Burn Out

trailhound1

After a week of snow that ended with warming of temperature, I decided to do a little geocaching. I found my first cache of the day with no problems, despite what other people said. The rest of my day was not as rewarding. I attempted three other caches, spent thirty minutes or so searching for each, and came up a DNF for all three.

I feel that this is my OFFICIAL WORST DAY GEOGACHING. I don't know if they were really hidden well or if I'm becoming apotheitc with geocaching. So, how does anyone really know when you are burnt out?

After a week of snow that ended with warming of temperature, I decided to do a little geocaching. I found my first cache of the day with no problems, despite what other people said. The rest of my day was not as rewarding. I attempted three other caches, spent thirty minutes or so searching for each, and came up a DNF for all three.

I feel that this is my OFFICIAL WORST DAY GEOGACHING. I don't know if they were really hidden well or if I'm becoming apotheitc with geocaching. So, how does anyone really know when you are burnt out?

I'll know I'm "burned out" when it isn't fun any more. If I'm going because "it's expected" instead of because "I want to" a vacation might be in order....

By the way, if sitting around in house waiting for the snow to go away got on your nerves as much as it did mine it's no wonder you had trouble finding anything.

Edited by NicknPapa

I suppose only you can answer that question. It could be that you really are burned out, or it could be that you simply had a frustrating day. Wait until you have a good day of caching and see how you feel. If it still feels like a waste of tiime after a good day, then perhaps it is time to be looking for another activity. I'm guessing, however, that it will only whet your appetite for more.

I felt that way after attempting a few micros in the woods last year. I hadn't filtered out my list too well that day and I went caching along a trail and of the 8 caches I looked for, 6 were micros. I found 3/8 that day and I believe I had the same feelings that you are having right now.

I still don't understand why some people put micros in the woods, especially when the area can support a larger cache.

I'm not sure how you tell if you have burnout or not, but I know what keeps me from getting burned out. I've seen (and I'm sure most on here have seen) many people pop in, go crazy and then disappear. I try not to clear an area out. Go to meetings. Volunteer for events, trail maint. or taking new cachers out. Make caches. Do all types of caches. Set goals, both short term and long term, to keep my interest. I like some of the generated stats. Everyone can pick out the ones that mean something to them. I like it when I can incorporate geocaching into another hobby, like hiking or biking or kayaking/canoeing. If I DNF a cache on a good trail, that just means I get to go back.

I felt that way after attempting a few micros in the woods last year. I hadn't filtered out my list too well that day and I went caching along a trail and of the 8 caches I looked for, 6 were micros. I found 3/8 that day and I believe I had the same feelings that you are having right now.

I still don't understand why some people put micros in the woods, especially when the area can support a larger cache.

I usually go for the place the biggest cache you can in an area. That being said, there is something I like about a well cammoed micro in the woods. Not into a nano wired to an evergreen, but ones that are more clever. I enjoy the challenge of a more difficult cache and as much as I like ammocans. I've only seen a couple that were really hidden very well. They are usually way too easy, and I save them for when my 8 year old is along to do some serious trading.

I find if I don't go caching for a while I get out of practice.

The first ones of the day are always the toughest for me, so I plan easy ones to begin with. I've never found a 4 or 5 difficulty on the first cache of the day.

Anytime I go a while without caching I DNF more.

Maybe you just need to get in the swing of it again.

But if you don't feel like caching, don't go.

It's for fun you know.

when it feels like a chore instead of fun

it depends why you cache, we don't look at it as a "worst day of caching" if you DNF some, its all about being out in fresh air, getting some exercise, having fun and all that good stuff

Edited by t4e

I usually go for the place the biggest cache you can in an area. That being said, there is something I like about a well cammoed micro in the woods. Not into a nano wired to an evergreen, but ones that are more clever. I enjoy the challenge of a more difficult cache and as much as I like ammocans. I've only seen a couple that were really hidden very well. They are usually way too easy, and I save them for when my 8 year old is along to do some serious trading.

I also appreciate the well hidden thought out micro cache, but when the cache clue is something like "Stick to it" and there are about 100 broken branches on the ground of varying sizes is not my definition of fun. In fact, I just found one yesterday that was well done that initially startled me when I first found it but then I had to laugh because I could just imagine someone watching me at that moment.

I also appreciate the well hidden thought out micro cache, but when the cache clue is something like "Stick to it" and there are about 100 broken branches on the ground of varying sizes is not my definition of fun. In fact, I just found one yesterday that was well done that initially startled me when I first found it but then I had to laugh because I could just imagine someone watching me at that moment.

I consider those in the "needle in a haystack" variety. I can do a few, but I wouldn't actively seek them out. Not my faves, although I'd rather DNF one of those after a nice walk, then find another LPC to be honest.

Momma said there'd be days like this...

Yep. Been there. Done that. Got the t-shirt. When a day gets to that point, I go grab the nearest 'park & grab' and then head home. Things are usually much better in the morning.

As others have said, when it gets to no longer be fun. Stop. And then go do something else.

I try to do caches that I know will have some redeeming quality to them. And I try to mix the day up with easy to find ones and harder (but not super hard) to find ones and I try to not do one size all day long. Even an ammo can starts to lose some luster after the 5th one you've found in a row.

Also I typically only cache on the weekends and not all weekend and typically not all day. All day is saved for long weekends. I'll plan the trips during the week. Some weekends I just don't want to go so I don't. Had plans to do all sorts of geocaches during vacation this year only to find it that the caches were not doing anything good for the experience if anything it was making it not fun. So we stopped and enjoyed the trip as a trip.

If I'm not having fun or it becomes a chore I take a break.

I'll know I'm burned out if I feel that the day was not rewarding simply because I couldn't find a few caches.

Exactly right!

To me the cache is the least important part of the game and it really doesn't matter whether I find it, what or where it is or what if anything is in it.

If getting out, exploring and having fun doesn't do it for you then this may not be the right game! :huh:

I consider myself burnt out when I just don't feel like geocaching. And if I don't feel like geocaching, I don't go.

That's about right, especially if you have other hobbies. Sometimes, I just don't feel like looking for something. I might want to go fishing that day, spending the day with my wife, working on home projects, etc. I onced tried a cache a day, but afte 101 days it started to feel like work, so I stopped. I stats shows a rate of about 4 caches a day, but there are times when I go a few days between caches.

I seem to experience burnout from time to time (and I've only been caching for about 5 months). Seems that the 2 worst things for me are having a very unproductive day (finding perhaps fewer than 60% of the ones I look for) or finding so many of the same type that there's no challenge or novelty to it.

Finding caches in interesting locations picks me up. Found one yesterday near a historic location where I had never been before.

In spite of the above paragraph, yesterday was a very unproductive and disappointing day overall (only found about 50%) So today I decided to only look for small, regular, and large so as to avoid the micros. It turned out to be a much more pleasant day. Found all 5 that I looked for, and a few of them took me into the woods which is really the way I seem to like it. A nice ammo container or other good sized container with room for swag in the woods just seems to be what I prefer.

All that to say that if you feel you're getting burned out, maybe try limiting the types that you're searching for. Or maybe take a drive a little further than you normally would, and you may find that the cache hiders in that area have a different style which might introduce some novelty back into it for you.

I wanted to get our numbers up so we can celebrate our 4,000th find in Japan in two months. Since we were sitting around 3700, I went out and hit some power trail caches this weekend while Kelly was visiting a friend out of town. Definitely got tired of it after a while, it just seemed like work. And I didn't even get close to the "world records" I've seen on here; I got just under 200 in two and a half days. Not going to say I'll never do that again, as I might have a similar situation come up in the future. But at a minimum, I don't want to do it again for a long, long time.

I've noticed three levels of burnout:

The daily burnout, 'That's three DNFs in a row, time for a beer!'

The weekly burnout, 'I've gone caching every day this week, I'm taking a day off to do something else!'

The extended duration total burnout, 'I'm really tired of all these thoughtless hides, BS logs on my caches, and generally the whole community attitude I see around here. I'VE HAD IT!!! I'm going Benchmark Hunting.'

(Longest Slump 194 consecutive days without a find from 03/29/2008 to 10/09/2008)

I've found that it depends on what I'm doing. If it's a day where I have 1 or 2 finds, but several DNFs, I get fed up and quit. Then, there is the "how long can I keep the consecutive days" thing going. That ended yesterday after a grand total of 19 days of finds--it was not fun anymore and was becoming a chore.

But what keeps me going is the desire to log a find on every day of the year (up to 301 so far) and I"ll be really po'd if I miss on 2/29 next year, plus I've got to do about 14 straight days in Dec. I'm not thinking I'll be done with this goal a year from now.

I have to admit that I felt a little burned out after doing the NEW ET Power Trail in 7 HRS straight, with a group of friends it was all could do to keep my daily streak alive, but I did and feel better now. Leaving Thursday to pick up my NEW GEO Rig in St. Louis and drive back to Washington state (a little adventure) found a few interesting caching spots on the way back.

SS

Burn out occurs with any sport or hobby. People don't realize how much time/energy they really contribute to their fun. For example, before I even look for a cache, I check my query and update my gps. I look at the map, develop a route, and list the caches, after reading descriptions, and logs Since I use to car rally, I make course notes between the groups of caches that help me navigate while driving quickly and efficiently. I then take off to cache with my lab top to act as a cache reference and map. The lab top is easier to read logs etc then the GPS. I arrive jump out search, find, log...then make notes after my cache listing. If I cannot war wagon wifi, I will log when I get home. I usually go for at least 3-4 a day, and 10 or more on the weekends, when i cache. This is all between planing and developing caches to hide, checking the forum board etc etc. My point is i devote a lot of time thinking and doing caching, as do others. For me burnout is almost planned. I will take a few days to kayak or pursue one of my other interests. When I come back, I am renewed with interest and ready to go. One last point, rate of burnout is also effected by your perception of your hobby and your expectations. You need to have those defined. For me, caching is a competitive endeavor. It's me against the CO. I like the hunt, not the numbers. So the fact, I only found 2 of 6, doesn't bother me. I don't mind logging DNFs. Since I am newer, I know their is a learning curve. I am going to miss a lot of caches, in a year or two I will find in minutes. This game is about experience, you have to let it develop over time and not allow your lack of success bring you down.

I've had plenty of terrible days where nothing went right, or I just felt tired before even getting started and just gave up (even after driving 40 or 50 miles), But I've never thought about giving it up for good. Actually, my most frustrating days have been when I ventured into Nassau County near rush hour and had to deal with traffic and couldn't find the right access roads and just ended up on a meaningless DRIVE. I've had days where I've had several DNF's in a row but it was out in the woods on a nice trail so it still felt like a good day.

Just now getting back into it. I was burnt out from doing the same 100 mile radius of which I live. ...and there generally isn't much past the 100 miles but a lot of vacant desert with a few caches here and there. <_< I've stayed relatively "out of the game" for about a year and a half, got involved with a LOT of other things. I just ran a new query. Lot's of new caches. I'm just afraid the spark won't last long as a lot of these new caches are in places I've already been....Ah to be independantly wealthy and travel the world! LOL

Edited by LostinReno