The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

It seems to work for me - if I go to a map from a search results page, then uncheck the You Found/Own* box on the right and then click the map (with Pan selected), the found icons disappear.

Whoops, I'd better get out my bribe stash too, as I just noticed that the checkmarks go away but the cache icons remain! Doh! :blink:

However, I'm to the point where I want to bribe someone at geocaching.com to come up with a way to totally turn off found caches on the maps page. You can turn off the check symbol, but the caches are still there cluttering up the map.

It seems to work for me - if I go to a map from a search results page, then uncheck the You Found/Own* box on the right and then click the map (with Pan selected), the found icons disappear.

The found icon disappears, but the cache it represents does not. They're all still there cluttering up the map. I can do a pocket query and load all the unfound waypoints to my computer, gps, and PDA. I can then plot them in a mapping program, but that's a pain if all I want to do is see a cluster of unfound caches in an area.

I guess we posted those logs simultaneously. :(

Parsa

Edited by Parsa
Have any of you guys ever heard of this Boulter's Geocaching Express Logger? It sounds pretty cool. You create a text file when you are caching with all cache waypoints you found and then paste them from the text file into the express logger when you get back. It eliminates searching for every cache and logging them one by one.

Ooh, looks like it could be pretty useful. I just tried using my Cachemate (default) database, but was given the option to input logs for ALL the found caches in my database. It would be more useful if it could compare what the CM database says I've found, and what the GC.com database says I've found, and then lets me fill out logs for the ones I haven't yet done on the website. I tried doing it from the Palm desktop of Cachemate-exported memo files, but that didn't seem to work properly.

Ooh, looks like it could be pretty useful. I just tried using my Cachemate (default) database, but was given the option to input logs for ALL the found caches in my database. It would be more useful if it could compare what the CM database says I've found, and what the GC.com database says I've found, and then lets me fill out logs for the ones I haven't yet done on the website. I tried doing it from the Palm desktop of Cachemate-exported memo files, but that didn't seem to work properly.

When you check the found box in Cachemate it puts all the logs that you just found and haven't logged into a "found" folder. I'm assuming that you can output that folder as a text file and then cut and paste the contents of that file into this web app. Anyhow, let's experiment and maybe we can come up with a slick process!

I am going to try it out next time I go out caching. I know that when I go out and find 15-20 caches it takes me at least 1-2 hours to log them all in. If I could cut that time in half I'd be one happy cacher! :(

Ooh, looks like it could be pretty useful. I just tried using my Cachemate (default) database, but was given the option to input logs for ALL the found caches in my database. It would be more useful if it could compare what the CM database says I've found, and what the GC.com  database says I've found, and then lets me fill out logs for the ones I haven't yet done on the website. I tried doing it from the Palm desktop of Cachemate-exported memo files, but that didn't seem to work properly.

When you check the found box in Cachemate it puts all the logs that you just found and haven't logged into a "found" folder. I'm assuming that you can output that folder as a text file and then cut and paste the contents of that file into this web app. Anyhow, let's experiment and maybe we can come up with a slick process!

I am going to try it out next time I go out caching. I know that when I go out and find 15-20 caches it takes me at least 1-2 hours to log them all in. If I could cut that time in half I'd be one happy cacher! :(

Sweet!! I am glad it wasn't just me taking that long to log in my cache finds. I am going to look at that web app too, it seems like a great idea to speed things up. You know what that means?? More time Caching, less time inputing!!! :)

Edited by drew5.10

Yeah, it would be great to get this working quickly and efficiently! I've only been using CacheMate (and GSAK) for a few weeks and a few finds, so I'm not quite sure what I'm doing with it yet. Since all my found caches (ever) are in my GSAK database, and that was exported to CM, my found category has lots of caches in it, not just the few I might not have logged on gc.com yet. So when I opened the palm backup file on that page, I got a space to fill in every single cache log, which can't be right. Might be something to do with my pocket query setup, not sure.

By default, it copies what you put in the cachemate "log" section of the cache page in the box, so you can copy and paste it in. I suppose if you want to enter the same text for each log it would be very useful - as it is, it helps to get all the logging pages without all the hassle of going to the "hide and seek a cache" page over and over again. I'd still like it to know which caches in my "Found" category have already been logged by me on the website though. Maybe there's a way to do that, but I couldn't do it.

Yeah, it would be great to get this working quickly and efficiently! I've only been using CacheMate (and GSAK) for a few weeks and a few finds, so I'm not quite sure what I'm doing with it yet. Since all my found caches (ever) are in my GSAK database, and that was exported to CM, my found category has lots of caches in it, not just the few I might not have logged on gc.com yet. So when I opened the palm backup file on that page, I got a space to fill in every single cache log, which can't be right. Might be something to do with my pocket query setup, not sure.

Next time you do a Pocket Query make sure you check "I haven't found" and "Is Active" and "I don't own". This will get you a clean list of unfounds that are findable. Then load that PQ into Cachemate from GSAK (you have to enable the option to overwrite your previous PQ dump into GSAK otherwise it will keep your past finds). Then next time you cache you'll have a clean find list in Cachemate that you can upload. Boy, that was a mouthful! B)

Sigh...had to log my first DNF today, while trying to make a FTF. I saw a listing for a new cache go up in Escondido, no more than 5 minutes after it went up (Christmas Ornament Exchange). I quickly figured out the puzzle, and yelled at my brother that we had to get moving, since we live in Santee. We drove all the way up there, and it seemed like a somewhat logical spot....and...NOTHING. We searched for a good 1 1/2 hours, in a very large radius...about 60ft. Even met the Senior Sleuths team who also confirmed the same coordinates we had. We found NOTHING. We decide to hit a cache in Santee on our way back, to help our bruised egos. When we got home, we found that the cache owner had made a mistake in their clues, and we were completely off on our coordinates.

Ugh....I want that half of my day off back. Heh...I promise not to whine this bad on future DNF's, but this one really sucked, cause we did everything right, drove a decent distance, and searched forever. It probably wouldn't have bothered me so much, if we weren't fairly certain that we would have been FTF.

By default, it copies what you put in the cachemate "log" section of the cache page in the box, so you can copy and paste it in. I suppose if you want to enter the same text for each log it would be very useful - as it is, it helps to get all the logging pages without all the hassle of going to the "hide and seek a cache" page over and over again.

Cachemate doesn't really have a log section. It has 3 areas that you can enter info underneath a "Notes" header: Took, Left and TB. How do those fields map to the main geocaching log when you run this program?

Edited by TrailGators
Sigh...had to log my first DNF today, while trying to make a FTF. I saw a listing for a new cache go up in Escondido, no more than 5 minutes after it went up (Christmas Ornament Exchange). I quickly figured out the puzzle, and yelled at my brother that we had to get moving, since we live in Santee. We drove all the way up there, and it seemed like a somewhat logical spot....and...NOTHING. We searched for a good 1 1/2 hours, in a very large radius...about 60ft. Even met the Senior Sleuths team who also confirmed the same coordinates we had. We found NOTHING. We decide to hit a cache in Santee on our way back, to help our bruised egos. When we got home, we found that the cache owner had made a mistake in their clues, and we were completely off on our coordinates.

Ugh....I want that half of my day off back. Heh...I promise not to whine this bad on future DNF's, but this one really sucked, cause we did everything right, drove a decent distance, and searched forever. It probably wouldn't have bothered me so much, if we weren't fairly certain that we would have been FTF.

Don't feel too bad, that has happened to all of us. The big downside of being the first person there is that you don't get to read past logs for hints! B)

Don't feel too bad, that has happened to all of us. The big downside of being the first person there is that you don't get to read past logs for hints! B)

Well, I'll certainly think twice about driving that far for a puzzle FTF again...that's for sure! Of course...I'm sure that, on that second thought, I'll still go...LOL.

B)

GCM5ZE

Hope you don't get the feeling that came with my first hide. All planned out, and DOINK B) Giggling one second, flying out the door in a panic the next.

Please don't do what I did! Or you'll read about it on other logsheets. B)

B)B)B)

• Rule #1 Check your coords.
  • Rule #2 Check your coords
  • Rule #3 Check your coords
  • Rule #4 Average your coords
  • Rule #5 Pray your not that new B)

Looking foward to joining the FTF frenzy!! :lol:

Edited by cropcircl
Next time you do a Pocket Query make sure you check "I haven't found" and "Is Active" and "I don't own". This will get you a clean list of unfounds that are findable. Then load that PQ into Cachemate from GSAK (you have to enable the option to overwrite your previous PQ dump into GSAK otherwise it will keep your past finds). Then next time you cache you'll have a clean find list in Cachemate that you can upload. Boy, that was a mouthful! B)

I have three or four PQs for caches I haven't found, I don't own, and are active, starting from different areas (near home, near work, downtown, north county etc). And when I export from GSAK into CM, I do it with saved searches for traditional caches, multis, mystery, virtual etc, with changed waypoint names so I can tell what's nearby and unfound by me on my GPSr (eg TR replaces GC in the waypoint name for a traditional cache, regular size). I also have my found caches (all the Californian ones, at least) in my GSAK database, which I then put into CacheMate, in the "Found" category.... Aha! Just had a eureka moment! When you input the cachemate database file into the express logger page, it looks in the "found" category and makes those caches available for speed-logging.....so I've just moved all my previous finds (already logged) in cachemate to a new category (logged finds), which emptied the Found category. Then whenever you find a new cache and tick the "found" box, it gets put into the Found category, and next time you upload your database into the Express Logger it should only have the newly found caches available. Once you've logged them, just move the records to the Logged Finds category and you're ready for the next time!

B)

GCM5ZE

Hope you don't get the feeling that came with my first hide.  All planned out, and DOINK B)  Giggling one second, flying out the door in a panic the next.

Please don't do what I did!  Or you'll read about it on other logsheets. B)

B)  B)  B)

•  
  • Rule #1 Check your coords.

• Rule #2 Check your coords

• Rule #3 Check your coords

• Rule #4 Average your coords

• Rule #5 Pray your not that new  B)

Looking foward to joining the FTF frenzy!!  :lol:

Hey, you get all kinds of stack on your first hide. The fact that you learned something is a bonus.

However, there is NO forgiveness for biffed links! B)

GCM5ZE

Then whenever you find a new cache and tick the "found" box, it gets put into the Found category, and next time you upload your database into the Express Logger it should only have the newly found caches available. Once you've logged them, just move the records to the Logged Finds category and you're ready for the next time!

Sounds like a good way to do it if you want to keep your logged finds in Cachemate. I delete my finds from Cachemate right after I log them.

I'm still not clear how this thing works. It sounds like it opens each found cache page one by one. Is that how it works?

Aha! Just had a eureka moment! When you input the cachemate database file into the express logger page, it looks in the "found" category and makes those caches available for speed-logging.....so I've just moved all my previous finds (already logged) in cachemate to a new category (logged finds), which emptied the Found category. Then whenever you find a new cache and tick the "found" box, it gets put into the Found category, and next time you upload your database into the Express Logger it should only have the newly found caches available. Once you've logged them, just move the records to the Logged Finds category and you're ready for the next time!

That all sounds good in theory, but I just tested it and it doesn't work. It still gives me the option to log all the finds I've already logged, even though they're not in the "Found" category. Back to the drawing board.... B)

I'm still not clear how this thing works. It sounds like it opens each found cache page one by one. Is that how it works?

Not exactly - have you tried it? Once you upload your database file, the page becomes a long list of caches (with spaces to enter log text) on one side, with the remaining two frames filling with the cache page and/or the log-your-find page from gc.com. If there was information in the cachemate log fields, it comes through in the Express Logger log bit of the list, just as you entered it in cachemate, like this:

09:20am - Took: cheese

Left: apple

TB: monkey TB

So you can go down the list, click on the "log" link, which brings up the gc.com log page in one corner, then copy&paste your prefilled log into the box, or just fill it in from scratch. Unfortunately, if you've changed the waypoint names from the original GCXXXX format, the express logger page won't link to the right pages on gc.com, so it won't work. I'm emailing the guy who made the page, to suggest some alterations...if you've seen a thread about it in the forums here, could you post the link?

Aha! Just had a eureka moment! When you input the cachemate database file into the express logger page, it looks in the "found" category and makes those caches available for speed-logging.....so I've just moved all my previous finds (already logged) in cachemate to a new category (logged finds), which emptied the Found category. Then whenever you find a new cache and tick the "found" box, it gets put into the Found category, and next time you upload your database into the Express Logger it should only have the newly found caches available. Once you've logged them, just move the records to the Logged Finds category and you're ready for the next time!

That all sounds good in theory, but I just tested it and it doesn't work. It still gives me the option to log all the finds I've already logged, even though they're not in the "Found" category. Back to the drawing board.... :lol:

You guys are sure going through a lot of hair pulling to save a few seconds. How long does it take to type FTF anyway?!? B)

The "Blonds" have 4WD and want to go to the new Cougar Canyon cache.  Let us know when!  B)

I have Friday free, can fit one or two in my Jeep. I have a stock Jeep Wrangler, don't know if it will be enough...

Here is what you are up against:

0414ced3-fc81-4e33-bd8e-830d75a466ba.jpg

It is not as bad as it looks - Really. I see people do it in stock vehicles all the time, and in a Jeep, it should be a snap (and I don't mean snap, like Jeep parts breaking). Make sure you check out Thank God I Made It on the way in. There are several others in the area as well.

RM

I just bought a new jeep and I really want to go test it out. It would be nice to get this cache too. Are there any takers for Saturday?

dhsundance

Don't worry, guys. You'll get plenty more chances. My favorite story of being aced out of a FTF by a few minutes is chronicled here:

Shutterbug Cache Log

Not exactly - have you tried it?

...if you've seen a thread about it in the forums here, could you post the link?

I was waiting until I had some new finds to give it a whirl. I have not found a Forum discussing it. Maybe I'll start a topic once I try it out and have some better questions. Actually, you have been very helpful already! I don't change the WP names so I'll avoid that pitfall. I can't wait to try it!

Ooh, looks like it could be pretty useful. I just tried using my Cachemate (default) database, but was given the option to input logs for ALL the found caches in my database. It would be more useful if it could compare what the CM database says I've found, and what the GC.com  database says I've found, and then lets me fill out logs for the ones I haven't yet done on the website. I tried doing it from the Palm desktop of Cachemate-exported memo files, but that didn't seem to work properly.

Hello San Diego!

I believe I've received email from TrailGators and Dr Boggis about my logger tool and I seem to have tracked them back to here. I responded to them both and updated the help with solutions to their issues.

If there's other things I can do to this tool to make it more useful, please let me know.

Don't worry, guys. You'll get plenty more chances. My favorite story of being aced out of a FTF by a few minutes is chronicled here:

Shutterbug Cache Log

Woohoo! Hey Flagman you weren't kidding when you said there'd be more chances...

Two new caches went up tonight, and I got my first AND second FTF's in ONE night! Less than 2 hours apart, actually! Is that some kind of record, or something?! I tell you, I feel a LOT better tonight, than I did earlier today...heh! I don't care if both of them were less than 2.5 miles from my house....it still counts! B)

Anyway, that was great...and I got to meet Nighthunter, too. Nice guy...had some popcorn and talked for a bit, before realizing there was another cache to be found!

Hello San Diego!

I believe I've received email from TrailGators and Dr Boggis about my logger tool and I  seem to have tracked them back to here.  I responded to them both and updated the help with solutions to their issues.

If there's other things I can do to this tool to make it more useful, please let me know.

Thanks Boulter! I can't wait to log my next finds! I can't believe I said that! Logging being fun?! Maybe it is now! B)

By the way, I noticed that Boulter is #55 on the all time find list with over 1900 finds and he started geocaching 4 days after I started. :lol:

Edited by TrailGators
I wrote this tool because logging was such a chore. I guess I'm pretty lazy because it still takes me days to catch up with logging my finds.

Maybe you could come up with a version that randomly picks/enters one of five logs entries like:

1) Had fun doing this one! SNTNLN.

2) Nice area. I really enjoyed finding this one. SLTNLN.

3) Great views from the cache location! SNTNLN.

4) Thanks for the cache! SLTNLN.

Last but not least.... the Fkrexcal classic:

5) I can't remember which cache this was but I know I had fun finding it! SLTNLN. B)

Now that would make logging really fast!! B):lol:B)B)

Edited by TrailGators

I wrote this tool because logging was such a chore. I guess I'm pretty lazy because it still takes me days to catch up with logging my finds.

Well, I made the suggested changes to my CacheMate databases (made a couple of new ones for Found/not logged, and Found/Logged), and have just used the page to log a couple of finds I made today. Excellent stuff, I'll be using it from now on!

Thanks Boulter :P

Pheeewwy. Back in San Diego after hitting 17 states and a foreign country in a 17 day cross country trek to visit family and friends. The only two states we didn't hit a cache in were Kansas (which we only drove into cause it was 1 mile away from the Missouri/Oklahoma border and it seemed senseless not to take the detour) and New York - for which I had to log a DNF due to necessity to pee.

Going to drop all the TB's I have in inventory into circulation this week in San Diego after accumulating over 6000 miles on most of them (save for my resident traitor TB and the pick up TBs I got in Illinois and Canada). For all the logs check out the caches listed below. I placed them in reverse order here, but that's just cause the way they sorted on the cache pages.

Look forward to being back on the hunt this week in San Diego weather.

NomadVW

edited to fix all of the stupid https leftover in the links. Sorry folks!

12/3/2004 THE DIVIDE

12/2/2004 Millenium Cache

11/30/2004 Virginia I-81 Stop, Rest & Cache

11/30/2004 Rest 81

11/30/2004 Garden of Devotion

11/30/2004 Oreo 2

11/29/2004 Roadside Cache

11/27/2004 Travel Bug Inn

11/23/2004 Crystal's cache

11/21/2004 Picnic Near Old Pumpkin Patch

11/21/2004 Arbol de Guano Norte

11/21/2004 The Mighty Miss

11/20/2004 Oklahoma Mixing Pot

11/19/2004 MEET YA HALFWAY

11/19/2004 Standin on the corner....

Edited by NomadVW

Question on how to handle logs that include TB #'s - we've emailed the cachers but in the meantime the # is exposed - how long before we should just delete the log or what does "permanently encrypt" do? Hopefully the cacher will just edit the log soon. It happens to be our cache and our TB so it's our risk to take if the number just hangs out there for a while.

P.S. Rocket Man - you've got some in one of your caches too: I SPY I-5

P.P.S. Please don't any of you log zillions of miles on our TB! :P

Question on how to handle logs that include TB #'s - we've emailed the cachers but in the meantime the # is exposed - how long before we should just delete the log or what does "permanently encrypt" do?  Hopefully the cacher will just edit the log soon.  It happens to be our cache and our TB so it's our risk to take if the number just hangs out there for a while. 

P.S. Rocket Man - you've got some in one of your caches too: I SPY I-5

P.P.S. Please don't any of you log zillions of miles on our TB!  :P

Email SoCalAdmin to edit the log.

Edited by TrailGators

hehe, thats why i dont go out of my way to be FTF!!! let the others out there bust there buts and discover the wrong coordinates or mistakes in clues/puzzles etc and then after they are corrected find it.

... how long before we should just delete the log ...

I just give them one day to change their log before I delete it. I figure most everyone checks their email once a day. They can always re log it the correct way later on. Typically I say something like:

"Please change your log as soon as possible. If you can't get around to it, I can delete it but having all the info there will better show whats happening with the cache. Thanks for understanding."

Edit to add:

While the admins CAN change a log, they may not be able to get to a spoiler log as quick as you like. Gotta remember they're volunteers and have a life as well, spare time and all that stuff.

Edited by Dan-oh

I just give them one day to change their log before I delete it. I figure most everyone checks their email once a day. They can always re log it the correct way later on. Typically I say something like:

"Please change your log as soon as possible. If you can't get around to it, I can delete it but having all the info there will better show whats happening with the cache. Thanks for understanding."

Edit to add:

While the admins CAN change a log, they may not be able to get to a spoiler log as quick as you like. Gotta remember they're volunteers and have a life as well, spare time and all that stuff.

Good point. Groundspeak should allow the cache owners to delete unwanted text from any logs on their own caches.

Edit to add:

Good point. Groundspeak should allow the cache owners to delete unwanted text from any logs on their own caches.

I don't agree with this one. I don't want someone to be able to change my words so that it looks like I wrote something that I didn't. The ability to delete someones log is good but changing the log is bad! I don't think that the admins can even do that. RM

I don't agree with this one. I don't want someone to be able to change my words so that it looks like I wrote something that I didn't. The ability to delete someones log is good but changing the log is bad! I don't think that the admins can even do that. RM

I deleted the log - I did what I could to avoid it - but I sent the logger an email with their log in it corrected to show the TB ID instead of the number so they can just paste it into a new log.

I said "delete text". I agree that adding text would be a bad idea. In this case both you Ahimsa could delete the TB numbers from your cache logs. I assumed that the admins could easily edit out stuff like that out of any log but maybe their powers are limited.

I don't agree with this one.  I don't want someone to be able to change my words so that it looks like I wrote something that I didn't.  The ability to delete someones log is good but changing the log is bad!  I don't think that the admins can even do that.  RM

I said "delete text". I agree that adding text would be a bad idea. In this case both you Ahimsa could delete the TB numbers from your cache logs. I assumed that the admins could easily edit out stuff like that out of any log but maybe their powers are limited.

I don't even like that. Deleting text can change the whole context of the message. RM

BTW: I have someplace to go, so I need to load the coordinates and get going.

So do I need to shell out $10 for a movie or can I find any local treasure without it?

I just got back from the rarely celebrated Third To Find on Local Treasure (GCM5XJ). What a blast!

I worked on it Thursday and Friday but couldn't get back to it till today. I swear I checked the page hourly for other finders but TT and Duscwe! are the only others. There are several locations that I didn't think I was authorized to be (but its not the case) so I was too jumpy for my own good. The rain wasn't going to stop me today though! The cache is well worth your time. BTW, a lap top with WiFi will help. If not, be ready for several trips like it took for me.

I haven't seen the movie yet but being as I've read the book, er, done the cache, I have to go and see if they're accurate.

natltreasure.jpg

I just got back from the rarely celebrated Third To Find on Local Treasure (GCM5XJ).  What a blast!

Hey Dan-oh, I am definitely looking forward to doing that one once it quits raining! I thought it "never rains in Southern California!"

I highly recommend this one: Zis Is KAOS, Ve Don’t Bush-vaak Here! It was also a blast! I'm sure that your girls would get a giggle from a couple of stops along the way too! ;)

I just got back from the rarely celebrated Third To Find on Local Treasure (GCM5XJ). What a blast!

Thanks, Dan-oh! I appreciate the appreciation! All I could think about while watching the movie and for several days afterwards was how to make a cache out of that theme. The movie is like the ultimate multi-cache and is a must-see for all geocachers, I think. Sorry you had to make multiple trips to complete the whole thing. Duscwe! and TT both had a leg up on you on this one, having already completed one big step. And TT used the "phone-a-friend" lifeline to avoid his research assignment. Duscwe! lives within single digit miles of all the waypoints. So that explains their quick completion of the whole thing.

Hope the rest of you out there will give it a go! ;)

If you folks want to read a good book that has a sort of "advanced geocaching" theme, I recommend the book "Island of the Same Name" by Joseph Sheppherd.

It is not easy to classify. It's sort of science fiction, historical fiction, and suspense all in one. None of the action takes place in the present. The book is divided into four parts: The Distant Past, The Near Past, The Near Future, and the Distant Future. The two main characters are an archaeologist and his anthropologist daughter.

The archeologist has an interesting hobby. He hides giant time capsules in which he placed his anthropological notes, as well as important cultural artifacts from each area where he works around the world. In each subsequent capsule, he gives information for finding the previous ones.

If you want to read something imaginative and unable to be pigeon-holed, this is it. You can find copies for sale by Googleing: "Island of the Same Name" Sheppherd

I have a copy if anyone lives up my way and want to borrow it.

***Trade Paperback. Good. 9"x6". 564+ pages; b/w illustrations. An unusual book. Library of Congress lists it dually under science fiction and poetry. The author, in his foreword, says it is inaccurate to describe it as science fiction, but says some of it is perhaps social fiction. Divided into four parts: The Distant Past, The Near Past, The Near Future, The Distant Future. According to the foreword, the main storyline is that an archeologist visits an African island and "uncovers the remnants of an intriguing culture, and meets the sole survivor of a strange religion.." Years later, the archeologist's daughter, an anthropologist, visits the same island but "discovers vastly different things." Like "the birth of a new tribal movement which has gathered to 'choose the future' and decide the direction which the world will follow.." ***

shepphe1.jpg

Parsa

Edited by Parsa