Graveyard caching....what is respectful and what is not?

So I was on Youtube watching some geocaching related videos. I happened to click on one where a fellow was in a graveyard looking for the cache (he did not find it) around a gravestone. He indicated that this was indeed the general area of the cache. Of course in the comments section there was much back and forth....it seems this was a very divided subject. It seems that the crux is not so much that the cache was in a graveyard, but that it was placed in a manner (at the gravestone) that seemed disrespectful to the deceased (i.e. because people are walking over the grave, pawing around the stone and the flower urn, etc.). I have done a few graveyard caches, but they remained well away from any graves (one was in the wrought iron fence, one was...as unusual as it may seem...inside a guardrail, and one was near an exotic tree, but none were anywheres near a grave). So this really got me to wondering what others think is appropriate in regards to graveyard caching, and what is not. What is everyone else's' opinion on the issue?

Brian

Disrespect to me depends on how you view a cemetery. I wouldn't be bothered by it as a bystander if someone was searching for a cache. But I don't view cemeteries as anything more than a storage facility for bodies.

Other people place much more meaning on cemeteries and may have much stronger feelings about what happens in a cemetery and I respect that notion.

As a finder if there are people near by having a private moment I'll come back later (in the rare event I'm somewhere that allows caching in cemeteries). My hobby is not more important than their moment.

Also I tend to avoid ones on headstones or with bad coordinates that may result in searching by headstones mostly because I know how much those suckers cost and I'm not about to be part of any damage caused to them.

In pioneer cemeteries I'm cautious to not disturb stuff to preserve the area.

I've found a few in cemeteries and all but one, in my opinion, was respectful of the surroundings. One cemetery here in Toronto (there may be others) has a "no geocaching" sign at the entrance so perhaps they've had some problems in the past. All that I found were well away from grave sites and in no way would cause other geocachers to trample over or otherwise trespass on private property (the actual grave). The one I didn't think was well planned was a cache hidden only a few steps from the administration offices. This is in a very busy area where mourners would come for information about purchasing or locating a plot. I received a nasty look from a staff member and felt embarrassed the day I attempted it. Maybe it's an okay location but I personally would have placed it elsewhere. I do, however, think the virtual cache I did at one of our best known cemeteries was a great history tour which brought awareness of some of the great people interred there. And a multi I recently did in the same cemetery was well constructed by the CO and also enlightened me.

I've done a few right outside the cemeteries, and one in a natural area next to a cemetery.

One was across the street from the cemetery, even though it was about a lost loved one.

I don't mind them as long as they aren't near enough to bother anyone mourning.

People grieving the loss of their loved ones don't need me around playing a game.

Is it Tuesday already?

I thought this topic came up on Tuesdays?

On our last cemetery attempt, nearby was funeral in process with a young grieving child laying on the freshly packed down grave. We left immediately, not even getting out of the car. We only attempt these if they are away from the actual graves or anyone visiting. I somehow think that the dead like visitors of all kinds but I don't want to bother the living who come there. :(

I've done a few right outside the cemeteries, and one in a natural area next to a cemetery.

One was across the street from the cemetery, even though it was about a lost loved one.

I don't mind them as long as they aren't near enough to bother anyone mourning.

People grieving the loss of their loved ones don't need me around playing a game.

Is it Tuesday already?

I thought this topic came up on Tuesdays?

Holiday schedule.

I like it when a cache brings me to a cemetery. Preferably one of the really old ones. I take a few minutes to read the headstones. I note the dates and try to think about what the world was like when this person was alive.

I don't think it is necessary to hide right among the graves though. In a tree, near the fence, behind the maintenance shed perhaps. And if I am ever there caching while others are visiting I leave. I would never consider interfering with mourners while I am playing a game.

I love cemetery caches (historic cemeteries, at least), although from what I have heard, local reviewers have put their foot down, even on multis that begin with getting numbers from a headstone (that may just be rumor).

But I will say that, while I have no particular reverence for a dead body laid under the soil (I'm sure I walk over the corpses of all sorts of animals and even ancient humans when I'm in the woods), I personally consider each gravesite to be its own little piece of private property (which it may also be legally... not sure) and I would find a cache placed that close to a headstone to be trespassing, whether it is legally so, or not. I would feel very uncomfortable poking around one. I do remember one like that... it was apparently in a low bush near a headstone. I did look for a while, but I decided that I wasn't comfortable, so I left and took a DNF.

I love caches in historic cemeteries but am not thrilled with ones in active cemeteries. In either case I think the caches should not be placed near graves or where they would cause people to walk on them.

I was hunting a cache a few months ago and the GPS pointed to a bush that was planted right next to a head stone. I felt uncomfortable searching so close to a grave and left. I don't get the point of caches like that.

I love cemetery caches (historic cemeteries, at least), although from what I have heard, local reviewers have put their foot down, even on multis that begin with getting numbers from a headstone (that may just be rumor).

But I will say that, while I have no particular reverence for a dead body laid under the soil (I'm sure I walk over the corpses of all sorts of animals and even ancient humans when I'm in the woods), I personally consider each gravesite to be its own little piece of private property (which it may also be legally... not sure) and I would find a cache placed that close to a headstone to be trespassing, whether it is legally so, or not. I would feel very uncomfortable poking around one. I do remember one like that... it was apparently in a low bush near a headstone. I did look for a while, but I decided that I wasn't comfortable, so I left and took a DNF.

I found one here published last year where most of the steps involve going around an active cemetery to gather numbers. The final is just outside the cemetery (literally just outside).

I prefer the historic cemeteries/forgotten cemeteries to active ones. Just more interesting to me. Also in a cache write up it's nice to know why that particular cemetery or step is important. It's one thing to look at a headstone. It's another thing to know the story behind it.

I like the old historic cemeteries, or burial sites that perhaps do not even rise to that level. A fallen headstone, a grave set among wild plants, ancient art work on a piece of stone are all things that make me contemplate the stories that are found in such places. A few of my favorites have been in those locations. But different people draw the line in different ways -- one multi cache in a cemetery ended up in a mausoleum under a fake plant. That seemed a little private and personal, but it is generally well received.

One of my favorite caches is in a columbarium and is a very moving experience. I took other family members there to experience the location and it is on many people's favorite lists, including my own.

The only cemetery caches that we have been to have all been placed outside the boundry. Some were historic, others active cemeteries. We won't search if folk are visiting or a funeral is taking place.

We do enjoy reading the headstones of pioneers from way back when - but still treat them with respect.

After the service at the Cenotaph on Remembrance Day, we place our poppies on the headstone of a fallen serviceman.

So I was on Youtube watching some geocaching related videos. I happened to click on one where a fellow was in a graveyard looking for the cache (he did not find it) around a gravestone. He indicated that this was indeed the general area of the cache. Of course in the comments section there was much back and forth....it seems this was a very divided subject. It seems that the crux is not so much that the cache was in a graveyard, but that it was placed in a manner (at the gravestone) that seemed disrespectful to the deceased (i.e. because people are walking over the grave, pawing around the stone and the flower urn, etc.). I have done a few graveyard caches, but they remained well away from any graves (one was in the wrought iron fence, one was...as unusual as it may seem...inside a guardrail, and one was near an exotic tree, but none were anywheres near a grave). So this really got me to wondering what others think is appropriate in regards to graveyard caching, and what is not. What is everyone else's' opinion on the issue?

Brian

Were you talking about this one?

Probably and most likely not, but its pretty cool.

My log for Whatcom Spirit Quest -- Blaine (GCQZP6)

Cemeteries should be explored, honored and respected. I love finding caches in cemeteries.

icon_smile.gif October 11, 2007 by WRASTRO (3008 found)

It seems strangely appropriate that George's log for this cache did not post the first time and it needs to be recreated. Strange stuff and frustration abound.

George has six family members buried in this cemetery within 200 feet of the cache. George's family came to this area in the late 1800's and have been here ever since. To learn more about the history of Whatcom County and the Palmer family go here:

(visit link)

George was born in the 1950's, many years after his GG Grandfather Whitman died, but the family history is one that is worth remembering and honoring. Whitman and his wife Sarah came to the area in the late 1800's and did whatever was needed to support their family, working in logging camps throughout the northwest and Alaska.

The family homestead, according to anecdotal history was built in the 1890's and has been occupied by members of the family ever since. Indoor plumbing arrived in the late 1950's.

Whitman,Sarah and their children were a part of the community for decades. Mary Ethel, (Aunt Ethel) was a teacher in the Blaine School district for many years. George Carl (Uncle Carl) served in WWI and lived on the family farm throughout most of his adult life. Nellie Pauline (Aunt Nell) led a more adventurous life in Southern California and in Seattle. George was alone with her at the family home in Blaine when she died unexpectedly at the age of 88 while the rest of the family was in Seattle for the weekend.

The last time George was in this cemetery was for Aunt Nells funeral in 1974. The tears are flowing as George writes this log. Many family memories have come to the surface and this is a good thing. Thank you for placing this cache.

Everyone should explore and re-visit their past for the past is a part of what makes us who we are.

Whitman Palmer - 1850-1935

Sarah Jane Palmer - 1853-1926

Nellie Pauline (Palmer) Conway - 1886-1974

George Carl Palmer - 1893-1963

Mary Ethel Palmer - 1894-1967

Mildred Palmer - 1902-1967

Disrespect to me depends on how you view a cemetery. I wouldn't be bothered by it as a bystander if someone was searching for a cache.

Doesn't it depend on how the search takes place? In my area I know of containers that are normal LED candles where the log book is put inside. Even if the candles are placed on

gravestones that belong to the family of the hider, quite often searchers first look at other places and or have a look at other candles and open candles and lanterns. If I am watching someone doing this, I would believe that he is a thief (candles and flowers are stolen from graves as well).

I am unhappy with the fact that hideouts like these LED candles apparently become accepted within the community in my area.

Cezanne

I have a series of caches placed at the remains of a line of defensive fortifications built in 1941 in anticipation of a German invasion. One of the sites is an active cemetery where horizontal slots were cut into the boundary wall to create a machine gun firing position which still exists today. However I placed the cache outside the cemetary so that it could be found without disturbing the bereaved.

Definately NOT on or near gravestones unless you have permission.

Think of it this way... Would you want the general public stamping around on a gravestone of your family??

I'd be pissed if someone was messing around with my father-in-laws gravestone.

Definately NOT on or near gravestones unless you have permission.

Think of it this way... Would you want the general public stamping around on a gravestone of your family??

I'd be pissed if someone was messing around with my father-in-laws gravestone.

I just had this vision of someone digging up a grave and knocking on the coffin. "Excuse me Mr. Deadguy. Can I hide a cache on your headstone?" Of course you may have to perform some kind of voodoo zombie ceremony to get a response. :unsure:

Disrespect to me depends on how you view a cemetery. I wouldn't be bothered by it as a bystander if someone was searching for a cache.

Doesn't it depend on how the search takes place? In my area I know of containers that are normal LED candles where the log book is put inside. Even if the candles are placed on

gravestones that belong to the family of the hider, quite often searchers first look at other places and or have a look at other candles and open candles and lanterns. If I am watching someone doing this, I would believe that he is a thief (candles and flowers are stolen from graves as well).

I am unhappy with the fact that hideouts like these LED candles apparently become accepted within the community in my area.

Cezanne

I wouldn't mind if someone was searching a family headstone. We're not a family that decorates headstones with luminaries, flowers or any other things so there's really nothing to look for like that.

But I know it bothers some people. I'm just saying for me it doesn't bother me to see people doing any activity in a cemetery because of my belief system.

I wouldn't mind if someone was searching a family headstone. We're not a family that decorates headstones with luminaries, flowers or any other things so there's really nothing to look for like that.

But I know it bothers some people. I'm just saying for me it doesn't bother me to see people doing any activity in a cemetery because of my belief system.

I need to admit that regardless of my belief system, I get suspicious if someone is doing strange things and might be a thief and I have heard of thefts in the area. As a consequence I do mind if someone is e.g. looking at all candles in an area around ground zero regardless of my whose gravestones are involved and whether permission has been obtained.

Cezanne

I need to admit that regardless of my belief system, I get suspicious if someone is doing strange things and might be a thief and I have heard of thefts in the area. As a consequence I do mind if someone is e.g. looking at all candles in an area around ground zero regardless of my whose gravestones are involved and whether permission has been obtained.

Cezanne

We only have minor cemetery thefts here (flowers and that stuff). I don't get suspicious about people in cemeteries at all. But I know there are people like you who do and probably a majority of people.

My nonchalant feelings about cemetery activities I know are not in the majority. So people should probably figure out what the norm for the community is to determine what respect means.

I won't debate on whether implicit or explicit permission is the way to go for cemeteries. But I've always been irritated by the lack of consistency between reviewers. No cemetery caches are allowed to be published in Minnesota without explicit permission. Fine. I accept that. But in all of the states surrounding MN, South Dakota, North Dakota, Wisconsin and Iowa, explicit permission is not required. Angry? No. Irritated? Yes. Will I get over it? Long ago.

I once posted NA on a TB hotel that was two feet from a grave and required walking over said grave to find it. But for the most part the graveyard caches I've seen have been pretty respectful.

I see proximity as the problem and not the "walking over" the grave. I suspect the proximity is what bothers you. If walking over the grave site is what bothers you.. not sure what. But I don't see it as a big deal.

I once posted NA on a TB hotel that was two feet from a grave and required walking over said grave to find it. But for the most part the graveyard caches I've seen have been pretty respectful.

I see proximity as the problem and not the "walking over" the grave. I suspect the proximity is what bothers you. If walking over the grave site is what bothers you.. not sure what. But I don't see it as a big deal.

I expect the caretakers mow the grass so they are driving their mowers over the graves all the time. I just don't understand the issue with walking over a grave.

At first I thought visiting cemetaries (to find caches or otherwise) was strange. Then I came to see them as a kind of Memorial Park. They are there to be visited. It is respectful to do so, and to read the headstones and think about the circumstances. It is okay to explore the area, and if a cache is hidden off in a tree or whatever that is fine too. Of course damaging the area or its monuments would be very disrespectful.

However, one must be very careful of anyone else in a cemetary, they may be having a very emotional time, and may not be appreciative of others in the area. If there are others there, leave them in their private moments. Come back later when you can have your private moments, even if you are there for caching more than reflecting.

To be truthful, we have just recently started finding ourselves caching in graveyards and if we have to traipse through graves to get to a hide, we tend to avoid it (or at least feel really bad about it otherwise).

I think you should just be mindful as you can of the surroundings and of the wishes of those around them. If respect is your goal, then be respectful of those around and those that put them there, not just your own moral sensibilities.

I think this somewhat depends on the age, condition, location of the cemetery as well.

I've been to a few that were little more than a few well aged - hard to read - stones with high grass and weeds surrounding them in a little clearing of the forest.

vs

The well manicured and well visited city Cemetery near the downtown area.

People walk over grave regularly to get to where they're going to visit people.

Are you talking about walking over gravestones or do the cemetaries you have in mind look so extremely different to those

I have in mind, see e.g. here

http://www.pfarre-klein-engersdorf.at/FriedhofKE0804141.JPG

There it is not ususal at all to walk over graves of others. Of course you could argue that in former centuries many people will have

been buried in the same piece of earth whose graves do not exist any longer. So in some sense we walk over their graves.

Cezanne

There are many cemetery caches in these parts, and for the most part, the hides in them have been done respectfully. As has been said, it's kind of subjective. These are my PERSONAL rules when caching in a cemetery:

1. I always remove my hat. No idea why, but I was raised to do this to show respect.

2. Don't be there after dark. It's prohibited in most cemeteries rules anyway, probably to curb vandalism and theft.

3. I will not look for a cache ON a gravestone. No, just... no. Reading numbers to get the coordinates for a multi is fine though, especially if the grave itself is of historic interest.

4. I will pass it on by and return another day if there are mourners or a service. The last thing I want to do is upset someone who is grieving. It can always wait for another day.

5. I keep to the beaten path or road until I get near the cache site. I avoid unnecessarily walking over the graves.

That's just me, your opinion of what is and is not respectful may vary.

Are you talking about walking over gravestones or do the cemetaries you have in mind look so extremely different to those

http://www.pfarre-kl...ofKE0804141.JPG

There it is not ususal at all to walk over graves of others. Of course you could argue that in former centuries many people will have

been buried in the same piece of earth whose graves do not exist any longer. So in some sense we walk over their graves.

Cezanne

Your example is very different from the vast majority of cemeteries I have visited. Most are primarily well manicured lawns with headstones and monuments, but not with defined plots and paths.

Your example is very different from the vast majority of cemeteries I have visited. Most are primarily well manicured lawns with headstones and monuments, but not with defined plots and paths.

Thanks. That explains a lot. I have visited a lot of cemeteries, but actually all of them have been in Europe (of course not all of them look like my example, but defined paths are quite typical in many places). I cannot recall to have visited any cemeteries when I was in the US.

Cezanne

I'm relatively new to caching but I do enjoy the "restin' in" cemetery caches. Most of the caches I have found have been outside or on the boundaries of the cemetery -- with the exception of one. This particular one I didn't feel bad about finding because my grandparents are buried in the cemetery and used to walk through it on my way back and forth to school. As I read the other posts you can see that there is a wide range of attitudes towards this and I don't think everyone will ever agree -- I don't particularly like spinning daisies and bent over gardeners in a cemetery but maybe that's just me ;)

I usually try and pay my respects and visit the graves and read about individual stories -- and find that to be incredibly interesting!

I think if everyone approaches with respect that's the best everyone can hope for.

I will say, however, that it has given me a new idea for my headstone though ...

Thanks. That explains a lot. I have visited a lot of cemeteries, but actually all of them have been in Europe (of course not all of them look like my example, but defined paths are quite typical in many places). I cannot recall to have visited any cemeteries when I was in the US.

Cezanne

Same here there's no defined path. Usually the graves are further apart here as well too. But it's more like a lawn with headstones in it (in some order relatively speaking). Some cemeteries where I live don't allow above ground head stones either so you really have no idea where you are unless you're really watching headstones carefully. They do that so they can just mow over the stones and the graves in one fell swoop.

Though there are some cemeteries that are more like the one in your picture in the US I know. They're just not as common.

I have become more comfortable caching in cemeteries over the past couple years, but I still feel uncomfortable traipsing through the middle of an active cemetery in order to play a game. Abandoned cemetery, that's fine, and on the edge of a graveyard, that's fine, too, but I think it's disrespectful to hide a cache in the middle of an active cemetery, two feet from a headstone, without permission, and hidden in a spot that requires me to squat down in front of someone's headstone and rummage through a bush.

Others can feel free to walk over, dance on, or micturate on grave sites when caching if it floats your boat. Not me. And I think that hiding caches like that make it more likely to get cemetery caches banned as a rule.

Cezanne

Cemeteries here in the US are more likely to look something like this.

10098_113866368241.jpg

Cezanne

Cemeteries here in the US are more likely to look something like this.

10098_113866368241.jpg

If the distances between the graves are relatively large, I can more easily imagine that it is possible to avoid disrespectful actions while searching for a cache.

When I read "walking over graves" I was having in mind that people put up their feet on the stone part of the graves - not walking over grass.

Imagine a cache hidden in a cemetery of the type shown in my example and suppose that the cache is an LED candle in one of the lanterns on one of the graves (such caches do exist in my area and they are not recognizable from the cache description). Back when Erik has been reviewer in Austria, such caches did not have a chance, but has changed.

As the graves are so close to each other, it can very easily happen that people first search on a wrong grave and thus it does not even help of the cache is hidden on the grave of belonging to the family of the hider. To make things worse, caches here are often multi caches and the coordinates are obtained in a longer process in the course of which mistakes can happen. I need to admit that this type of caches really leaves me with uncomfortable feelings though I do enjoy to have a walk on cemeteries and I'am not contra cemetery caches per se.

Walking over the grass and walking along the trails is something also non-cachers will do on cemeteries. Stepping up to grave stones to inspect the contents of laterns is however nothing one is normally doing. It is a behaviour that does not fit into the behaviour of normal visitors of cemeteries. I guess that this aspect is one that plays an essential role for me in distinguishing between appropriate and non-appropriate ways of caching on cemeteries.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

Two of my earliest cache were at historic cemeteries (both found on the same day). One was located out side the fence. I think this cemetery is still in use. The other one was not in use anymore and had a shelter and a large information display. We had to read the display and get clue to figure out the coordinates that took us back out side the fence to the parking area where the cache was located. It was a very informative cache.

I love caches in historic cemeteries but am not thrilled with ones in active cemeteries. In either case I think the caches should not be placed near graves or where they would cause people to walk on them.

I was hunting a cache a few months ago and the GPS pointed to a bush that was planted right next to a head stone. I felt uncomfortable searching so close to a grave and left. I don't get the point of caches like that.

I feel the same way. Our local reviewer has a note on their page stating that caches should be placed at the edge of cemeterys, and not in them around headstones. I found a real nice historical cache, but the container is behind a headstone of another person in a very active cemetery, quite sure permission has not been granted, but that local reviewer must not give a hoot because they were contacted about the listing.

My first experience at a cemetery cache was quite unnerving, I felt very uncomfortable and intrusive. It was set up in a small planter box adjacent to the headstone. But in the write-up, the CO invited cachers to say hello to their departed family member, envisioning that he would like the company. Since then, I have been to MANY cemetery caches, and with very few exceptions, all have been done with respect to the residents interred therein. So much history is available to be learned from some of the older cemeteries; it's a shame that most of us never encounter it other than through our hobby.

Recently while on a road trip with friends, we visited the resting places of Tom Landry, Stevie Ray Vaghan, Mickey Mantle, Bonnie Parker and Lee Harvey Oswald. At each grave, we reflected on the impact these people had during their lifetime. If not for caching, it's unlikely I would have ever had the experience of visiting these famous and infamous sites.