Eastside cachers

Pepper

quote:
Originally posted by k7-wave:

quote:
Originally posted by EraSeek:

Click on "planatary K-idex plot" and take a look at how the chart has peaked:

http://www.sec.noaa.gov/nav/gps.html

_"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington_

This is a huge one and is having widespread effects. The 6-meter amateur radio band is wide open to Hawaii right now! Nobody expected that..totally unheard of at this point in the sunspot cycle!

-----

Tom

K7WV

So good bet to see NL?

Cacherunner got her new Xmas Rino 120 today, (Santa got here early, and apparently he lives in Oregon. Must be NORTHERN Oregon) so she's off playing. Hope the sun doesn't mess up her coords icon_wink.gif Looking forward to the Aurora blazing tonight.

I just wanted to tell you guys we miss you. Come visit.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

How much intelligence does it take to sneak up on a piece of tupperware?

I watched for the NL as my plane flew in last night, and then as we drove home from SeaTac, and I did a bit of star-gazing from my deck....no luck. Ah well.

The good news, though, is I'm home and ready to cache in the great NorthWest! icon_smile.gif

My sister (who lives in Salt Lake City) told me that she gets tired of caching sometimes. "It's just walking across some field and spying a group of rocks and knowing a cache is there." I got a taste of that in Wyoming. There aren't many places to hide caches in open prairies and barren mountainsides, so the challenge of the find is pretty minimal. It's great to find nice hikes and special places, but sometimes you want more.

Tomorrow Pepper and I are off to attempt some of the local challenges -- tough puzzles, lots of underbrush to dig through, and satellites getting lost in the trees. Now that's caching!!

Cin

P.S. Evidently there were some Northern Lights visible Tuesday night. You can see photos of them here (along with a gorgeous sunset): http://www.komotv.com/stories/28016.htm

[This message was edited by CachinCin on October 30, 2003 at 11:29 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by CachinCin:

I watched for the NL as my plane flew in last night, and then as we drove home from SeaTac, and I did a bit of star-gazing from my deck....no luck. Ah well.

The good news, though, is I'm home and ready to cache in the great NorthWest! icon_smile.gif

My sister (who lives in Salt Lake City) told me that she gets tired of caching sometimes. "It's just walking across some field and spying a group of rocks and knowing a cache is there." I got a taste of that in Wyoming. There aren't many places to hide caches in open prairies and barren mountainsides, so the challenge of the find is pretty minimal. It's great to find nice hikes and special places, but sometimes you want more.

Tomorrow Pepper and I are off to attempt some of the local challenges -- tough puzzles, lots of underbrush to dig through, and satellites getting lost in the trees. Now that's caching!!

Cin

P.S. Evidently there were some Northern Lights visible Tuesday night. You can see photos of them here (along with a gorgeous sunset): http://www.komotv.com/stories/28016.htm

[This message was edited by CachinCin on October 30, 2003 at 11:29 AM.]

Awesome pics...especially the last two! Now I know what to look for!

Yep. I upgraded mine from 4.02 with no problems. I have read though if the receiver hangs during the upgrade process, you will need to remove the batteries and then start it back up. I don't have time to look it up right now, but there are threads on this in the software forum that will give you hints on what to look for. After you upgrade, you will need to calibrate your compass.

Cheers!

TL

quote:
Have any of the Magellan users in this group downloaded the new software upgrade?

http://www.magellangps.com/en/support/software.asp

I was just wondering if it all seems to work well.

My new Color Sportrak actually crashed hard, and I had to send it in this week. I was pressing some buttons navigating through the menus, and it froze up, reverting back to the start up screen which flashed on and off. None of the buttons would work, and I was only able to shut it off by pulling out the batteries. A call to their support line revealed I could not fix the thing from home, and so I have returned to using my little 315 until I get the new one back. I'm trusting that they will update it with the newest software when they repair it. Uggh!!

"Where shall the world be found, where will the word resound? Not here, there is not enough silence." - T.S. Eliot

www.pdxgeocaching.com

OMG it's snowing on my house!

What a cool thang to wake up to on the very cold Sunday morning.

Now you need to know this ole Texan is VERY excited.

I've already called home a bragged about my weather.

My brother tells me yesterday at the A&M game it was sunny and 85!

Wake everybody!!!!

icon_biggrin.gif

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

OMG it's snowing on my house!

What a cool thang to wake up to on the very cold Sunday morning.

Now you need to know this ole Texan is VERY excited.

I've already called home a bragged about my weather.

My brother tells me yesterday at the A&M game it was sunny and 85!

Wake everybody!!!!

icon_biggrin.gif

Pepper

http://www.geocachingwa.org

Snow is great! I hate it when driving though. We're gonna have us a cold winter I think...definitely colder than the last two.

Saw it the same time you did. icon_biggrin.gif But I had to have my first cup of coffee before I can act human about it. LOL

On another note, I'm going to try to hit your cache sometime this week. My time has been completely tied up since the WGSA meeting and I barely got my halloween stuff out in time and now it is snowing on it! icon_rolleyes.gif

Yah I agree with you EGH! It is going to be a cold winter. It is possible we'll see the best snow we've seen in years too! It'll be a good year for snow camping when I go this January I think. I'll have to break out my snow forecasting spreadsheet and figure out what kind of weather to expect on the already scheduled event. Two years ago, we (40 guys) found ourselves in near knee-deep snow.. I had to carve out a spot to handle my 12x16 tent. Luckily, I brought along a nice snow shovel to make it a little easier.

I've been involved with this since 1999, but didn't start taking pictures till 2001 on these events. No women allowed! No offense, but you gals don't really want to be around this anyway. icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers!

TL

[This message was edited by TotemLake on November 02, 2003 at 08:49 AM.]

For scheduling purposes you folks up near HQ might find this helpful.

Good luck with the weather icon_frown.gif

Total Eclipse of the Moon

KIRKLAND, WASHINGTON

o ' o '

W122 12, N47 41

Pacific Standard Time

Moon's

Azimuth Altitude

h m o o

Moonrise 2003 Nov 08 16:38 65.6 ----

Moon enters totality 2003 Nov 08 17:06.3 70.6 3.7

Middle of eclipse 2003 Nov 08 17:18.5 72.7 5.6

Moon leaves totality 2003 Nov 08 17:30.7 74.7 7.5

Moon leaves umbra 2003 Nov 08 19:04.5 90.9 22.9

Moon leaves penumbra 2003 Nov 08 20:21.9 105.7 35.6

Moonset 2003 Nov 09 07:47 298.6 ----

QUICK everybody go outside and check out the Moon it is Awesome!!!

Thanks ES for the heads up I would of missed had you not let us know.

WOW what a day, a shared FTF on Noogie with good company, finished up another FOF i've been working on ALL week, Moon watching and great weather. What more can a girl ask for?

Pepper

I was planning a cache run up Mount Si, with Criminal. Then He punks out at the last minute. Some weak excuse. Like his wife reminded him about some mysterious thing.

Anyways does anyone want to climb Mount Si in the morning? Four caches can be had. Around 8AM at the trail head.

E-mail me the forums are still glichy.

Just got done watching Jeremy, Seth, & Adrian on King5's Northwest Backroads. I didn't recognize the other cachers -- anyone have names for them? It was a nicely done show. By the way, I believe that you can catch the show tomorrow at 6pm, if you missed it today.

Cin (who drove out to a great vantage point tonight for the eclipse -- wonderful!)

The woman with the kids and shoulder-length blonde hair was CameraThyme. I'm not sure who the reddish-haired woman with her was. I thought that the cache that they were shown hunting was the now-archived "Rabbits and Silver Eagles," but I see that she has never logged that one.

Seth!, Adrian and Trey were shown hunting my "Follow the Red Brick Road" cache in Redmond.

The cool little cylindrical container that Jeremy was shown handling was waypoint 1 of our now-archived "da Vinci's Cable" cache.

That story originally aired on "Evening Magazine" a year or two back. You can see Seth! putting a John Curley trading card into the cache as a joke! I actually have that card in my collection here at home.

Any guesses what cache Grant Goodeve was looking for and failed to find? The text they overlaid on the screen indicated that it was hidden by a Girl Scout Troop, so I was thinking "Troop 591."

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

Any guesses what cache Grant Goodeve was looking for and failed to find? The text they overlaid on the screen indicated that it was hidden by a Girl Scout Troop, so I was thinking "http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9ee061b0-ffae-433c-8dac-e08ae197c75e."

That's exactly the cache I thought it was, even before they posted the info about the girl scout troop. I saw the tip of the stairs off to his side, and it looked like the spot where Pepper and I spent about an hour...hour and a half....searching for that darned piece of tupperware. Too bad Goodeve's crew picked one that is in a place with terrible satellite coverage, and that has bad coordinates listed -- probably didn't know enough to look through the logs and find Uplink's coords instead.

I could tell that the footage of Seth and Adrian wasn't recent. Neat to know that was CameraThyme. I've never met her, but have heard about her. By the way, she changed her username (to Gandalf or something like that), so it could be that her logs show up under the other name now.

Cin

First I want to send out congrats to two Eastside Cachers MarcusArelius & Son for hitting his 400th find at FOF's 'Noogie' and MasterPuzzler for hitting his 500th at 'CACHE ME IF YOU CAN'.

Now about NW Backroads my husband and children were watching with me and when they showed the cache contents my husbands yells 'THERE'S MY HACKIESACK' I've been wondering where that one was.

He looks at me and Little Lila says Mom did it not me.

Now mind you it may not be the same one but I am guilty of taking his very old yellow and white Hackiesack and using it for a trade item.

Hea I bought him a brand new Gucci one before I traded that one. icon_biggrin.gif

Pepper

[This message was edited by SuperGenius on November 09, 2003 at 06:43 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

First I want to send out congrats to two Eastside Cachers _MarcusArelius_ & Son for hitting his 400th find at FOF's 'Noogie' and _MasterPuzzler_ for hitting his 500th at 'CACHE ME IF YOU CAN'.

Lucy and I also want to extend our congratulations to these two wonderful people. It wasn't that long ago that we remember when Moun10Bike reached 500.

Look where you can go!!!

FTF for posting here! Glad to see the forums back. Gotta admit had a bit of a withdrawal. Didnt' realize how much I use the forums daily to check on things.

YYYYYYAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!! Yes, I too have been having withdrawals. :D

I'm so happy we're back! Now we even have a fun new system to explore. :)

Cin