Are we not Newbies anymore?

So after 5 months, 300+ finds and one multi hide under our belts, are we officially non-newbies or do we need to experience the mud, bugs and folliage of spring and summer to graduate?

Why are you asking??

I was called a newbie for a very long time, every time I offered an opinion someone didn't like.

I haven't been called a newbie for a while. Now they just don't like my opinions for no reason. :laughing::lol:

I'm really not sure what it matters.

I guess after 100 finds you're not much of a newbie anymore. After 100 finds I was starting to figure it out.

It's all relative, and I don't think it really matters.

You are a newbie exactly as long as it takes you to not be one.

Combination of time, experience, travel, variety. When I started, getting to 100 finds made you some kind of Geocaching legend and experienced guru. These days that might take an afternoon. A few hundred finds these days likely leaves many in newbie territory. I'd say that caching in all seasons and a variety of weather is likely necessary for anybody to not be a newbie. But I'm not you.

Hi, my name is dfx, and I'm a newbie.

Yeah, we've got a whole month and change on you. LOL n00b :lol:

(Side note: until today, I thought your avatar was an old guy with a moustache at a turntable, not a penguin. Learn something new every day.)

I have 250 finds and consider myself a newbie, especially when I dnf a 1/1.

I'm not a newbie and DNFing a 1/1 is possible... When you get out there and find enough sneaky hides as I have, you begin to think that all hides are sneaky... I almost DNFed a bison hanging in plain sight on a wire fence, but luckily my girlfriend was there to pick up my slack...

Oh, and the hide was this one: http://coord.info/GC2EP4X

You have to be given an atomic wedgie at an event with more than 27 people present before you are moved up from the Newbie status. :lol: Anyone who joined after me is a newbie. Just as I am a newbie to the people who joined before me. I really don't believe that but if I had to put a status on Newbieness that's what I would use to gauge the Newbieness of a Newbie. Get me. :lol:

Newbieness is a state of mind. If you think you are, or you think you are not, you are correct.
I agree with half of this.

I'm sure forum regulars can all think of at least a couple examples of obvious newbies coming into the forums and offering up their solutions to "What's Wrong with Geocaching" as if they were experts on the subject.

So, while if you think you are a newbie, you are, but if you think you aren't a newbie, you might just be delusional. :unsure:

I have 250 finds and consider myself a newbie, especially when I dnf a 1/1.

Yup. I'm still a newbie. I DNFed a 1.5/2, 1.5/1 and a 1/1 last weekend. Not to mention the 1.5/1 DNF from the previous week. Next cacher couldn't find it either, so he threw down something nearby, and claimed a find. Being a newbie, I never thought of waiting until someone else threw down a throw down! That'll teach ne.

So after 5 months, 300+ finds and one multi hide under our belts, are we officially non-newbies or do we need to experience the mud, bugs and folliage of spring and summer to graduate?

Do finds define who is a newbie? You already have more finds than me.

El Diablo

Do finds define who is a newbie? You already have more finds than me.

El Diablo

Now I'm curious, what got you to log a find today after 3 years?

I KNOOOW I'm still a newbie, even with 300+ finds and 9 hides.

How do I know? Because I still do things like DNF a 1.5/1.5 REGULAR cache in the middle of an urban park. (The CO did a maintenance check the very next day--it's still there.)

Repeating what everyone else has said--I won't be a newbie when I no longer feel like one.

Until you find at least two puzzles[unknown cache], you're still a newbie. :laughing:

Why are you asking??

I was called a newbie for a very long time, every time I offered an opinion someone didn't like.

I haven't been called a newbie for a while. Now they just don't like my opinions for no reason. :laughing::lol:

I guess after 100 finds you're not much of a newbie anymore. After 100 finds I was starting to figure it out.

Okay I have to edit my reply.

I just gave an opinion someone didn't like on a cache page and they berated me up one side and down the other saying, how dare I question their difficulty level on the cache when I've only been doing this two years (and only have found 1250 caches)?!?!

So I guess every time I say something someone doesn't like, for the rest of my life, I'll still be a newbie. :laughing::rolleyes:

I guess it's supposed to be an insult. I'm not sure.

Why are you asking??

I just gave an opinion someone didn't like on a cache page and they berated me up one side and down the other saying, how dare I question their difficulty level on the cache when I've only been doing this two years (and only have found 1250 caches)?!?!

So I guess every time I say something someone doesn't like, for the rest of my life, I'll still be a newbie. :laughing::rolleyes:

That's funny. I never answered your original question (why do we care). It was originally a question that was spawned by another thread that was discussing if noobs should be allowed to hide a cache.

I think it's funny you posted this, S-n-B, cuz your multi is one of the caches on my "must do soon" list based on the feedback from the local geocachers that have attempted/found it! You are definitely no longer a newbie. End of discussion. Next topic please! ;)

Why are you asking??

That's funny. I never answered your original question (why do we care). It was originally a question that was spawned by another thread that was discussing if noobs should be allowed to hide a cache.

Well then I guess as long as I say things people don't like I can't hide caches.

As of this month, seems I'm a newbie again.

There goes the puzzle cache series I was planning.

:anibad: