Getting stuck caching?

Basilisk

Looking to hear any stories about getting stuck (vechile wise) while out caching.

Personally this past weekend I came very, very close to being stuck in the desert. I drive a 2WD tacoma prerunner truck which can has the clearance of a 4x4 but lacks the extra power in the front. (Locking rear diff helps, but most of the time on a steep hill I just get a running start!) So I made it out to the spot that I parked, hiked to the cache, and came back. You can see for miles here and I decided to continue forward rather than go back along the road I came in on. I knew on the way out what direction the town was, so there was no question of where I was.

I'm crusing along and the dirt road I choose narrows into a wash. I figure that this will probably get me nowhere but continue on as it seems well travelled. Well, I wasn't paying enough attention and realized too late that the small rock grouping I was going down was waaaaay too high for my truck. Before I knew it my front bumper was almost in the sand and my rear tires were barely gripping the rock.

My heart started racing as the tires couldn't get grip. Here I am in the desert (Only a few mile hike out though) and I'm going to get stuck. I wasn't worried about walking out, it was having to get a tow! Luckily I got traction and crawled out as my differential and other things I didn't want to think about at the moment scraped and banged the rocks.

I thought I was out when 100 feet ahead was another drop. I couldn't believe it. There was no way to go back because I would never get back over the rocks behind me. I had to go forward. Well, the truck ended up with the rear tires in the air with the trailer hitch on the rock ledge holding the rear wheels up. Just another 2 inches of clearence and I would have made it. The front bumper was in the sand pretty good. I put it in neutral, got out, and proceeded to push and push until it came off the rock and the rear wheels touched the groud. After some more scraping I was free.

200 feet later the wash turned into a dirt road and 3 guys were standing around their truck just plinking. They looked at me and I gave a nod as I drove by. I had accidentlay honked my horn a few times as I was being bounced around... They probably wondered how the hell I made it through there in my stock tacoma and why I was honking the horn!

Needless to say this weekend I will be taking a different route...

Well, my story isn't too wild, but I was a little scared.

I was caching in an area that took my and my trusty Dodge Caravan to a dead end street. Being the respectful driver I decided to pull off the road onto the "soft" shoulder. No sooner had I pulled over when my front passenger wheel got stuck in the muck. No problem, I'll just put it into reverse and back out..... hit the gas slowly, and realized that my undercarriage is now sitting on the edge of the pavement, with the front-wheel drive just spinning..... needless to say, it took me 1/2 hour of rocking the vehicle, turning the front wheel this way and that, pefore I got it out of there..... got the cache, and the mud.

--------------------------------------------------

Black holes are where God divided by zero.

I headed down a road and before I knew it I was in sand up to my hub caps. It was a rental car and after driving a 4 wheel drive for the past 3 years, I kind of forgot that they could not go off road. I had two choices, leave the car there or call for a tow truck. The tow truck company sent out a Jeep. I really thought that was funny. They sent out their Jeep, because they did not want their tow truck to get stuck in the sand. Later I found out that I was stuck in an old dried up river bottom. That's what happens when you geocache without a map.

HappyFrog

At the end of last year, I bought an SUV with four-wheel drive so I could go caching anywhere, anytime. So, when the Northeast was hit with a blizzard on President's Day weekend in February, I decided to prove a point, and charted a day of caching that involved finding EVERY cache in Mercer County, PA, a rural area north of Pittsburgh.

On my way to the fourth cache of the day, the map showed a secondary road that ended just a few hundred feet from the cache. I found the road, which was lined with farmland on both sides. Pavement turned to dirt, and dirt turned to snow-covered dirt. After the last farmhouse, the maintained road ended and all that was ahead were the tracks of a tractor. "No problem," I thought, "I have four wheel drive. And the cache is just a quarter mile from here."

4WD does NOTHING to help you with ice, and that was what lay underneath the snow once I hit the un-maintained portion of the road. Within 50 feet, I began sliding uncontrollably to the right. Off the road. Into the ditch. I look out the passenger side window and see nothing but snowbank. Low-range 4WD and rocking back and forth did not budge me an inch. The car's tilted at a 30 degree angle.

So I get out of the car, and I realize I'm 5 miles from the nearest town, 2 miles from a real highway, and stuck in a snowbank during a blizzard with no cell phone. Time to visit one of those farmhouses I saw. The first door I knocked at was answered by a farmer, about my age, wearing his long johns. I asked if I could use his phone to call AAA for a tow truck. He says, "nawwww, I'll get you out. I had to be minding the cows anyhow." He gets dressed, gets his tractor out of the barn and attaches a tow bar and chains. It took ten minutes even with that rig to get me out, but he did, with not a scratch on my new yuppie SUV.

I offer the farmer $20 for saving me the cost of a tow. He says "naw, like I said, the cows will thank ya, I was late getting them fed on account of all the snow." He goes on to ask, "what are you doing way back here on a day like this?"

Knowing that the geocache, one of the five oldest in the state, is probably hidden clandestinely on his land, I decide not to tell the farmer about GPS satellites and geocaching. He seemed like the type who would find a weather radio to be high-tech. Instead, I answered: "I'm a dumb city boy from Pittsburgh, and I'm just driving around, inventing new and different ways to be stupid."

I drove off, reapproached the cache from a different direction, and found it, along with EVERY other cache in Mercer County.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

I've been stuck 3 or 4 different times in the Bulldog Canyon area about 8 miles north of my house.

One time was when I was rounding a corner in my Nissan 4x2 pickup on top of an 18" deep crushed granite bank. A couple people on horses were rounding the inside of the bank, so I went high to avoid them (only at about 10mph). Hitting the brakes to let them go by, I buried the right tire. After they were out of the area, I spent the next 20 minutes rocking/digging to get back out.

Another time was when I parked to walk the last .25 to a cache I'm helping maintain. A passenger car was there (another cacher in the area), so I parked a little different than I usually do. This affected my turn radius, allowing my rear bumper to high-center on a clay-based berm that was rock solid. No shovel, so I tried to setup rock for traction under my one free tire. Um, that didn't work. Not having limited-slip diff., that tire just spun, and I was stuck waiting for someone to come out or walking to the mainline for help. About 15 minutes later, a Jeep rounds the corner and hooks me up with a tow-strap. A few pulls, and my also stuck LF tire pulls around and I'm clear.

Since then, whenever I go out to maintain THAT and putz around the area, I take a shovel at the very least.

Brian

Team A.I.

It's not every day you can post a not found for an event cache - especially one you helped set up! Here's what happened:

I took some vacation time at work to get off early and we loaded up the truck. Driving on I-25 the truck suddenly lost power going up the La Bajada grade. I pulled over, thinking the transmission went out but the smoke was coming from the rear end. Looks like the differential seal was faulty and lost all of its oil.

I had it towed to the rest stop 2 miles up the road. We waited for a friend of ours to pick us up, then planned to rent a trailer and tow the truck home. U-haul didn't have a trailer big enough, so I upgraded my AAA membership to plus and had them tow it 40 miles to my mechanic's shop.

It ended up costing almost $1600 to replace the rear end. The new one has posi-traction!

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

not stuck as such... but we are cursed at events...

Event 1... Starter Motor dead... luckily enough cachers around to bump start us

Event 2... Lost keys to car in woods whilst checking our well hidden cache. After nearly two hours of searching the key is found, and now we have cut a trail right to our cache. Still, only one team managed to find it despite the trail we created going right to it!

Event 3 planned for October... will keep you posted!

Some people are born great, some achieve greatness, and some just grate

quote:
Originally posted by HappyFrog:

I headed down a road and before I knew it I was in sand up to my hub caps. It was a rental car and after driving a 4 wheel drive for the past 3 years, I kind of forgot that they could not go off road.

What's the difference between a rental car and a 4 wheel drive?

There are some places you won't take a 4 wheel drive.

A co-worker told me this one and I was reminded of it when I was driving a rental car through the Apache trail outside of Phoenix.

--

stream of did I lock the front door? consciousness

We weren't caching at the time ... BUT ...

Driving a new route through Westchester County (NY) in the winter, we found an interesting looking road on the map that was "a short cut" ... only to discover a sign a short way in that said it wasn't maintained through the winter months, and this was soon after a pretty hefty snowfall.

Well, we took the road anyway ... how hard can a mile of snow be?

On an unmaintained road.

Over a hill.

In a Honda Civic.

It was the 20' long patches of solid ice on the hills (downhill each time, thankfully) that were the worst, but we made it through and gave a wave to the 4x4s that were waiting at the other end.

I don't think I'd want to do it again.

Got stuck just 2 days ago...

While out one afternoon caching and looking for a few benchmarks, I went for this mark, which happened to be in the right-of-way in front of a house. Missed the mark, so I turned around in somebody's driveway- figured I'd be out of there in under 30 seconds. Only problem was that it had rained recently, and the edge of the driveway gave way underneath my tire, causing me to slide sideways until the frame of the car rested on the gravel leaving 3 of 4 wheels off the ground... Even worse, the car was left at an angle that I was sure could cause it to flip over any second (and I haven't even owned it for 2 months!) Eventually, one of the neighbors brought a chain and used his tractor to pull me out, then showed me where the benchmark was.

...Not all who wander are lost... unless the batteries in their GPS die, their maps get ruined by rainwater when their pack leaks, and they find themselves in a laurel thicket. Then, they are probably lost.

-DavidMac; (formerly Someonenameddave)

Ok, I've now been stuck twice. Once while caching recently, and another when I went to pick up my wife from work before a day of caching.

The day we picked her up, I was driving up the small winding mountain road to her work when an ambulance came down the other way. I pulled over to let the ambulance by, and once it had passed, I discovered the front passenger tire was slipping so bad that no amount of rocking was going to fix the problem. Nobody could push the car either way either. Eventually someone drove by with a truck and chains and towed me out of the mud--downhill! I felt like I was rolling towards him and couldn't stop, so he ended up dragging my car across the road with my brakes on. He was a bit upset about that--I didn't realize he planned to pull me that far and I sure didn't want to hit his truck!

Another time, we were at a cache and when going to the wrong parking area, I destroyed a new tire on a broken fence post I didn't see. I managed to change that tire on the dirt 'road' there.

The other day we had our second major car problem at a cache. We have found 395 caches, and only twice have we had trouble like this at a cache area. Both caches were hidden by the same person and are the only two caches they have hidden in WV. Bad enough seeing someone have trouble at one of your caches, but twice??? We took the wrong dirt road first and ended up climbing well above the cache area. Then we went back and took the right road (a little after dark by now.) We've driven the car on much worse roads, but something on the road hit the underside just right--we left a couple puddles of oil in the road. We turned the car off when the oil light went on--about 100 feet from the cache. We walked from this 'ghost town' to the nearest home which was fortunately only .3 miles away. They turned out to be very friendly and helpful and when AAA couldn't get us a tow until the following day, they called someone that got us out much quicker.

The damage turned out to be a punctured oil filter. Amazing how much trouble you can get in with an oil filter!

We didn't get a chance to grab the cache--it was all tall weeds, etc, and they made it very clear that there are a lot of poisonous snakes in the area. We'll be back when they aren't!

Having a lifted, highly modified Jeep (82 CJ7) and belonging to a 4x4 club, I've had my fair share of stucks. Some of these have happened miles out with no way to get any kind of tow truck or even another, larger vehicle out there to rescue me. I've got 3 suggestions:

1. Carry a hi-lift jack. Also known as a farmer jack. Along with a chain and a tow strap, this can winch, jack or pull you out from anything you can get stuck in on or under.

2. Never venture offroad alone. A night stuck in the middle of nowhere could have been solved with a simple tug from a second vehicle.

3. If you venture far offroad, be prepared to spend the night. Blanket, food, water, etc. I've been on trails where it's taken 3-4 hours to progress 100 yards.

i almost got stuck once, when going for a cache way of the main highway, it was basicly a bare dirt path but the further i drove the further i sunk into the mud. After the mud was 2/3 of the way up the tire, almost over the exhaust, and past the bottom of the door i decided to back up and not go any further, luckily the 4 wheel drive worked good and i got out!

When I lived in florida my cache vehicle was a 2002 kia spectra . I would take this car to places some people wouldn't take thier trucks to . One nice day I decided to hit "rocks redneck oasis, should have read my topos better there is a fire road within a half mile, but i chose the sand road. hiked around to find some branches to put under the tires to no avail. It's always nice to see bear tracks covering yours when you get back to your car. Ihiked out about ten miles to find someone to tow me out. luckily it was a friday and I was able to find a couple of high school red 4x4er's to do the job. the real kicker was I only needed to be towed about ten or fiftee nfeet to harder sand that was aiming for when I got stuck

quote:
Originally posted by cmpalmer:

There are some places you won't take a 4 wheel drive.

A co-worker told me this one and I was reminded of it when I was driving a rental car through the Apache trail outside of Phoenix.

--

stream of did I lock the front door? consciousness

Did the same -- except it was a rented Geo Metro. icon_biggrin.gif

Tim.

Grown up around 4X4's all my life and I am currently on my third! Never really been stuck geocaching but have been hung up a few times off roading! This thread just reminded me what I always told my friends when they would say "cool a 4x4, you never will get stuck." My reply was "4WD just means you can go 100 feet further before you get stuck!"

Darkmoon

"After you've heard two eyewitness accounts of an automobile accident, you begin to worry about history" -Anonymous

Lets see.

Three hours to pound the running board back out.

But not stuck.

Jammed a stick under another section of the running board and it will take a body shop to fix this wrinkle.

But not stuck.

Nope, so far I have not been stuck cacheing. Yet. Knock on wood.

But I have had a rig buried deep enough to have to go out the window.

And high centered bad enough I had to replace the cross member under the transfer case.

Front and back bumper were the only part of the rig touching ground.

Friends had to tie three winches on to pull me out of a quicksand bog.

I meet my wife on a blind date and proceeded to get stuck to where we had to walk out about six miles after getting hung up on a tree rootball.

I have had to throw iron on all four to get out of a snowbank.

I have twisted three strands of fence into a strap to hook a handyman and chin with binder to so I could reach the nearest tree.

And a "hole" lot more.

logscaler.

"Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction?

Fiction, after all, has to make sense."

Mark Twain.

[This message was edited by logscaler on November 06, 2003 at 09:51 PM.]

Green Mountain Traveller had our hearts thumping for a few minutes by nearly getting permanently stuck.

On our way from camping in Maine to NY, we chose this one as a diversion en route. After backtracking because the mentioned bridge is out, we found the right road to Honey Hollow. The road was a gravel, narrow and steep. We had no business being on it in a minivan pulling a pop-up camper. Still a couple miles from the cache the road pitched enough that our tires began to spin. We could go no further up the road. The tires turned but the van stayed put. Then it began to slip back a little. :) We were left with no choice but to go down - backwards. Even to turn around we would need to unhitch.

There was a wide spot about 50 yards back. The Girls got out, and with that as my target, I backed the traler slowly down the hill. I got lucky and hit the pull out just right. There was not much room to go forward and back to get lined up. From the road fill, it was about a 60% grade off the side of the mountain. When I went to put the van into park, to unhitch the trailer, I noticed I backed down the hill while idling in drive, rather than reverse. :)

As die-hard cachers (pretty high on adrenaline and relief) we unhitched and drove on, depending on the kindness of strangers to leave our home-away-from-home be. We left a note on the hitch for any curious onlookers. We got back to the camper in adequate time to hitch up without needing flashlights. The note is laminated now and ready for future use.

Gary

due to the fact that i drive a highly modified, lifted, locked, and well equipped Jeep Wrangler with a Warn 8000 lb winch on my front bumper, I'm not too worried about it. But if you do get stuck, keep your wits about you and you can get yourself out.

carry some form of jack with you. a high lift is best (bumper/farm jack) this way you can jack up your vehicle and place traction aids under your tires (such as rocks or branches) I have had to do this before and it got me out of a nasty frozen over mud hole. just go prepared

Ok...it wasn't while caching, and I wasn't the one stuck, but I think it's a cool story. Back in June of '90, we had a really bad storm with several tornadoes, and 115mph straightwinds that tore up all the trees, houses, and telephone poles for hundreds of miles. My brother and I were out in my 4wd Toyota truck checking on the houses out in the country to make sure everyone was alright. We topped a hill on a dirt (mud) road to see a police cruiser from a town about 60 miles south of us stuck in the ditch. They had tried to go around a fallen tree and slipped off into the ditch. Well, I couldn't find a spot under the rear of the Crown Vic patrol car to hook a tow strap, so we 4-wheeled through the field and got in front of them. The only thing I could reach in all the mud and water under the front of the car was the tie rod......oh, boy. Well, we ended up towing them about a half mile back to the paved road by the tie rod. When I got out to unhook the tow rope, I noticed that the front tires were towed in towards each other, and the tie rod was kinda arched toward the front......we said our goodbye's, and my brother and I headed the opposite direction, as the patrol car swerved uncontrollably back and forth across the road in the other direction.....we never saw them again (fortunately), but I'm sure they thought they broke the car in the ditch.

Ya know, that's probably the only time in my life that I had a cop behind me with flashing lights on the end of my tow rope! And I hope it's the last!!

I was on my way to be the first finder at This cache and was going a little too fast on the back roads. As I was comming around the bend I felt my rear end start to slide out. Next thing I know I'm sitting in a swampy ditch on the side of the road. The rear driver's side tire is way in the air. Back then I had a 93 ford ranger supercab, 4X2, and I was not going anywhere. A farmer came by then went to his brother's house to get a chain. He pulled me out while another lady looked out for cars. I had my front bumper burried in that ditch, and my passenger rear tire was shoved in that wheelwell hard but it still drove away without a scratch. I was going to get the front end checked out by a shop but never got around to it. That was a tough truck.

P.S. Now I have a Jeep Cherokee. I've tried hard but so far can't get her stuck

Joe

Edited by Joe Smith

This one wasn't while caching, but its a good story so I'll tell it anyway. I was driving down a narrow snowmachine trail with a friend, in my lifted 1982 Ford F150, with 33 inch mud tires and a Detroit Locked rear end. After passing through a deep mud hole (2.5 feet) and going around the corner, I saw the end of the trial. One catch: a rutted mud hole, 3 feet deep and 12 feet long, that led into an open field. OK, 4-low, lets just get out of here. Easier said than done. After crawling out the sliding rear window into the bed of the truck because I couldn't open the doors, I went into the toolbox and got out the come-a-long. Problem: nothing to hook onto in front of us (led into an open field, remember?) My only option: pull myself out backwards and try it again taking a different line. (Being a narrow snowmachine trail, there was no room to turn around.) We hooked the come-a-long to the truck and to a tree. After cranking for almost 30 minutes, the normal "click" of the tool turned into a "crack". Instead of pulling us out of the mud, we pulled the tree to the ground. A short 1.5 mile walk later we found a nice logger with a 1-ton diesel Dodge who was willing to pull us out. We hooked up the tow strap and he gave a nice tug, only to hear another loud "crack". This time in was the rear axle that had gotten snagged on a log beneath the mud. Inspection of the damage revealed that the pull had broken all the leafsprings on the rear axle clean in half, except (fortunately) for the main springs on both sides. The new suspention set-up left the back end of my truck sagging almost 6 inches closer to the ground than it had just an hour previously. Luckily for me the friend I was with works at a suspention shop. :P The cost for this little adventure: $200 in new leaf springs, and a 12 pack of Bud for my new logger friend.

I have to say that I was just in this predicament just a few weeks ago. I am stationed in the UK and my son and I were out in the beautiful English countryside looking for North Fen in my Dodge 1500 4X4. I missed the junction where I should have taken the high road and ended up in no man's land and burried my truck to the axels in the nice English mud :mad: . Good news is we were only 70 feet from the cache and still bagged it. My friend Gatlin Gang came to help me out and bagged the cache too with some great pictures. Check out his log :mad: .

To make a long story short we ended up having to abandon the truck over night and get a very nice farmer to pull me out with his huge tractor the next day. Off to the next cache! :(

P.S. Now I have a Jeep Cherokee. I've tried hard but so far can't get her stuck

It's not as hard as you think. A little stupidity and the wrong conditions will do it real quick.

My fun...

I wasn't geocaching but just as easily could have been. A couple years ago, before I left Klamath Falls (oregon) I was driving around sight-seeing in the mountains west of town, alone BTW. This was late may or early june but there was still plenty of snow around being somewhere around 6000 feet ASL. I was driving my Wrangler (no it's not yellow :mad: ) that's slightly lifted with oversize tires. After driving around for a while I decided to go up to a lake that my friend told me I needed to see. So I was driving up to it (on gravelled forest roads) and decided to take a side road to see what was there. This road had a few areas of snow across the road still, but nothing to worry about. I plowed through the snow banks without any problem. Then I came to another bank that was slightly bigger than the rest. I estimated that it was probably only 50 feet to the other side and no more than a foot deep. So I get up a little speed and head into it just like the others. About 10 feet in I start to lose speed and bog the engine down. So I stop, back up and assess the situation (first warning bell should have gone off!). I look at the tracks I had made. Nothing spectacular. The tires had gone all the way down to the gravel and it looked firm underneith. So I decide I just need a little more speed, afterall it is a larger bank than the rest. So off I go again. Now, a little about the snow here. Being that it was so late in the season, the top of the snow had melted and refrozen many times leaving a hard crust of ice overtop of relatively soft snow under it. This time I plow down the ruts I had already made, then start riding on top of the ice crust. Well, that only lasted for a few feet. The tires broke through and left me completely high centered in the snow. The frame, cross-members and everything were resting on top of the ice and the tires were just spinning in the snow below. Being that I hadn't planned on doing any 'wheeling I didn't have any recovery tools with me to dig out with. I thought about fashioning a shovel from some tree limbs, or using a large cup that I had as a scoop, but given that it was getting on 3:30 I figured it'd be well after dark before I had shovelled enough to get free.

So then I started adding up my choices. I knew I wasn't too far from the main road, but I didn't know exactly how far, maybe two miles at the most. I figured I could hike out and catch a ride, or call for help if I could get a cell signal. Or I could start digging out, spend the night in the jeep and finish up in the morning. I had extra water and some food, but given that I was only wearing shorts and a t-shirt and had an extra flannel shirt with me (hey, it was 80 degrees, even in the hills) I didn't relish the thought of spending the night out there. So I grabbed some road flares (in case the road was further than I thought and needed to start a fire) my water and my colt (you never know when you're gonna need it) and started hiking out.

It turns out I HAD mis-judged the distance back to the main road. Luckily it was in my favor and it was only about a mile out. Since I still had no cell signal, I walked another half mile or so to a rest area and bummed a ride to a campground that had a phone (who ever heard of a rest stop without a phone?). I called up a friend with a pickup and had him pick me up and take me back up to the jeep. A quick yank with a strap and it was free and I was on my way home.

Luckily it turned out alright, but it reminded me of some very simple rules of off-road traveling that I had ignored.

Edited by Gloom
Gloom: I thought about fashioning a shovel from some tree limbs

firecrackers will take care of snow and ice :mad::o:o

:(:(

Yeah? So will gas and a lighter, although not as quick as you might think. I had both of those at my disposal, but I thought burning down the jeep to get it unstuck was a little bit drastic... :mad:

Quote: I thought burning down the jeep to get it unstuck was a little bit drastic...

Ice cube stuck in your throat? Drink some boiling water!

Never stuck caching, but knowing me, it'll happen sooner or later. :mad:

On the way to a FTF one fine morning, I did run off the road and nearly stick it hard. Lost a hubcap. No big deal, right? Later on, miles from nowhere doing another cache, I return to the car and notice a stream of antifreeze leading away from my car. Punctured the lower hose and hadn't noticed it until then. Thank goodness I had a gallon of water in the back!

Edited for speeling...

Edited by E = Mc2