Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 8
noncentric

Adventure Lab - new app for Lab Caches

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, arisoft said:

Lab Guidelines do not mention anything about physical stages. I guess that saturation rules do not apply for them because of the temporary nature.

Lab Caches don't need to be temporary. And the saturation rule does apply to physical stages, but the current procedure to verify this is very clumsy.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, baer2006 said:

Lab Caches don't need to be temporary.

 

This is not what Lab guidelines are telling to us.

"These Adventures will remain active for at least six months, or potentially longer, for the community to enjoy."

If permanent Labs have physical stages and no need to obey saturation rules the situation is unbearable.

 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, arisoft said:

This is not what Lab guidelines are telling to us.

"These Adventures will remain active for at least six months, or potentially longer, for the community to enjoy."

Yes. "At least 6 months, maybe longer". That's what I meant when I said they don't need to be temporary.

3 hours ago, arisoft said:

If permanent Labs have physical stages and no need to obey saturation rules the situation is unbearable.

I said, that the saturation rule does apply to physical stages of lab caches.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, baer2006 said:

Yes. "At least 6 months, maybe longer". That's what I meant when I said they don't need to be temporary.

 

We must have different meaning for temporary. Let's consult some "authority". (Google)

 

temporary
/ˈtɛmp(ə)rəri/
adjective
adjective: temporary
  1. 1.
    lasting for only a limited period of time; not permanent.
2 hours ago, baer2006 said:

I said, that the saturation rule does apply to physical stages of lab caches.

 

I can't see anything in the guidelines. Do you know somehow that there is a way to review physical waypoints and saturation of Lab caches before publication?

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, arisoft said:
5 hours ago, baer2006 said:

I said, that the saturation rule does apply to physical stages of lab caches.

 

I can't see anything in the guidelines. Do you know somehow that there is a way to review physical waypoints and saturation of Lab caches before publication?

I got one of the 250 Adventure Labs in the current "test phase". It came with instructions how to handle physical stages. Basically, you create a dummy listing of a multi-cache with the physical stage locations for the sole purpose of checking for proximity conflicts. After that check, the dummy listing is no longer needed. I know that this is just a work-around, and that there are a few obvious weaknesses. That's why I said above that the procedure is a bit clumsy.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, arisoft said:
5 hours ago, baer2006 said:

Yes. "At least 6 months, maybe longer". That's what I meant when I said they don't need to be temporary.

 

We must have different meaning for temporary. Let's consult some "authority". (Google)

 

temporary
/ˈtɛmp(ə)rəri/
adjective
adjective: temporary
  1. 1.
    lasting for only a limited period of time; not permanent.

Ok, one last try from me ... "At least six months, maybe longer" means, that the lower limit for the lifetime is 6 months, but there is no upper limit. So you can place a temporary lab cache, but you can also keep it permanently active. The same as for all other cache types, actually.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, baer2006 said:

Ok, one last try from me ... "At least six months, maybe longer" means, that the lower limit for the lifetime is 6 months, but there is no upper limit. So you can place a temporary lab cache, but you can also keep it permanently active. The same as for all other cache types, actually.

 

This is not the case. Normal geocache is intented to be permanent but at least 3 months.

 

" These Adventures will remain active for at least six months, or potentially longer "

 

There is no promise for more than 6 months. For an optimist it is eternity and for a pessimist it is only half a year. :D

Edited by arisoft

Share this post


Link to post

Proximity rules for the Adventure Lab I played a couple weeks ago were not enforced. The ALC tag placed at the location with the code word was within a couple hundred feet of existing Traditional geocaches for at least three of the locations.

In one location, I signed the cache log while my friend entered the code for the ALC stage standing next to me.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, K13 said:

Proximity rules for the Adventure Lab I played a couple weeks ago were not enforced. The ALC tag placed at the location with the code word was within a couple hundred feet of existing Traditional geocaches for at least three of the locations.

In one location, I signed the cache log while my friend entered the code for the ALC stage standing next to me.

It's not enforced by the ALC Builder tool. You can enter any coordinate you like, and if you decide not to have your physical locations checked with the "dummy multi-cache" work-around, then that's it. It's not much different from a normal multi-cache - there you can also "forget" ;) to list a physical stage as a hidden waypoint, if it would violate the proximity rule.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, K13 said:

Proximity rules for the Adventure Lab I played a couple weeks ago were not enforced.

 

Proximity rules for physical waypoints apply only if a public ALC is available more than three weeks. Is the ALC still available?

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, arisoft said:

 

Proximity rules for physical waypoints apply only if a public ALC is available more than three weeks. Is the ALC still available?

 

Yes, still available.

Share this post


Link to post

I´ve installed the app on my mobile and lokked at one adventure. At first glance it seems to me like a Where I go, without the requirement of a physical log.

Is this impression totaly wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2019 at 5:24 AM, arisoft said:

Normal geocache is intented to be permanent but at least 3 months.

 

" These Adventures will remain active for at least six months, or potentially longer "

 

Normal cache: Minimum 3 months.

Adventure Labs: Minimum 6 months.

Clear as day.

You can say "permanent but at least 3 months", but in the end the implication is the same as "6 months or longer", unless a clause states that a Lab cannot be permanent.

Edited by thebruce0
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Advanture lab caches are a positive step in GC, we like it. 

 

We would like to help you with some improvements of the application as follows. 

  • Too complicated control, e.g. swap between compass and map. Also selection of the map type was somewhere hidden during our game. We propose to use very clear and user friendly UX, i.e. “industry standard” implemented in the great Cachly application.
  • It would be very nice to have possibility to export GPX file of visited lab caches for adjacent  processing in the GSAK database.
  • It would be nice to open Q/A window on entering the zone (similarly to Wherigo).
  • We didn’t catch a purpose of the Journal. When we finished journey, journal was still empty, no records with time stamp nor answer were there.
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

On the cache trail last weekend with my caching buddy. He suggested doing an adventure lab cache up at Waterloo Village, NJ.  The hunt worked like a charm for him but for this once Premium member, not so good.  I use a GPS. This new cache type is invisible to me and therefore I have no way to log the caches I found. Like the WIGs before this, they will remain a part of the game that has no meaning for me unless I borrow equipment.

Here in PA and northern NJ, where phone signal can be spotty my GPS has filled in where my cache buddies go signal blind. It's nice that there are some new features but they are useless to me. I don't intend to "upgrade" to cell phone caching, just maybe a new hobby.

 

Feeling a less than Premium member,

LVSciGuy

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, LVSciGuy said:

This new cache type is invisible to me and therefore I have no way to log the caches I found.

 

This makes me curious, what did you actually find and how?

 

If you were with a friend who told you that you found something, why didn't your friend let you to log this finding as supposed?

Share this post


Link to post

He had the lab cache open and as we walked around the location the lab questions (stations?) would pop up. He was using the map view so we were weaving around old style (drunken bee). We'd arrive at the location, read the question, locate the answer. He'd input the answer and we'd move on when the chime sounded. The game was played through his account. Unlike our sign in on a physical find, there was no way for me to log my find even if I found the needed info. I'm guessing the only way to do that would be to borrow his phone, log in under my account, log into the lab adventure and re-walk the lab cache, logging the 'finds' again at each station. Not being a phone user, is their a way to have two accounts open on one phone?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, LVSciGuy said:

I'm guessing the only way to do that would be to borrow his phone, log in under my account, log into the lab adventure and re-walk the lab cache, logging the 'finds' again at each station. Not being a phone user, is their a way to have two accounts open on one phone?

 

I think that it is possible to log both finds at every stage this way. No need to visit the stages again. It just takes more time to swap logins but it is possible.

Share this post


Link to post

I was checking the GC desktop and filter settings - Adventure Lab caches, which are public(?), do not appear there. Evidently, they only visible with the app?  As to launching both account simultaneously, we will have to try that.

As to logging on cache trips together, I have heard that some folks in some SE US areas will expect others to move away from a find until it is rehiden so that each member of the team can find the cache for himself. Wow, does that make a cache day longer

 

Share this post


Link to post

Yep. You need to be logged in to the app with your account to log the find on your accounts.

 

It's not a 'loss' for PM without a phone. It's a new feature of the game that didn't previously exist even while you already had PM. So it's a new feature developed for geocaching that PM never guarantee access to without a smartphone. If buying PM included the clause that premium membership would grant you access to every new future developed feature, that would be different. Since the vast majority of people and geocaching demographic now have a smartphone (even if not used for geocaching), it's for the most part a non-issue.

I agree it's unfortunate for people who don't have a smartphone, but there are many things people without a smartphone can't do these days. This is one more thing that may (or may not) lead to someone becoming a smartphone user. Guess it's a decision each person will need to make, eh?

Share this post


Link to post

Indeed. Even "purist" an extinct term.  I have been asked to establish a geocaching experience for a Scout Jamboree - official lab caches now out.  I'll publish a few traditional types but then have the rest private stashes, I suppose.

 

An anachronistic premium member,

 

LVSG

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, LVSciGuy said:

As to logging on cache trips together, I have heard that some folks in some SE US areas will expect others to move away from a find until it is rehiden so that each member of the team can find the cache for himself. Wow, does that make a cache day longer

 

The day is 24 hours long in both ways. It all depends what kind of experience you are looking for - geocaching or just hanging around with friends.

Share this post


Link to post

Today I did the lab cache at the mega in Belgium and it wasn't a fun experience to wonder if you will be able to log your finds because the system was overload with all the players at the same time.

 

I was able to log them all after rebooting the app a couple of times...

 

Groundspeak seem to have underestimated the number of simultaneous players.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

I tried to use the app yesterday the first time. Although my smartphone definitly had a GPS fix (Locus app worked as usual), the Adventure Lab App did not manage to talk to my GPS. Therefore the lab I would have liked to play was shown in a distance of x thousand kilometers... My smartphone still has an older Android version (4.4.2), but the app can be installed without problems on this version and therefore should also work. 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, keksbande said:

I tried to use the app yesterday the first time. Although my smartphone definitly had a GPS fix (Locus app worked as usual), the Adventure Lab App did not manage to talk to my GPS. Therefore the lab I would have liked to play was shown in a distance of x thousand kilometers... My smartphone still has an older Android version (4.4.2), but the app can be installed without problems on this version and therefore should also work. 

A friend of mine with a relatively recent Android version had exactly the same problem yesterday. And I had that problem two weeks ago, when I wanted only to look into the app to see if any ALCs are nearby. The only "common factor", which I can see for the bug's occurrences, is that access to Groundspeak's services was somewhat disrupted at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, keksbande said:

I tried to use the app yesterday the first time. Although my smartphone definitly had a GPS fix (Locus app worked as usual), the Adventure Lab App did not manage to talk to my GPS. Therefore the lab I would have liked to play was shown in a distance of x thousand kilometers... My smartphone still has an older Android version (4.4.2), but the app can be installed without problems on this version and therefore should also work. 

 

Did you allow also Wifi and cell positioning? For me the Lab App never (during last month) worked without allowing that too.

 

And to me it seemed that the position in the Lab App is rotating between values obtained from GPS and values via cell positioning/wifi (you can notice that when in a park that hasn't wifi and no cell towers at every corner, GPS is at spot, everything else not really).

 

At some moments I was thinking GPS can't be used at all, the direction arrow was pointing up to 25° to another direction. But that might have other reasons.

 

Edited by AnnaMoritz

Share this post


Link to post

Well, I would never have guessed that activating WIFI would change anything... But after activting WIFI the app now seems to get a GPS fix. Thanks for this hint. Hopefully this will then also work, when I have the next chance to try the lab.

Share this post


Link to post

Well, I now had a closer look.

 

You don't need to activate WiFi using the 'normal' button for this and it isn't shown as symbol 'Wi-Fi on'' and you don't need to activate 'Use GPS, Wi-Fi and mobile networks' in Location access if your Location mode is set to 'Use GPS only' and Wi-Fi not active.

 

You only need to see the 'nagging screen' in the Adventure Lab telling you 'For a better experience, turn on device location, which uses Google's location service.' That won't go away anyway if you insist on clicking 'No thanks'. So you might choose to press 'Yes'. What happens?

 

LocationAccessGPSOnly-NotReally.png.80d758abb68aa36d851bf2c47b2d8e6e.png

 

On the screen for Location access (left in picture) nothing seems to be changed, still 'Use GPS only'. Looking at the status bar, no active Wi-Fi.

 

Only when looking at 'Scan setting' (the three dots in upper right corner) you see that 'Yes' activated 'allowing system apps and services to detect Wi-Fi networks at any time'.


Well, it seems the Adventure App user who doesn't like the device scanning for Wi-Fi at any time, even when 'Access my location' is turned off has to know without explanation what pressing the 'turn on device location' button in the Adventure Lab triggers and what the device then keeps on doing after closing the Adventure Lab until you manually disable Wi-Fi scanning again.

 

So be sure to turn Wi-i scanning off again after using the Lab Adventure App if you are one of those old-fashioned fossils that don't use Wi-Fi and don't want your device to continue scanning for Wi-Fi networks at any time, even if 'Access my location' is turned off.

 

Once you have got a GPS-Fix it seems you could turn off Wi-Fi scanning again if you don't mind clicking on 'No, thanks' every other second and if you are able to use the time in between the pop-ups to navigate, open the Lab and answer the question.

 

Share this post


Link to post

iPhone 7

app keeps crashing 

Share this post


Link to post

I'm once again wishing that there were some Start/End dates displayed for the Adventures.  Does anyone know if  THIS  Adventure in Seguin, TX is still active?  I'm not able to find it in my app, on either Android or iOS.  I can see it in the "View Logs" section at labs.geocaching.com - as I completed it during a recent trip, but there's nothing on that website that indicates whether the Adventure is still active or not.

Share this post


Link to post

My husband and I tried out the new Adventure Lab app last weekend and really enjoyed it!   It felt similar to a Wherigo but with more complex graphics/information being displayed.  I also liked the fact that each location was like its own virtual and counted as a find.  We would love to try some more in the future!  

 

The only thing I would love to see is the ability to actually write a log instead of just have the "journal" that doesn't offer much except a short message after completing each stage.  I would love to be able to comment on each location just like you would with a virtual log.  This way it would also show up in your geocaching log history too.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 8

×
×
  • Create New...