Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
niksagkram

Was GPSr purchase worth it??

Hi. The wife and I have been Geocaching for about 1½ years, and have over 500 finds using the iPhone app, and we loved it's ease of use. Recently, we have considered doing our first hide(s) and felt a GPSr would be necessary to achieve this accurately, so, after a little research,  we purchased a Garmin etrex touch 25. We updated the unit, and uploaded a couple of pocket queries. Fine so far. Went on a road trip with the new GPSr, but ended up using the iPhone for most of the trip. The Garmin just felt like a "step back". It just felt awkward to navigate to a cache, and logging the cache was a chore. Maybe we are just not familiar enough with GPSr, and should give it a fair shot (especially since we can't return it now). Maybe it will shine more when we head to the mountains on the spring,  but am still really wondering if buying it was worth it.  

What are other Geocachers thoughts?

Hi.

It's a controversial subject.  Some people are devoted to their GPS units, others to their phones + app.

I'm in the latter camp.  I've parked my Garmin units permanently, and am caching very happily with an Android phone and a very capable map/caching app from a 3rd-party vendor.  No regrets.

But since you've made the purchase, give it an honest try before ebaying it.  :)

A GPS will feel like a step back in technology for the very reason that, unlike many other tech devices, they are tools designed with a specific purpose, and that limitation keeps them fairly reliable and bombproof. I've been using a GPS from the beginning, and to me, navigating to a cache with my smartphone feels awkward. Loading a few PQs is a breeze, and uploading drafts/field notes and logging my finds on the computer is such a smoother process than trying to type out a log on my phone while I'm at the cache.

I also use my GPS for hiking and orienteering, and again, there will be a camp who uses phone apps for this purpose. But the GPS has its conveniences, namely being simply a GPS without any other features to drain the battery or keep me distracted.

For what you are doing, it is probably not worth it.  If you are doing hiking or backpacking, the iPhone is a pain due to the battery life and fragile nature. They are also not as accurate, but for most people it does not matter much.  Now, if you are comparing to a ruggedized, long battery life phone, it is a different comparison.

We see this a lot with new folks who started with phones.  Just what you're used to.   :)

Years ago, we had blue legends that'd fade out just by leaves in trees, and we printed cache pages for info.

The other 2/3rds cached with a blackberry and the trimble app in '05, and didn't fare any better...

- Just look at earlier threads to see how many phones were flat-out carp back then. 

Things change...

But I feel my latest GPSr purchase was worth it.  We bought two 60csx in '05, and they're still working fine.

- Let me know how your phone holds up after you've used it for over twelve years.     ;)

Thanks for the replies, guys. Pretty much what I expected. :)

I really do like the idea of the GPSr, for all the noted reasons, but I feel my learning curve is a little high, old dog new tricks kind of thing.  :o

I'm not going to give up on it though. I will do a little research, and maybe get a little more involved with the local Geocaching Community. I'm sure some of them can give me some pointers.

Once again, thanks for all the input.

Happy Hunting. :antenna: