The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Has anybody heard of Otayzilla?!

I caught one in a remote lake in Northern Minnesota (aren't they all remote?) back in 1987. I caught it while fishing late at night, supposedly the only time they can be caught. Apparentely they've spread to lakes across the country. These are the only pictures I have of the "creature" I caught that night.

3bb.jpg

O-Tay Zilla !

buckwheat%20fixed.JPG

Looks like my ex wife when she was a child...

Has anybody heard of Otayzilla?!

I caught one in a remote lake in Northern Minnesota (aren't they all remote?) back in 1987. I caught it while fishing late at night, supposedly the only time they can be caught. Apparentely they've spread to lakes across the country. These are the only pictures I have of the "creature" I caught that night.

3bb.jpg

O-Tay Zilla !

buckwheat%20fixed.JPG

Looks like my ex wife when she was a child...

It sure put me in the mood for some sushi! Anyone have any wasabi?

An interesting ( and kind of scary) thing happened to us today in MTRP. We were trail running up Spring Canyon and decided to go high past the Old Camp Elliot cache along the ridge line and then back down into Spring Canyon. It's an awesome 8 mile run. When we were up on the ridge we happened to remember that TRViolin had placed some caches up here...no GPS or clue where they were but we spotted what was a perfect spot for a cache...sure enough we found One Tree Hill ( not TRViolin's, but a cool cache spot). The scary thing was after we got back down into the canyon and were maybe .5 miles from the overpass we ran straight into the cross fire of a bunch of marines with paint guns and quads. I got hit before I knew what was happening and turned around and headed back where PCWoody was. JonnyA was up ahead and I guess they saw him and didn't fire. They finally stopped and I said "Hey you got me". In conversation they told me I was on military land and that they practice there all the time and even worse is that the ridge is in direct line of a firing range and we shouldn't be up there. Do any of you know if these guys were right? The map from geo-caching website shows all these caches as ok.

Did you ask for name and rank? :blink:

I have not hiked past the Camp Elliot cache, but my neighbor bike rides over there all the time. He told me there are marked signs down yonder but it sounds as if you were south of them.

You sure they were Marines? Isn't that area Air Force/Navy, if at all? Where's D-Jollymon, he can sniff them out.

Did you ask for name and rank? :wub:

I have not hiked past the Camp Elliot cache, but my neighbor bike rides over there all the time. He told me there are marked signs down yonder but it sounds as if you were south of them.

You sure they were Marines? Isn't that area Air Force/Navy, if at all? Where's D-Jollymon, he can sniff them out.

:blink::ph34r: Well...they were in flight suits which is sort of strange for Marines but one had a name tag that said corporal so and so. The one that did all the talking said he has requested signs and will started putting them up. Miramar is all marines now. Too bad I didn't think to "drop" D-jollymon's name..that would have shut them up. I'm not gonna stop going there..will just go a little later. This was at about 2:30ish when we started. I guess I'll ask cegrube..he knows every inch of this area. Maybe I'll stick to sweetwater...it just has angry 5 foot long diamondbacks with bent tails crossing the trail. :ph34r:

<snip>

For some reason, I was sure that was the Fiji Mermaid but that particular one looks different.

I guess merpeople were the hoax of choice at some time. :blink:

275_275.jpg

Has anybody heard of Otayzilla?! :wub:

Sounds like a job for DrExotic!

Whatcha say Jeff, sound like a good place for a caching trip? :ph34r:

Gotta love those Monitor Lizards! :ph34r:

If it's there now it's gonna be very slow! At 60 degrees they can't even move! :blink:

I'm up for the adventure anytime but this weekend (trip with My Valentine!) :wub:

Jeff / drexotic

Anybody else in the same boat as me?

I submitted a new cache yesterday morning and it was published (for most folks at 2 PM (or maybe before that time). :blink:

I was sitting at my desk when I got notice that it was published at 4:44 PM. :ph34r:

LLOT was the first to find at 2:10 PM (he had posted his find by the time I got notice). I got notified of his posting at 2: 45 AM (this morning)!!??!! :ph34r:

Is it common for notifications to come out at widely diverse times or is GC just having problems, or is it me? :wub:

Jeff / drexotic

I submitted a new cache yesterday morning and it was published (for most folks at 2 PM (or maybe before that time). :ph34r:

I was sitting at my desk when I got notice that it was published at 4:44 PM. :blink:

LLOT was the first to find at 2:10 PM (he had posted his find by the time I got notice). I got notified of his posting at 2: 45 AM (this morning)!!??!! :wub:

Is it common for notifications to come out at widely diverse times or is GC just having problems, or is it me? :ph34r:

Jeff / drexotic

It's probably got something to do with your server, Jeff. I got the notification of the new cache around the time it was posted -- early afternoon.

Hmmm...photoshopping with actual animal parts... :lol:

Harmon, is this Lesson #13?[snip]

Anybody you know?

I'm puzzled who that could be.... :)

Very cool 'shop there Harmon!

You should make a bunch of these and use them for a new puzzle cache! :laughing:

This has been floating around the web for a while:

http://www.laughparty.com/view.php?id=1058...1&sort=2&cat=14

I guess I'm spending too much time on this website......

Anyhow, I'm sure Harmon could make one of those with one us us!...C'mon Harmon! I double dog dare ya! :laughing:

Hmmm...photoshopping with actual animal parts... :laughing:

Harmon, is this Lesson #13?

89582693-14e8-4969-8c43-4469e3f5b618.jpg

Anybody you know?

I'm puzzled who that could be.... :)

Very cool 'shop there Harmon!

You should make a bunch of these and use them for a new puzzle cache! :laughing:

This has been floating around the web for a while:

http://www.laughparty.com/view.php?id=1058...1&sort=2&cat=14

Right on RM, it's from my Internet gallery. So's the other two. Best link for this sort of stuff is 1000.com.

Still, I like Trailgators idea about a beastiality puzzle cache. Maybe I'll work up some beastly composites using San Diego cachers. Let me see now, who was it that started this discussion?

Edited by SD Rowdies
Here's my brother. He leads a dogs life.

ccc99ee1-1883-4370-b9ba-e0f944ec3eec.jpg

Harmon....are you trying to convert this thread into a Banter thread? :)

Not to be picky but I can still your brother's real nose...

Now just a doggone minute, look back at who started this discussion. Still I was hoping that momma Sleuth would post her dawg. Thanks SallyM.

Edited by SD Rowdies
Your right, this should be on the banter page. I had done that photo a long ago time ago after seeing the original dog. It is not as easy to do as one would think. I left the nose on purpose as it did not look right without it. Give it a try...finding the right dog and the right person is hard. This is my brother and his dog.

Sorry about that Sally, I thought Harmon did that!! Boy, I'm sure knee deep in it now! :laughing: I think 'ol Harmon set me up! :) Anyhow, I didn't mean to step on your toes! :laughing: I know morphing is very hard to do! That was one of the first things I wanted to learn how to do when we started the Banter thread. I have never been able to do it very well. The closest I ever got to doing an OK job at it was when I applied one of Harmon's lessons by morphing John&Jess, D-Jollymon and C4 into the Wizard of Oz scene skipping down the yellow brick road. But that was a cakewalk compared to morphing human faces into animals or creatures. :lol:

Edited by TrailGators

I submitted a new cache yesterday morning and it was published (for most folks at 2 PM (or maybe before that time). :laughing:

I was sitting at my desk when I got notice that it was published at 4:44 PM. :laughing:

LLOT was the first to find at 2:10 PM (he had posted his find by the time I got notice). I got notified of his posting at 2: 45 AM (this morning)!!??!! :)

I had something happen to me this week that was similar -- but the message was sent direct -- it did not pass through gc.com...

On Sunday evening, I sent some information on a virtual to the cache owner. The page specifically said not to log the cache until I got a response so I was holding off. By Wednesday, I had not gotten a response (which was a little odd since the owner is active...) So I sent another message. I got a response saying to go ahead and log the cache and by the way, he had responded to my first message on Monday morning. I checked my spam folder and my trash folder. No message. It was a mystery.

Six hours later, it [the message sent on Monday morning] showed up... :lol::) :)

Is anyone else having trouble with their cache publication notifications?

I haven't received any new cache notifications in several days.

I've always suspected something about John&Jess. I think they are double agents. Now that we have this new Cold-War-Relic approving caches here, I think they have conspired to foil my bid for FTFs. :P

At least that's my reasoning for how they beat me on the 4 new GrnZoom caches today! :D

They found them early this morning...I need to get them involved in church! :cool:

:anicute::D

Is anyone else having trouble with their cache publication notifications?

I haven't received any new cache notifications in several days.

I've always suspected something about John&Jess. I think they are double agents. Now that we have this new Cold-War-Relic approving caches here, I think they have conspired to foil my bid for FTFs. :P

At least that's my reasoning for how they beat me on the 4 new GrnZoom caches today! :D

They found them early this morning...I need to get them involved in church! :cool:

:anicute::D

I didn't get any notifications on those 4 caches or even the 5th one....that just showed up.... :D

I have been off the Forum for the past week and discovered I could not get when I attempted to access it today. Everything else worked fine. It turns out the server upgrade included new software that is persnickity about special characters in passwords. Here is the reply I got from the admin - who responded to my inquiry in less than an hour. I ended up having to change my Geocaching.com password to standard characters (recommendation #3 below) since #1 did not work and #2 did not apply.

Perhaps others are having similar problems arising from using a "strong" password and one of Groundspeak's suggested corrective actions may be of help.

-Gecko Dad

Hello

We recently went through a complete upgrade of our forum software.

Unfortunately because we link the forum software accounts to

geocaching.com we occasionally have issues with how geocaching.com

manages

logins compared to how the forum software does. These are some common

issues (and possible solutions) that can help you get logged in:

(NOTE: #3 seems to be the most common. Characters include #!$%& )

1. The quickest known fix is to log into geocaching.com and click on

the

"forums" link on the left hand side of the page. By clicking on the

link

while logged in, the site updates the forum database with your most up

to

date account information. This can sometimes overwrite bad information

that was breaking your login.

2. The second known problem is if you have two accounts that have the

same

email address. If you wish to use the forums you should keep your

primary

account and try and change the email address of other accounts. Also if

you use the same password for all of your accounts this tends to

alleviate

the problem.

3. If you have weird characters in your password the site may get

confused

and won't be able to let you log in. Try and only use characters on a

standard keyboard in your password.

4. Finally, Go to your My Profile page and select "edit my profile"

Remove

everything from your Forum Signature

box. Select update account. Now try to enter the forums from the link

on

the left side of the home page. If this works you have something in

your

sig line that the new software can not accept.

I hope this helps. We're continuing to work on ways to make this an

easier

transition. Thanks for your patience.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Michael

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

You see! It's a conspiracy I tell you! ;)

We never signed up for the automatic email notification... It works better the old fashoned way for us B) , sometimes we even write coords down and PUNCH THEM IN BY HAND B):D:P ~Jess

You guys and your FTF mania are quite entertaining for us slow pokes! :D

Try this FTF utility; it works off a pocket query. I find it more useful than the Notifications, and it works as long as the pocket query is being generated.

You see! It's a conspiracy I tell you! ;)

We never signed up for the automatic email notification... It works better the old fashoned way for us :P , sometimes we even write coords down and PUNCH THEM IN BY HAND B):):D ~Jess

You guys and your FTF mania are quite entertaining for us slow pokes! :D

Try this FTF utility; it works off a pocket query. I find it more useful than the Notifications, and it works as long as the pocket query is being generated.

Your link doesn't seem to be working for me, Chuy, but I suspect that you are using the same one that we've been using for a long time. I like it better than the notifications. 'course, it doesn't help when you are hiking all day and lose out on a bunch of FTFs to John & Jess B):D

Edited by Snake & Rooster
Weird, link is correct when you move cursor over it.

http://www.factsfacts.com/geocachingsoft/FirstToFind.htm

Just started receiving the notifications for caches published the past 2-3 days.

I just started getting notifications too.... I think a screw is loose at GC....

Anyhow that's a cool program it works great for me! I had already created a PQ for newest caches. But I use it to do a quick update for me geepus. I figured out a long time ago that beating John&Jess to FTFs is almost impossible. I do have a new cache called Highland Meadow that has not been found yet!!! :mellow:

I haven't got any new notifications until today. :ph34r::lol::P Then, a whole bunch came in today. Glad to know others were having the same problem. BUT, how did other people get the listings if we didn't???? :mellow::P:D

It involves rocket science... :ph34r:

What you gotta do is use your web browser. Go to Geocaching.com and look for the little "NEW!" icon. :D (That's how we did it...)

Of course, our task was made a little easier due to the fact that this was the week that there were 143 new caches within 450 feet of our house. (Ok, I'm exaggerating, but not by much...) B)

Dangit. I flunked the rocket science class. I knew I would need it one day. :mellow:

I haven't got any new notifications until today. :lol::P:D Then, a whole bunch came in today. Glad to know others were having the same problem. BUT, how did other people get the listings if we didn't???? :P:D:ph34r:

It involves rocket science... :ph34r:

What you gotta do is use your web browser. Go to Geocaching.com and look for the little "NEW!" icon. B) (That's how we did it...)

Of course, our task was made a little easier due to the fact that this was the week that there were 143 new caches within 450 feet of our house. (Ok, I'm exaggerating, but not by much...) B)