Why was there a need for another reviewer in NJ?

Oreviewer and SkeetSurfer were doing an amazing job, might take a while to get used to this new one.

And are you absolutely certain that SkeetSurfer and Cotton Malone are not both sock puppets of OReviewer? :D

I'd like to nominate Lord Sterling for reviewer of the year, as I've recently heard tales of him carrying 4 completely loaded ammo cans up steep terrain for very long distances... :lol:

...you're reacting negatively to having MORE reviewers? :blink: :blink: :blink:

It might take awhile to "get used to" a new reviewer whether you "need" another one or not.

Yes, that's right.

I could explain at length how Groundspeak orchestrated a very elegant reorganization of reviewer territories stretching from the Jersey shore to the Ohio/Indiana border, involving five existing reviewers and two new ones, in order to balance the workload evenly among the expanded group. But were I to do that, I would be off topic.

Since I am all caught up with my lighter workload, I think I'll go find a couple of geocaches before making dinner.

Oreviewer and SkeetSurfer were doing an amazing job, might take a while to get used to this new one.

I get what you are saying. Though they all follow the same Guidelines they have different interpretations and use their discretion in different ways. It does take a bit to find out what a particular Reviewer will or will not allow. I think we've had four dedicated and several part-time Reviewers for Alabama over the years and they're all quite different. It does take some adjusting when you get a new one.

As to why there was a need, I suspect that it has less to do with geographic size or population and more to do with the number of new listings in the area.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

New Jersey has a current cache density of 1.1/square mile

Two large nearby states:

Pennsylvania: 0.5/square mile

New York: 0.4/square mile

New Jersey is also the most densely populated state in the country.

While simply dealing with the total number of cache submissions is a significant part of a reviewer's workload, proximity and permission issues are time consuming. These become more difficult as numbers of caches, people, and "off limits" areas increase.

To the OP: perhaps if you ever decide to hide a cache in New Jersey you will have a chance to "get used" to whatever reviewer handles your submission.

I've also heard the NJ has the densest cachers too. :rolleyes:

You do not want to go there:

New Jersey is home to more scientists and engineers per square mile than anywhere else in the world

New Jersey has the highest or 2nd highest (haven't seen the 2010 Census data) per capita income in the US

We're smart and well compensated geeks.

Any wonder why there are so many caches (and the need for more reviewer help?)

... might take a while to get used to this new one.

What exactly is there to get used to?

Meet all the guidelines before submitting a cache and maintain the caches that are out there and it shouldn't be a problem.

Honestly, I barely pay attention to who publishes a cache, be it NJ Admin, Pofe, OReviewer, Lord Sterling, SkeetSurfer, etc ... they've all done a great job keeping the queue flowing and answering my hair-brain, loco questions.

Whatever happened to Joy Division?

She was the best! <_<

I get what you are saying. Though they all follow the same Guidelines they have different interpretations and use their discretion in different ways. It does take a bit to find out what a particular Reviewer will or will not allow. I think we've had four dedicated and several part-time Reviewers for Alabama over the years and they're all quite different. It does take some adjusting when you get a new one.

As to why there was a need, I suspect that it has less to do with geographic size or population and more to do with the number of new listings in the area.

I'm sure the problem is volume. From what I see, Cotton Malone seems to be reviewing the caches in North Jersey. Welcome, Cotton Malone. Nice working with you, OReviewer.

In my seven years hiding caches in North Jersey. I've dealt with NJAdmin, Pofe, and OReviewer. Never had dealings with SkeetSurfer or Lord Stirling. (Oh. And one reviewed by Hydee...)

Yes. They do look at things differently. It does take some adjustment. They are hamsters, not robots! (I did have one reviewer who asked me "Do you really want to hide a mystery cache that obtuse?" "YES!!")

Welcome aboard, Cotton. Looking forward to working with you, if I hide any more caches.

...you're reacting negatively to having MORE reviewers? :blink: :blink: :blink:

It might take awhile to "get used to" a new reviewer whether you "need" another one or not.

Yes, that's right.

I could explain at length how Groundspeak orchestrated a very elegant reorganization of reviewer territories stretching from the Jersey shore to the Ohio/Indiana border, involving five existing reviewers and two new ones, in order to balance the workload evenly among the expanded group.

Lord Stirling recently activated a few new caches in Long Island, NY, within a few hours of submission.

New York Admin usually publishes caches within a few hours of submission. So I guess I am "used to" the change.

New Jersey is home to more scientists and engineers per square mile than anywhere else in the world

New Jersey has the highest or 2nd highest (haven't seen the 2010 Census data) per capita income in the US

I've been to every county in NJ, sans three or four in the northwest in the very short time i've been alive. I've slept overnight at 4/5 counties at a hotel, and visit New Jersey regularly. In all honesty? The only reason NJ owns the title of highest population, is Urban Sprawl from New York City, and Philadelphia. Seriously, more then half the state is forest, marshlands, and farmland. I bet if you took out 80% of PA's center (Don't take out Philadelphia Metro Area, PittsBurgh metro area, and Erie) and had a 50/50 metro area/rural area mix, you'd have the same type thing as New Jersey.

And yes, I liev 5 minutes from the New Jersey Border, so I do plan on hiding a geocache there, very soon, I have one "in-the-making".

Edited by Coldgears
In all honesty? The only reason NJ owns the title of highest population, is Urban Sprawl from New York City, and Philadelphia. Seriously, more then half the state is forest, marshlands, and farmland.

And your point is? Does that change the fact that there's a lot of people (and thus a lot of cachers, and thus a lot of caches) in NJ in any way?

In all honesty? The only reason NJ owns the title of highest population, is Urban Sprawl from New York City, and Philadelphia. Seriously, more then half the state is forest, marshlands, and farmland.

And your point is? Does that change the fact that there's a lot of people (and thus a lot of cachers, and thus a lot of caches) in NJ in any way?

That's exactly my beef with New Jersey, lack of geocaches, especially right accross the bridge, seriously, density over Betsy Ross bridge is crude, 5 caches over ben franklin, then you have no caches for miles, huge amounts of untapped parking lots and parks over the burlington bristol bridge, trenton, NJ's capital, 3/4 caches in one small section of the city, then no caches, it's the biggest city in NJ too! Huge lack of caches over I-95.

Most of the caches in NJ are confined to Wharton Forest, and North NJ within 30 miles of New York, and suburbs to the south of Philadelphia. All the caches are confined to one spot. And this spot is nowhere near me. I plan on changing this by hiding a few caches in the Burlington area, to spur up interest in cachers who, hopefully (If all goes as planned) will hide caches of their own for me to find.

Most of the caches in NJ are confined to Wharton Forest, and North NJ within 30 miles of New York, and suburbs to the south of Philadelphia. All the caches are confined to one spot. And this spot is nowhere near me. I plan on changing this by hiding a few caches in the Burlington area, to spur up interest in cachers who, hopefully (If all goes as planned) will hide caches of their own for me to find.

Please don't. One of the things that makes caching in NJ so good is the lack of "lame" caches. (Queue up the LPC debate)

I'm sorry we hold our cache placements to a higher standard. But we like it this way!

That's exactly my beef with New Jersey, lack of geocaches, especially right accross the bridge, seriously, density over Betsy Ross bridge is crude, 5 caches over ben franklin, then you have no caches for miles, huge amounts of untapped parking lots and parks over the burlington bristol bridge, trenton, NJ's capital, 3/4 caches in one small section of the city, then no caches, it's the biggest city in NJ too! Huge lack of caches over I-95.

Umm, Trenton is only the 7th largest City in New Jersey.

Huge amounts of untapped parking lots? Oh, the horror. :o

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I'm glad someone took that bait. :P

Born and bred there in New Brunswick, and proud of it. The first two generations of my family were all there within a few blocks/miles of each other. I escaped to Boston for college, spent the next 10 years between DC and Boston, and then moved south to NC 17 years ago after deciding I had enough of the northeast. There will always be a good bit of Jersey in this boy, I just choose to live elsewhere now. And I certainly enjoy the variety of caches to seek when I return to visit family who are still there.

I too would miss Joy Division if I was there more. :ph34r:

Edited by wimseyguy

And are you absolutely certain that SkeetSurfer and Cotton Malone are not both sock puppets of OReviewer? :D

I'd like to nominate Lord Sterling for reviewer of the year, as I've recently heard tales of him carrying 4 completely loaded ammo cans up steep terrain for very long distances... :lol:

I know him and I can tell you that those tales are an exaggeration. He's never carried more than 3 at a time.

Coldgears, I bet if you took this thread to a Texas caching forum, they'd start looking for a noose. Another reviewer? Oh, the humanity. :laughing:

You do not want to go there[.]

How right you are. I was born at East Orange General and lived in Westfield the first couple years of my life, but we moved (I like to say escaped :grin:) to Atlanta when I was still a toddler. Now that pretty much all the family members we used to visit have either died or moved, I don't have much reason to go back to the Garden State. As aggressive as the drivers were the last time I drove through (not quite as bad as driving through Kabul, but pretty darn close), I don't really feel the need to go back.

That's not true at all.

Muscle has a higher mass and density than fat, so it would appear that there are many non dense people here! Look at the governor.

If they went to the moon, they'd be better off.

Coldgears, I bet if you took this thread to a Texas caching forum, they'd start looking for a noose. Another reviewer? Oh, the humanity. :laughing:

You do not want to go there[.]

How right you are. I was born at East Orange General and lived in Westfield the first couple years of my life, but we moved (I like to say escaped :grin:) to Atlanta when I was still a toddler. Now that pretty much all the family members we used to visit have either died or moved, I don't have much reason to go back to the Garden State. As aggressive as the drivers were the last time I drove through (not quite as bad as driving through Kabul, but pretty darn close), I don't really feel the need to go back.

Westfield is a very nice town! You should go back. The Watchung Reservation has an absolutely insane amount of caches. There were only 11 or 12 when I was last in the area in 2004.

Now that it's mentioned, Lord Stirling published 2 caches in my area late last week. According to the profile, this is simply a name change from Joy Division. What was this so-called dark demise? And I remember this coming up before, because I like Joy Division (the band). :)

Please don't. One of the things that makes caching in NJ so good is the lack of "lame" caches. (Queue up the LPC debate)

I'm sorry we hold our cache placements to a higher standard. But we like it this way!

I have to agree with this. We have our share of LPC's and drive up micro's but I have so many nice caches near me in parks, reservations and in the mountains to keep me busy for years to come. It is easy to avoid the lame ones if needed.

Westfield is a very nice town! You should go back. The Watchung Reservation has an absolutely insane amount of caches. There were only 11 or 12 when I was last in the area in 2004.

I have been spending some time in Watchung lately and have been having a great time. Some really great caches there.

Here Here!! Way to stand up for our great state! Don't let anyone talk trash about us. :lol::rolleyes:

That is because Northern NJ has the best bunch of cachers in the state!! Whoop Whoop!! :ph34r:

I'm pretty sure that that even though I live in PA, I have the right to hide any type of cache I chose to in NJ. I'm not sure about your "higher standards", I found a lame LPC in Gloucester County, Ocean County, Burlington County, Mercer County, Middlesex county, and found a lame parking lot caches that was not a guardrail or LPC in Cape May county, and was surprised to find nothing but great caches in Camden County. In all honesty, I find more caches all around NJ then I do PA, for nearly a half year I had two more NJ counties then PA counties, I now have 1 more PA county then NJ. I just have way more finds in PA because whenever I stop to go to a store I can find a quick parking lot caches, seriously, some parking lots here have 4 - 5 caches. It's crazy! I was NJ was like that.

When do we get to the next station? I need to detrain before the next wreck.

It's not a wreck, not in the least bit. It's a simple conversation about a new reviewer, I actually am surprised how positive the responses are! A mod chipped in about why their was a change of reviewers, people are discussing how other place E.G. texas needed this reviewer remanagement more, their is another side-converstation about why I actually care about it. I consider this a very smooth train-ride with no hiccups! :D

I'm pretty sure that that even though I live in PA, I have the right to hide any type of cache I chose to in NJ. I'm not sure about your "higher standards", I found a lame LPC in Gloucester County, Ocean County, Burlington County, Mercer County, Middlesex county, and found a lame parking lot caches that was not a guardrail or LPC in Cape May county, and was surprised to find nothing but great caches in Camden County. In all honesty, I find more caches all around NJ then I do PA, for nearly a half year I had two more NJ counties then PA counties, I now have 1 more PA county then NJ. I just have way more finds in PA because whenever I stop to go to a store I can find a quick parking lot caches, seriously, some parking lots here have 4 - 5 caches. It's crazy! I was NJ was like that.

NJ isn't like that and we like it that way. Keep your parking lot micros on the west side of the Delaware. We love our long hikes and challenges. Our most favorited cache has only 62 favorites and the 10th most favorited cache here has only 18 favorites. It's not because our caches stink, it's because there are so many good ones that most people can't narrow things down to a few. Where else would a cache like this one only get 15 favorite points or one like this oneonly get nine?

Edited by briansnat