this beats the TFTC and :) logs

oxford comma

I can handle a TFTC. a :-) as an online log is mildly irritating, but, I can get over it. but this? seriously? I think it's a team logging finds- and one of them does this:

( 12/25/12 ) log

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=90b48856-d98a-4dee-9fc7-141cc5c3e896

what do you guys think? armchair logs? a little kid? or someone just really inconsiderate.

I sent them a nice email asking what it was all about, and gave them a few beginners caching tips ( trade even or up, etc)

I had some logs like that as well and hated it. They were by some young kids-who DID know TFTC but they were just to lazy. I replaced a cache and didn't see their names on the logbook so deleted it. They logged it again same way so I sent an email saying I'm deleting all logs unless they log something decent. They haven't logged any of that gibberish again with any other caches.

Some other similar type logs I've seen are "cached", "o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O" (of various lengths) and the date such as "12/25/12". To each his own I suppose.

We have two new "not been validated" users that are logging all of the local caches with "Wooot" and "Appollonius!". It's one of the reasons that I am converting all of caches to PMO. It's way to easy to geocache now. You don't even need to create an account, and you certainly don't need to be accountable, or write actual words in your log entry.

that one is a PMO. deleting one log for now

I see that now. I didn't get a chance to see the original log, so I can't comment on that, but I feel that I may have jumped the gun on my idea that it was just some kid fooling around with this geocaching thing. Looking at the user's logs on other caches, I see a lot of TFTC or terse three word sentences. Since they paid the $30, It's possible that they may be an older person that does not have a good command for the written word.

We have two new "not been validated" users that are logging all of the local caches with "Wooot" and "Appollonius!".

This annoys you? I find logs like these hilarious! Not that I encounter too many, though. I suppose if it was common-place I would probably feel differently.

There's one cacher here who logs 99% of the time just this:

: )

I find it kind of funny. :laughing:

Edited by The_Incredibles_

only deleted one found log.

if they can't read well it doesn't explain the jkhnkjnbmk logs. I'll check my cache this week if I can - in the least it will be soon. there is a Cacher around here whose online logs are :-)

You can't delete logs just because you don't like them and you can't demand how a cacher should log your caches, that's an ALR.

Edited by Roman!

I didn't see the first log, but in reference to the second:

I think the 'sorry' is in reference to this on the cache page:

this place has seen my greatest joys (twice) , and also my greatest sorrow. the obstetricians on the second floor of the building here have given me my first glimpses of my two beautiful children, and of the tiny little one I never got to meet face to face.

I would guess the 'thanks' is a nice way of saying that they appreciate you putting a cache out for them to find.

As far as I can tell, this finder not only appreciates your cache, but also read your description and offered his condolences. Seems like a nice person.

I used to have expectations about what I wanted to see in my logs, but now I believe that the content of the logs should be up to the people who write them. If a finder wants to express themself with "wf;hafhlas" or "tftc" or ":)" or "sorry thanks", I'm totally cool with it.

It's nice that you're totally cool with with, but as often as this topic comes up, some cache owners would prefer that finder write something meaningful. Since you and others don't care either way, doesn't it make sense to try to convince finders to write something meaningful for those cache owners that *do* care?

Someone once logged one of my caches with, "was there a log?"

I kind of thought that was the whole point?

They were new, I sent them a nice email explaining things, gave them an opportunity to go back, find the log and edit their online log. Six months later and not even a reply to the email. I deleted the log. I tried.

I used to have expectations about what I wanted to see in my logs, but now I believe that the content of the logs should be up to the people who write them. If a finder wants to express themself with "wf;hafhlas" or "tftc" or ":)" or "sorry thanks", I'm totally cool with it.

It's nice that you're totally cool with with, but as often as this topic comes up, some cache owners would prefer that finder write something meaningful. Since you and others don't care either way, doesn't it make sense to try to convince finders to write something meaningful for those cache owners that *do* care?

It's encouraged. I definitely try to write a couple sentences about the hunt or theme or whatever. I'm wordy like that. Others don't and that's ok. As often as this topic comes up, doesn't it make sense that cache owners have some unrealistic and high expectations?

It's encouraged. I definitely try to write a couple sentences about the hunt or theme or whatever. I'm wordy like that. Others don't and that's ok. As often as this topic comes up, doesn't it make sense that cache owners have some unrealistic and high expectations?

I don't think that last sentence came out the way you wanted. In past threads I haven't seen cache owners with unrealistic and high expectations, unless you count a reading a complete sentence unrealistic. The way I see if, if cache owners are no satisfied with the quality of logs they receive they have two choices, not as someone else put it "you *have* to take the good with the bad". The other choice is to stop placing caches for a bunch of ungrateful finders.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

I don't think that last sentence came out the way you wanted. In past threads I haven't seen cache owners with unrealistic and high expectations, unless you count a reading a complete sentence unrealistic. The way I see if, if cache owners are no satisfied with the quality of logs they receive they have two choices, not as someone else put it "you *have* to take the good with the bad". The other choice is to stop placing caches for a bunch of ungrateful finders.

Its unfortunate, but logs with complete sentances are on the decline from what I've seen. Expecting complete sentences is becoming an unrealistic expectation, if it isn't already. If thats your expectation, you're sure to be disappointed.

I don't hide caches for a "bunch of ungrateful finders". I hide them for the rest.

I don't have unrealistic expectations.

I do, however, appreciate well-worded logs on my caches.

If someone wants to log 'soglcixpr' on my cache, it reflects more on them than it does on me.

Even so, I still would like to know what the heck they were thinking. :wacko:

It also makes me wonder if they are doing the rest correctly. Putting the cap back on properly. Concealing the cache the way they found it.

Its unfortunate, but logs with complete sentances are on the decline from what I've seen. Expecting complete sentences is becoming an unrealistic expectation, if it isn't already. If thats your expectation, you're sure to be disappointed.

I don't think that's a geocaching-specific trend.

I know a cacher here that all his logs were TFTC. Got kind of annoying. I was wondering what is up with this guy. This was for his first 200+ finds. Now he gets it and posts long logs and pics and makes some cool hides. I have gone caching with him. Might have to give them some time. Might be great people who just don't understand what is up.