The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

I came across this and had to share it, Jeff will probably hate me for it...  Jeff, I can't believe you didn't know how many shots are in a pony! :anibad:

visit link

Congrats!

D!

Wow! Looks like somebody's been doing some stalking of me instead of caching! :o

Yes...I beat Ben.. 5-4 in the final round. Incidentally, my brother (The Cow Spots) also was on Win Ben Stein's Money and tied Ben in the final round. He got more questions correct, but I got more cash! Take that big brother!

Well Duncan, thanks for digging that lovely story. Truly kind of you. I guess I cannot outrun my past.....(sigh). So here's the resume:

I also was a semi-finalist in the 1993 Jeopardy! College Tournament. And an alternate once on Millionaire. Never made it to the hot seat, but I got a free trip to New York out of it and got to pee next to Regis Philbin in the men's bathroom there! What a highlight!

So why all the gameshows? Hey...had to pay for school somehow. And work-study just didn't cut it! :P

And yes Chuy....I have the tapes.

--TT--

Geocacher & Former Game Show Junkie. :):o

It was only a matter of time before someone dug this up.

I have the tapes too. Heheh. But yeah, I _only_ tied Ben. I will say that Ben is an extremely cool dude. He also takes losing EXTREMELY seriously. It really is his money you're playing with. The show has a set budget of what they pay Ben for the year. Anything you win comes out of his pocket.

Interesting! My opinion is that cachers should remove caches from any location that is a security risk. Seems like common sense to me. But I guess common sense isn't so common!

Tailgators,

You're right on that one. If common sense was common, I'd be out of a job. I've dealt with people that see nothing wrong with doing things that most people would find extremely dumb. That's why they have all those TV shows with the videos of people doing dumb stunts, running from the cops, and the like. :lol: Maybe some of them know what they're doing is dumb, but they just want they're 15 minutes of fame.

Dogboy40

Here's a thread from the cacher with both sides.http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=83305
Interesting! My opinion is that cachers should remove caches from any location that is a security risk. Seems like common sense to me. But I guess common sense isn't so common!

We need to take some more facts into consideration before we start talking about common sense.

1. It is within the airport boundary, but the cache is located 1.7 miles from the nearest terminal;

2. It does sit about 700 feet north of a runway, but it's separated by a barbed wire fence and is not under a flight path. Flights come in from the east and take off to the west;

3. The cache was in a restricted area, but to vehicles, not pedestrian traffic. The area was not restricted to vehicles when placed;

4. The cache had 462 visits before being archived! I went through the first 40 logs before finding a negative entry, which did not have to do with terrorist concerns.

5. I didn't make time to read every log, but I read all the logs with 700+ finds and none mentioned the hide was bad. I also did a search of all "bad" word entries and did not find one referring to a bad hide.

Bottom line, the cache needs to be moved due to the police request and the negative publicity it has generated, but it does not appear the hide was a bad one.

On Tuesday, Nov 9th around 4:30p, I'm taking some co-workers up to Santee Overlook using the Mission Gorge trailhead.  If anyone wants to join us, email me.

I visited Pyle Driver last week, but if someone wants to visit it, I won't hesitate to accompany you.

I expect it to be a 45 minute hike going up and maybe 30minutes going down.  The hike is straight up, unlike the zig zagging of Cowles Mtn.  Visiting Pyle Driver will add about 30 minutes and it will be dark by then, which shouldn't be a problem as I visited it on a moonless night.

chuyrobles@cox.net

Moved it to Wednesday afternoon.

While you're heading up to SLO, don't forget to keep a lookout for El Camino Real Bells. My cache now has over 140 guidepost bells found. I'll be updating the bell list so previously found bells will be easier to identify. You're allowed to claim one per county.

Parsa

I checked your list Parsa and only one bell has been found in SLO. Thanks for the tip, I'll keep my eyes peeled! We are going to the Farmer's Market on Thursday night. I'm also trying to talk the other TrailGators into doing a few caches while we are up there. An alumnus friend told me to hike up to the giant "P" east of the campus for a great view! I checked and there is a cache up there!

While you're heading up to SLO, don't forget to keep a lookout for El Camino Real Bells. My cache now has over 140 guidepost bells found. I'll be updating the bell list so previously found bells will be easier to identify. You're allowed to claim one per county.

Parsa

The Rocket Man Family is sitting here LOAO. We drove up to UCSB last weekend for family weekend with our son. On the way up, we saw more of those bells than we could count. I told Mrs. Rocket Man and my daughter about your locationless cache and after that, we kept noticing those darn bells everywhere we looked. They are all over the place up there. We must have seen a hundred of them.

I would have logged your cache, but I am not big on locationless caches (I haven't logged one yet).

RM

Announcing! Team Travel Bug!

teamtb.jpg

On November 17th, TeamVW will cross the country and back in 17 days. We will hit 18 states and two countries (US and Canada). The below states are on the list:

California(Start), Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, (Quickly through Toronto Canada), New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee.

(We will return to California via Arkansas, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona to California)

We are currently in possession of three travel bugs that expect to make this trip. We will be hitting on geocache (at minimum) per state!

If you have a Travel Bug in San Diego that needs to move, let's work together! I will arrive at the previously found Animal Cache on November 16th to pick up any Travel Bugs that need adventure. Please confirm with the travel bug owner that they are willing to accept a "drop/retrieve" series of cache placements on its route. If you want your bug included, drop me an email and let me know the bug is getting dropped in Animal Cache.

Cache On!

NomadVW

NomadVW

Parsa

The Rocket Man Family is sitting here LOAO. We drove up to UCSB last weekend for family weekend with our son. On the way up, we saw more of those bells than we could count. I told Mrs. Rocket Man and my daughter about your locationless cache and after that, we kept noticing those darn bells everywhere we looked. They are all over the place up there. We must have seen a hundred of them.

I would have logged your cache, but I am not big on locationless caches (I haven't logged one yet).

RM

John Kolstad, the owner of the California Bell Company, is working with Caltrans to place hundreds of new bells. 125 bells are going in between L.A. and Santa Barbara in 2 weeks. 68 bells were placed between Gilroy and South San Francisco recently.

John got interested in geocaching because of the locationless page, and he's made a few cache finds.

Parsa

Anybody out there think I should archive Cue Ball by FlagMan (GCJFXB)?  It does appear to be on Government property, although I did not encounter any No Trespassing signs on the route I took to hide it.  I would hate for someone to spend time in the brig trying to explain the importance of tupperware! :)

Not yet! I planning on visiting the cache on Thursday morning, depending on how hung over I am.

I wasn't going to announce this to but since TT made a midnight FTF, what the hay.

PDS Revisited (GCM1D7) is back and running in the Poway area. Its the same container as the original PDS in a little nicer park. If you didn't see it last time before it was muggled, head on out.

Soooo, the question is, how did TT find out about a new cache within 3 hrs of it being approved? Submitted at 6:30, approved at 9:30, FTF logged at 12:30. DANG!

Is he running some sort of evil program on his mega-PC?

Does he just sit there and hit "refresh" every 30 seconds looking for new stuff?

Wait a minute...West Coast Admin has 14 letters in his name, TucsonThompsen has 14 letters as well. Using a simple substition algorithm and Pi calculated to 35 places, its all clear to me now!

:)

Wait a minute...West Coast Admin has 14 letters in his name, TucsonThompsen has 14 letters as well.  Using a simple substition algorithm and Pi calculated to 35 places, its all clear to me now!

:)

dadgum....my cover's blown. :D

Nope...just had a late night in lab and was up writing the pages for some new ones I've placed. Saw the new one and it was only a few miles away. Grabbed it on my way home.

Hey...nobody says anything about FlagMan's FTFs or Chuy's night hunts here? Let's have some equal opportunity roastage, eh? B)

--TT--

Parsa

I've been doing that too - once I saw the locationless cache, it seemed interesting so I started looking out for them. The first one I spotted (outside UCSD) had already been found, but then there was another (entrance to Fiesta Island) which I noticed but didn't have my GPSr with me. It was months before I remembered and went back to mark and log it, but since then I've seen the bloody things everywhere!

...Nope...just had a late night in lab and was up writing the pages for some new ones I've placed.  Saw the new one and it was only a few miles away.  Grabbed it on my way home. 

Hey...nobody says anything about FlagMan's FTFs or Chuy's night hunts here?  Let's have some equal opportunity roastage, eh?  :)

--TT--

I got roasted for my 11 FTF's in Anza.

As TT, I will check GC for late approvals. I serve warrants on ICE fugitive illegal immigrants. Some nights I work as late as 3am; other times I get in at 4am. So, that can put me in an advantageous position to work some FTF's.

Announcing!  Team Travel Bug!

On November 17th, TeamVW will cross the country and back in 17 days.  We will hit 18 states and two countries (US and Canada).  The below states are on the list:

If you have a Travel Bug in San Diego that needs to move, let's work together! 

If you are heading east on Hwy 8, go ahead and take all the TB at Travel Bug Junction I-8 and CA-111 (GCJ0ZM) just east of El Centro. If you are headed back that way, drop some off. It is where we pick up and return TB's after a short stay in San Felipe. Also, it is a good place for cachers to pick up TB's going north, south, east, or west.

You guys are a bunch of knuckleheads going out caching at 3-4AM.

If you haven't tried it, don't knock it. <_<

It's quite a different world hiking a long trail at night; and with a full moon, you won't need a flashlight until its time to look for the container.

The stars in the heavens sparkle like no place on a city street. You might see owls fly overhead. And at twilight, you may see a colony of bats fly overhead.

Of course, in the summer, the bugs can eat you alive, but that's what bug juice (deet) is for.

Anyone interested in doing some night hunting on a Friday or Saturday night, say 10p-1a?

If you haven't tried it, don't knock it. :lol:

It's quite a different world hiking a long trail at night; and with a full moon, you won't need a flashlight until its time to look for the container.

The stars in the heavens sparkle like no place on a city street. You might see owls fly overhead. And at twilight, you may see a colony of bats fly overhead.

Of course, in the summer, the bugs can eat you alive, but that's what bug juice (deet) is for.

Anyone interested in doing some night hunting on a Friday or Saturday night, say 10p-1a?

Hey Now! I'm game for the Friday 10 to 1AM shift. Do we get to bust some perps? <_< BTW, what does ICE stand for? Sounds cold.

D!

If you haven't tried it, don't knock it. <_<

I did try it once. I went out with Night Hunter in Blair Valley one night (after several beers). It was a trip and I almost did trip a few times! I had no idea what direction was what. To me it was a little disorienting but Night Hunter walked around like it was daytime. He must eat more carrots than I do! Anyhow, one of the caches that we did that night was only 500 feet away from one another that we just found so we decided to walk over to it through the pitch darkness (no full moon). When we got there we laughed because that cache was 15 feet off the dirt road. I guess night time caching makes you walk more because you have CSS (can't see squat). During the daytime, Rocket Man and I will drive around for 30 minutes to get out of walking an extra 500 feet! :lol:

Edited by TrailGators

If you haven't tried it, don't knock it. :lol:

Hey Now! I'm game for the Friday 10 to 1AM shift. Do we get to bust some perps? <_< BTW, what does ICE stand for? Sounds cold.

D!

I'll be up for some night hunts. Pick a place, and I'll go.

--TT--

Hey Now!  I'm game for the Friday 10 to 1AM shift.  Do we get to bust some perps? <_<  BTW, what does ICE stand for?  Sounds cold.

D!

Might encounter perps out east of Alpine; so, best to avoid this area at night. :lol:

I'll send those interested an email about setting something up next Friday.

ICE = Immigration and Customs Enforcement, an investigative DHS (Dept of Homeland Security) bureau that includes Air Marshalls, Federal Police, and non-uniformed officers formely from INS and Customs. (I came from Detention and Removal, previously under INS.)

ICE's sister bureau is CBP, Customs and Border Protection, the uniformed officers from Customs, Border Patrol, Inspections, and Dept of Agriculture.

Edited by Chuy

Re: The Bells of El Camino Real

If you want to hit the motherlode of bells, it's right here in San Diego County. Head over to Vacation Island to Paradise Point Resort. I've decided to only count one bell there, but there are a couple dozen in the resort I think. Pictures of all the bells there would be cool though.

I just posted the updated bell list.

Bell List Nov 9, 2004

I also posted a list of missions where no bells seem to have been found:

Mission San Juan Bautista (Some bells found a few blocks away, but not at the mission itself).

Mission Santa Barbara, Virgin y Martir, Santa Barbara

Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa, San Luis Obispo

Mission San Carlos Borromeo del Rio Carmelo, Carmel-By-The-Sea

Mission San Antonio de Padua, Jolon

Notice that no bell seems to have been logged at Mission San Luis Obispo.

Parsa

Edited by Parsa
Re: The Bells of El Camino Real

If you want to hit the motherlode of bells, it's right here in San Diego County. Head over to Vacation Island to Paradise Point Resort. I've decided to only count one bell there, but there are a couple dozen in the resort I think. Pictures of all the bells there would be cool though.

How did all the bells get into Paradise Point resort? I can't imagine them being in their original positions, since there's only one way the road can go through the island, which probably wasn't even there before False Bay became Mission Bay - and IIRC the Crown Point Bridge wasn't built until the 30s, so it wouldn't have been much use as a road.

So, do the bells have their original locations marked on them or something? I still haven't got Fattboy's cache on Vacation Island, which is now my closest unfound since moving to the bayside, so maybe I'll investigate over the weekend.

The El Camino Real bells seem to be a U.S. thing, but is there an equivalent type of monument in Baja? I keep hearing on the radio that the first California mission was built in Loreto, B.C. Can I get finds for this virtual down south?

From the Parsa's Locationless Cache Description:

"The goal is to find the site of every bell guidepost marking the path of El Camino Real (the Royal Road or King's Highway) in California and Baja California."

We were out night hunting just tonight! Actually, we were out caching in PQ canyon and it got dark on us. We were on the wrong side of the stream & couldn't find our way back. We finally just bushwhacked across and got wet. Of course, we both had to fall in at the same place. :unsure: It looks like the rainwater got pretty far outside the present creek borders. A lot of grass laying down; a lot of leaves and other stuff pushed together in clumps. There are still a lot of puddles and mud throughout. Sycamore Crossing is a lake. A lot of water going through the waterfall.

Speaking of the Preserve. Anyone going to be doing some caching, it might be a nice idea to take extra containers, log books, & ziplock bags. The water got into several of the caches. We had only one container with us, so that is all we could do. Some towels to dry off the items would be a good idea, too, along with a plastic bag to take the old container & wet stuff that you couldn't dry off. :unsure:

The El Camino Real bells seem to be a U.S. thing, but is there an equivalent type of monument in Baja? I keep hearing on the radio that the first California mission was built in Loreto, B.C. Can I get finds for this virtual down south?

Yes, there are a few bells in Baja including one at Loreto at the beginning of El Camino Real. Many of the more recent bells (called "International Bells") are even inscribed Loreto Oct 25 1697 - Solano July 4 1823.

There's one right at the border crossing though. :P

Edited by Parsa

Hey everyone! Going out on my first cache finding trip tomorrow, and my brother is really interested also. He'll be going along with me. My Dad's also going to be doing this (but not tomorrow), so it's going to be a lot of fun.

I live in the Santee area, and I'm going to be bold and try the Small Change cache in the trolley square. Being brand new, I scoured over the postings, and I think I've got it nailed, where it is. After that, maybe a Mast Park one, or over in the Mission Trails area by the old mission dam.

Hey...is it just me, or do the rest of you all of a sudden start seeing places to hide caches in, everywhere you go? LOL. I'm also coming up with some great ideas for hiding them in seemingly obvious places, with some help from Home Depot items.

Going to go back and read more of this thread. I'd like to see if there's a gathering or picnic planned near the Santee area soon.

Hey everyone! Going out on my first cache finding trip tomorrow.

May I suggest the following caches to cut your teeth on as a newbie, so to speak:

Pants on Fire (GCK1GE)

Stay on Target (GCJTFE)

Water Water Everywhere (GCM1E6)

Spam Haiku (GCJE1E)

Pay Homage to the Master (GCHQJC)

and Pushing Tin SAN (GCHTR0)

Try these just for starters I mean.... :blink: Welcome to geocaching and please feel free to come on over to the Dark Side of caching. It's not that bad over here, really. I could use an apprentice. :blink:

--TT--

May I suggest the following caches to cut your teeth on as a newbie, so to speak:

Pants on Fire (GCK1GE)

Stay on Target (GCJTFE)

Spam Haiku (GCJE1E)

Try these just for starters I mean.... :blink: Welcome to geocaching and please feel free to come on over to the Dark Side of caching. It's not that bad over here, really. I could use an apprentice. :huh:

--TT--

Thanks, Jeff! Hey...will you teach me how to do that cool "lightning from your fingertips" trick?!

Oh...and... it looks like I picked a bad week to quit sniffing glue... :blink:

Edited by PC Painter
Thanks, Jeff! Hey...will you teach me how to do that cool "lightning from your fingertips" trick?!

Oh...and... it looks like I picked a bad week to quit sniffing glue... :blink:

Hey PC,

Remember what that little green guy said:

"Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will..."

BTW, have you been talking to McCroskey?

D!

Oh...and... it looks like I picked a bad week to quit sniffing glue...  :blink:

Hey PC,

Remember what that little green guy said:

"Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will..."

BTW, have you been talking to McCroskey?

D!

Yeah but...but... it's ....it's LIGHTNING! I'm powerless to resist.

No....not McCrosky.... Shirley.

Pants on Fire (GCK1GE)

Stay on Target (GCJTFE)

Spam Haiku (GCJE1E)

Try these just for starters I mean.... :blink: Welcome to geocaching and please feel free to come on over to the Dark Side of caching. It's not that bad over here, really. I could use an apprentice. :huh:

--TT--

TT if you are Darth Vader then does that mean that Dan-oh is Luke Skywalker and Parsa is Hans Solo? Hmmm, now I am wondering who is Chewbacca? I know! Fattdog is Chewbacca!!! :blink:

Edited by TrailGators