caches has been further reduced from 500 to 200 caches. Thank you.

Thanks.jpg.447e4f5782b84d252205c5b083febe95.jpg

Oh no, that is definitely a step in the wrong direction. We all wish to see more (=all) caches not less : (

I thought 

On 2/26/2024 at 10:11 PM, Frau Potter said:

No major functionality is changing with this update

For me that is major functionality update (or more a downgrade)

• Upvote 6
  • Funny 1
On 3/12/2024 at 7:34 AM, Geocaching HQ said:

With today's release, these pages have moved to the new tech stack:

Has this update removed the ability to view list feedback?

It appears one can now rate a list and provide a feedback comment (through "Rate this List"), but not access any of that feedback (as "x users found this List useful" is no longer hyperlinked).

The actual page of ratings is still live (for instance), although without a link to it, it isn't hugely useful!

Edited by Brain
  • Upvote 3
20 hours ago, 2Abendsegler said:

The number of caches has been further reduced from 500 to 200 caches. Thank you.

Thanks.jpg.447e4f5782b84d252205c5b083febe95.jpg

12 hours ago, capoaira said:

Oh no, that is definitely a step in the wrong direction. We all wish to see more (=all) caches not less : (

I thought 

For me that is major functionality update (or more a downgrade)

Thank you for your reports! We have released a fix for this issue; you can now view 500 list items at a time.

• Helpful 4
21 hours ago, Optimist on the run said:

Option to add multiple caches to a list has disappeared.

Thank you for your report. There are two ways to add multiple caches to a list at once that still working in the new version:

1. When viewing a list, select multiple caches on the list using the checkboxes and select the "Add # to List" button (to add the caches to a different list)

2. When viewing a list, select the "+" button in the top right corner, then "Add bulk GC codes". You can enter bulk GC codes separated by commas to add multiple caches to the list.

Do you mean that one of these two ways is broken on your end, or is there another option that is not available?

Edited by ari54321
On 3/11/2024 at 4:05 PM, Optimist on the run said:

Option to add multiple caches to a list has disappeared.

On 3/12/2024 at 2:30 PM, 2Abendsegler said:

The second way to add multiple caches to a list at once should be meant by @Optimist on the run. There is no "Add bulk GC codes".

noAddbulkGCcodes.JPG.0d1243ca2d74d32b803574d170620054.JPG

Thank you for reporting this issue. We fixed the bug, and the bulk add option is available again!

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3
On 3/12/2024 at 4:12 AM, Brain said:

It appears one can now rate a list and provide a feedback comment (through "Rate this List"), but not access any of that feedback (as "x users found this List useful" is no longer hyperlinked with the little thumbs up next to it).

The actual page of ratings is still live (for instance), although without a link to it, it isn't hugely useful for those of us who might have puzzles 'n' stuff based upon the feature... :ph34r:

Thank you for reporting this issue. We are aware of the bug and are looking into adding the link back.

As you noted, for now players can use the direct link as a workaround (replacing the "BM" code at the end of the URL with the list they want to view feedback for (e.g. for this list with code BM21VBT, players would be pointed here: https://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/ratings.aspx?code=BM21VBT)

• Helpful 1

I'm having issues emptying all entries from lists with over 500 entries (due to not being able to show 1000 at a time). I can select the first 500 and delete them, which then shows the second page, but I cannot select all for the second page unless I refresh the page.

Deleting all entries in a list is useful for repopulating automatically generated lists, e.g. D/T caches required.

• Upvote 1
50 minutes ago, Optimist on the run said:

I'm having issues emptying all entries from lists with over 500 entries (due to not being able to show 1000 at a time). I can select the first 500 and delete them, which then shows the second page, but I cannot select all for the second page unless I refresh the page.

Deleting all entries in a list is useful for repopulating automatically generated lists, e.g. D/T caches required.

I'm having exactly the same problem.

On 3/12/2024 at 10:12 PM, Brain said:

It appears one can now rate a list and provide a feedback comment (through "Rate this List"), but not access any of that feedback (as "x users found this List useful" is no longer hyperlinked).

The actual page of ratings is still live (for instance), although without a link to it, it isn't hugely useful!

Looks like this has been fixed, and with a snazzy updated icon too!

Many thanks, HQ!

On 2/27/2024 at 10:41 AM, HHL said:

Please also consider fixing the following bug:

When a Bookmark list holds 999 Geocaches, I can't add one additional from the Search result page.

This bug has been fixed. Thanks a lot. :)

In lists (bookmark and ignore) the displayed distance value less than 1km/mi is wrong.

For distances greater or equal to 1km/mi it is correct.

Appended are two screenshots that show the issue when comparing the same results in bookmark list and search:

the first three caches are less than 1 km away from the home coordinates (in this case HQ), but show distances in the bookmark list that are too high by a factor of 1000.

bookmark.jpg

search.jpg

• Upvote 2
On 3/24/2024 at 3:55 AM, Die Batzen said:

In lists (bookmark and ignore) the displayed distance value less than 1km/mi is wrong.

For distances greater or equal to 1km/mi it is correct.

Appended are two screenshots that show the issue when comparing the same results in bookmark list and search:

the first three caches are less than 1 km away from the home coordinates (in this case HQ), but show distances in the bookmark list that are too high by a factor of 1000.

Thank you for reporting this issue. We are currently looking into a fix.

• Helpful 1

Update to Release Notes (Website: Tech migrations) - April 2, 2024

With today's release, these pages have moved to the new tech stack:

Search filter updates and fixes included in this release:

• A new "Undo" button allows players to revert filter changes back to their previous state. This button is only visible if the player makes changes to the filters after an initial search. Clicking "Undo" reverts the changes back to the player's previous filter configuration. This is different from the "Reset" button which resets the filters back to the "Factory Defaults".
  • Filter date pickers are now localized.
  • The filter button no longer indicates that filters are applied when they are not.
  • Selecting/deselecting "Found by me" in the "Found status" filter now adds/removes the current user to/from the "Found by" filter.
  • Collapsing any filter with a date picker will no longer display "undefined" in the sub-header.
  • The player settings preference ‘Display search results directly on map’ is now fixed. Go to Settings > Preferences > and select this setting if you would like your search results to be displayed directly on the search map, instead of in a list format. 

Setting to display search results directly on map
  • Helpful 1

Are the recent updates to 'my lists' also related to the tech migrations? I noticed the following change in behaviour when adding or updating a description for one of the caches in my lists:

1) There is no line break anymore even though it is there in the text box, see attached screenshot.

2) When you submit changes to the description, the page is refreshed and hence jumps back to the top

3) Irrespective what sort criteria you selected for your list, after submitting a description update the list is sorted by Geocache name again

MyLists_Description.jpg

*EDIT* I also found an intermittent bug in the Preferences screen. When you select another language and submit the changes, system tells you that the changes have been saved but in more than 50% of the cases the language doesn't change. I had to select english 4 times until changes took effect.

image.thumb.png.97abe5265cfd562b34949856800c8ed0.png

Edited by InQbuS
  • Upvote 1

I don't know if it's related to these tech migrations but the "show search results on map" seems to use the wrong distance

Center point: Lens, France, 100 favo, 30km, not found by me, gives 22 Results:
https://www.geocaching.com/play/results?sort=distance&asc=true&st=Lens%2C+Frankrijk&ot=query&r=30&hf=1&fp=100&nfb=ardila.nl

Screenshot_20240405_105321.thumb.png.1ea3aa0d99ed591796eb7f5ec5efb8ca.png

But when I click show on map I get shown roughly 150km
https://www.geocaching.com/play/map?lat=50.4934&lng=3.0537&zoom=8&asc=true&sort=distance&st=Lens%2C+Frankrijk&ot=query&r=30&hf=1&nfb=ardila.nl&fp=100

Screenshot_20240405_105355.thumb.png.9ff5b7c7b657201dbf044914eaca144b.png

Edited by ardila.nl