Required Test for newbies

gururyan

I know it's a sensitive subject, and I don't want to discourage people from joining the Geo family...but I really think I found a solution to the frustration newbie errors create. We all know how disappointing and frustrating it can be to spend $$$ on cool geocoins and trackables or have ones that have traveled so far...just to see them lost forever due to a newbie not understanding the logging process. This is what I propose. If we could make a test that shows and requires new members to perform mock actions like dipping, grabbing, dropping trackables, leaving notes, logging DNF's, submitting maintenance requests, etc...I think it would really help. I will admit that my tolerance with a newbie losing one of my cherished coins is short, but even my own father seems to have difficulty understanding how it all works and properly logging trackables. If we required new members to actually go through the motions and understand firsthand how to log, track, edit, etc., I think it would be very beneficial. Add it to the registration section—a test that must be passed before being given an account.

:)

A suggested series of 'How-To' videos would be a good idea. :)

I would not be in favor of a 'Required Test' in any shape or form.

EDITED TO ADD:

It's a game, a fun activity...not a Masters-level college course.

If you cherish your coins so dearly, don't release them into the wild.

Edited by AZcachemeister

This has been suggested before, and there's even a mock test somewhere that I'm sure someone here will link to. Personally, if it's done in the right way, I think this would be a great thing.

Edit to add: I just re-read your post, and it seems to focus a lot on trackables. The mock test, and what I envision in my mind, would be focused more on general caching topics than on trackables.

Edited by The A-Team

I only focused on trackables because that seems to be the most difficult for newbies to grasp. And I'm not just speaking of MY coins, but on behalf of all owners of trackables. It's disheartening to watch one fall off the grid. If one takes it so lightly as to "don't release one then"...what's the point of any of it? Surely and hopefully people would prefer to see the whole idea of trackables succeed and not have such a laissez faire attitude about it.

I only focused on trackables because that seems to be the most difficult for newbies to grasp. And I'm not just speaking of MY coins, but on behalf of all owners of trackables. It's disheartening to watch one fall off the grid. If one takes it so lightly as to "don't release one then"...what's the point of any of it? Surely and hopefully people would prefer to see the whole idea of trackables succeed and not have such a laissez faire attitude about it.

I'm glad to see that you think only newbie's are the ones taking coins. I have a different opinion.

I'm glad to see that you think only newbie's are the ones taking coins. I have a different opinion.

Oh no, I suspect others of falsely dropping coins too...but we can't do anything about theft. With education though, we should be able to save truly "lost" trackables.

Oh no, I suspect others of falsely dropping coins too...but we can't do anything about theft. With education though, we should be able to save truly "lost" trackables.

There could be another test for veteran Geocachers, to determine an imminent Geocide and the resulting fallout. :anitongue:

As for education, it's this:

"If you know where a 'lost' Trackable is, put it back into the game". This completes your education. Congratulations, graduate.

Edited by kunarion

I'd suggest that you may buy a coin you like, but keep it. Then it's safe from anyone who has "difficulty", newbie or not. You can still do some tracking, release laminated paper, or other very replaceable copy. The more you learn of Official Policies, the less likely you'll release an actual coin or TB.

Edited by kunarion

Someone I know who no longer caches has a few trackables she thought were souvenirs. I suggested she give them to me to pop back into the game. She was a newbie. On the other hand, a couple of my geocoins that are now MIA were last picked up by more experienced cachers. No idea where they are now - not in a cache! I don't even want to play the trackable game any more...

I know it's a sensitive subject, and I don't want to discourage people from joining the Geo family...but I really think I found a solution to the frustration newbie errors create. We all know how disappointing and frustrating it can be to spend $$$ on cool geocoins and trackables or have ones that have traveled so far...just to see them lost forever due to a newbie not understanding the logging process. This is what I propose. If we could make a test that shows and requires new members to perform mock actions like dipping, grabbing, dropping trackables, leaving notes, logging DNF's, submitting maintenance requests, etc...I think it would really help. I will admit that my tolerance with a newbie losing one of my cherished coins is short, but even my own father seems to have difficulty understanding how it all works and properly logging trackables. If we required new members to actually go through the motions and understand firsthand how to log, track, edit, etc., I think it would be very beneficial. Add it to the registration section—a test that must be passed before being given an account.

So, can we assume that when you were a noob just 2 years ago, you were the Geocaching Poster Child of How Things Should be Done?

maybe make a cool, fun quiz, where you can compeete in highest score,

both in time and correct answers,

if made right, people playing the quiz will learn stuff while having fun,

question suggestions:

Good things to leave in a cache, pick two

Kids toys

Food

Candy

Trash

Condoms

Ball pens

Things you MUST always leave in a cache pick one

your signature

your blood

your shooes

your mom

your wedding ring

your GPS

things NEWER to remove from a cache

the logbook

the container

the geo-sticks

the trash

the geo-swag

How to rehide a cache

Under the geosticks

Over the geosticks

open so rain can enter

turned so rain can pour off

covered so not un-intentionally found by mugglers

Things you MUST remove from a cache

Things you CAN remove from a cache

Things you can TRADE in/out of a cache

What to do with a COIN or TB if you find one, pick 3

Throw it away

Keep it forever

keep it at least 2 weeks

Keep it as short as possible

Put it into another cache soon

Log its whereabouts online

So, can we assume that when you were a noob just 2 years ago, you were the Geocaching Poster Child of How Things Should be Done?

I suppose you're just grouchy that you didn't get a poster of your own. Happy ten years, by the way.

Naw...I'm just grouchy in general. <_< Haven't had a beer yet today. :rolleyes:

It just irritates me that a (from my POV) noob thinks there should be an entry exam.

This ain't college. It's a game.

I'm not worried about this coming to pass cause it won't.

I'm worried people might actually believe its just newbies taking these.

We seem to have an old timer.in our area who has quite a large collection I hear.

I quit logging bugs because I got sick of bug owners contacting me every day after 3 days, telling me to drop their bug.

If it means that much to you, don't send it out. Peroid.

Bugs disappear. I don't like it either, but its a fact of life.

Yeah. Doubtful.

Do this.

Never release anything you are not willing to lose.

Include a tag that provides instructions.

Personally I find if those instructions right there in their hands doesn't do it, there's no hope. The best thing to do is to follow Snoogans advice.

Yes, yes you can. From day one.

I picked up a trackable a year ago and was puzzled to discover it was not shown in the cache I picked it up from. Logged the grab and mentioned that I had actually picked it up from GC**** instead of GC *****. Got a polite question from the dropper who didn't understand how to log the transaction. 2 or 3 polite emails and we now have a more knowledgable newbie. Teachable moments only work with 2 willing participants. A mandatory test will result in someone selling the answers to the final exam on craig's list.

Not that I agree with your test, because I don't, but if you're going to test cachers on the proper logging of trackables, then you can't single out just newcomers. Newbies take a lot of blame, but let's face it, there are just as many experienced cachers who have a hand in hurting this game as well. I'd much rather see a new cacher who holds a trackable too long because they aren't sure of the process over a cacher who steals them.

It just irritates me that a (from my POV) noob thinks there should be an entry exam.

At what point do you consider a cacher no longer a "noob?" The OP has been caching for nearly 2 1/2 years and has over 500 finds. That's not a newbie to me. My family & I have been caching for about 2 years with over 300 finds...I don't consider us newbies. I doubt you considered yourself a "noob" after 2 years. So you've been doing it for 8 years and have 4000+ finds, good for you, I'm glad that makes you feel so superior. I couldn't care less about someone's start date or find count. If they need help, I'm happy to help any way I can. If they can teach me something, I'll listen. You said it yourself...this isn't college, it's a game. If a person is serious enough about playing it, then it doesn't take long to figure out, it's not rocket science. There's been times when we've found caches that long time cachers couldn't. I'll take a humble newbie eager to play and learn over a high-and-mighty long timer anyday.

Someone I know who no longer caches has a few trackables she thought were souvenirs. I suggested she give them to me to pop back into the game. She was a newbie. On the other hand, a couple of my geocoins that are now MIA were last picked up by more experienced cachers. No idea where they are now - not in a cache! I don't even want to play the trackable game any more...

G'day, I see you are in the Victoria area,I have seen many trackables listed as being in the cache, but when you get there its gone, seems very common here.

I once thought that it wouldn't be such a bad thing to have at least a short tutorial on basics of caching as a requirement to activate a new account. Not a cure-all, but it might improve things a little. But ehh. In the end, as others have said, it's just a game.

You don't need to pass a test to play checkers, do you?

Maybe just getting to know the noobs would be a good starting point. When you can stop calling them noobs and start calling them by name, you've got a chance to influence them. Invite them to events, ask them if they want to join you on a caching trip. Make friends with them and then teach them about it.

It's not travel bug oriented, but here is briansnat's tongue-in-cheek 20 questions test (originally posted in 2003):

1. It's OK to place food in caches if:

a ) It's well wrapped

b ) it can withstand extremes of temperatures

c ) it tastes good

d ) All of the above

e ) None of the above

2. If you are placing a cache on private property make sure you:

a ) do it late at night so nobody sees you

b ) camoflage it well so the property owner won't find it by accident

c ) ask permission

3. An admin has failed to approve your cache as posted, so you:

a ) post a note in the forums ranting about how unfair the approvers are.

b ) call Jeremy at home and discuss it with him.

c ) Try to work with the approver to determine a way to make it acceptable.

4. When choosing a cache container:

a ) make sure its cheap in case its stolen

b ) make sure its easy to open

c ) make sure it's solid, watertight and an appropriate size.

5. The best places to hide caches are:

a ) in garbage strewn lots under a sheet of rotten plywood

b ) cool spots like railroad tracks, bridges or military installations

c ) in an area that others may find interesting

6. When choosing trade items for your cache:

a ) always use broken toys from the bottom of your kids toy chest since its all about the hunt anyway.

b ) dump discards from your junk drawer in the into the cache

c ) thoughtfully chose items that might be of interest to adults and children

7. When using old food containers as cache containers always:

a ) wipe the inside clean with your t-shirt

b ) shake out the crumbs

c ) run it through several diswhasher cycles and soak it in bleach, Oxy Clean or baking soda for a few days.

8. After placing your cache you should:

a ) leave it be, it will take care of itself

b ) visit it every few years

c ) Perform regular maintenance and respond promptly if someone reports a problem.

9. If a visitor reports a problem with your cache:

a ) post a note asking that the next visitor fix it.

b ) let it go. Some people actually like caches with soaked log books and 2 inches of slimy water inside.

c ) Visit the site at the next possible opportunity to check on the cache

10. If your state park implements rules regarding cache placement, you should:

a ) Ignore them. Rules are for fools.

b ) place a multi with the first leg outside the park

c ) Follow the rules

11. If your 1 difficulty cache has several consecutive "not founds" you should:

a ) Ignore it. They were probably newbies

b ) Ask someone who found it before to check on it for you.

c ) Promptly check for yourself to see if its still there.

12. If you choose not to replace your missing cache:

a ) Leave it active so others can still enjoy the hunt

b ) Disable it and leave it that way for at least 2 years.

c ) Archive the cache

13. If your local park bans geocaching:

a ) screw 'em and place your cache anyway

b ) try to discuss the benefits of geocaching with the park manager

14. When placing a cache deep in the forest:

a ) use a micro and hide it so well, people have to turn over every rock and log to find it.

b ) hide it well enough so it won't be accidently discovered, but so a geocacher can find it.

15. When placing a geocache in a popular city park:

a ) use a big ammo box, stuffed full of goodies

b ) use a PVC pipe, or mortar shell

c ) use a small cache container, or micro and hide it carefully.

16. When placing a cache in an environmentally sensitive area you should:

a ) walk on your tip-toes

b ) forget about it and look elsewhere

17. If you notice social paths and trampled plants around your cache you should:

a ) leave it. It will make it easier for others to find it.

b ) post a note on your cache page asking people to be careful.

c ) move the cache to an area with a more durable surface.

18. If you find a denned bear in the cave where you placed your cache you should:

a ) hide there with a camera and take pictures of the look on people's faces when they see the bear.

b ) grab a stick and drive the bear out of your cave.

c ) disable the cache until the bear has left the den for the season.

19. Your encrypted clue should contain:

a ) Important information about parking, trespassing issues and special equipment that might be required.

b ) Several paragraphs, describing in detail which trails to take to get to the cache.

c ) Information that will help narrow down the search area if the finder is having problems.

20. When placing caches on vacation:

a ) Make sure its placed in an interesting spot

b ) Ask local Geocachers if they mind

c ) just don't do it.

How do you propose this "test" be enforced? And what do you do with those disgrunteled wannabe cachers that flunked the test?

When this idea was suggested before, it was suggesting that one could just take the test until it was passed.

Currently, when someone wants to submit a listing, they just need to click a box that indicates that they've read the guidelines. It doesn't mean that someone has actually read the guidelines, and more importantly understands them. The idea behind the test is more about ensuring that someone understands the guidelines and that by taking the test the "right" answers to questions will be reinforced.

As an example of a test format, the "freerice.com" site asks a bunch of questions with a multiple choice answers. Answer it correctly and the site donates some amount of rice through the world food programme. Answer incorrectly and it tell you the correct answer. The next time you see the same question, if you're paying attention, you know which answer to select.

That said, I don't really think that questions about how trackables work belong in a test. If someone doesn't get how trackables work, it might inconvenience a couple of geocachers, but if someone hasn't read the Placing a Geocache guidelines, they could do something that causes issues with land managers and have a far greater impact.

Yes, yes you can. From day one.

Riiiight....

Good grief! A test?, You're joking right? This is a game, a hobby, it's supposed to be fun. Nobody dies if we don't all abide by your rules. You can put your test where the sun doesn't shine!! Get a life!!!

God invented beer to prove he loved us.

Edited by kwhart

There is a lot of beer in this thread and it's making me thirsty. :)

I'm new and I'd say I agree that some of the terms are confusing so I think that's a good suggestion - however, I did poke around and read about trackables, and from a brand new person's perspective, it wasn't difficult at all to find the info here on what they are and what to do with them. The intro videos are short and very nicely done. The more video the better.

I think the community is more important than a test.

Welcome the new people and answer their questions in a friendly way and they will help you spread the message and the enthusiasm for this... er, sport ?:) What is it? It seems like more than a game to me because it has those great elements of hiking, muggles, rattlesnakes, the dead rat I found the other day under a lamp skirt...

How about just a questionaire? Like before the box can be checked you get something like this

1) Is the cache on private property and you have permisson?

2) Is the cache buried?

3) When the cache is ever archived in the future would there be evidence the cache was there? Holes, nails, screws, paint, unwanted paths created?

4) Does it resemble a pipe bomb?

5) Is there any dangerous items or food in the container?

6) Is it close to any Government buildings,Schools (up to High school level)or live railroad tracks?

7) Has the cache container been placed?

8) Will you be able to maintain it?

9) Have you confirmed the coordinates against a Satelite map? (such as Google Earth or Boulter.com/gps)

10) Is there a logsheet or logbook with the container?

Edited by jellis

Why do many people "Assume" your geocaching experience is or must be biased on you membership date or cache finds??

Some of us have been Geocaching "we did not call it that in the military" long before Groundspeak was a thought of, just a point...

Not that I would support a test..... I wouldn't....

But in all fairness, based upon what I have seen with my eyes, seen in logs, noticed on 'lost' trackable pages, heard about, observed in the forums, etc., etc......

If such a test did come to be, ALL OF US, not just nØØbs, should be required to take the test. No test, no cachin' (lockout)!

How's that for extremism?

Ya know, you need to cut the nØØbs some slack... it's called learnin'. Now, for those that aren't nØØbs -- and there are a lot of them that muck things up -- that is called <insert whatever you want here>.

Wow ! As a newbie I searched how to list a trackable I just found. The coin was not on the system to grab or retrieve.So Im guessing I need to start it? Sure see alot of complaining here but no instruction or guidance or help???

Yeah, you bumped into a thread about testing -- some support it, some don't.

Now your problem, we may be able to cure fairly easily.

Most always when this question arises, it is usually because the alphanumeric tracking number has been read wrongly.

Numbers and digits can be easily confused:

#1: O (OH) vs 0 (Zero) vs Q (Ku)

#2: B vs 8

#3: S vs 5

#4: I vs 1

Depending on the physical size of that tracking number (height-wise), others can also be confused. Try different combinations using this search mechanism: http://www.geocaching.com/track/ .

My bet is the O/0/Q (very common mistake).

Good luck! :)

EDIT TO ADD: From this cache? Green Needs Series #10

Not in the inventory. It is possible that somebody placed it shortly before you got there and has not yet had a chance to log it. You don't know for sure, so don't rush trying to log it -- allow them the opportunity to do so. That would not affect your using the search mechanism, though.

There are lots of variables.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

We may even find that putting an easier to find and use forum links on the home page may enable some of the lesser mortals a chance to check out exactly what to do.

I am a member of several forums for various different activities and I found this one by searching rather than following.

The others were all through face to face contact with other members which differs so much from Geocaching which appears to me as very much individual.

Teaching and sharing is always a better resolution than getting all het up because someone has not abided by the rules.

Rules which they may not understand.

Those of us who have been shown, or have a better grasp have an obligation to help others to enjoy our game or simply leave.

Please take this opportunity to ask how we can help.

If there are thieves then we need to seek the out and offer them a chance for redemption or report them.

:rolleyes:

I'm with you on that. I've lost just as many to PM's. If I ever drop anymore they will be proxies. B)

We may even find that putting an easier to find and use forum links on the home page may enable some of the lesser mortals a chance to check out exactly what to do.

I am a member of several forums for various different activities and I found this one by searching rather than following.

The others were all through face to face contact with other members which differs so much from Geocaching which appears to me as very much individual.

Teaching and sharing is always a better resolution than getting all het up because someone has not abided by the rules.

Rules which they may not understand.

Those of us who have been shown, or have a better grasp have an obligation to help others to enjoy our game or simply leave.

Please take this opportunity to ask how we can help.

If there are thieves then we need to seek the out and offer them a chance for redemption or report them.

At every opportunity, I post links to the Help Center. Most questions can be answered by reading through the articles there. But that's only helpful for folks who come to the forum to ask for help.

Help Center

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php

B.

:rolleyes:

You mean like putting a link on the top menu that clicking it will take you here? It exists. You can click on the word community and it take you here. Or you can hover over the word community and it will drop down with the option of the forums. There's also a link at the very bottom.

Or are you talking about the forums themselves? We have links at the top some subforums including; Specific Rules for Multis? Read First! Geocaching Frequently Asked Questions

We also have a search function. While people may complain about it it really isn't that bad. I'm on another forum that you're told NOT to use the search function because it likely won't work.

If you have a coin that near and dear to your heart, don't put it in a geocache for someone else to take! I would never put my Geo-Achievement coins in a cache, I just share them at events with others.

Besides, I'm finding that there are more experienced cachers stealing trackables/coins than newbies not logging/accidentally keeping trackables/coins. <_<

I don't know why they can't just change the options to plain dadgum english that doesn't confuse anyone new to the game. I know if you think about it the current terminology makes sense, but let's face it...lots of people don't REALLY think about it.

Instead of 'Retrieved' and 'Discovered'...why not just have these?:

1 - I took this trackable from the cache

2 - I saw this trackable but left it in the cache

3 - I put this trackable in the cache

4 - I took this trackable to the cache but did not leave it there

Odd that when we started we didn't ask the most basic questions we often see posed today.

Why? We looked at the convenient and noticeable drop downs on our profile page.

We didn't enter the forums 'til years later. There was no need to.

How about divide the membership into another level. I know there are added benefits for Premium Members, but have Basic membership brought into 2 levels. Level one where they are allowed caches without trackables, and will have to show progress to get to Level 2, to actually seek out a cache with a trackable.

Now I know that there is the chance that a newbie gets the coordinates from a Level 1 (if system goes through) site, and on his way there someone drops off a trackable, and he/she finds it. We cant totally avoid that, but the level 1/2 system, will REDUCE the number of lost objects.

Sometimes Reducing is better then nothing at all, as opposed to waiting for a perfect flawless system. But we don't want to discourage new people from our interests.

Thank you for bringing this forward, ctd. I am intrigued by the idea, perhaps this and a similar pertaining to travelers being made interactive in the fashion of a trivia quiz. Clicking submit would show correct or incorrect answers with the correction. Taking the quizzes would be voluntary, but doing so could be instructive for newbs and children of all ages. Unfortunately, I lack the technical expertise to take this ideal forward, but will also link to this site suggestions thread.

And thank you Brian for putting the guidelines forward in an easy to understand format.

It's not travel bug oriented, but here is briansnat's tongue-in-cheek 20 questions test (originally posted in 2003):

1. It's OK to place food in caches if:

a ) It's well wrapped

b ) it can withstand extremes of temperatures

c ) it tastes good

d ) All of the above

e ) None of the above

2. If you are placing a cache on private property make sure you:

a ) do it late at night so nobody sees you

b ) camoflage it well so the property owner won't find it by accident

c ) ask permission

3. An admin has failed to approve your cache as posted, so you:

a ) post a note in the forums ranting about how unfair the approvers are.

b ) call Jeremy at home and discuss it with him.

c ) Try to work with the approver to determine a way to make it acceptable.

4. When choosing a cache container:

a ) make sure its cheap in case its stolen

b ) make sure its easy to open

c ) make sure it's solid, watertight and an appropriate size.

5. The best places to hide caches are:

a ) in garbage strewn lots under a sheet of rotten plywood

b ) cool spots like railroad tracks, bridges or military installations

c ) in an area that others may find interesting

6. When choosing trade items for your cache:

a ) always use broken toys from the bottom of your kids toy chest since its all about the hunt anyway.

b ) dump discards from your junk drawer in the into the cache

c ) thoughtfully chose items that might be of interest to adults and children

7. When using old food containers as cache containers always:

a ) wipe the inside clean with your t-shirt

b ) shake out the crumbs

c ) run it through several diswhasher cycles and soak it in bleach, Oxy Clean or baking soda for a few days.

8. After placing your cache you should:

a ) leave it be, it will take care of itself

b ) visit it every few years

c ) Perform regular maintenance and respond promptly if someone reports a problem.

9. If a visitor reports a problem with your cache:

a ) post a note asking that the next visitor fix it.

b ) let it go. Some people actually like caches with soaked log books and 2 inches of slimy water inside.

c ) Visit the site at the next possible opportunity to check on the cache

10. If your state park implements rules regarding cache placement, you should:

a ) Ignore them. Rules are for fools.

b ) place a multi with the first leg outside the park

c ) Follow the rules

11. If your 1 difficulty cache has several consecutive "not founds" you should:

a ) Ignore it. They were probably newbies

b ) Ask someone who found it before to check on it for you.

c ) Promptly check for yourself to see if its still there.

12. If you choose not to replace your missing cache:

a ) Leave it active so others can still enjoy the hunt

b ) Disable it and leave it that way for at least 2 years.

c ) Archive the cache

13. If your local park bans geocaching:

a ) screw 'em and place your cache anyway

b ) try to discuss the benefits of geocaching with the park manager

14. When placing a cache deep in the forest:

a ) use a micro and hide it so well, people have to turn over every rock and log to find it.

b ) hide it well enough so it won't be accidently discovered, but so a geocacher can find it.

15. When placing a geocache in a popular city park:

a ) use a big ammo box, stuffed full of goodies

b ) use a PVC pipe, or mortar shell

c ) use a small cache container, or micro and hide it carefully.

16. When placing a cache in an environmentally sensitive area you should:

a ) walk on your tip-toes

b ) forget about it and look elsewhere

17. If you notice social paths and trampled plants around your cache you should:

a ) leave it. It will make it easier for others to find it.

b ) post a note on your cache page asking people to be careful.

c ) move the cache to an area with a more durable surface.

18. If you find a denned bear in the cave where you placed your cache you should:

a ) hide there with a camera and take pictures of the look on people's faces when they see the bear.

b ) grab a stick and drive the bear out of your cave.

c ) disable the cache until the bear has left the den for the season.

19. Your encrypted clue should contain:

a ) Important information about parking, trespassing issues and special equipment that might be required.

b ) Several paragraphs, describing in detail which trails to take to get to the cache.

c ) Information that will help narrow down the search area if the finder is having problems.

20. When placing caches on vacation:

a ) Make sure its placed in an interesting spot

b ) Ask local Geocachers if they mind

c ) just don't do it.