Enough freakin' snow already!!

Harrald

Out here in NEPA, its snowing, right now! Coming down like crazy. First we get that 1 footer, then it melts/rains, turns into BIG piles of ICE, solid ice banks everywhere. Then it snows again, then rains again, then gets FREEZING cold, now it is snowing yet again :lol:. I don't care though, I am caching this weekend, I won't let any precipitiation hold me hostige! (As long as its not 1 degree with a wind chill of -15 again... :P ) HEHE, anyway though, I am tired of the winter already, I was looking so forwrad to it because of the mild winter it started out to be, plus I was down in the south for a few years (I'm originally from South NJ), so I missed winter as I knew it, now I just want it to vanish, it was nice... for a little bit, now its time to go, hehe.

ITS SNOWING AGAIN! :D:);):):huh::wub::wub::D

Yup...they are calling for 3-5 here today, another 2-4 tonight, and another 1-2 tomorrow...Gotta love how we always seem to get a snowfall every year around St. Patty's day. :)

Heh, they are saying anywhere from 10 to 24 inches here! Depending on who you listen to for your weather anyway :D Allmost all of them are saying 1-2 inches an hour though... Which it looks like its just now starting to get to that point of 1+ inch an hour...

ITS SNOWING AGAIN! :D:);):):huh::wub::wub::D

Yup...they are calling for 3-5 here today, another 2-4 tonight, and another 1-2 tomorrow...Gotta love how we always seem to get a snowfall every year around St. Patty's day. :)

Heh, they are saying anywhere from 10 to 24 inches here! Depending on who you listen to for your weather anyway :D Allmost all of them are saying 1-2 inches an hour though... Which it looks like its just now starting to get to that point of 1+ inch an hour...

I'm in the NW part of the state, and work on the OH/PA border. It's snowing here, but we aren't supposed to get the brunt of it.

Snow caching just means special equipment. This is how we do it in upstate New York. We don't take pictures well but we still find caches.

We found our share of caches this winter. You gotta make the most of it.

What's worse than Winter? Mud Season!

08ed3f50-c0b1-4713-bccf-c71da942f40c.jpg

Edited by GPS Guy

Good grief...what's that white stuff outside my window this morning? :) (o.k., so its not much, but it is definitely there...) How about "Enough freakin' rain already!!" I solved a whole slew of puzzle caches during the rain yesterday and I'm itching to get out to and find them B)

Snowing like crazy now. Actually I prefer it. If this was all snow I would have spent the last 3 hours manually removing buckets of water from my sump pump well because the power was out.

We only got 7 inches of rain, no snow. Hasn't let up in 33 hours. Basement has some water. And I hear sirens every 10 minutes.

The Rockaway River seems to have crested about 5 PM. Five or six streets are closed. At least, I hope it's crested, or we're in deep trouble (?). Got one cache I need to check on after the waters recede. Only light flurries mixed with the rain today.

Laura, NOT fair! I only solved one of those puzzles! The math on the second one is frightening! Haven't checked out the third yet. Though that one looks the easiest??

The Rockaway River seems to have crested about 5 PM. Five or six streets are closed. At least, I hope it's crested, or we're in deep trouble (?). Got one cache I need to check on after the waters recede. Only light flurries mixed with the rain today.

Laura, NOT fair! I only solved one of those puzzles! The math on the second one is frightening! Haven't checked out the third yet. Though that one looks the easiest??

How do you know what puzzles I'm talking about :D:D Too bad I can't get up there due to all the flooding (well I COULD get up there, but decided it wasn't worth the aggravation). I see some other folks were out caching today though...guess I'm not as hard core as I thought I was :D

A wise man once said:

Enough freakin' snow already!!

So much for me going caching this weekend.

I wasn't to big (i.e. fat) I would look into buying snowshoes. I'm glad I took this past Weds. off so I could go out and play.

Thanks for allowing me to vent. I'm feeling much better now.

Winter caching is great! Just go after winter friendly caches, and enjoy being out there. We just attended a winter event in Long Lake, NY. The hosts put out about 29 new caches. Everyone was out there on foot, snowshoes, skis, and snowmobiles caching away. A great time all weekend. One of the cachers lost his 60csx on the trail. The rangers saw his note in the trail register, and went in with a metal detector and found it in 2 feet of snow.

Oh yeah. Tonight, Long Lake will go to 27 degrees below zero. Brrr.

Winter caching is great! Just go after winter friendly caches, and enjoy being out there. We just attended a winter event in Long Lake, NY. The hosts put out about 29 new caches. Everyone was out there on foot, snowshoes, skis, and snowmobiles caching away. A great time all weekend. One of the cachers lost his 60csx on the trail. The rangers saw his note in the trail register, and went in with a metal detector and found it in 2 feet of snow.

Oh yeah. Tonight, Long Lake will go to 27 degrees below zero. Brrr.

I was thinking of stopping for those Long Lake caches on the way back from Lake Placid. Then it snowed at least another 8 inches so I figured they would be buried and my boyfriend would be annoyed with the digging for caches in the snow :) I was kind of disappointed they didn't get the predicted 15 inches of snow though <_<

I miss Harrald (the OP). I wonder how he's doing.

I wasn't caching yet when he started this topic, but he seems like a neat guy from his profile and forum posts I read. His profile shows that he last logged onto GC.com only about a month ago, but of course no finds hides or forum posts since 2004. My guess is that this relates to the unfortunate tragedy of his teenage daughter (as noted in his profile) back then and he just keeps a very very low profile now. Actually I think the main reason he still signs on to GC.com is his General Grant virtual in upper Manhattan, maybe that's how he checks on posts, I had emailed him the answer when I found it back in Oct. 2006 but he never replied, presumably he only replies if your wrong and he needs to delete your log.

I understand and feel for him, I imagine I'd kind of "drop out" of things like this for awhile too in his shoes.........

Another foot plus of snow comming tonight.

Work has slowed my chaching down this winter not snow snow. Slap the shoes on the kids and we are off. My 4 year old can do at least a mile on snowshoes. If he can do it anybody can.

Tarbal

30406d83-873a-4c38-b805-9c6cacbb4779.jpg

Inresponse to a namby E Mail I got yesterday, whining about the weather , I sent this:

Whoooooop de doooooooo. I went to college in Marquette Michigan for 4 years. I suggest that you google Marquette Michigan if you want to talk snow. I spit on 8 inches of snow. That is just a dusting.

So Man up everybody.

That reminds me I better get to the super market for some toilet paper, bread, milk, eggs, and then I better get over to Blockbuster for 24 hours worth of videos and then I better................. Yay, a snow day, that way I won't feel guilty about taking a day off. What with the state of the economy.....work six days to earn 3 days pay.................

Now Let me get to my shopping list

Next Shopping List:

1 Case Oreos

2 Case Potato Chips, nachos, corn chips

Hot Chocolate

Cheese Wiz

Magazines --preferably trashy gossip sheets for the wife.

Charles Bronson film fest DVDs

Snow shovel for Junior

Gas for Snow Blower

Forget it, just catch the last flight to Tampa this afternoon fly back in on Tuesday.

MountainRacer,

I drive a school bus for a living. There is no way that they're going to postpone, let alone cancel, school up here tomorrow; even with 8 inches of snow. The last time we had that much snow we had school as normal and we even had a bus get stuck going up a hill and when the snow plow came to get them out the plow couldn't make it up the hill either. I just went around a different way. *grin*

MountainRacer,

I drive a school bus for a living. There is no way that they're going to postpone, let alone cancel, school up here tomorrow; even with 8 inches of snow. The last time we had that much snow we had school as normal and we even had a bus get stuck going up a hill and when the snow plow came to get them out the plow couldn't make it up the hill either. I just went around a different way. *grin*

Well, you're from NH, where people know what real snow is. Around here, six inches falling in a stiff breeze at morning bus time qualifies as a school-canceling blizzard. Not that I mind!

MountainRacer,

Well, you're from NH, where people know what real snow is. Around here, six inches falling in a stiff breeze at morning bus time qualifies as a school-canceling blizzard. Not that I mind!

There is a major difference how snow affects a major metropolitan area vs. a rural or semi rural area. 8 inches of snow at rush hour can paralyze this area whereas it's barely a dusting in VT, NH, etc.

Well, they've changed the snow fall amount again...2-4 inches. Bah!! That's pathetic.

As for rural vs urban...there is a HUGE difference. Up here they just plow all the snow off the road and into the trees. When I lived in bigger cities they actually had to truck the snow out of town. When I lived in the Mountains of Southern California they just plowed the snow off the side of the mountain.

Good luck everyone that's getting some real snow.