Groundspeak Lifetime Membership

TerraViators

If GS offered a lifetime membership, would you take advantage of it? Maybe even 10 year memberships. I definitely would subscribe to it. I'm 40, so let's say I plan to cache for 25-30 more years. That would be $750 - $900 to renew annually at the current rate. I'd definitely purchase a lifetime membership for $500-600 dollars. That gives GS more cash flow, more interest-earning income potential, and less paperwork.

Edited by TerraViators

If GS offered a lifetime membership, would you take advantage of it? Maybe even 10 year memberships. I definitely would subscribe to it. I'm 40, so let's say I plan to cache for 25-30 more years. That would be $750 - $900 to renew annually at the current rate. I'd definitely purchase a lifetime membership for $500-600 dollars. That gives GS more cash flow, more interest-earning income potential, and less paperwork.

I definitely would not at this time even though I'm only 55. Things like this don't hold my attention long enough to commit to something like a lifetime membership. Not real happy with the direction I see it going either.

How does reducing your overall long term payment mean more money for Groundspeak? It just means more money for them NOW, but less in the long run

If you read my post, I never mentioned that if gives GS more money. I stated that it gives them more money now that can earn interest and increase cash flow. Also, what if I decided I want nothing more to do with the game after 5 years. Well, they got $600 from me instead of $150.

How does reducing your overall long term payment mean more money for Groundspeak? It just means more money for them NOW, but less in the long run

If you read my post, I never mentioned that if gives GS more money. I stated that it gives them more money now that can earn interest and increase cash flow. Also, what if I decided I want nothing more to do with the game after 5 years. Well, they got $600 from me instead of $150.

Right. But I suspect the money will be more needed by Groundspeak later, if Geocaching suddenly becomes less popular with the mainstream crowd. All depends if Geocaching is going to keep growing, or suffer a MySpace moment later.

On the other hand, it would be nice to have some [ LIFETIME ] badge on our profile pics / forum titles to indicate we ponied up big bucks to keep the site going today.

I'd go for a two-year discounted membership.

$500 is a HUGE amount of money to me!

Agreed that $500 is alot to some and pocket change to others. I paid $750 for a lifetime membership to my fraternity. That basically gets me a lifetime membership card and pin, the monthly publications, email notices, automatic alumni association memebership and I can attend fraternity meeting and vote. I don't do any of it. I would do much more with a GS lifetime membership.

Lifetime hunting and fishing licenses are fairly expensive, but folks gobble them up, also.

It would definitely be a chunk of change to throw down at one time. But, maybe they could do a lifetime membership and something like 3 or 4 installments over a year.

In a heartbeat, in fact, I have suggested this before. Even raising the price suggested in this thread it would still probably attract a significant number of users.

The lifetime subscription to QST magazine I have, a mag for the Amateur Radio crowd, is a little over $1500 vs. $39 a year to subscribe.

With the collapse of the middle east and our own internal strife, there's not a chance that I would do a lifetime unless it was so unbeliavably cheap, you'd be stupid to pass it up. But our current world events are a precursor to WW3 so I am spending my money on duct tape and bottled water. :ph34r::ph34r:

So, you wanna go out caching with me this weekend and grab everything? Might be our last chance.

Don't platinum members have a lifetime subscription.?

It'd be a miracle if this ridiculous notion of a platinum membership ever died. Thanks for railroading another topic.

If anybody is railroading the topic, it's you with your ridiculous, off-topic political commentary.

Sounds like someone's jealous that he didn't get in on the platinum membership.

It'd be a miracle if this ridiculous notion of a platinum membership ever died. Thanks for railroading another topic.

If anybody is railroading the topic, it's you with your ridiculous, off-topic political commentary.

What the heck is platinum membership?? I've never heard of it.

With the collapse of the middle east and our own internal strife, there's not a chance that I would do a lifetime unless it was so unbeliavably cheap, you'd be stupid to pass it up. But our current world events are a precursor to WW3 so I am spending my money on duct tape and bottled water. :ph34r::ph34r:

Don't forget the ammo..... :ph34r:

I've been doing this for more than seven years now, which is longer than almost any other hobby I have so I don't think it will be my interest that wanes. However, the price would have to be quite cheap for me to consider "investing" in any web company for the long term.

I'm quite happy paying on an annual basis as it gives me more flexibility:

- IF my interests or health changes I can quit paying.

- If Groundspeak starts doing things I don't agree with I can stop paying.

- If the hobby becomes overrun with power trails I can stop paying.

- If the local caching community changes and isn't as friendly as they are now...

etc, etc

I was wondering the same thing.

I was wondering the same thing.

A recurring joke that railroaded the topic. Although a lifetime membership would be platinum in a number of ways.

Edited by mulvaney

I am having a difficult time committing to the idea of another years worth of membership at this time as the services I am paying for are not necessarily services I use and I feel that handing money over to this business would be akin to opening up my wallet at Walgreens corporate and saying "Hey you don't offer me anything I need but here's some money anyways."

I may consider doing a reduced rate 2 year membership. But even then I'm weighing the service I'm paying for. Is it really worth the money to me or could it be better spent on travel bugs or stuff from their store? When I buy a membership realistically they lose a sale there for me too. And really I know I get enjoyment out of the stuff I buy from them.

Anyhow that's how I view it.

I am having a difficult time committing to the idea of another years worth of membership at this time as the services I am paying for are not necessarily services I use and I feel that handing money over to this business would be akin to opening up my wallet at Walgreens corporate and saying "Hey you don't offer me anything I need but here's some money anyways."

I may consider doing a reduced rate 2 year membership. But even then I'm weighing the service I'm paying for. Is it really worth the money to me or could it be better spent on travel bugs or stuff from their store? When I buy a membership realistically they lose a sale there for me too. And really I know I get enjoyment out of the stuff I buy from them.

Valid point, however, at least with a membership, you get something that will last more than a month, unlike TB's which disappear like roaches when you turn on the lights.

Actually there is this thing called deferred revenue, which is considered a liability until it becomes relevant to the business at hand, such as a payment received for work that has not yet been performed.

In other words, the revenue for future membership benefits cannot be recognized until those benefits are being used.

Actually there is this thing called deferred revenue, which is considered a liability until it becomes relevant to the business at hand, such as a payment received for work that has not yet been performed.

In other words, the revenue for future membership benefits cannot be recognized until those benefits are being used.

If it were me, I'd take my chances.

A bit off-topic, but let's say you have a family of four, and each memeber wants an individual account. Why not offer a family-pak for $100 instead of $120. Seems that would also generate revenue. I know several family cachers who say they would be willing to paid for individual memberships if there was a price break.

I'd do it in a heartbeat even if it was $1000 or more. Even if I don't live long enough to get my "value" out of it I would hope others would benefit.

Me too.

Well, maybe not a thousand, but 500 I would do, for the reasons stated above.

Reminds me of when I bought a life memberships in USCF, some 30 years ago.

At the time they were begging people to do it, because they were in a cash crisis. About a year ago, there was a push by some to reneg on the life memberships, because we were freeloading on the "paying" members.

I support:

Public libraries

State Parks

Animal shelters

Natural food co-ops (Remember those?)

and geocaching

I don't necessarily look at any of them in cost per year to determine how much they benefit me.

You say "the services I am paying for are not necessarily services I use" yet it is a rare day that you do not play in Off Topic, a moderated forum provided as a benefit to Premium members. ;)

Any one of the services available through Premium membership is well worth the membership fee to me, and yes if I could get them even cheaper per annum by buying a lifetime membership I would.

Lets face it. The monopoly won't last forever, its clear that GS is fearing that now (yeah, I know, separate discussion).

So, that raises questions...

How pissed will you be when a yearly membership drops from $30 to $12/year. Would you want your "lifetime membership" to be prorated?

How will you feel when GS is no longer the largest site out there? Would you expect a refund?

What will your reaction be if GS drops geocaching, in favor of Waymarking, Wherigo, or what ever other concepts they think people want? Remember, your "membership" includes all of GS's sites, not just geocaching.

You say "the services I am paying for are not necessarily services I use" yet it is a rare day that you do not play in Off Topic, a moderated forum provided as a benefit to Premium members. ;)

Any one of the services available through Premium membership is well worth the membership fee to me, and yes if I could get them even cheaper per annum by buying a lifetime membership I would.

Off Topic to me is not worth $30/year. If my membership lapsed I wouldn't particularly miss it. I look at the value of what I'm getting and really favorites and off topic forum are not worth $30 to me and that's mainly what I use. $30 can get me a handful of travel bugs which I would use. But that's just me. Which is why I'm looking at this year by year. This year I'll probably renew but at each year goes on and there aren't any new bells and whistles added that I may get more interest from or help me justify that cost I will eventually let it lapse. Probably sooner than later.