Eastside cachers

Pepper

Anyone get cool new geocaching equipment for Christmas?

Jeff and I bought ourselves a new camera, so my photos of caching and cachers should be much better now. :mad: Jeff got me some really cool caching-related presents: handwarmers, a lightweight bright flashlight, a good camping knife, socks. Oh, but the coolest thing was the laser-tape device. It works like measuring tape -- you point it at an object, and you can see how many feet away it is.

Pepper, I'm thinking this will help us make some of those "shall we bushwhack or not" decisions. Look, that trail over there is only 25 feet away....:D

Cin

Jeff and I bought ourselves a new camera, so my photos of caching and cachers should be much better now. :mad: Jeff got me some really cool caching-related presents: handwarmers, a lightweight bright flashlight, a good camping knife, socks. Oh, but the coolest thing was the laser-tape device. It works like measuring tape -- you point it at an object, and you can see how many feet away it is.

Pepper, I'm thinking this will help us make some of those "shall we bushwhack or not" decisions. Look, that trail over there is only 25 feet away....:D

Cin

Hey that's cool! I might have to buy one of those laser things. I think I saw one looking for gifts for relatives, but didn't really look at it.

Oh dear, it's my turn to start fretting over a FiendorFoe cache.  This one's at the top of my "nearest caches" page.  :D

1,2,3... ...GO!

I hope you're all having a wonderful holiday.  Jeff and I are cozy in front of the tree, wondering if we really want to out caching today....

Cin

(who's confident that she'll be finishing up the last FoF cache at the Holiday Party)

edited because I forgot the URL -- d'oh!

Yeah I started looking at the 123 last night...what?!!!! Gonna take some figuring anyrate, I'll probably finish off the other one iwth the big group Saturday

Just a little holiday gift for all the Eastside Geocachers! :mad:

Jeff and I bought ourselves a new camera, so my photos of caching and cachers should be much better now.  :mad:  Jeff got me some really cool caching-related presents:  handwarmers, a lightweight bright flashlight, a good camping knife, socks.  Oh, but the coolest thing was the laser-tape device.  It works like measuring tape -- you point it at an object, and you can see how many feet away it is.

Pepper, I'm thinking this will help us make some of those "shall we bushwhack or not" decisions.  Look, that trail over there is only 25 feet away....:D

Cin

Hey that's cool! I might have to buy one of those laser things. I think I saw one looking for gifts for relatives, but didn't really look at it.

Just be aware, these work best on surfaces that can provide some reflection. It might not work right against some trees because of the roughness of the bark. Smooth bark trees should work ok.

Jeff and I bought ourselves a new camera, so my photos of caching and cachers should be much better now.  :mad:  Jeff got me some really cool caching-related presents:  handwarmers, a lightweight bright flashlight, a good camping knife, socks.  Oh, but the coolest thing was the laser-tape device.  It works like measuring tape -- you point it at an object, and you can see how many feet away it is.

Pepper, I'm thinking this will help us make some of those "shall we bushwhack or not" decisions.  Look, that trail over there is only 25 feet away....:D

Cin

Just be aware, these work best on surfaces that can provide some reflection. It might not work right against some trees because of the roughness of the bark. Smooth bark trees should work ok.

I don't know if a laser tape is as powerfull as a laser range finder but I do have a laser rangefinder and it does reflect off conifer trees and branches.When I get out to 2oo yards it does need a harder surface or one with good reflective qualities. Mine has a range of about 350 yrds.

Pepper, I'm thinking this will help us make some of those "shall we bushwhack or not" decisions. Look, that trail over there is only 25 feet away....:mad:

Cin

Ah come on Cindy it's just 250ft over there!

Geocaching goodies sure I got one... no two.

Diamonds for my neck and my 1000th cache.

Big fun!

pc240012.jpg

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays all!!!

Pepper

Cool photo, Pepper! I like that laser tape measure idea. May have to look into it.

I got something that would, shall we say, really be a big help on night caching. O-O

:>)

Ah yes... the night scope I'll bet.

But Ironman has it right. The range finder is actually a brighter laser meant for reflecting off fur coats. It was probably high-end when he got it, but they have them reliably going out to about 1000 yards now. Pretty pricey jobbers.

The measuring tape is based on that, but it is a lower powered tool.

Hey Pepper, that is a cool photo! Nice.

Good morning all, I was just wondering how many folks are meeting up with the Caravan at the Wilburton park and ride (SE 8th and I-405).

I know MA's van is full and I'm pretty sure TL and Davyi are riding together I to will be there in the little red geo mobile around 5:15AMish.

I also wanted to say how much fun Team Super Genius had at the Holiday Party Saturday night.

See all of y'all soon!

Congrats also to all of our new Board Members on the WSGA.

Pepper

Edited by Team SuperGenius
Good morning all, I was just wondering how many folks are meeting up with the Caravan at the Wilburton park and ride (SE 8th and I-405).

I know MA's van is full and I'm pretty sure TL and Davyi are riding together I to will be there in the little red geo mobile around 5:15AMish.

I also wanted to say how much fun Team Super Genius had at the Holiday Party Saturday night.

See all of y'all soon!

Congrats also to all of our new Board Members on the WSGA.

Pepper

I will be there. I may decide to caravan rather than carpool down to Olympia, depending on how early folks are planning to leave the Red Robin party.

Got Coordinates? :D

Unless I win the lottery on Wednesday and can therefore afford a hotel stay in Olympia I will be there at the park and ride saturday morning... or is that still technically Friday night? :D:unsure:

I'll most likly be coming alone, I've been trying to convince my 13 year old to come with me but I don't think thats going to happen. I'll probably have room in the GeoRanger for one extra person and plenty of gear.

Bringing along:

1. Brand New 2,000,000 candle power BFL so I don't have to stop at dusk.

2. Brand New Metal Detector (I've never actually used on caching).

3. My Garmin V and Rino-120

4. Two extra FRS Radios.

5. A desire to break my one day personal best which was set at the Spokane CM.

6. A tall quadruple shot mocha without whipped cream

Edited by Right Wing Wacko

Just a little note to say that Lucy and I celebrated our second anniversary of geocaching today by doing two nearby caches.

For those of you that are graphically inclined, I have charted our personnal finds below. This not only represents our finds but also the growth of geocaching in general. Thanks to all for helping us along.

49882e9b-ea2f-4f56-8f86-d3f343be7a97.jpg

Jeff and I bought ourselves a new camera, so my photos of caching and cachers should be much better now.  :blink:  Jeff got me some really cool caching-related presents:  handwarmers, a lightweight bright flashlight, a good camping knife, socks.  Oh, but the coolest thing was the laser-tape device.  It works like measuring tape -- you point it at an object, and you can see how many feet away it is.

Pepper, I'm thinking this will help us make some of those "shall we bushwhack or not" decisions.  Look, that trail over there is only 25 feet away....;)

Cin

Oh yeah! :mad: PDA Claus brought me a Palm Zire 21, so I can now do paperless caching-it is SOOOO cool! Hey Cin, we should bring our laser range finder that we got for the most recent contest we did. It rocks! We'll be there with all our bells and whistles!

Edited by cacherunner
Oh the weather outside is frightful...but the fire insides delightful...if you have noplace to go...LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW!!!

I'm at 148th and 64th and the streets are white and it's snowing!

Yipee, Yahoo!!!

Snow day in Redmond.

Pepper

Just checked outside...we've a sprinkle. I don't want a lot of snow till after the cache machine though. Hard to get up our hill when snowy.

Well, we're back from our walk down to the lake -- we've shaken off the wet snow and are now pondering our hot cider. Two thoughts on this wonderful snowy night:

• there's something poetic about snow-covered geese asleep on a motionless lake
  • cars without good traction tires should not be out on wet and snowy roads

Cin

Just got back from taking my jeep on its first snow run (with me anyway). Handles sweet! ASB worked great and it pulled out of slides and spins sooooo easy.

You have a Sport Cherokee too? I've yet to test mine in the snow as I got it just over a year ago.

I have the '94 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4. I was very pleased with the way it handled in the snow. I really had to work to get it to start sliding and spin that's how well it controlled the snow. Coming out of it was just a relaxed exercise. I was able to show my daughter what to do and show what happens if you don't do it right with little fear of not being able to get out of the problem spin or slide. The ASB (ABS? I always think of it as anti-skid braking) worked like a champ. There were kids and a sheriff watching the entire time.