Who is bidding for GeoWoodstock in the future?

After 4 years east of the Mississippi, it's time it came out West again. We are starting to feel oppressed.

Only three...

GeoWoodstock XI - May 25, 2013, Lakeland, Florida

GeoWoodstock X - May 26, 2012, Sellersburg, Indiana

GeoWoodstock IX - July 2, 2011, Warren, Pennsylvania

GeoWoodstock XII will be on May 24 in St. Charles...west of the Mississippi. :)

It's really pretty simple. If you want to host a future Geowoodstock event in your community get a host committee together, put a proposal together, and send it to JoGPS. He's the grand-daddy of Geowoodstock and will share the proposals for future locations with a committee made up of previous hosts and the next location will be selected.

After 4 years east of the Mississippi, it's time it came out West again. We are starting to feel oppressed.

Well, technically St. Charles, MO is west of the Mississippi.

By what? A couple of miles? Give me a break. The last 4 GWs have been back East and those of us in the West are tired of it.

When was the last time a Geocaching Block Party was east of the Mississippi?

I agree. Next year it should be in Hawaii.

Heck, going that far, might as well make it Guam, and almost all attendees can get a new souvenir for going :P

Except that there isn't a souvenir for Guam but I suspect there will be a Geowoodstock souvenir no matter where it's located. New Zealand, however, does have a souvenir...

By what? A couple of miles? Give me a break. The last 4 GWs have been back East and those of us in the West are tired of it.

Has a group from west of the Mississippi submitted a proposal? It's not the GWS folks you need tobe irked with..it's the cachers who aren't submitting proposals.

I see the date has changed a few times. May mostly but July a few years pack in the PA event. I guess to avoid competing with other large events, but I don't know if I'd want N.O. in July. Well, it would be awesome for storms, but not so much for hunting caches with 1000s of others.

I support support the desert SW idea. Arizona, New Mexico, it doesn't matter, but that would be very cool. May would be better for that territory, as again, July brings Monsoon season (though I would very much enjoy caching in the day and then heading to the mountains for evening storms).

There seems to be a bit of support (asking this in other areas) for Georgia. I could see that too. But as others mentioned...kinda a "yet another east coast event". Reality of course is that denser populations tend to mean more volunteers and more attendee potential. That said, even a few can organize and pull off a awesome event.

Edited by TheWeatherWarrior

1. What does that have to do with the conversation? I'm sorry you have such anger at GS not being based in you hometown. seeing how you bring this up so often.

2. When was the last time you saw the Block Party move? GeoWoodstock hasn't been in the same place twice in a row - apples and oranges.

Actually over 20 miles.

You can't meet people halfway? As far as it goes, St. Charles is an awesome location. Pretty much right in the middle for everyone.

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

So quitcherbitchin, get a committee together to host it, and invite the world to fizzyland for geowoodstock X??. Locations aren't simply chosen at random, someone has to want to host it and submit a proposal to the committee. We want it to move around the country and give everyone a chance to experience this great event. But we can only vote on the locations that submit proposals.

I see the date has changed a few times. May mostly but July a few years pack in the PA event.

The first 2 were held during July 4th weekend. NEFGA pointed out that it's can be ridiculously hot at that time in Jacksonville FL so it was moved to Memorial Day weekend where it stayed for several years. It was moved back to July 4th for #8 in Seattle as there is still a good chance for the Iron Horse trail where the APE is located to be under snow in late May. It remained in July for #9 as there was a better chance for good weather in July in NW PA. The event moved back to Memorial Day for #10 in Sellersville IN across the river from the site of #1 in Louisville and took place during an unseasonably hot weekend. We stuck with Memorial Day for #11 in FL and this year in St Charles, and it's likely to stay on Memorial Day weekend unless another far north host location is selected. Hope that clears the date issue up.

Edited by wimseyguy

wimsey, you coming to Anchorage for Geowoodstock XXVIII? (When we'll perhaps have more than 300 active cachers in the whole state) :laughing:

Perhaps we'll just start hosting the Alaskan version of Geowoodstock--Geotwigwater. A less robust version of wood and stock. Really just more of a reason to stay up with the sun until 1am, and get back up with the sun at 4am. B)

1. What does that have to do with the conversation? I'm sorry you have such anger at GS not being based in you hometown. seeing how you bring this up so often.

I'm not angry, and have never asked for the block party to be held in my home town. That the geocaching block party is always in Seattle is a statement of fact, nothing more.

2. When was the last time you saw the Block Party move? GeoWoodstock hasn't been in the same place twice in a row - apples and oranges.

No, it's not apples and oranges. Both are large annual events. It seems to me that because one of them always takes place in the Pacific Northwest that the other should be elsewhere.

No, it's not apples and oranges. Both are large annual events. It seems to me that because one of them always takes place in the Pacific Northwest that the other should be elsewhere.

When fizzymagic said he wanted it out west the PNW did not come to mind, especially since he is from the San Francisco bay area. I merely assumed he was saying it should be somewhere west of the continental divide.

Since the Block party is a GS event I guess they get to call the shots where it is held, while GeoWoodstock is not a GS event then GS does not get to pick the venue.

When fizzymagic said he wanted it out west the PNW did not come to mind, especially since he is from the San Francisco bay area. I merely assumed he was saying it should be somewhere west of the continental divide.

I know the general area where he lives. I probably lived within 10 miles of him before I moved to NY. My comment was mostly a friendly poke at his "those of us in the West are tired of it". He didn't seem to be bothered by my response but it seems that someone from the PNW did.

Since the Block party is a GS event I guess they get to call the shots where it is held, while GeoWoodstock is not a GS event then GS does not get to pick the venue.

I really don't care GeoWoodstock takes place (though I still have a preference for Hawaii) and am just glad that it moves around, giving most of the people in the U.S. the opportunity to attend one.

wimsey, you coming to Anchorage for Geowoodstock XXVIII? (When we'll perhaps have more than 300 active cachers in the whole state) :laughing:

Perhaps we'll just start hosting the Alaskan version of Geowoodstock--Geotwigwater. A less robust version of wood and stock. Really just more of a reason to stay up with the sun until 1am, and get back up with the sun at 4am. B)

I was just there in 2012; took a cruise after the Block Party. But we were already planning our return visit on the flight home.

But we can only vote on the locations that submit proposals.

Wimsey, as a refresher, can you post the requirements which must be met to be considered for the GW voting pool?

Riff, I'll assuming you are asking for the benefit of anyone else reading along since we were just in your backyard last summer.

In general the host committee needs to be able to produce an extremely large and multi faceted event, secure a venue that can handle several thousand cachers, work with their local CVB/tourism boards, and lastly attend at least one previous GW.

Anyone who is truly interested in the specific requirements should contact JoGPS. It's better this way so that the committee is aware of who is really working on a proposal.

My comment was mostly a friendly poke at his "those of us in the West are tired of it". He didn't seem to be bothered by my response but it seems that someone from the PNW did.

It's just the number of times over the years you've use that "poke" - most of the time bashing GS. Even if I didn't live this close to HQ, it would bother me - and why it appears you are angry about it. Maybe it's not anger, but it obviously engenders some strong emotion in you, as you keep bringing it up.

My comment was mostly a friendly poke at his "those of us in the West are tired of it". He didn't seem to be bothered by my response but it seems that someone from the PNW did.

It's just the number of times over the years you've use that "poke" - most of the time bashing GS. Even if I didn't live this close to HQ, it would bother me - and why it appears you are angry about it. Maybe it's not anger, but it obviously engenders some strong emotion in you, as you keep bringing it up.

+1 I've noticed it too.

The fact is, Groundspeak hosts the Block Party right outside their offices. It's never gonna move, esp. now that there are now several events across three days, all tied to the Pacific Northwest - Block Party at GS headquarters (which includes a caching tour of Fremont and a film festival), the Ape tunnel event near the old Ape cache, visits to the Original Stash Plaque and oldest caches in WA and OR. None of those are very movable.

GeoWoodstock is not tied to specific local geo-history and is intended to move around the country, so yeah, it is apples and oranges. Different types of events, even get different icons.

Edited by hydnsek

+1 I've noticed it too.

The fact is, Groundspeak hosts the Block Party right outside their offices. It's never gonna move, esp. now that there are now several events across three days, all tied to the Pacific Northwest - Block Party at GS headquarters (which includes a caching tour of Fremont and a film festival), the Ape tunnel event near the old Ape cache, visits to the Original Stash Plaque and oldest caches in WA and OR. None of those are very movable.

GeoWoodstock is not tied to specific local geo-history and is intended to move around the country, so yeah, it is apples and oranges. Different types of events, even get different icons.

But couldn't GS host a Block Party elsewhere?

It would be nice for other areas of the country to be able to snag a Block Party icon without having to travel cross country.

+1 I've noticed it too.

But couldn't GS host a Block Party elsewhere?

It would be nice for other areas of the country to be able to snag a Block Party icon without having to travel cross country.

Or having to travel from another continent.

I don't bring up the issue that the Geocaching Block party is a Groundspeak sponsored event (which means a portion of my PM fees pay for it) favors those that live in the PNW based on any emotional attachment. I bring it up because it's true.

It all boils down to this, folks...

If you want GeoWoodstock to come to your area, have your local geocaching group put in a bid for it! Those on the west coast...you want it? Bid for it! Eastern people...you want it? Bid for it! Midwesterners that want to keep it here? Bid on it!

Don't just sit there and complain that GeoWoodstock is not where you'd like it to be. It just won't magically appear just because you wish it so.

If you want GeoWoodstock to come to your area, have your local geocaching group put in a bid for it! Those on the west coast...you want it? Bid for it! Eastern people...you want it? Bid for it! Midwesterners that want to keep it here? Bid on it!

Don't just sit there and complain that GeoWoodstock is not where you'd like it to be. It just won't magically appear just because you wish it so.

And it won't necessarily get to where you want it, even if you submit a proposal.

And it won't necessarily get to where you want it, even if you submit a proposal.

Very true. However, even if somewhere else gets picked after you submit, you still had the chance. Sitting on the sidelines, complaining about the location and submitting nothing ensures a zero chance.

The event can only be in one place per year. One way to land GeoWoodstock in 2018 is to start submitting proposals for 2016 and 2017. I was part of a group that submitted a proposal for Northwest PA years ago. It was not the winning proposal, and I was sad. But, that effort planted a seed which eventually turned into the successful proposal for GeoWoodstock IX, held in Warren, PA, July 2011. I wasn't part of the organizing group, but some of the same people who were part of earlier efforts also helped put on a very successful GW IX.

I don't care where it is, I just can't wait until my personal situation changes so I can start going again.

California, Tennessee, Washington, Indiana -- all have been fun, whether they were driving distance or I had to fly. (Actually, I drove to three of them so "driving distance" has a different meaning for me.)

Had great plans for St. Charles but it isn't going to happen for me.

Hopefully I get to go to one in the far NE one day... itching for a reason to visit Maine or New Hampshire...

Edited by DanOCan

I cant say which caching group did a bidding, but someone told me something. I wont be surprise if Geowoodstock will be there. Sometime it paid to know people. I think this person say more than he/she should had. So far, I dont know if they won the bidding.

No, its not on the west coast and far way from where I am at.