The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

It's not that hard! I should lower the rating!

Edit: OK, now it's a 2.5! I've made it easier since TT and Flagman gave me some feedback on one particularly tough riddle. That part tripped up almost everybody. Anyhow, it was a 3.5 back when they did it!

Heh...cool. it's a bit of a drive...but the interesting ones are worth it. :P

Edited by PC Painter
Hey, you have plenty of great caches down there to do! Why drive far away if you don't have to? I just made down to Santee for the first time a few weks ago. It is a very nice area! We found some caches over in Mast Park and some other areas. But I probably would have not gone down there had it not been for geocaching!

Same here....and I like that it will take me places I never would have thought of. Like this trip to the tar pits...was there once, many moons ago, but I hardly remember it. I'm looking forward to taking the pics of the little dinosaur, by the pits.

at #98 cache finds now. getting really close to my #100

i also have a few micros to place.. i need to get in on the evil action i think.

Soooo...

How about bd_chris about to break 100? Go Chris, go!

(anything to steer away from the previous)

Thanks Dan-oh, no one else paid me any attention. :P

oh, and i like Trailgators pic MUCH better than the previous ones. makes me never want to to go washington!

Edited by KF6JAX

3. This afternoon I visited Nighthunter's Mr. O'Neal's French Windmill cache near Otay Mtn. Very nice views and I parked within 350 feet of the cache. Best news is that the road to Otay Mtn is now open; I called the Brownfield Border Patrol station to confirm. However, a sign at the entrance behind Kuebler's Ranch indicates the trail is washed out in some places. It gives no details about the severity; the Border Patrol agent I spoke to also did not know, nor did he know if you can drive through to the 94.

Nighthunter, can you look into this?

Sorry for the delayed response. I have been off the Thread for awhile. Anyway, I did check into it, and the Otay Truck Trail is open and drivable all the way across from Alta Road (Otay Mesa) to Marron Valley Road (Dulzura) and then out to 94. Of course everybody I talked to did it in a 4X4, so I am not sure if it is passenger car passable the way it was before the fire/rains. The Border Patrol do a pretty good job maintaining that road, it is prolly fine.

Also, thanks everybody for the nice words about my caches (Small Change, Proctor Valley Monster Project, and Mr. Oneil's French Windmill)

Cache and Be Merry

Bit of an odd question here, but does anyone know how to get in touch with the man, the myth, the SD legend... mark71mark?  Is he still around SD at all?

--TT--

I just sent his e-mail address to you. RM

OOPS - I screwed up and sent Mark71Mark's e-mail address to Dan-Oh instead of TT. Sending it to TT now. RM

Bit of an odd question here, but does anyone know how to get in touch with the man, the myth, the SD legend... mark71mark?  Is he still around SD at all?

--TT--

I just sent his e-mail address to you. RM

OOPS - I screwed up and sent Mark71Mark's e-mail address to Dan-Oh instead of TT. Sending it to TT now. RM

You're fired. <_<

ahhhh, squaky modem sounds. i do remembver those...

i remember when they went from the quick staticy/whitenoise sound to pachinko machine sounding negotiations with the "high speed" modems. ie 9600, 14.4, 16.8, 33.6, 56k..

USR was always out there with there expensive modems which could only connect to each other at "high speeds"

i loved my SupraFAX 14.4 modem had a lcd display that displayed all kinds of cool info.

remember when computoredge had huge multipage listings of all the bbs' in san diego?

i ran Niro's Domaine...

sigh.., anyways...

If you find some time on your hands Friday night, we have a small caching group doing some night hunting in the outlining areas around the Miramar Reservoir.

We will meet at 10P'ish at Vons next to Shandon's Oak Glen Garden, GCK3J0, and work our way counter-clockwise around the reservoir. If you have an FRS radio, bring it for car to car communications.

Current participants: DUSCWE!, Blonds Run Amuck and myself.

Nighthunter, thanks for checking out the Otay Mtn. Truck Trail; I plan on driving through on my little 2WD pickup in the next month or so.

Well there's one cache I want to do if ever I make it up to Washington.

The name alone is awesome!  GCJ7VH

--TT--

You gotta love the hint on that one. Sign me up!

That's one disturbed cacher; check out his listed hobbies from his bios. He has only one find and one hide.

Good news is, there is no climbing; bad news, its in the middle of a marsh, yuk. Leeches anyone?

Edited by Chuy

I'm gonna be doing a bunch of traveling coming up in the next few months (don't worry...I've already given FlagMan my itineraries so he knows when he can get some FTFs <_< ) and it got me thinking about people's must-do lists when outside of their home zones. I've heard of some really cool ones in other parts of the country..some I've done..some I probably never will, but I thought I'd share my

National Must-do-someday list:

1) The Contact Cache (GC284F)

2) The Bloated Festering Head of My First Vicitm (GCJ7VH)

3) Trinity Site (GC22C0)

4) Oswald Revisited (GC41CD)

5) Tube Torcher (GC3CC9)

6) The Phantom Tollbooth (GCG5GV)

7) The Chamber of Secrets (GCGF2R)

8) HOGAN'S HOTEL (GCG1Z5)

Anyone else got any of their own must-do's to share?

--TT--

Edited by TucsonThompsen

remember when computoredge had huge multipage listings of all the bbs' in san diego?

I remember having a 100 baud....yes, that's 100, not 14,400....not 56,000....but 100. I remember hooking it up to my Commodore 64 and being amazed that I could connect to someone else's computer's BBS and download games. We used what we knew as "freak codes" to call long distance BBS's , which I later found out were really ripping people's calling cards off....but we were kids, and didn't know. Well, we had an idea that we might be doing wrong....but barely.

Wow...what a trip in the wayback machine.

I remember having a 100 baud....yes, that's 100, not 14,400....not 56,000....but 100. I remember hooking it up to my Commodore 64 and being amazed that I could connect to someone else's computer's BBS and download games. We used what we knew as "freak codes" to call long distance BBS's , which I later found out were really ripping people's calling cards off....but we were kids, and didn't know. Well, we had an idea that we might be doing wrong....but barely.

Wow...what a trip in the wayback machine.

must of been those ones you put the phone in the cups for like in war games...

i had a vicmodem for my c64 that you would dial the number and then plug it into the modem, it was 300 baud.. and i still have a 1670 thats 1200 baud, also my bbs i ran Niro's Domaine was a commodore 64/128 bbs. 2400 baud and on a 20 meg Lt. Kernal HD C-128 and ran Image 1.2a...

them were the days. :blink:

too bad about the night hunt. i definitely am interested in doing some hunting with other cachers, but i work untill 11:15pm friday nights. :blink:

Yeah! Put out my first signature scarab card and scarab pendant today. I decided to do something pretty cool with them. I laminated the card, punched a hole in it, tagged it, and attached my signature scarab pendant. Then I put it all in a ziploc snack bag. Each one will be numbered also. Of course, #1 is in the cache we went to today...

I went with my Dad on his first cache hunt. We went to Crow's Nest since I could help him find it, if he needed help. He needed very little coaxing, to find it.

Here's a pick of my sig item/card...

1stCard.jpg

cards.jpg

Here's my Dad checking out his first cache...

Dad1st.jpg

Edited by PC Painter
If you find some time on your hands Friday night, we have a small caching group doing some night hunting in the outlining areas around the Miramar Reservoir.

We will meet at 10P'ish at Vons next to Shandon's Oak Glen Garden, GCK3J0, and work our way counter-clockwise around the reservoir. If you have an FRS radio, bring it for car to car communications.

Current participants: DUSCWE!, Blonds Run Amuck and myself.

Nighthunter, thanks for checking out the Otay Mtn. Truck Trail; I plan on driving through on my little 2WD pickup in the next month or so.

We will meet at 10P'ish at Vons next to Shandon's Oak Glen Garden, GCK3J0, and work our way counter-clockwise around the reservoir

kiwimon said that I could go out after dark as long as I did not go alone. I would love to join you for some night caching.

We had fun on the night hunt outing. If it weren't for a rough start with Shandon's Maze2 and a police stop, everything went smoothly :mad: . It not as bad as it sounds; we wouldn't give up on the Maze (eventually a DNF) and some neighbors called the fuzz on us; a very understanding deputy wished us well after explaining our hobby.

I was impressed with the Blonds Run Amuck wanting to work a 2.5 mile multi hike at 2AM; the rest of us talked them into a more manageable half mile multi; you ladies rock! :mad: (And thanks for the brownies, yummy.)

DUCSWE is one dedicated caching machine; he joined after a desert campout in AZ and a three hour sleep.

D-Jollymon was quite a sport. He had found most of the caches we visited but he stayed with us to the end.

RayJimmy came caching in shorts; I hope your legs are alright ;) .

It was fun caching with you all; we gotta do it again.

Anyone up for Iron Mountain next Friday or Saturday night? I can't commit to either one until the Mrs decides when to hit Viejas.

Just a reminder to use your judgement when caching after bad weather or adverse conditions. Even though it rained 6 hours earlier, the Santa Ysabel Creek was in-passible today. Looks like Action Barbie's 'After this...I'll Need a Bath' will have to wait.

59ea3ef3-d9ac-4f8e-b411-ad35933d9bfb.jpg

Yeah, there's supposed to be a creek crossing in there somewhere.

Just a reminder to use your judgement when caching after bad weather or adverse conditions.

Yeah, Calculatus Eliminatus required alternate access today! I'll have to plead the Bart on that one... "I didn't do it! Nobody saw me!! You can't prove anything!!!"

38ea1847-2d81-455e-a84e-9dcef8254f26.jpg

Edited by FlagMan

Made it up to the La Brea tar pits yesterday, to get Trista the Tricer to her goal. It was a fun road trip, even with LA traffic. Not sure how people can stand to live there, when weekend traffic up there is worse than rush hour traffic here. It took us over 3 hours to get there on Sat, but only exactly 2 hours to get home this morning. Here's some pics...

chrisdino.jpg

tardino.jpg

I did some caching this morning and I just finished logging the last one.

YIKES

Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever seen Rocket Man and TT in the same place at the same time. :D

Hey...I can't tell if you guys have more fun here or actually caching. Is there a simple answer? :lol:

Edited by Mikes92040
I did some caching this morning and I just finished logging the last one.

YIKES

Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever seen Rocket Man and TT in the same place at the same time. :lol:

Hey...I can't tell if you guys have more fun here or actually caching. Is there a simple answer? :lol:

CREATING PUZZLE CACHES!!!!

Got a new one a-coming tomorrow. Heh heh heh! Keep clicking that reload browser button, folks! :D

--TT--

Thanks Chuy for putting together a fun night of caching on Friday night. :lol: We had 8 finds, 1 DNF, and 1 visit by the Sheriff. :D Enjoyed the caching company of Duscwe, Rayjimmy, DJollyman, Ginger the geo-dog (and Chuy). We traded many TB's, created our own instant TB (thanks to Flagman) and ate too many calories worth of brownies. Looking forward to the Iron Mtn night hunt that Chuy is putting together.....right Chuy??

... Looking forward to the Iron Mtn night hunt that Chuy is putting together.....right Chuy??

Yep, just finished putting together a route of the Iron Mtn caches, 12 total, and about 8-9 miles of hiking to visit 11; the twelfth is a Fattboy cache you can drive up to.

Check my log entry for Littlest Hurkey cache to download a map.

If it don't print well, I can email you a better copy.

How about we meet at 9P this time? There's going to be a lot of hiking.

This aerial shot shows the entire area; zoom in to take a better look at the trails; there appears to be lots of zigging and zagging!

That's this Friday, the 26th, at 9P. If this is too early for some of you owls, we can push it back to 10P.

Edited by Chuy