Sign in to follow this  
Followers 5
gginnj

This device does not have a compass.....Where'd it go?

about 2 months ago, our Samsung J7 stopped showing the compass when navigating - now it says the device

doesn't have a compass - use the map to navigate.

So it seems the J7 lacks a magnetic sensor - but why did it work in the geocache app a few months ago for the

previous year or so? and just recently stopped working.

19 minutes ago, gginnj said:

about 2 months ago, our Samsung J7 stopped showing the compass when navigating - now it says the device

doesn't have a compass - use the map to navigate.

So it seems the J7 lacks a magnetic sensor - but why did it work in the geocache app a few months ago for the

previous year or so? and just recently stopped working.

I posted the same thing under release notes! I'll try to include a link.

My post is on Nov. 20. My compass always worked until this last update. Now I either have to buy a phone with a compass sensor or go without. It's maddening!! I used the compass feature a lot!

Edited by Max and 99

That seems MADNESS :o:wacko::blink:. I would guess most people use the compass most of the time. I certainly do. I rarely use the map, except maybe in very built up cities, but I rarely cache in such a place. A map isn't as good where there are no roads and paths.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

That seems MADNESS :o:wacko::blink:. I would guess most people use the compass most of the time. I certainly do. I rarely use the map, except maybe in very built up cities, but I rarely cache in such a place. A map isn't as good where there are no roads and paths.

There is no other word to describe how I feel except MADNESS!  Why just this app update was affected? Regardless of the reason I am so frustrated!

Wait...this was because of an app update? or because of an Android OS update?

GG

2 minutes ago, gginnj said:

Wait...this was because of an app update? or because of an Android OS update?

GG

It happened to me as soon as I updated my app, right around the time of the release notes on app navigation.

Which app are you talking about? A friend (sitting right next to me, who uses his phone a lot) still has a compass and it has recently been updated. It's an Android based phone and uses the geocaching app for Android.

48 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

Which app are you talking about? A friend (sitting right next to me, who uses his phone a lot) still has a compass and it has recently been updated. It's an Android based phone and uses the geocaching app for Android.

The official Geocaching app. My phone is Android.

49 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

this seems to be isolated to the android phones that do not have a magnetic sensor. In our case it's a samsung J7 - not the S7

5 minutes ago, gginnj said:

this seems to be isolated to the android phones that do not have a magnetic sensor. In our case it's a samsung J7 - not the S7

Apparently so, but it always worked before on the same phone!

1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

Apparently so, but it always worked before on the same phone!

Yeah, they seem to have linked access to the "compass" screen to the device having a magnetic sensor "compass". They aren't the same thing though, and Groundspeak's app was apparently working fine displaying the "compass" screen to those who did not have a magnetic sensor "compass".

3 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

I would guess most people use the compass most of the time.

I generally use the map screen with the compass overlay turned on. The fact that Groundspeak's app doesn't have this feature is part of why I avoid using it.

For those of you whose devices are registering as having no compass, can I ask what the compass screen was displaying before? Would the compass face still rotate?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, rocketgarden said:

For those of you whose devices are registering as having no compass, can I ask what the compass screen was displaying before? Would the compass face still rotate?

I believe it did. I have screenshots that I took for Waymarking. 

21 hours ago, rocketgarden said:

it looked just like a compass - the needle would rotate - but the display was a north up display.

Some Android phones don't have a compass sensor (like the Moto G4) so any compass related apps won't rotate. Google is migrating their internal sensor software to more advanced versions to be more accurate with less battery usage. As apps update to use this newer internal Android software that's dependent on a compass sensor they may no longer function as before. It's really not the app's fault as they are dependent on Google/Android so must adapt as Android changes. The blame really goes to the hardware manufacturers who chose not to include important sensors to save money.

I've got a J7 as well and am having the same issues. I've had the phone for over a year and it's been fine... now it's not working.  Was the general consensus that we're screwed?

On 12/11/2018 at 5:02 AM, Goldenwattle said:

Which app are you talking about? 

Since this is the Geocaching® Android App sub forum, I think it's safe to assume for the sake of argument that if someone just refers to "the app," they mean the Geocaching® Android App.

:anibad:

I've got a J7 as well and am having the same issues. I've had the phone for over a year and it's been fine... now it's not working.  Was the general consensus that we're screwed?

That summarizes how I feel.

7 hours ago, hzoi said:

Since this is the Geocaching® Android App sub forum, I think it's safe to assume for the sake of argument that if someone just refers to "the app," they mean the Geocaching® Android App.

:anibad:

Okay, well mine still works. I have an Android phone.

The problem with losing this screen, for me, is that it also displays my current lat/long and the cache's lat/long, side by side. These values are not dependent on having a compass sensor, but for some reason the app now denies me the ability to see them because my phone lacks unrelated hardware.

I especially liked using this screen when hiding a cache. It was a good check against the lat/long my GPSr reported.

It's very frustrating this feature has been blocked for no apparent reason.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1