When should you delete a duplicate found log

Mike&Lily

Recently we had a cache log deleted because we had unintentionally logged a smilie twice

No big deal right!

Unless of course it happened on a cache that had been archived for over a year and and the duplicate log was written 29 june 2008 gc1bx6r

So our question is this

when should you delete a duplicate found log?

We do it right away .

We can only assume that duplicate found log deletions normally occur shortly after they happen

I guess we have to appreciate the lengths that the cache owner went to in checking the archived cache and going back 4 1/2 years so that they could rectify our mistake

Though we do think that may have been more helpful when the error occured and when we had just been caching a few months and we had not logged so many milestones.

Now it just seems like someone with an axe to grind

Your thought on this matter would be appreciated

Mike Lily

Edited by Mike&Lily

I guess we have to appreciate the lengths that the cache owner went to in checking the archived cache and going back 4 1/2 years so that they could rectify our mistake

Though we do think that may have been more helpful when the error occured and when we had just been caching a few months and we had not logged so many milestones.

Would you rather comb through your list of finds? The cache owner has an easier time seeing the double post. Maybe an axe to grind, maybe simply trigger-happy. If I saw a double post, I might delete the least interesting of the two (yes, promptly is good). I'd probably ask you first, but that's just me. I saw a set of 3 "Found Its" in a row today on someone's cache, and thought to keep an eye on that for the day when that cacher comes to the forum to ask why the numbers are wrong.

You can edit the milestones, but they are truly off by one. They've always been.

Edited by kunarion

You are absolutely correct and we do not dispute this fact. We have truly been off by one cache all these years, but I will add this for our 5000th cache we chose to climb a mt and find the wreckage of an old plane. Quite a hike and I'm sure that I could have done a drive up to prior to this long hike had I been informed 4.5 years ago of the error that we had made oh so long ago.

I wouldn't get too worked up about it. They must have missed it when it first happened. It sounds to me like they were browsing old logs and came across your duplicate.

If it were me I'd delete the log, probably with a follow-up email of explanation. I think if anything you should thank them. GSAK aside, it can be hard to find duplicate logs.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

GSAK aside, it can be hard to find duplicate logs.

Well it recently became a whole lot easier, if you go to Project-GC.com it uses the Groundspeak API to get all your caching stats, it takes a while for it to pull down your stats so they're usually up to 24 hours old (there's a box at the top of the page showing how old the stats are) . There's an option (Profile/find bad logs) which will show which caches you have logged duplicate finds on, it also shows who has logged duplicate finds on the caches YOU OWN - perhaps the CO in this case used this feature. There are a lot of other interesting features on there which some people find very useful for filling in D/T grids, date placed challenges etc.

I checked out my caches several months ago and there are a few duplicate logs on some of my caches but I let them stay.

Edited by MartyBartfast

Interestingly (& I've only just found this out myself), you can also search for bad logs for other players, a quick check shows that the OP still has duplicate logs on 2 caches, has logged a find on one of their own caches (although that looks like one they have adopted so probably found it before adopting it), and there are about 40 duplicate logs on caches they own.

Useful info or fodder for interfering busybodies?

As a cache owner, if a person actually visits my cache and signs the log, they can log their visit any way they want as long as the log is not inappropriate. I'm not going to tell them how they have to play the game or keep their score.

If a Newb double logged a find I might send an email to them and suggest how to change their log to a Note if that is what they want.

If you want to visit my cache, sign the log, and post a find a dozen times that's your prerogative. Happy Caching !!!

As a cache owner, if a person actually visits my cache and signs the log, they can log their visit any way they want as long as the log is not inappropriate. I'm not going to tell them how they have to play the game or keep their score.

If a Newb double logged a find I might send an email to them and suggest how to change their log to a Note if that is what they want.

If you want to visit my cache, sign the log, and post a find a dozen times that's your prerogative. Happy Caching !!!

This answer here ↑

Cache Owner has no right (by the Guidelines) to delete a log for the reasons given. It is up to the individual cacher to delete duplicates if they so desire.

Cache Owner has no right (by the Guidelines) to delete a log for the reasons given. It is up to the individual cacher to delete duplicates if they so desire.

From the Groundspeak guidelines:

As the owner of your cache listing, your responsibility includes quality control of all posts to the cache listing. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off-topic or otherwise inappropriate.

If the cache owner believes duplicate logs are bogus, then they have the right to delete those logs. If the finder disagrees, then they can appeal to Groundspeak, but I'm sure Groundspeak would come down on the owner's side.

Imagine the precedent that would be set if you couldn't delete duplicate logs. The armchair cachers would have a field day logging hundreds or thousands of duplicate finds on each of the caches they do go out and visit.

Edited by CanadianRockies

Well it recently became a whole lot easier, if you go to Project-GC.com it uses the Groundspeak API...

Now that is pretty cool, thanks for showing us!

To the OP: I try to take care of duplicate and otherwise 'bogus' logs within a few days (giving the logger a chance to fix things for themselves).

Deleting a duplicate log four years after the fact seems a bit out of line.

No matter what is done once the error is noticed, someone is going to have to make a difficult choice.

If someone logs it the same day twice, I can see no valid reason for them to have 2 logs so I will send them an email saying I am deleting the duplicate and delete the bonus one. Usually I wait for a little bit to give them a little time to self correct themselves before starting the email and deletion. If the logs are a long time apart and I have moved the cache location in between, well, maybe I would not be as quick, I do not know, that situation has never arose.

Funny that I come across this topic seeing that I just deleted a duplicate log a few minutes ago. I usually pick up on the duplicate logs when I check my email notifications and see the two emails from the same cacher on the same cache. Many times the cacher has already deleted the duplicate log by the time I check the cache page. Sometimes people have logged their TB's with a second found it log instead of a note. I ALWAYS follow up after deleting a log to inform the cacher as to why I deleted their log. In the case of the TB logs I usually email them first to inform them that they can change it to a note. I have never had any negative feedback from any cacher and most respond with a thanks. I believe it is smart phone logging that is causing an increase in duplicate logs (I seem to come across them more frequently now since the GC app was released). I also have found that most are from newbie's.

Recently we had a cache log deleted because we had unintentionally logged a smilie twice

No big deal right!

You are absolutely correct and we do not dispute this fact. We have truly been off by one cache all these years, but I will add this for our 5000th cache we chose to climb a mt and find the wreckage of an old plane. Quite a hike and I'm sure that I could have done a drive up to prior to this long hike had I been informed 4.5 years ago of the error that we had made oh so long ago.

Your Milestones have been innaccurate since you double logged that one cache. Even before the CO deleted the duplicate log. Why are you blaming him/her for the innaccuracy?? At least it reads to me like that is what you are doing.

Back to your original post... guess it might be a big deal???

edit to add- I reread what I posted and thought it might have the wrong tone to it. It sucks to find out the error, I agree. I would be twisted about it myself. But I can't fault anyone but me for it. Unless you can find a cache you forgot to log, I can't see a way to correct it. I would be surprised if you wrote GS and they restored the deleted log. Sorry it had to happen that way.:(

Edited by NeecesandNephews

Interestingly (& I've only just found this out myself), you can also search for bad logs for other players, ...

I don't see why people want to get their knickers twisted, but I guess I should be happy that the there is now a website they can go to to have this done. I'll remember Project-GC-wedgie.com in case I ever feel like it. <_<

Interestingly (& I've only just found this out myself), you can also search for bad logs for other players, ...

I don't see why people want to get their knickers twisted, but I guess I should be happy that the there is now a website they can go to to have this done. I'll remember Project-GC-wedgie.com in case I ever feel like it. <_<

Not everyone is into fuzzy numbers.

Some of us prefer accuracy whenever possible.

FORCING others to be accurate when they don't want to be can be bad.

ASSISTING others in the quest for accuracy is good.

It's not a huge deal if someone logs my cache twice, but I would appreciate it if someone told me that I did it on theirs.

I as a CO, dont run the project gc double log check every day

but maybe 1-2 times pr year, if there are double logs on some of my caches,

I simply delete the one of them, most often they are EXACTLY the same, and performed same date,

but I also have seen other combinations, clearly made in error.

The log delete page do not offer a short message to the person affected,

so I am sorry, I dont have a nice and easy way to contact them.

I dont see any problem if a CO find out about this smart project-gc page after several years

run a check and delete the logs made in error,

Edited by OZ2CPU

The log delete page do not offer a short message to the person affected,

so I am sorry, I dont have a nice and easy way to contact them.

I requested this feature back in August. If more people could reply to the thread, it would have a greater chance of being implemented.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=299737&st=0&gopid=5185875entry5185875

Not too sure that I agree with all of the threads, but I have to admit that I have learned how to correct my incorrect logs and how to lock in my milestones. I started this thread not because I lost a smiley, but the fact that I hiked up a mt top to view a historical plane crash site, not to have my milestone changed to a micro on a mailbox. It is true that it was my fault and not the cache owner. Do they have the right, absolutely, not disputing that fact. Most of us have noticed that these mistakes are made as newbies and in our case there was no exception. It is odd that even now I have been reluctant to delete a newbies double log as I feared I might offend them and scare them away from the sport, but better now than their 5000 th find.

Yesterday a newb (68 finds) double logged a 'Found It' log on one of my caches.

I sent an email letting them know what they had done and ofering my help if needed to fix it.

The double log was quickly deleted and I recieved an email thanking me.

I have found that this approach (as opposed to me deleting the log) invariably results in a happy ending.

You can just as easily muck up your milestones by discovering that you failed to log a cache you found many years ago. Someone I know found a cache and felt it was all rather familiar - they checked the logbook and there was their log some three years earlier! So all their subsequent milestones were wrong. Nothing you can do about it afterwards though.

If someone logs 'TFTC' three times in a row on the same date it is likely they've done in on a phone and thought that the log hasn't gone through so clocked a couple more times. No one should have a problem with these extra logs being deleted.

By rights you should even be able to log a cache twice accidentally - you would expect a warning "you have already logged this as found - do you want to continue?" or the like.

Why would anyone deliberately log a cache twice?

Thanks very much for posting the link to http://project-gc.com/.

Incidentally, if you are worried that deleting a duplicate log will screw up your milestones, don't be. You can manually edit and lock your milestones if needed.

I'm not trying to be rude or insulting... but why would you want to "lock in" a milestone you knew was not accurate?? That seems a little strange to me. As I said earlier, it sucks to find that out, but it doesn't change the facts.

Incidentally, if you are worried that deleting a duplicate log will screw up your milestones, don't be. You can manually edit and lock your milestones if needed.

I'm not trying to be rude or insulting... but why would you want to "lock in" a milestone you knew was not accurate?? That seems a little strange to me. As I said earlier, it sucks to find that out, but it doesn't change the facts.

I don't think I can really explain it so you can understand, but I must not be the only one, for Grounspeak to make this feature available.

For example, my 1000th find was an epic adventure. I had a huge sign saying 1000 and took lots of photos of us holding it. Then something got screwed up and a P&G turned up as my 1000th. So I edited my milestones. I don't want to see an uninteresting newbie hide as my 1000th. It would bug me everytime I looked at my milestones. Yes, I know it's not totally accurate, but 5 years from now, I won't remember anyway.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I don't think I can really explain it so you can understand, but I must not be the only one, for Grounspeak to make this feature available.

For example, my 1000th find was an epic adventure. I had a huge sign saying 1000 and took lots of photos of us holding it. Then something got screwed up and a P&G turned up as my 1000th. So I edited my milestones. I don't want to see an uninteresting newbie hide as my 1000th. It would bug me everytime I looked at my milestones. Yes, I know it's not totally accurate, but 5 years from now, I won't remember anyway.

OK :D I wasn't being confrontational or condescending when I asked, I was just curious why that would be done!

And I can relate to the "five years from now, I won't remember" part! :laughing:

Edited by NeecesandNephews

I accidentally logged the same cache twice yesterday and would like to delete one, but I am still new to this and can't figure out how. Any help appreciated!!

Click on view/edit on your log. you have an option to delete (the red garbage can), click it (and the "are you sure" part) and you're done.

- Thanks for being an honest cacher.

I have a questions as to double logs. If you do a trail, then later the same trail becomes a coined trail and you have to redo the whole trail, should you be allowed to mark them as a find, for the 2nd time, since you "HAD' to refind them?

What's a "coined trail" and why do you have to "redo the whole trail"?

If the cache is still the same GCnumber, you've already Found the cache.

I have a questions as to double logs. If you do a trail, then later the same trail becomes a coined trail and you have to redo the whole trail, should you be allowed to mark them as a find, for the 2nd time, since you "HAD' to refind them?

there is a 26 mile bike trail with caches. After a while, one person went to visitors beura and got a coin made. To get the coin, you have to get 2 words off each mile of the trail. Only 3 of the caches in a mile had words put on them, so you had to redo all of it to get the words to get the coin.

Edited by CuriousGeorge59

Back in the early days caches could be moved, I've 6 caches I've logged twice, they had been moved anywhere from 1/4 mile to over 6 miles

I've found a moving cache but only once and I'll never look for it again, I'm picky about my unique find count matching my find count. I have also deleted lduplicate logs on my caches that were obviously done by accident. I've never been faced with one that wasn't but I suspect I'd contact the cacher first.

As for the OP, fact is that mountain top cache may have been your 5000th log posted but it never was and never will be the 5000th cache you found. Sucks, but that's reality but there's always #10,000.

Back in the early days caches could be moved, I've 6 caches I've logged twice, they had been moved anywhere from 1/4 mile to over 6 miles

I've found a moving cache but only once and I'll never look for it again, I'm picky about my unique find count matching my find count. I have also deleted lduplicate logs on my caches that were obviously done by accident. I've never been faced with one that wasn't but I suspect I'd contact the cacher first.

they we not moving caches, 2 were moved to higher ground when the owners found out they were in the flood plain the others were moved to safer positions

As for the OP, fact is that mountain top cache may have been your 5000th log posted but it never was and never will be the 5000th cache you found. Sucks, but that's reality but there's always #10,000.

they we not moving caches, 2 were moved to higher ground when the owners found out they were in the flood plain the others were moved to safer positions

Personally I still wouldn't log a second find, I believe 1 find/GC code, I know it would bug me it my finds and uniques didn't match but I can understand why in some case one might log a cache more than once. On the moving cache it states you may log it multiple times as long a five people have found it since your last find, some have found it 10+ times.

Correct!!! The review process wasn't so tight, and people would move caches long distances, and in many cases, even "invite" re-finds. And I've brought this up before, and hardly anyone believes me, but I could show you a cache in my area that was once a traditional cache, and was changed to a 4 leg multi under the same GC number in 2005 or so. And the original traditional hiding spot was totally abandoned, and not part of the multi. :huh:

That being said, I've deleted several obvious smartphone logged double logs on my caches in the last two years or so, one just two days ago. I always send a note explaining my actions, but have never once received a response.

there is a 26 mile bike trail with caches. After a while, one person went to visitors beura and got a coin made. To get the coin, you have to get 2 words off each mile of the trail. Only 3 of the caches in a mile had words put on them, so you had to redo all of it to get the words to get the coin.

I guess if you want the coin, you need to revisit the caches.

Bummer. :(

OTOH, the people handing out the coins might give you one if you completed the trail before the need for the code words came about...it can't hurt to ask!

If you have already logged them, you don't need to log them again. If you DO log them again, you should use a 'Note' type log

I can hardly believe some people are so weirdly restrictive about finding a cache twice. I've done it, and it was completely legitimate - and if the owner deleted what they thought was a "duplicate" log, I'd get Groundspeak to reinstate my second find.

For example, I found one in April 07. Six years later, I am trying to do the community a favor by replacing a beloved and apparently-missing cache after recent DNFs but first I have to search a reasonable area around GZ to ensure I'm not placing a duplicate. I don't remember the hillside, I don't remember the deer trails, I don't remember the bushes, I don't remember if the original hide had good coords or was off a little ... I'm very surprised and happy to find the original container under the third or fourth bush I check, and almost exactly at the listed coords. Hell yes, I'm going to post a second find log for that. (And yes, I sign the log a second time).

It was every bit as unique a find to me as it would have been to find a more recent cache that I had never searched for in a similar hiding spot it similar terrain.

Now, if I go back next week and I remember the trail and I remember "it was under one of these dark green bushes at the edge of the clearing" then, no, I won't count that as a new find. I won't cheat myself out of the experience of a genuine find, and I also won't cheat myself out of claiming the smiley when I do genuinely have to search for and find something when I have no memory from previous find to help me with the current attempt.

Of course, this kind of find won't happen often, but it could happen more often as some of us get older and start to lose our minds :anitongue:

No big deal right!

Unless of course it happened on a cache that had been archived for over a year and and the duplicate log was written 29 june 2008 gc1bx6r

So our question is this

when should you delete a duplicate found log?

We do it right away .

We can only assume that duplicate found log deletions normally occur shortly after they happen

Now it just seems like someone with an axe to grind

Your thought on this matter would be appreciated

Mike Lily

Hey Mike&Lily,

I would send an email notifying cached of their error. If it was within a few days, then obviously, the find was logged twice by accident. If its years later, than I prob would send a friendly note asking if they went twice. We found a cache a couple of years ago, forgot to log the cache. We wrote the cache owner asking if we could log it, but we got no response. We will go back, resign the log, them finally log the cache. I am hoping the error is o. Our part, and for some reason forgot to log it and not that the log got deleted.

Of course, this kind of find won't happen often, but it could happen more often as some of us get older and start to lose our minds :anitongue:

I would think if the finds are 6 years apart, CO's would be less likely to delete your log. I've deleted quite a few duplicates and it's almost always the same day.

Incidentally, losing your mind has its advantages. I'm not old yet, but I have a terrible memory, always have. It's great. You never run out of books to read, movies to watch...or caches to find. :P

I found a certain tough cache here 2 years ago and you'd think I could find it again. Nope. So I'm back at it. Tried again today and will probably return many times and when I do eventually find it again, I do believe I'm going to log another find. :)

There was only 1 cache hidden outside the Alzheimer's Care Facility, but the residents had hundreds of finds logged up as they went outside for a new cache hunt every day!

I seriously don't understand why a CO would give a rat's patootie about who logged their cache and how many times. I've seen brand newbies double-tap a cache with the same log twice on one day. I've sent them a note pointing out the obvious error with a pre-emptive explanation of how to delete the duplicate log. And then I walk away as it's none of my business as to how each cacher chooses to play the game.

That said, GS could easily make CO involvement easier by allowing us the option to convert someone's Found It log direclty to a Note instead of deleting (technically, archiving) their log. That way you don't have to arbitrarily pick the "worse" log and delete it. You can just convert the 2nd entry to a Write Note log type and the whole world can still see that the knucklehead logged the cache twice, and yet all the find stats will remain "accurate".

From the finder's point of view, GS should drop some code in their log entry page so that it detects the case where you are attempting to enter a 2nd Found It log on the same cache and then pops up a confirmation note (like it does with NM or NA logs) to warn you and ask if you wish to continue.

I seriously don't understand why a CO would give a rat's patootie about who logged their cache and how many times. I've seen brand newbies double-tap a cache with the same log twice on one day. I've sent them a note pointing out the obvious error with a pre-emptive explanation of how to delete the duplicate log. And then I walk away as it's none of my business as to how each cacher chooses to play the game.

You might not care how people opt to log finds on your caches, but some people do. I've deleted "Found It" logs by people who were never close to one of my caches, who looked but could not find one of my caches, who found my Challenge Cache but didn't meet its requirements, and by someone who logged two "Found Its."

Why do I bother? Because I think a geocaching "find" should have some sort of meaning.