EarthCaches...

Johnny And Jewels

I read the description on EarthCaches but I still dont understand what they are. Are they physical containers or a location we take a picture at, or both? Help is appreciated. We will be headed to an area with a ton of EarthCaches.

No. They are not physical containers. They are places you will have to visit. Earth caches talk about geoology, with users creating earthcaches in order for people to visit a scenic(usually) place and answer questions/take a picture in order to prove you were at the location. DO NOT post the answers to the questions (if any) in your log. Simply contact the ECO with the answers. Hope this helpS! :anibad:

EDIT: The word "virtual" might be misleading. changed.

Edited by sword fern
  • Upvote 1

To clear up something Sword Fern said, requiring cachers to post pictures is no longer allowed except for very rare occasions but it can not be required to include the cacher. The EC owner can ask you to post one, but if you do not wish to post a pic they cannot deny your find as long as you answer their questions posted on the cache page.

Earthcaches are a great learning experience for all ages, it is amazing what you see - and quite often you see more as you are prompted to do so by the cache owner.

I had no idea what an "Armored Till Ball" was until a recent Earthcache, and found out about a glacial kettle at another.

To clear up something Sword Fern said, requiring cachers to post pictures is no longer allowed except for very rare occasions but it can not be required to include the cacher. The EC owner can ask you to post one, but if you do not wish to post a pic they cannot deny your find as long as you answer their questions posted on the cache page.

So I won't need to post a picture now if the earth cache requests one? I will be doing an earth cache this weekend, and it does ask for a picture. Do I still need to do that, or can I just submit the answers to the questions? TIA.

Liz

So I won't need to post a picture now if the earth cache requests one? I will be doing an earth cache this weekend, and it does ask for a picture. Do I still need to do that, or can I just submit the answers to the questions? TIA.

Liz

If the earthcache asks for a picture its a good idea to submit one. The guidelines were change recently because some earthcache owners were relying primarily on a picture. The purpose of an EarthCache is to learn something about Geology or related earth science. The questions and/or photos are suppose to be part of this educational experience. Asking for a photo sole to serve as "proof" that someone visited the cache location is no longer allowed. A photo that is part of the educational experience (such as taking a picture that demonstrates you understood the geologic phenomenon featured by the cache) is allowed.

Liz

If the earthcache asks for a picture its a good idea to submit one. . . . A photo that is part of the educational experience (such as taking a picture that demonstrates you understood the geologic phenomenon featured by the cache) is allowed.

It is not quite that simple. The earthcache guidelines make clear that photos are almost entirely optional. There is a limited exception if the "requested photograph is related to an Earth Science logging activity such as recording a phenomenon." But the earthcache coordinator, geoaware, has made clear how limited this exception is. He explained that an acceptable photo would be to document the arrival of a tidal bore, holding a watch in the picture to record the time. However, a picture of a formation or a phenomenon that can be recorded in some other way is not mandatory. "Bottom line is that it will require a exceptional circumstance . . . to allow a photograph to be taken as a logging task."

However, I agree that is a good idea to submit one if you are comfortable doing so. Some listings explicitly state that the photo is optional but may be necessary to save the log if there is a problem with the answers. Some earthcache owners apply this same thing in practice. I once logged a cache that asked you to take an elevation reading with your gpsr. The log was rejected because the reading with my gpsr was not within 25 feet of the owner's unit, so even though I answered the logging question as asked, the log would have been deleted. The owner allowed it to stand because I had included a picture of myself at the earthcache site.

When I answer the questions for an earthcache that asks for a photo, I note that I am uploading the "optional photo" with my log. However, if you are not comfortable doing so, and your log is deleted, you can appeal to Groundspeak and your log is almost certain to be reinstated.

Edited by mulvaney

Although a picture is not required, we would still want you to consider posting one if you are comfortable doing so.

Earth caches are not as easy to create and get approved as some other types such as a LPC as an example.

The point being, just because it is not required should not mean you should avoid posting pictures for ECs.

Happy caching! -hawkeyetob

There is a lot of good advice here.

It is always nice, as a cache owner, to get a picture. However you do not have to post a picture if you do not wish to.

If you have a reason not to post a photo then make sure you respond to the rest of the logging tasks. If they gave an argument I might email them back and point out the no photo requirement, but beyond that I would not take the time to argue with them. If the cache owner gives you any issues (arguments or deleting logs) send an email to Groundspeak. Most likely it will be looked at by the geoaware reviewing group, and they will address it.

Edited by BlueRajah

Thanks for all the answers. We now have 13 earth caches under our belt. As for the pictures go, we weren't required to submit a single one.

Wow. You must live in an area with a lot of Earthcaches. We have a few around here and whenever I travel I always look for interesting earthcaches and virtuals. I almost always learn something new and in fact the very definition of an earthcache is to provide "... an Earth Science lesson through a visit to a unique geological site". Probably the most interesting one I've ever done is located less than a mile from where I live and asks those that do it to find a fossil, describe what kind it is, and take a photo of it. It actually turned out to be one of the easiest earthcaches I've done as it only took about five minutes of turning over rocks to find a fossil.

Although a picture is not required, we would still want you to consider posting one if you are comfortable doing so.

Earth caches are not as easy to create and get approved as some other types such as a LPC as an example.

The point being, just because it is not required should not mean you should avoid posting pictures for ECs.

Happy caching! -hawkeyetob

I can attest to this. Our EC got rejected for corrections and additions 3 times prior to publication, and to be honest, ours is fairly simple compared to a lot of the ones we've seen. In the end, I'm glad it did, because we learned a lot putting it together, and hopefully, finders will learn a bit from it as well.

Thanks for all the answers. We now have 13 earth caches under our belt. As for the pictures go, we weren't required to submit a single one.

Wow. You must live in an area with a lot of Earthcaches. We have a few around here and whenever I travel I always look for interesting earthcaches and virtuals. I almost always learn something new and in fact the very definition of an earthcache is to provide "... an Earth Science lesson through a visit to a unique geological site". Probably the most interesting one I've ever done is located less than a mile from where I live and asks those that do it to find a fossil, describe what kind it is, and take a photo of it. It actually turned out to be one of the easiest earthcaches I've done as it only took about five minutes of turning over rocks to find a fossil.

Ever been to Mackinac Island, MI? We don't live there now, but we lived and worked there from May '10 to August '10 and got 13 of the 17 earthcaches there. I really do like them because like you said, you learn something new every time. There are tons of geological points of interest on Mackinac so that is why there are so many ECs there. And each one is just as cool as the next.

Wow! I've been caching for almost 10 years, and I only have about 32 Earthcaches. ;) You guys sound like you're having fun. :)

Oh yes we are. We have pretty much run out of caches to do in our area though, and we don't have much time to travel so we are going through sort of a lull right now which is sad :tired:

Ever been to Mackinac Island, MI? We don't live there now, but we lived and worked there from May '10 to August '10 and got 13 of the 17 earthcaches there. I really do like them because like you said, you learn something new every time. There are tons of geological points of interest on Mackinac so that is why there are so many ECs there. And each one is just as cool as the next.

Never been to Mackinac Island but I had a travel bug that went there once. I've been to Michigan many times but never left Detroit airport so I have yet to find a cache in that state. I was in Rome last week and had printed off listings for four different Earthcaches I had hoped to visit. As it turned out I was quite busy working all week and never did get a chance to do any geocaching. I did get to the location of one of the Earthcaches (at Spanish Steps) but I was with two others that were not geocachers (my boss, and his boss) and didn't have the required piece of equipment necessary to complete the requirements.

I have a question regarding Earthcaches. When you go to the site, follow the directions and answer the questions asked, do you log in the earthcache as "found it" on your profile? or do you have to email the ECO the answers and then they log the EC as found for you?

Some earthcache owners require you to send them the answers first and wait for their approval before logging a find.

I have a question regarding Earthcaches. When you go to the site, follow the directions and answer the questions asked, do you log in the earthcache as "found it" on your profile? or do you have to email the ECO the answers and then they log the EC as found for you?

Some earthcache owners require you to send them the answers first and wait for their approval before logging a find.

When you go to complete an earthcache should you email the owner first to see how they prefer to log it in?

When you go to complete an earthcache should you email the owner first to see how they prefer to log it in?

Just do whatever they ask on the cache page. On many EC descriptions it states that your log will be deleted if you log a Find before sending your answers. If nothing is said on the cache page you can do it in any order you like. Regarding pictures, try to post one, not only on earth caches but on all interesting cache locations. They are great for reference and to look at years later....I may have a thousand or more in my gallery. I just can't understand the aversion of so many to having their picture taken....most profiles have some icon or weird photo where a photo of the cacher would have been very helpful putting faces to cacher names over the years. I mean, I've gotten old and pretty much avoid mirrors but it is what it is.

With regards to permission to log please have a look here: http://www.geosociety.org/earthcache/faq.htm

under the endless header "As an EarthCache owner, can I use an “auto-response” e-mail account or a third-party website to check logging task answers and provide people with permission to post their logs to my EarthCaches?"

"1. People do not need to wait for permission to log your EarthCache. Requiring someone to wait is not supported by the EarthCache guidelines. People should send their logging task answers to you, then log your EarthCache. When you review their logging task answers, if there is a problem, you should contact them to resolve it. If there is no problem, then their log simply stands."

Mrs. Terratin

With regards to permission to log please have a look here: http://www.geosociety.org/earthcache/faq.htm

under the endless header "As an EarthCache owner, can I use an “auto-response” e-mail account or a third-party website to check logging task answers and provide people with permission to post their logs to my EarthCaches?"

"1. People do not need to wait for permission to log your EarthCache. Requiring someone to wait is not supported by the EarthCache guidelines. People should send their logging task answers to you, then log your EarthCache. When you review their logging task answers, if there is a problem, you should contact them to resolve it. If there is no problem, then their log simply stands."

Mrs. Terratin

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that.

Still, I try to comply with what the CO wants.....in some cases it reads very threatening and I'm afraid in addition to deleting my find they may come for my first borne . :)

Seriously, severely worded cache logging descriptions ( or strange convoluted requirements ) have caused us to skip a few earth caches.

Still, I try to comply with what the CO wants.....in some cases it reads very threatening and I'm afraid in addition to deleting my find they may come for my first borne . :)

Seriously, severely worded cache logging descriptions ( or strange convoluted requirements ) have caused us to skip a few earth caches.

I know what you mean. Why would you want to do a cache where you read underneath:

LOGS WITHOUT PERMISSION OR WITH WRONG ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY!

:blink:

Mrs. Terratin

I know what you mean. Why would you want to do a cache where you read underneath:

LOGS WITHOUT PERMISSION OR WITH WRONG ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY!

:blink:

Mrs. Terratin

There are ways to deal with that. Submit you info and log at the same time if it is deleted do two things.

1. File and appeal at appeals@geocaching.com quoting the official guideline from the website. The log may be reinstated and locked.

2. Write a NA log also quoting the official guideline and at some point the CO have to either remove that of have his cache forcibly archived.

I don't take such severe language seriously in any cache description, even (well, "especially" might be the better word) if I have reason to think the CO was actually serious.

But, at the same time, I have also skipped a few of those EarthCaches because I've noticed such serious language often implies serious time and effort to gather the necessary information, and it makes me suspect that the CO won't give the normal latitude for weak answers which would be a downer if I went to the time and effort, but then couldn't sort out some needed detail.

On 12/19/2013 at 10:39 AM, DoverRamCachers said:

Thank you!

I've read the above and below comments in regards to logging an Earth Cache and have a better understanding of what to do next time. I recently did my first Earth Cache and waited on a response from the ECO before logging, but I think I would have been okay to go ahead and log it at the time I sent the answers. Thanks for all the info!

1 hour ago, Savannalea said:

I've read the above and below comments in regards to logging an Earth Cache and have a better understanding of what to do next time. I recently did my first Earth Cache and waited on a response from the ECO before logging, but I think I would have been okay to go ahead and log it at the time I sent the answers. Thanks for all the info!

Yes -- there's no requirement to wait for cache owner approval.  I'll typically send in my answer and log my find right around the same time, same as with virtual caches. 

As for the earthcaches we own, I try to get back to people as soon as I can to confirm their responses (or let them know something they didn't quite get right), but I don't expect people to wait for my response to log their finds.  Most don't wait and go ahead and log their finds right away, which is fine with me.

2 hours ago, nextlogicalstep said:

What if you get the answers wrong? I considered doing one a couple weeks ago since I was already walking by its GZ doing traditionals in the area, but really wasn't sure of the answers.

Make your best try and send the answers to the CO.  The object of the exercise is to learn something.  If I get answers which are not correct or only partially correct I won't deny the find if there has been a genuine attempt to understand.  I will reply with the correct answer, so the object has been achieved

• Upvote 4
3 hours ago, nextlogicalstep said:

What if you get the answers wrong? I considered doing one a couple weeks ago since I was already walking by its GZ doing traditionals in the area, but really wasn't sure of the answers.

A well written EarthCache should teach you sufficiently well that you have what you need to get the answers right.

That still requires you of course to invest the requisite amount of effort to use the provided materials to achieve that objective.

I tend to nudge people in the direction of any learnings that they've missed - so long as it's obvious they have tried their best - rather than just hand them the correct answers because I want to know that actual learning took place.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, nextlogicalstep said:

The CO will then let you know (or not).

Worst case scenario, your log gets deleted.

I also send answers and log at about the same time, never had a problem (same goes for virtuals).

On 12/21/2013 at 2:38 PM, fuzzybelly said:

I haven't done many earthcaches but I always log the "found it" then send in my answers to the CO. Never had any issues or logs deleted, nor have I been asked to clarify an answer I gave.

Come to think of it, that must mean I got 100% on all my tests :) that's NEVER happened for me.

Thats because 99.9 % of ECO's aren't out to be difficult. As long as you go to the location, and give your best effort to answer the questions, you won't have any issues. :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

Make your best try and send the answers to the CO.  The object of the exercise is to learn something.  If I get answers which are not correct or only partially correct I won't deny the find if there has been a genuine attempt to understand.  I will reply with the correct answer, so the object has been achieved

+1. 

2 minutes ago, Team Microdot said:

Out of idle curiosity...

If the objective is for learning to take place, how does simply handing over the correct answer act as confirmation that the objective has been achieved?

"If I get answers which are not correct or only partially correct I won't deny the find if there has been a genuine attempt to understand."

23 minutes ago, Team Microdot said:

Out of idle curiosity...

If the objective is for learning to take place, how does simply handing over the correct answer act as confirmation that the objective has been achieved?

Because in the end learning is the objective. Someone who made an attempt, and then open discussion with ECO takes place, and then answers are discussed-objective met. 

1 minute ago, SeattleWayne said:

Because in the end learning is the objective. Someone who made an attempt, and then open discussion with ECO takes place, and then answers are discussed-objective met. 

That isn't what I asked and doesn't relate to what you said in your previous post.

In your previous post you made no reference to discussion - simply :

I will reply with the correct answer, so the object has been achieved

So the question still stands.

21 minutes ago, Team Microdot said:

An attempt to understand isn't the same thing as proof that learning has taken place.

Ha. That sums up some of my coworkers.

As an owner if an Earthcache. I view it is a best attempt to complete the objectives. I've received some wrong answers, but I can tell the attempt was there.