The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Ok....just got back from my first attempt and find! My brother went with me, but he didn't feel well, so we just did one that didn't require vertical climbing. We did the Crow's Nest, and it was amazing how the GPSr was accurate down to the very FOOT!

I think my brother is hooked enough that hopefully he'll sign up here as well.

Did our first multi-cache day today, and hit 3. Also got our first CA GeoCoin and our first TB. Makes for a good excuse for driving up to the LaBrea Tar Pits, to get the bug to it's destination.

Hey....anyone up for, maybe a campout over at the Mission Trails park, just off of Mission Gorge here in Santee? How often do we have gatherings in SD, and how do we organize them?

FlagSon Andrew made a great TV catch today. Geocaching.com was #7 on the World's Best Lost Treasures program on the Travel Channel (Channel 70 on TWC). Jeremy Irish was interviewed and they followed a couple of cachers on a multi-cache adventure. Way cool! This will probably repeat. Number 6 was a couple of gold hunters going after the Ute's goldmines in Utah.

FlagSon Andrew made a great TV catch today.  Geocaching.com was #7 on the World's Best Lost Treasures program on the Travel Channel (Channel 70 on TWC).  Jeremy Irish was interviewed and they followed a couple of cachers on a multi-cache adventure.  Way cool!  This will probably repeat.  Number 6 was a couple of gold hunters going after the Ute's goldmines in Utah.

Thanks Flagman. I checked and the show World's Best is on again at 11PM tonight with the same "Lost Treasures" episode on Travel channel. :D

It is also re-airing again Dec 1, 1300 Pacific!

Edited by TrailGators
FlagSon Andrew made a great TV catch today. Geocaching.com was #7 on the World's Best Lost Treasures program on the Travel Channel (Channel 70 on TWC). Jeremy Irish was interviewed and they followed a couple of cachers on a multi-cache adventure. Way cool! This will probably repeat. Number 6 was a couple of gold hunters going after the Ute's goldmines in Utah.

Be careful who you tell Lost Treasures about....it is how "blonds run amuck" was born and our lives haven't been the same since!!

Welcome to caching pc painter.............Samll Change is one of our favorite Night Hunter caches....also check out Proctor Valley Monster. :D

How often do we have gatherings in SD, and how do we organize them?

We just had our Second Annual Blair Valley Campout last month, the Feste of the Round Table the month before and our 2004 Summer Picnic a month earlier. Any event is a great way to meet other cachers and ask questions.

Parsa and I have talked about having more-frequent-less-formal gatherings with the idea that if you make it, great; if not, see you at the next one. These forums are the place where we kick around the ideas, then the official event comes out in the GC.com weekly cache announcements.

Hey, welcome to the game/sport/addiction.

Thanks very much for the welcome, Dan-oh and team blonds!

There a cache or two near the Mission Trails park where I thought we might want to do a campout. Plus, my Dad and I want to start a micro cache at a specific location there, in memory of my Grandma, who passed away a little under 3 years ago. Very much looking forward to placing that cache.

Edited by PC Painter

This past weekend we made a Pismo/SLO/Montana de Oro trip for some caching and to see the Monarch butterfly's overwintering site. OK, OK, we went for the butterflys and I got to do some caching. :huh:

We struck out during our hike in Pismo State Park only to hit a bonanza back by the car. Apparently Monarchs come back to the same tree year after year so there really is a reason they set up a monarch grove and kiosk in one area. My wife is all over Monarchs migration and other butterflys so I won't pretend I know too much but they're certainly a good reason to stop by the park. There's some fun caching up there too!

1monarch_branch.jpg

1monarch_close.jpg

1butterfly_cascade.jpg

This past weekend we made a Pismo/SLO/Montana de Oro trip for some caching and to see the Monarch butterfly's overwintering site. OK, OK, we went for the butterflys and I got to do some caching. :huh:

If your wife is into butterfly's, you should have stopped in Goleta on the way up to Pismo. I was up at UCSB the previous weekend visiting my son and we did a few caches near the campus. The first one that I did with him was Butterflies!. It was in the Ellwood Monarch Grove which this page describes as "the premier Monarch site in southern California". It was a pretty cool place. I did not even know about it until we went there looking for the cache. There is another cache in the grove called The Monarchy, but you have to go find a travel bug with a key on it first. There are also two good caches nearby that are on the cliff over the coast. Next time…

RM

1. PC Painter, welcome to caching (and cool avatar; is that a spider?) I live in Lakeside and have several hides out here, as well as at MTRP. You will notice my hides tend to be challenging on the terrain rating but easy on the old noodle, unlike those TT hides, :lol: ; I grow gray hair just thinking about some of them :huh: .

2. DUSCWE! and I are planning a night hunt this Friday night, 10p'ish to 1a'ish; we are looking at some Poway hunts. Send me an email if you are interested in joining us. Thekitedude? anyone else; I have an extra flashlight :huh: .

3. This afternoon I visited Nighthunter's Mr. O'Neal's French Windmill cache near Otay Mtn. Very nice views and I parked within 350 feet of the cache. Best news is that the road to Otay Mtn is now open; I called the Brownfield Border Patrol station to confirm. However, a sign at the entrance behind Kuebler's Ranch indicates the trail is washed out in some places. It gives no details about the severity; the Border Patrol agent I spoke to also did not know, nor did he know if you can drive through to the 94.

Nighthunter, can you look into this?

1. PC Painter, welcome to caching (and cool avatar; is that a spider?) I live in Lakeside and have several hides out here, as well as at MTRP. You will notice my hides tend to be challenging on the terrain rating but easy on the old noodle, unlike those TT hides, :lol: ; I grow gray hair just thinking about some of them :huh: .

Heh....maybe I should try TT's, then. I could use the hair...even if it's grey! :huh:

Heh....maybe I should try TT's, then. I could use the hair...even if it's grey! :lol:

Welcome PC Painter! Your Avatar reminds me of a Journey album cover.

I printed out some TT cache pages and I'm rubbing them on my head! Hey, I've tried everything else!

Anyhow, I would recommend saving the TT's caches for the next time you are feeling a little masochistic. His caches have had the reverse effect on me, I Ioose hair when I do them. :huh:

Heh....maybe I should try TT's, then. I could use the hair...even if it's grey! :lol:

Welcome PC Painter! Your Avatar reminds me of a Journey album cover.

I printed out some TT cache pages and I'm rubbing them on my head! Hey, I've tried everything else!

Anyhow, I would recommend saving the TT's caches for the next time you are feeling a little masochistic. His caches have had the reverse effect on me, I Ioose hair when I do them. :huh:

LOL, thanks! Check out my bio...You were right on the money, regarding my avatar. I did the artwork for Journey's last CD cover. I created the one in my avatar, among several others, to present for them to use. It's one of several I created, that they have not used. I'm a little surprised, as I think it's a great deal better than the one that they used for the cover. Go figure....heh. Thanks again. :huh:

Off to work...blech.

That is funny, I had no idea! Maybe you could hide a series of caches named after the album covers you've designed!  :lol:

That's a great idea! Only two official covers, and one bass drum piece so far, but (Godwilling) more will come! I figure Journey is a good name to drop to band managers...lol.

One or two should be OK. I only have placed 3.33 after almost 2 years. The 0.33 is one that Rocket Man, Fkrexcal and I recently placed together at a degree confluence (N33,W116). Yes, I know I'm a slacker compared to some. But I am working on some cool ideas, I just need time to gather the props! But everytime I get time I go caching instead! :(

By the way, no offense to the new guy but I liked Journey with Steve Perry better!

That is funny, I had no idea! Maybe you could hide a series of caches named after the album covers you've designed!  :lol:

That's a great idea! Only two official covers, and one bass drum piece so far, but (Godwilling) more will come! I figure Journey is a good name to drop to band managers...lol.

One or two should be OK. I only have placed 3.33 after almost 2 years. The 0.33 is one that Rocket Man, Fkrexcal and I recently placed together at a degree confluence (N33,W116). Yes, I know I'm a slacker compared to some. But I am working on some cool ideas, I just need time to gather the props! But everytime I get time I go caching instead! :(

By the way, no offense to the new guy but I liked Journey with Steve Perry better!

Heh...no offense taken...but, have you listened to their "Arrival" CD? It was their first full CD with the current lead singer...and it's amazing. I was one of the ones that did not want to accept a Journey without Steve Perry, but Steve Augeri blew me away! The album is outstanding, and Mr Augeri is the most humble and considerate man. Every time I've seen him before or after a show, he has been amazingly gracious. In fact, the entire band has. I was remarking to my GF (now ex-GF) about some guitars in their dressing room in Vegas, and Jon (Cain) said "Why don't we just give him one?"...and Neal (Schon) said "Ok, cool". They just simply autographed and gave me a fender strat. Seriously....the nicest guys you could expect to meet, and it's nice (for a change) to find that someone you've always looked up to, manages to live up to your expectations, and exceed them.

I saw Journey in concert at SD State last year with REO and Styx but I would have rather had a strat like you got! :(

But speaking of Styx. I used to have a tape with Styx on one side and Rolling Stones on the other. I called it my Styx and Stones tape. :lol:

We are getting off topic: So speaking of Sticks and Stones that is an awesome cache up in Escondido you should add to your list! :lol:

Edited by TrailGators
I saw Journey in concert at SD State last spring with REO and Styx but I would have rather had a strat like you got! :lol:

But speaking of Styx. I used to have a tape with Styx on one side and Rolling Stones on the other. I called it my Styx and Stones tape. :(

We are getting off topic: So speaking of Sticks and Stones that is an awesome cache up in Escondido you should add to your list! :lol:

You're starting to scare me....cause I swear to you, that I had the EXACT same thing on a tape...Styx and Stones...LOL! Styx's latest CD is friggin great. It's called Cyclorama. I was at that show, too....great show! Did you happen to see two guys (maybe 10 or 11 rows back on the floor) holding up an American flag, while Neal played the Star Spangled Banner, on his guitar? That was my brother and me.

I'll have to check out that cache, thanks!

Hey PC! Where are you headed to in LA?

To the LaBrea tar pits, to take "Trista the Tricer" to her goal, and take pics of her there. I found a cache up there about 5 miles from the tar pits, and it's in the very same cave that they used to show the batmobile coming out of, for the batman tv show. It's pretty popular, so my brother and I are going to try and place her in that one, so that Trista can make her way back to her owner.