The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Thanks Chuy for putting together another successful "Night Stalking"  <_< adventure of Iron Mountain.  It was a beautiful full moon night, perfect for a 13 find, 1 hide, 10 mile night trek.....let us know what's next on the schedule.  BTW....be looking for our hide, I posted it today.

Thanks you for the brownies and trail mix.

We had another fun night hunt with no broken bones or lost hikers, but SOMEONE lost their GPS on the homestretch, stretching our hike from 9.7 to 10.5 miles :mad: . Actually, the GPS got snagged on a branch when we were placing the hide. It was a long night; we finished around 2:30A, but with a full moon out and mostly clear skies, we had a very nice hike.

Participants: Blonds Run Amuck; D-Jollymon; BADCOP; Sammie, Badcop's 13 yr old daughter; 2 co-workers, Marc and Mike; and geodogs, Liberty, Ryder and Ginger.

Unforturnately, Liberty and Ryder could not continue up to Iron Mtn (they weigh 80 and 110 lbs, respectively.) BADCOP stayed behind with them for the two hours or so it took the rest of us to go up and return. But we kept him entertained with on FRS radios. Ginger probably hiked 12 miles as she was running circles around us. D-Jollymon was the only one capable of keeping up with her; Semper Fi.

Hello

Been reading through the threads and seems you guys have a pretty cool group going. I've only begun this adventure game but have been having a blast. I hope to meet up with some of you........and sorry I missed that picnic event.

Happy Geocaching!

:lol:

Welcome to our game/obsession!

D!

Just wanted to drop a line and say hello on this thread. I got into geocaching about 6 months ago and I am having a blast. Hope to meet some fellow cachers at the next event. I missed the Chili cookoff in Borrego and I heard it was a blast. Just got back from some night caching with D-Jollymon!! laterz...

Just wanted to drop a line and say hello on this thread.  I got into geocaching about 6 months ago and I am having a blast.  Hope to meet some fellow cachers at the next event.  I missed the Chili cookoff in Borrego and I heard it was a blast.  Just got back from some night caching with D-Jollymon!!  laterz...

Don't let this guys quiet demeanor fool you! Drew has quite a devious mind and has shown some very creative hides so far. Give him a little more time to sharpen his skills and he'll have all of us guessing.

Now if Drew and I worked together we'd have you wondering if thats really the town of Rock Ridge or just a set...

So do I need to shell out $10 for a movie or can I find any local treasure without it?

No need to see the movie to complete the cache. That was a bit ambiguous -- I've deleted that "must-see" wording from the cache page. Just go to the posted coordinates and follow the clues. It does appear that there are some time restrictions on several of the locations. Seems the posted coordinates can only be accessed using the recommended access until 7 pm (not sure when it opens in the morning). But there may be other sneaky ways in......

By the way, it would help to have an accomplice at home on the computer for this one......

Edited by FlagMan

If this has been asked in the previous 37 pages of San Dego Thread I apologize for the repetition.

Some of my friends and I will be visiting San Diego in January to go geocaching. Last year it was Las Vegas and a couple months ago it was Mammoth Mountain. Now we are coming further south. I was wondering if you could recommend some "don't miss' geocaches in the area. I think we mostly want to explore along the shoreline since we did desert caching in Nevada. Based on a real brief look, Whale Poop Island looks unique and Who's Getting Wet looks fun. We might use geocaching as an excuse to rent sea kayaks and get the geocache off the La Jolla coast. Any other suggestions?

Glenn

Some of my friends and I will be visiting San Diego in January to go geocaching. Last year it was Las Vegas and a couple months ago it was Mammoth Mountain. Now we are coming further south. I was wondering if you could recommend some "don't miss' geocaches in the area. I think we mostly want to explore along the shoreline since we did desert caching in Nevada.

Hi Glenn,

I just sent you a message about other puzzle caches in the area, since you've solved my House! puzzle. If you want more sea-side caches, I can recommend these ones:

Swim-suit Optional - Surf Check

Up Up and Away!

La Jolla View

Come to think of it, a few of mine are next to the ocean or have good views of it:

My Favourite View #1

My Favourite View #2

Lifeguard Lookup (virtual)

Point Loma Lights

...Some of my friends and I will be visiting San Diego in January to go geocaching...

Glen - Narrow down the area that you'll be staying (and when) so we can fine tune some suggestions. San Diego is a pretty big county with lotsa great caches.

Since you mentioned La Jolla, one of my favs is 'Black Beards Grotto' (GCHW60). You'll need to catch it on a very low tide, at least a -1 so be sure to check an online tide chart. Its a great exploration of the La Jolla caves and cliffs.

Dan-oh

If this has been asked in the previous 37 pages of San Dego Thread I apologize for the repetition.

Some of my friends and I will be visiting San Diego in January to go geocaching. Last year it was Las Vegas and a couple months ago it was Mammoth Mountain. Now we are coming further south. I was wondering if you could recommend some "don't miss' geocaches in the area. I think we mostly want to explore along the shoreline since we did desert caching in Nevada. Based on a real brief look, Whale Poop Island looks unique and Who's Getting Wet looks fun. We might use geocaching as an excuse to rent sea kayaks and get the geocache off the La Jolla coast. Any other suggestions?

Glenn

Some of my favorites along the coast, or on my to-do list:

GCHW60, Black Beard's Grotto - (to-do list);

GCGP1Q, Ghost Rider Graveyard - basically, all the ones on Mt. Soledad;

GCHJEC, A Sure Thing- nice beach walk (a multi I have started but not finished);

GCG2PT, Green Eggs and Ham - nice views;

GCJMVQ, None More Southwesterly - you'll be within feet of Mexico and a Border Patrol agent will likely be watching you, just say hi; they're friendly.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some other good ones; enjoy your stay.

Based on a real brief look, Whale Poop Island looks unique and Who's Getting Wet looks fun. We might use geocaching as an excuse to rent sea kayaks and get the geocache off the La Jolla coast. Any other suggestions?

Hmmm. Whale Poop Island in January????

"Shrinkage Jerry!!!! Shrinkage!"

Might also check out the whole lot of caches in Balboa Park. There are some neat virtuals out at Cabrillo Point, and several urban micros around downtown and Shelter Island.

--TT--

The "Blonds" have 4WD and want to go to the new Cougar Canyon cache.  Let us know when!  :lol:

I have Friday free, can fit one or two in my Jeep. I have a stock Jeep Wrangler, don't know if it will be enough...

Here is what you are up against:

0414ced3-fc81-4e33-bd8e-830d75a466ba.jpg

It is not as bad as it looks - Really. I see people do it in stock vehicles all the time, and in a Jeep, it should be a snap (and I don't mean snap, like Jeep parts breaking). Make sure you check out Thank God I Made It on the way in. There are several others in the area as well.

RM

Based on a real brief look, Whale Poop Island looks unique and Who's Getting Wet looks fun.  We might use geocaching as an excuse to rent sea kayaks and get the geocache off the La Jolla coast.  Any other suggestions?

Hmmm. Whale Poop Island in January????

"Shrinkage Jerry!!!! Shrinkage!"

--TT--

Whale Poop is unique if you swim it; boating out there takes all the fun out of it, and you won't appreciate the title either.

GCHYJR, Fear Factor: Up the Rat Hole, is another local favorite. It's inland but only about a 10 minute drive from La Jolla Shores.

I was wondering if you could recommend some "don't miss' geocaches in the area.

Well, it doesn't look like you have any shortage of replies. Here is my suggestion:

I think the single most coolest cache for any tourist is GC6A9C - A Tuna View of San Diego, especially if you do a little planning first. Each waypoint takes you to a great part of San Diego. And if you do it right, you can plan on grabbing several caches around the areas of each stop.

I think the single most coolest cache for any tourist is GC6A9C - A Tuna View of San Diego, especially if you do a little planning first.  Each waypoint takes you to a great part of San Diego.  And if you do it right, you can plan on grabbing several caches around the areas of each stop.

Wow, I'd never noticed that cache before. I might be downtown doing a bit of shopping at the weekend, and getting the last of the Triwizard Tournament dragons, so I might have a go. As you say, it'll take a bit of planning to do it efficiently...

It's great that eveybody's sharing favorites! We were actually discussing this very item in another forum recently: Favorite Cache System. The bottom line is that Jeremy is planning on implementing a system to do just this! He will start simple by giving eveyone a favorite cache list to maintain in their profile. Then eventually he will gather the data from everyone's favorites and highlight the consensus favorites in all parts of the country/world. So someday you'll be able to do a PQ and very quickly gather this handy info!! :lol:

This is what is could look like someday:7c1cb782-3cc0-4b32-9c7c-4910455c5819.jpg

Edited by TrailGators
This might be a good idea, as long as people can't nominate their own caches.

You could only list favorites that you've logged. The idea started off as a rating system but everyone in the forum agreed that that idea could hurt some feelings. That wasn't the intent at all. So the idea evolved into just listing your favorite caches that you'd recommend to another cacher visiting your home turf.

You could only list favorites that you've logged.

I wouldn't mind seeing a To-Do list as well, which could be limited to caches you haven't logged as Found. And it would be nice to be able to add caches from someone's Favorites to your To-Do list.

Edited by ahimsa
You could only list favorites that you've logged.

I wouldn't mind seeing a To-Do list as well, which could be limited to caches you haven't logged as Found. And it would be nice to be able to add caches from someone's Favorites to your To-Do list.

There already is a To-Do list, it is called the Watchlist. You can click on the "watch this cache" box in the upper right corner of any cache to add it to your Watchlist. When we get Favorites someday you could add them to your Watchlist the same way.

Edited by TrailGators
There already is a To-Do list, it is called the Watchlist. You can click on the "watch this cache" box in the upper right corner of any cache to add it to your Watchlist.

I'm using my watch list also to watch caches containing our TB's. It would be nice to separate them. I'm hoping for something a little bit more functional, with a way to perhaps arrange the order of the list. Will that be something we can do with our Favorites (e.g. this one is my very, very favorite!)?

On edit: also, I don't really need email notifications for every visit to my To-Do cache list. Nor My Favorite caches, come to think of it!

Edited by ahimsa
There already is a To-Do list, it is called the Watchlist. You can click on the "watch this cache" box in the upper right corner of any cache to add it to your Watchlist.

I'm using my watch list also to watch caches containing our TB's. It would be nice to separate them. I'm hoping for something a little bit more functional, with a way to perhaps arrange the order of the list. Will that be something we can do with our Favorites (e.g. this one is my very, very favorite!)?

On edit: also, I don't really need email notifications for every visit to my To-Do cache list. Nor My Favorite caches, come to think of it!

I wish you could turn off the email thing for certain caches too! I'm surprised that we don't get automatic emails for our own bugs. I had one Jeep TB and it vanished like many other Jeep TBs.

As far as the favorites, I agree with you. I am hoping they will let us rank our own list!

Edited by TrailGators
I'm surprised tht you don't get automatic emails for your own bugs.

Hehe, we like to see how many people pass them by before someone picks them up! :)

On edit: Also, we can see if anyone reports them missing (we lost two and took a long time to figure it out). :laughing:

Edited by ahimsa
Also, we can see if anyone reports them missing (we lost two and took a long time to figure it out).  :laughing:

You can click on the TB icon in your profile to see the status of all your bugs. I'm not sure I'd want emails everytime somebody found my bug....that would bug me! :)

We DO get automated emails every time someone logs our TB!

I'm not sure I'd want emails everytime somebody found my bug....that would bug me! :laughing:

The owner of a TB get an e-mail notification every time the bug is logged. Since I have so many TB's, I get a lot of e-mail messages, most of which I scan and delete. I actually get dozens of e-mail notifications from geocaching.com every day from three sources: TB logs, logs on caches I own, and logs on caches/TB's on my Watch List (yes, you can actually place a TB on your watch list just like you can a cache). What I have done is set up a Rule/Alert in Outlook that places all of these messages into a separate e-mail folder that I have labeled "Geocaching." That way they do not clog up my Inbox and I can look at them at my leisure. Of course, if they really bugged you, you could set up the Rule/Alert to simply delete those messages automatically. I use this Rule/Alert feature as a way to sort of screen my calls, so to speak. Of course, not everyone is on Outlook, but I would guess that most e-mail programs have similar features.

The owner of a TB get an e-mail notification every time the bug is logged. Since I have so many TB's, I get a lot of e-mail messages, most of which I scan and delete. I actually get dozens of e-mail notifications from geocaching.com every day from three sources: TB logs, logs on caches I own, and logs on caches/TB's on my Watch List (yes, you can actually place a TB on your watch list just like you can a cache). What I have done is set up a Rule/Alert in Outlook that places all of these messages into a separate e-mail folder that I have labeled "Geocaching." That way they do not clog up my Inbox and I can look at them at my leisure. Of course, if they really bugged you, you could set up the Rule/Alert to simply delete those messages automatically. I use this Rule/Alert feature as a way to sort of screen my calls, so to speak. Of course, not everyone is on Outlook, but I would guess that most e-mail programs have similar features.

Sounds like information overload! Good idea on the Outlook folder! I switched to gmail for all geocaching stuff. So gmail is my folder! But I think it would be handy if Groundspeak could add an "email notification" check box next to each item in your Hidden list and Watchlist in the future. Some people love getting all those emails and some don't (me). That is why I usually only put caches that I am actually about to do in my Watchlist. I think I'll go to another forum and make this idea suggestion (and get bombarded with "we've heard that before" answers). :laughing:

The "Blonds" have 4WD and want to go to the new Cougar Canyon cache.  Let us know when!  :laughing:

I have Friday free, can fit one or two in my Jeep. I have a stock Jeep Wrangler, don't know if it will be enough...

Here is what you are up against:

0414ced3-fc81-4e33-bd8e-830d75a466ba.jpg

It is not as bad as it looks - Really. I see people do it in stock vehicles all the time, and in a Jeep, it should be a snap (and I don't mean snap, like Jeep parts breaking). Make sure you check out Thank God I Made It on the way in. There are several others in the area as well.

RM

About how long would it take to get to the trailhead from Escon? I see stock Jeeps have made it before, mine is stock so I am interested in doing this cache. Is anyone interested in getting a small group together and making a run out there perhaps in a couple of weeks??

About how long would it take to get to the trailhead from Escon?

It is about 60 miles from Escondido. We left at 6:30AM and got back at 7:30PM. We would have gotten back sooner if we hadn't had to pull two trucks out of a huge mud puddle. The second guy got stuck trying to pull the first guy out. Good think there were 3 of us out there. Don't even think about going through any large mud puddles!! No 4WD can handle deep mud!

Edited by TrailGators

You know, all the fun little things that they're adding are great.... Geology caches, favorites... they're all good. However, I'm to the point where I want to bribe someone at geocaching.com to come up with a way to totally turn off found caches on the maps page. You can turn off the check symbol, but the caches are still there cluttering up the map. I can't even see the unfound caches on the maps unless I zoom in almost all the way.

Parsa

However, I'm to the point where I want to bribe someone at geocaching.com to come up with a way to totally turn off found caches on the maps page. You can turn off the check symbol, but the caches are still there cluttering up the map.

It seems to work for me - if I go to a map from a search results page, then uncheck the You Found/Own* box on the right and then click the map (with Pan selected), the found icons disappear.

I'm to the point where I want to bribe someone at geocaching.com to come up with a way to totally turn off found caches on the maps page. You can turn off the check symbol, but the caches are still there cluttering up the map. I can't even see the unfound caches on the maps unless I zoom in almost all the way.

Yeah...I got sick of that too. I wound up going ahead and using GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) and importing the GC.com .GPX files into it via pocket queries. I was then able to create a database for all my finds, hides, and nearest caches to be found, and exported them to MS Streets & Trips. Plots it all out real nicely and I can turn off useless crap or turn on what I want to see ad nauseum. GSAK is a very useful tool to have.

--TT--

Here's an interesting stat I found today regarding local cachers over 1000 finds:

Team.....................................Finds..............Rank in World

Splashman..............................1740....................#72

RUSCAL..................................1648....................#90

Team Gecko............................1643....................#91

Parsa......................................1404....................#145

TucsonThompsen.....................1350....................#156

Arcticabn.................................1114....................#223

Duscwe!..................................1104....................#229

dhsundance.............................1100....................#231

vagabond................................1078....................#237

FlagMan..................................1061....................#251

p.wood...................................1044....................#264

Of course we're all WAY behind #1 in the world, CCCooperAgency with 7599 finds!

Yeah...who says it not all about the numbers?

:blink::(

--TT--

Yeah...I got sick of that too. I wound up going ahead and using GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) and importing the GC.com .GPX files into it via pocket queries. I was then able to create a database for all my finds, hides, and nearest caches to be found, and exported them to MS Streets & Trips. Plots it all out real nicely and I can turn off useless crap or turn on what I want to see ad nauseum. GSAK is a very useful tool to have.

--TT--

You can now open gpx files from Pocket Queries (unfounds and actives only) directly with Mapsource latest Version 6.5. Talk about fast!

I then use the Cachemate gpx-to-pdb converter program and then dump the pdb file into Cachemate on my Palm and I am set to Rock and Roll!

Have any of you guys ever heard of this Boulter's Geocaching Express Logger? It sounds pretty cool. You create a text file when you are caching with all cache waypoints you found and then paste them from the text file into the express logger when you get back. It eliminates searching for every cache and logging them one by one.

Edited by TrailGators
Here's an interesting stat I found today regarding local cachers over 1000 finds:

Team.....................................Finds..............Rank in World

Splashman..............................1740....................#72

RUSCAL..................................1648....................#90

Team Gecko............................1643....................#91

Parsa......................................1404....................#145

TucsonThompsen.....................1350....................#156

Arcticabn.................................1114....................#223

Duscwe!..................................1104....................#229

dhsundance.............................1100....................#231

vagabond................................1078....................#237

FlagMan..................................1061....................#251

p.wood...................................1044....................#264

Of course we're all WAY behind #1 in the world, CCCooperAgency with 7599 finds!

Yeah...who says it not all about the numbers?

:(:blink:

--TT--

Yeah TT, you have to stay away from those stat pages. They will turn you into a cachaholic for sure! I just tell myself.... one day at a time...... one day at a time.... one day at

Ruscal