Enough freakin' snow already!!

Harrald

So much for me going caching this weekend.

I wasn't to big (i.e. fat) I would look into buying snowshoes. I'm glad I took this past Weds. off so I could go out and play.

Thanks for allowing me to vent. I'm feeling much better now.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

Hey don't let being heavy stop you. I'm close to 340 and I have a good pair of snow shoes. They are military. Magnesium frames with aircraft aluminum wire mesh and Nylon straps. I got mine from sportsmans guide about 10 years ago for around $20. They hold me great. It is a good workout too. Also be sure to have a good ski pole, you'll need it to get up with if you fall. Make sure it has a large cup or what ever you call the thing on close to the end. Some are small.

Hate it when it snows, or rains, or when it's too hot ... don't like caching when it's windy either. I'm not a big fan of swamps or long hikes and especially hikes that require any type of incline grade.

Duh! Seriously, the only problem I have with the snow is; it's harder to sneak at for a long lunch at work and snag a cache, I had big plans for slacking off on Friday [icon_wink.gif]

The snow is great! Ya can't ski on rocks! Though it was a bit annoying this morning when it took me 2 hours to make it to work, only to find the building was closed because of the weather. What whimps down in central NJ!

Anyway, I'm 230 lbs and my Atlas's float me right across the top of the snow. They are rated to 250 lbs, so I can keep eating those White Castles for a while before I have to get another pair.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty O Junk:

Snow caching just means special equipment. This is how we do it in upstate New York. We don't take pictures well but we still find caches.

And that is precisely the problem with "Snow caching." Any expectation of a hunt is limited to the first to dig it out ... all anyone else has to do is follow the trail. I find it most unrewarding.

But I suppose there is no better way to at least temporarily compromise a cache.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

And that is precisely the problem with "Snow caching." Any expectation of a hunt is limited to the first to dig it out ... all anyone else has to do is follow the trail. I find it most unrewarding.

I did a lot of digging but didn't dig anything out. I spent a full 2 hours looking for Brian's Oh Teepee cache yesterday ( I'm sooo depressed I haven't logged yet as a DNF). So if you go to get that one DON'T look where there are a million footprints.

quote:

If you want to experience the full hunt then don't hunt anything that has been found since the last snow. This one in the picture was placed in December and had one no find log but was never found.

quote:
But I suppose there is no better way to at least temporarily compromise a cache.

Even though snow caching could compromise a cache keep in mind that here in the Adirondacks we are in a very rural area, much different from anything New Jersey has to offer. I know, I know, there are rural areas in New Jersey but the population we have wandering around in the woods here is much different than you have. In the winter you don't find tourists and teenagers in the woods, basically just hunters and trappers. Snowmobiling has brought a lot of people out of the woodwork during the winter but much of the Adirondacks is closed to snowmobiling (motorized vehicles), including where I was yesterday.

If anyone doesn't want their cache found on snow then they should disable it until the snow is gone.

quote:

If you want to experience the full hunt then don't hunt anything that has been found since the last snow.

I'm sure you understand my comments were about snow caching in general and not about your particular hunt. Yes, it is obvious that the first person to hunt a cache after a snowfall would enjoy pristine conditions ... but not anyone who followed. (That's also what I stated in my original post.)

quote:

In the winter you don't find tourists and teenagers in the woods, basically just hunters and trappers. Snowmobiling has brought a lot of people out of the woodwork during the winter ...

Well, I would think a trail through the snow that leads hunters, trappers, tourists, teenagers or geocachers directly to the cache is not a desirable thing. That's my opinion; I'm sure others are thankful for such a trail.

I've read many a log of accidental finds by folk like hunters or trappers (or tourists or teenagers.) To me, a compromised cache is a cache expected to be plundered.

quote:
I did a lot of digging but didn't dig anything out. I spent a full 2 hours looking for Brian's Oh Teepee cache yesterday ( I'm sooo depressed I haven't logged yet as a DNF). So if you go to get that one DON'T look where there are a million footprints.

I feel your pain. If you read my log (or view the pics) for Oh Teepee you may be reminded of your visit.

Cache hunting was a bust today (would have needed radar to locate anything under the snow) but I did get a chance to hide a new cache.

Headed out with snowshoes (handy for traversing partially frozen swamps), found my GPSr (lost yesterday while scouting the site) and hid the cache.

With more snow expected tonight - I figured any trace of my tracks from hiding the cache will be gone by tomorrow!

Plus, playing in the snow is great! Spent most of the day sledding. For anyone heading toward "Once Mighty" with kids, bring sleds and snowboards - the location's a very popular sledding locale.

Well I am going to agree with Orange's statement completely, regarding being turned off by snow caching. Which may explain my most recent inactivity both on the forums and caching.

This is a shame. Hart's been hiding caches around Morristown, and I'm aching to get there, but each time I get set to go... Argh.

But I did find something to keep me occupied during the times where I just don't want to go out. This is an online game which existed long before UO or EverQuest (1996 was the commericial release). It disappeared for a few years, until a 3rd party purchased the assets. I played it for two years, and when I found out it was back...

----------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him.

quote:
Originally posted by azog:

This is a shame. Hart's been hiding caches around Morristown, and I'm aching to get there, but each time I get set to go... Argh.

So there's some snow on the ground. Just go and find them anyway. I did a whole bunch over the weekend. Bring your gloves. Pat down the snow until you can see the edges of the cache.

Interestingly enough, a majority of the caches I found this weekend, whether by design or by luck, were hidden in such a way that they weren't concealed by snow.

I'm a newbie at Geocaching , but so far, all but 2 of my finds have been in the snow. I try to go out while it's snowing to look for them, or sometimes the day before an expected snowfall.

That way, the new snow covers up my tracks. icon_wink.gif

In my opinion snow is just another part of the game, and not something to stop me from going.

If you're sitting at home watching TV when it snows ... you are missing some beautiful scenery.

So much for not caching this weekend. The Bardmin and I started by logging a No Find on Dodgers Cauldrons Of Courage cache. This was after a 3.25 mile round trip hike in 6 inches of fresh powder. Then we celebrated the one year anniversary of our first find by replacing the container on the

Buttermilk cache. The cache owner seems to be in the reserves so he may be gone for a while.

I guess snow doesn't matter.

SnowShoes??? We didn't need no stinkin' SnowShoes

icon_biggrin.gif

===================================

quote:
Originally posted by Harrald:

So much for not caching this weekend. The Bardmin and I started by logging a No Find on Dodgers http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=52893 cache. This was after a 3.25 mile round trip hike in 6 inches of fresh powder. I guess snow doesn't matter.

Yep! My cache is not too compatible with snow .... especially if you choose .....poorly. icon_wink.gif

Best to wait for the snow to melt...which looks as if it may be a while from now ... icon_frown.gif

Although I feel it is in bad taste to bump ones own thread. I feel I must here.

MORE SNOW ON THE WAY!!!

Have you ever seen a 6'4", 315 pound, bearded man cry? Well stay tuned.

We had 4 inches today in Southern Maryland and more on the way. They had school and let out at 8:15 in the morning which means they generally walk to the door and left and one happened to find my car with their car and slammed into my front end sliding through an intersection. I am starting to dream of spring days during these winter daze. We planted caches on Saturday for the Maryland Geocaching Society February Meeting in a thunderstorm and this was a week after 14 inches of snow. When will it end........... Your about to see a man a foot shorter cry with you! icon_biggrin.gif

Wags, Russ & Erin

quote:
Originally posted by StayFloopy:

But you can still find caches! Even with the two feet of snow, there was caching activity last weekend. A bit subdued but a few cachers still went out and slogged away at it.

Yes, so I did more virtual caches than physical caches last weekend. But I had to shovel snow/ice off a virtual cache! icon_smile.gif

Yeah, I thought I'd take the "easy" way out and log some virtuals the other week too. Still ended up soaked from the knees down walking to a virutal site, and having to clear snow from several markers to find the answers I needed....and that was AFTER spending time trying to find an open parking space between the 4 foot high snow piles....

I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should happen to get back before I return, please ask me to wait.

quote:
Originally posted by Harrald:

Although I feel it is in bad taste to bump ones own thread. I feel I must here.

MORE SNOW ON THE WAY!!!

Have you ever seen a 6'4", 315 pound, bearded man cry? Well stay tuned.

Couldn't stand one more flake, so decided to go visit a mouse (and some geocaches) in sunny 80 degree Orlando, FL!

Just got home tonite (miss me?), and trust me, seeing a 5'11 220 pound man crying as he got off the plane wasn't pretty, either.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I'm a rookie and struck out on my first two caches. Of course I blame it on the snow icon_wink.gif

There is a great idea (IMHO) in the Ham and GPS forum about getting a FRS radio to beep when it hears a transmission and then you could home in on it audibly.

Would have been of great help on my second strike out, as I'm pretty sure I was in the right place, and moved what seemed like a shi... a lot of snow to no avail... the ski in to the area was great though and it was great to get outside!

Y'all need to bump this topic to the forefront in August, when the sweat is dripping into your eyes, when you've just drained two liters of water in a single gulp and are still parched, and when the mosquito bites are sucking as much blood from your veins as the the briars are clawing from your dehydrated flesh. Isn't this a grand game!

"All of us are standing in the mud, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

Argh! I grabbed my snowshoes to head over to Hacklebarney this morning and discovered when I was strapping them on that sometime during their last use here I'd bent the dadgum things (bent the claw beds on the bottom of one of the shoes).

Downside to being in the over 200 (lbs.) club - I think during one of the "busting through the ice" episodes, I'd flipped the snowshoe and managed to twist the base and step on it again.

I've got a pair of the old MSR plastics and really like them (they were certainly easy enough to repair by removing the pins holding the claws in and straightening out the claw beds in the vise) but I'm a little bummed they bent in the first place.

Just a suggestion to anyone of similar size looking into snowshoes - buy rugged! icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Rich in NEPA:

quote:
Originally posted by Metaphor:

Y'all need to bump this topic to the forefront in August, when the sweat is dripping into your eyes ...

All I can say is: _cold hurts; sweating doesn't!_ icon_cool.gif Give me hot and dry any day.

Cheers ...

_~Rich in NEPA~_

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/1132_1200.jpg

__=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===__

Ummm....let's see, heat exhaustion....heat stroke...i'd say one's just as dangerous as the other....give me luke warm icon_smile.gif

I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should happen to get back before I return, please ask me to wait.

I had to go down a ways to find this thread, I thought we had already established that we've had more than enough snow for the season. I guess not, though because IT'S SNOWING AGAIN!!!! here in central Pennsylvania....oh well, I'm _still_ going to go caching today. Rain didn't stop me yesterday, snow won't today.

Just because you're paranoid DOESN'T mean they're not ALL out to get you.

Putting the finishing touches on my cache last night I heard the weather report and thought 'I really need to go out there tonight and set this!' and yet I denied that we'd really get anything like a REAL snowfall. So I went to bed.

Woke up this morning to a winter wonderland.

Except it's NOT winter and all I'm wondering is when the #*^$& snow is going to GO AWAY!!!

X is for X, and X marks the spot, On the rug in the parlor, The sand in the lot, Where once you were standing, And now you are not.

So, I'm caching in Syracuse yesterday and there's close to 6 inches of snow in some places. It's supposed to be freaking spring already. What's worse, there's 6 inches of mud lurking beneath the snow. Enough already. I suspect geocaching is going to explode this summer. There might even have to be restrictions.

It's snowing heavily as I type this. About 1/2 inch on the ground. We also hit some snow when we were accompanying Etoast66 during his quest for #100 at the NY/NJ Multi State Multi Cache on Sunday.

"You can only protect your liberties in this world, by protecting the other man's freedom. "You can only be free if I am" -Clarence Darrow

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on April 01, 2003 at 04:55 PM.]