Logscaler hits 1000!!!

Navdog

I crossed Logscalers path indirectly once. There was a cache part way up one heck of a nasty switchback on the road between Riggins & McCall in Idaho. We got skunked. He drove by just to check up on the cache (placed by tourists) and found it missing. Then he put another container there.

I've never been back that far over again to redeem my skunk but I thought what Logscaler did was pretty cool.

Let's not forget the 50 hides, all but a couple of which are still active. Hiding and maintaining caches, including epics like Pine Mountain Ridge Runner (one of the most difficult caches in the state), is much more work than finding them.

I sometimes find Logscaler's cache descriptions and logs bewildering, and he's prone to go off on the occasional rant, but that's part of his charm. He and Red, who I understand is the brains behind this operation, are good people and fine representatives of the sport. icon_biggrin.gif

Congratulations logscaler and Red. I've had many fun experiences relating to you guys.

My first was my first cache hide. I screwed up the waypoints and sent logscaler way out into nowhere to find a tag that had coords to where he was standing. He actually went back to redo when I fixed it.

Pine Mountain was a bear. The toughest one I've done. I remember him mentioning that he would get even for North Fork and he definately did. Speaking of North Fork Crooked River, that was the best log entry I have ever read. I still chuckle.

On my trips to Boise, Missoula, Lewiston, Brownsville,etc., I've come across logscaler & Red logs and hidden caches. Small world.

Thanks for the fun. Was it McGraths??

"At this place we had wintered...and lived as well as we had any right to expect"

-William Clark-

quote:
Originally posted by Chief Paulina:

Congratulations logscaler and Red. I've had many fun experiences relating to you guys.

My first was my first cache hide. I screwed up the waypoints and sent logscaler way out into nowhere to find a tag that had coords to where he was standing. He actually went back to redo when I fixed it.

Pine Mountain was a bear. The toughest one I've done. I remember him mentioning that he would get even for North Fork and he definately did. Speaking of North Fork Crooked River, that was the best log entry I have ever read. I still chuckle.

On my trips to Boise, Missoula, Lewiston, Brownsville,etc., I've come across logscaler & Red logs and hidden caches. Small world.

Thanks for the fun. Was it McGraths??

"At this place we had wintered...and lived as well as we had any right to expect"

-William Clark-

I've got to do those two caches you mentioned. Sounds like good ones for 1500 down the road.

Moun10bike : Yes I have. But you should see the machete I pack now in the rig now, just in case I end up back in your area sometime.

Evergreen hiker : We logged 1000 at Gnat Creek one our way back home from Astoria.

flir~girl : Red and I have lots of favorites in several states. Idaho has View of Mark's Butte and Big Eddy and Cedars 1 and several more.

Washington has Roosevelt Grove cache and Eagle Nest and Steptoe Butte and more.

As for Montana, Sawmill the Second was fun as was Urban Safari, which I hope gets back up and running sometime.

California had several in and around Crescent City, What a Darling Place and Pitcher Plants, Tall Stumps, and others.

Oregon. Well what Can we say about our home state. Mostly they are all good but a few do stand out. Like Hash Rock , Landz End, Fremont's Point, which is toasted right now, Mt. Emily was fun and as for the Klamath Falls area, they are all entertaining, to say the least.

If I had to pick which one was tops, I would have to say "the next one".

logscaler.

"Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction?

Fiction, after all, has to make sense."

Mark Twain.

Congratulations logscaler and Red, you are two AWSOME people.

Let’s see now… You started caching May 4th 2001 and found number 1000 on October 19th, 2003… umm... lets see… carry the zero… divide by 2… round up…

You should hit 2000 around May 4th 2006… that’s about the time I’ll hit 250.

GREAT JOB!

Sluggo and Sugar

This 'flying saucer' situation is not at all imaginary or seeing too much in some natural phenomena. Something is really flying around. The phenomenon is something real and not visionary or fictitious. - Gen. Nathan Twining Chief of Staff, US Air Force, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

Hey Logscaler!

Congarts. on the 1000th!

You were the one that posed the qustion to me about what was my favorite. Of course that encouraged me to address the many caches, events and people I had enjoyed during that time.

So... what are some of your favorites?

Donna (aka Wienerdog)

Oh!

I just noticed you posted some. Well... there is always room for more. What was the weirdest thing you ran into?

I have lots of stories. I did't think about telling about those! icon_confused.gif

For instance. While in a certain place in a different country I and EGH ran upon an area that was filled with trash. I MEAN trash. Garbage bags you wouldn't want to open. It was a very pretty place. Except for the garbage. Being the determined cacher I was last summer I start looking in the garbage bags. Much to my partners dismay. Voila! There was the little cahcheeee!

Not complaining. It added a twist. But I was glad we had Handi-Wipes in the car!

Donna (WD) icon_rolleyes.gif

Weirdest thing we have ever run into huh?

Lets see, We have not meet Lazyboy yet so that leaves him out. As we have not meet any approvers yet, we will have to hold judgement on that also.

We have meet oregone and fractal and they where just plain strange and not all that weird. Now, we have seen some interesting country and we have meet some real "interesting" people but as for weird, I am not sure, yet.

But then again, In Montana we where searching for a cache and we could "smell" something real rank. Red found a "paper rose" on her side of the bush and after I had given her a piggyback ride through a soft spot on the way back to the car, as she was sitting down to get in she noticed she had some "human waste" on her shoe. I did not get any on me but we did stop at WalMart and throw those shoes away and get her some new shoes ans socks to wear. Or there was this cache in Fruitland Idaho that was in a garbage dump - kinda like yours -or there was this one cache near Valley River Center in Eugene that had a bum sleeping near it, or the cache that a beach walker had taken the cache home as garbage but read the logbook and brought the cache back - including signing the logbook. Or there was this cache in Spokane that was in an active bees nest or the cache's in Northern Idaho that where in patches of Devil's Club. But after this many finds and hunts, defining weird is getting harder to do.

I guess we will have to think about it for a while.

logscaler and Red.

"Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction?

Fiction, after all, has to make sense."

Mark Twain.

Forgive me for posting this so late...

My deepest congratulations to you, logscaler and Red!

Also, my most sincere 'thanks' for helping me with the OHL series of caches.

Glad to have met you at that event in Eugene, and I hope to run into you again in the future icon_smile.gif

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

N 45* 30.ish

W 122* 58.ish