Urban Safety

kwpalms

Hello! I'm new to geocaching and I've found a few so far but I'm looking for some tips/advice about safety when geocaching. I'm looking for information geared toward stranger danger type safety. I live in a town that is fairly safe but has some riff-raff and want to know if people who cache carry pepper spray, etc...I try and keep my eyes and ears open to strangers that look out of place but would like to know what others do. Thanks in advance for the advice.

I actually don't carry pepper spray, but it probably wouldn't hurt. I live in a small town (about 5,000), but cache in a nearby larger town (about 150,000 people) that is actually famous for its riff-raff. I do cache alone a lot. I've never had a problem, but ya never know. I don't think it would hurt at all to carry pepper spray.

Carry whatever personal protection (or none at all) that you would walking from your house to the library or store or civic center.

Don't go to places you don't feel comfortable.

Geocaching is just another activity of life. It's not any more, or less, dangerous than going out into the world for other reasons.

Carry whatever personal protection (or none at all) that you would walking from your house to the library or store or civic center.

Geocaching is just another activity of life. It's not any more, or less, dangerous than going out into the world for other reasons.

+1

Although, going out to geocache will increase, ever so slightly, your odds of meeting a riff or a raff.

+1, (with +5 defense against undead)

Although, going out to geocache will increase, ever so slightly, your odds of meeting a riff or a raff.

Hey! I resemble that remark! :)

Back on topic:

You are your own best defense. Use your senses. Stay alert. Pay attention to your surroundings.

As others have mentioned, geocaching is just another outdoors hobby. Whatever threats you would face going to your local park, wilderness area or Wally World parking lot, will likely be the threats you'd face while caching. Statistically, you are in much greater danger driving to the cache than you are hunting the cache. If you would normally carry some measure of personal protection in other activities, and you are competent in its use, by all means, feel free to carry it caching.

Hello! I'm new to geocaching and I've found a few so far but I'm looking for some tips/advice about safety when geocaching. I'm looking for information geared toward stranger danger type safety. I live in a town that is fairly safe but has some riff-raff and want to know if people who cache carry pepper spray, etc...I try and keep my eyes and ears open to strangers that look out of place but would like to know what others do. Thanks in advance for the advice.

States of Awareness, the Cooper Color Codes

geocaching in urban areas doesn't pose any greater dangers than going to the corner store to get milk

I respectfully disagree with that statement. A walk to the corner store is short and in a neighborhood you are very familiar with. Demographically speaking, cachers tend to be middle class or upper middle class individuals who would tend to live in lower crime neighborhoods.

Urban caching takes you to different neighborhoods that are less familiar than your own neighborhood and will sometimes have higher crime rates. The trip to the corner store will typically be done on a sidewalk, but a cacher will be going through alleyways, behind trees & bushes, and other out-of-the way places that are also favored by muggers and rapists. Some of the out-of-the-way places are also great locations for inconspicuous drug use. (Those syringe wrappers on the ground are not from sloppy diabetics and those little baggies you see are not from other cachers.)

Also, while caching you're carrying a very hock-able electronic device and you are busy looking at it or at possible GZ's. Walking to the store your head is up, your hand is empty, your attention isn't divided so you are more likely to notice trouble coming.

BTW, a lot of really good and simple advice on this thread.

As a person who has been on the receiving end of gun violence it is my experience that carrying pepper spray or any kind of weapon is useless unless you can whip it out in an instant and beat the other guy to the shot, which is unlikely. The best thing is to be aware of your surroundings, think about what you are doing and if in doubt just leave the area. No smiley is worth getting hurt.

geocaching in urban areas doesn't pose any greater dangers than going to the corner store to get milk

I respectfully disagree with that statement. A walk to the corner store is short and in a neighborhood you are very familiar with. Demographically speaking, cachers tend to be middle class or upper middle class individuals who would tend to live in lower crime neighborhoods.

Urban caching takes you to different neighborhoods that are less familiar than your own neighborhood and will sometimes have higher crime rates. The trip to the corner store will typically be done on a sidewalk, but a cacher will be going through alleyways, behind trees & bushes, and other out-of-the way places that are also favored by muggers and rapists. Some of the out-of-the-way places are also great locations for inconspicuous drug use. (Those syringe wrappers on the ground are not from sloppy diabetics and those little baggies you see are not from other cachers.)

Also, while caching you're carrying a very hock-able electronic device and you are busy looking at it or at possible GZ's. Walking to the store your head is up, your hand is empty, your attention isn't divided so you are more likely to notice trouble coming.

+1 and exactly what I was thinking.

The places where I would "normally" go for a walk, I'd be very unlikely to pass within 50 feet of a hobo encampment, or into a tree line strewn with the remnants of illegal dumping (to cite a couple of less-urban examples, though I've seen both of these in very populated areas). There are parts of this city I wouldn't walk through, but a quick stop for a cache would be reasonable. Looking for caches, I've been in a few places that gave me a twinge of nervousness, but I kept my senses on high alert and was just fine. There have been a few places that I wouldn't have wanted to visit alone, but was okay caching with others.

Good advice in this thread; I would only add to trust your instincts, and if a place makes you uncomfortable, walk / drive away. No smiley is worth your personal safety.

--Q

The same rules apply to caching as to taking a hike. Plan how you will get there and how you will get back, take some time to gather info on the area, let someone know where you are going and when you will be back, have some form of commications, keep aware of you surroundings.

carrying pepper spray or any kind of weapon is useless unless you can whip it out in an instant and beat the other guy to the shot, which is unlikely

I agree with the caveat of saying most people who purchase any weapon do not spend the time to learn how to use it and practice to maintain proficiency with it.

+1, (with +5 defense against undead)

What if I bring along my Sword of Sharpness & get a natural 20?

Edited by hoosier guy

I always consult peole that know the area before going into it for a cache. I would rather have an unfound cache in my profile then a tombstone above my head.

1 example, I was going to be in an area that was known for being in the seedy part of town. I figured I would do a few in the park nearby (Was in the middle of the afternoon, and I am a guy so wasn't to concerned about getting jumped). Asked some people that knew the neighbourhood about the park, and found most people in the area won't enter that park becuase of all the used needles lying in the grass.

Needless to say, I am not going to be on my knees searching under bushes where I can't see where my hand is going in an area where the chance of a needle laying around. It would probabaly have been the same if the park was a known spot for gang attacks, ect.

I'm surprised that you never had this issue come up before you ever heard the word 'geocaching'.

I always consult peole that know the area before going into it for a cache. I would rather have an unfound cache in my profile then a tombstone above my head.

1 example, I was going to be in an area that was known for being in the seedy part of town. I figured I would do a few in the park nearby (Was in the middle of the afternoon, and I am a guy so wasn't to concerned about getting jumped). Asked some people that knew the neighbourhood about the park, and found most people in the area won't enter that park becuase of all the used needles lying in the grass.

Needless to say, I am not going to be on my knees searching under bushes where I can't see where my hand is going in an area where the chance of a needle laying around. It would probabaly have been the same if the park was a known spot for gang attacks, ect.

How does that work when you are in an area that you have never visited before?

How does that work when you are in an area that you have never visited before?

Ask some locals, if you know any. If not, I would suggest looking around the area and see if you notice any "Geocaching term - usual suspects" in the area before diving under the nearest bush. The park I was talking about that I asked about, when I drove by afterwards, I noticed a needle exchange box. That pretty much summed up what I had been told.

Edited by benderoos

+1

Is that because you might run into other geocachers?

Are you trying to make commentary about us?

While most geocachers, whom I have had the pleasure to have met, are upstanding people and good sports, I can neither confirm nor deny that at least one or two of them, somewhere out there, are among the riffiest riffs to ever riff a raff.

I take a small amount of pride in participating in a game which embodies people of such high calibre. :anibad:

I lived in a high crime urban area at one point. Going to the corner store was always kind of an adventure. Shoot just bringing the groceries in could be fun. That being said, I got used to that reality and am pretty comfortable with that.

What I worry about where I cache now are all the people who bought land in the woods in an effort to drop off the grid basically. Combine that with some cachers propensity to not get permission before placing caches... I don't want to be the test dummy for that mess.

I agree with the others. Be aware of your surroundings. Keep what you're carrying to a minimum. Bring a phone with you. And don't carry any weapon unless you are comfortable and prepared to use it.

You're already most of the way there--with being aware of your surroundings. Just stop. Look around. What do you see? Are there blind spots? Places for people to hide? Look at the people there. What's going on? Check their body language. How many are there?

Look behind you. If there someone there, maybe trying hard to act as if he is ignoring you? Are there people in parked cars?

Rehearse in your mind what your reaction will be if someone approaches you. If someone takes a swing at you. Otherwise you will freeze and do nothing. What will you say?

Pepper spray is a start, but you MUST practice with it, and have it in your hand if you feel the surroundings warrant.

Teach yourself to stop in the middle of dealing with the cache. I think a lot of cachers do this already, but in the context of seeing if muggles are watching. Stop, look around again. Someone might be just waiting for you to be distracted signing the log.

If things don't look right, don't go. Avoiding trouble is the best thing to do. I might be armed while I am caching, but I am certainly not looking for trouble. No one should.

States of Awareness, the Cooper Color Codes

OK, now you're just scaring them. Well, scaring the ones you aren't confusing. The colors are kind of an advanced thing, don't you think?

I try and keep my eyes and ears open to strangers that look out of place...

The people most likely to appear out of place in those areas will be cachers! :anibad:

My advice? If you don't feel comfortable in a neighborhood don't go there. I've passed by plenty of caches, both at home and while traveling if the area just doesn't "feel" right.

i see your point but i guess it depends, where i am from, and its not a small town at all, i don't have to worry about guns being pointed in my face or someone stealing my shiny GPS

having said that, i do not blindly trust that peacefulness to be something that can never be disturb so i still take precautions and avoid wondering the streets alone at night or in places i am not familiar with, i have no such issues and much to worry about during the day though

Pepper spray is pretty good for dogs but usually will just make a person mad. I prefer my .357 Ruger LCP, but I don't just carry it caching, I rarely leave the house without it.

Finally someone speaking my language. Thankfully I live in CCW country. I carry my XD45 everyday, everywhere. especially geocaching. Pepper spray? Are you kidding.

Pepper spray is pretty good for dogs but usually will just make a person mad. I prefer my .357 Ruger LCP, but I don't just carry it caching, I rarely leave the house without it.

Yeah, especially in Montgomery :anibad: I carry a Kimber .45 and a Kel-tec P3-AT for a BUG. I like the Kel-tec because I can keep my hand in my right pocket on the grip ready to draw and it looks like I've just got my hand in my pocket. Left hand on the GPS. When it gets cooler I can keep it in my jacket pocket enabling me to fire from the pocket.

I carry a Taurus .44 magnum for the woods with the first round a snakeshot load. :rolleyes:

Yeah, especially in Montgomery :anibad: I carry a Kimber .45 and a Kel-tec P3-AT for a BUG. I like the Kel-tec because I can keep my hand in my right pocket on the grip ready to draw and it looks like I've just got my hand in my pocket. Left hand on the GPS. When it gets cooler I can keep it in my jacket pocket enabling me to fire from the pocket.

I carry a Taurus .44 magnum for the woods with the first round a snakeshot load. :rolleyes:

Yeah, carrying with your hand on the trigger is the way to go!!

I carry pepper spray. It might just buy me some time in a bad situation. I usually cache alone, and it can be scary.

I live in Az. I carry the spray for two reasons: first, it's hot. If I see a mountain lion or bobcat, then it's HUNGRY or thirsty. It's just no good to see them. (have seen one, just a few months back)

Also, we have a high rate of homeless/mentally ill people that often live near or on the cache. While I'm sure i can outrun many, the spray may just buy me enough time to hi-tail outta there.

And it's happened twice-where the homeless and drunk man found me at his 'home' and chased me off.

BOTH of those caches were <50ft away from the road...

Very well said...

Yeah, especially in Montgomery :rolleyes: I carry a Kimber .45 and a Kel-tec P3-AT for a BUG. I like the Kel-tec because I can keep my hand in my right pocket on the grip ready to draw and it looks like I've just got my hand in my pocket. Left hand on the GPS. When it gets cooler I can keep it in my jacket pocket enabling me to fire from the pocket.

I carry a Taurus .44 magnum for the woods with the first round a snakeshot load. :unsure:

Yeah, carrying with your hand on the trigger is the way to go!!

Uh, no. You always keep your boogerhook off the bangswitch until you need to shoot. The most common technique is hand on the grip, index finger alongside parallel to the barrel, and outside of the trigger guard.

C'mon, keeping your finger off the trigger is one of the 4 basic rules of firearm safety. :anibad:

Uh, no. You always keep your boogerhook off the bangswitch until you need to shoot. The most common technique is hand on the grip, index finger alongside parallel to the barrel, and outside of the trigger guard.

C'mon, keeping your finger off the trigger is one of the 4 basic rules of firearm safety. :)

Wel, you know what I mean. Never leave the house unless you have a gun in your hand It's important that you are able to blow away any threat before they even finish the threat. Should even practice shooting through your pocket so you don't waste precious nano seconds removing the gun from your pocket.

I knew this thread was gonna go this way... :)

I did too.

...I prefer my .357 Ruger LCP, but I don't just carry it caching, I rarely leave the house without it.

May be a misstype there: the LCP comes as .380 only (and is a very nice pocket gun), while its wheelgun cousin, the LCR, now comes in .357. The more important part of this statement, though, is the logical extension to the last part - whatever the choice of personal defense tool (firearm, pepper spray, croquet mallet, or just a super-annoying personality), it needs to become part and parcel of your normal daily routine.

...I prefer my .357 Ruger LCP, but I don't just carry it caching, I rarely leave the house without it.

May be a misstype there: the LCP comes as .380 only (and is a very nice pocket gun), while its wheelgun cousin, the LCR, now comes in .357. The more important part of this statement, though, is the logical extension to the last part - whatever the choice of personal defense tool (firearm, pepper spray, croquet mallet, or just a super-annoying personality), it needs to become part and parcel of your normal daily routine.

.380 is hard to find here. Good catch on the LCR vs LCP.

I try and keep my eyes and ears open to strangers that look out of place...

The people most likely to appear out of place in those areas will be cachers! :)

True. Criminals look for people who appear confused, unsure, out of place and are not paying attention to their surroundings. The trouble is that describes geocachers perfectly.

Edited by briansnat

Interesting thread. In that, if I am not mistaken, every contribution has been by someone from the US/Canada (and I realise the risk I am taking putting those two together as one :) ).

I know forum members are mostly American or Canadian but when these topics come up rarely is there much of a comment from someone outside the US (apart from my silly flippant one earlier).

Also, the topic itself does pop up from time to time, always by someone from the States.

So the question is, do you think the States is a more dangerous place to cache than anywhere else?

Some of our inner cities are pretty dodgy, but we don't have the huge national parks you guys have. In fact whenever I hear talk of 'parks' I think of our little municipal town parks with swings and slides and bandstands :) but yours are probably as big as the UK!

Or is the fear of something bad happening when out and about greater over there when in fact the risk is no greater?

It's interesting that I don't think you would ever hear Brits talk about going out with pepper spray or any other form of self defence equipment. Not seriously anyway.

Just curious, and certainly not saying that I think the US is more dangerous.

Interesting thread. In that, if I am not mistaken, every contribution has been by someone from the US/Canada (and I realise the risk I am taking putting those two together as one :) ).

I know forum members are mostly American or Canadian but when these topics come up rarely is there much of a comment from someone outside the US (apart from my silly flippant one earlier).

Also, the topic itself does pop up from time to time, always by someone from the States.

So the question is, do you think the States is a more dangerous place to cache than anywhere else?

Some of our inner cities are pretty dodgy, but we don't have the huge national parks you guys have. In fact whenever I hear talk of 'parks' I think of our little municipal town parks with swings and slides and bandstands :) but yours are probably as big as the UK!

Or is the fear of something bad happening when out and about greater over there when in fact the risk is no greater?

It's interesting that I don't think you would ever hear Brits talk about going out with pepper spray or any other form of self defence equipment. Not seriously anyway.

I doubt it. I think we're just more paranoid. Plus keep in mind that the entire country is an insane asylum.

true story

So you guys don't have sensationalist news there? OH wait yes you do, I've heard that the Britist tabloids are legendary.

It's probably just the stranger danger fear still gripping people. The real truth is, you're more likely to be attacked by a family member than a stranger, but that doesn't sell as many papers...or guns...or pepper spray.

Me? Well I cache with a dog and my rapier like wit

plus I'm a shotokan black belt and more importantly a marathon runner - seriously

I'm not fast but a little bolt of adrenaline and we'll just have to pick this little argument up again in about 4 hours 26.2 miles that way >>>>

Hi L&T

No I don't think the US is more dangerous than anywhere else. People are people and there are decent folks and less than decent folks where ever you go. The difference IMO is that we have a 24/7 news reporting machine that is hungry for viewers and is not afraid to do about anything to get an edge on the other outlets.

Hope all is well with you and yours.

I doubt it. I think we're just more paranoid. Plus keep in mind that the entire country is an insane asylum.

Boy I am glad you said that, not me :)

true story

So you guys don't have sensationalist news there? OH wait yes you do, I've heard that the Britist tabloids are legendary.

Tell me about it, our press is crazy. If there is no real shock horror element to a story they will make one.

Yesterday the news was FULL of a shock horror story that a Bull that had been born from a cloned cow had been killed and....eaten! By people. It was the first 5 minutes even on BBC radio 4 news (which is normally quite rational).

Turns out that eating such meat is lawful in the States, but not over here.

So the short story was actually "British people have eaten what American people eat"

Headline news? Hmmm

It's probably just the stranger danger fear still gripping people. The real truth is, you're more likely to be attacked by a family member than a stranger, but that doesn't sell as many papers...or guns...or pepper spray.

Me? Well I cache with a dog and my rapier like wit

plus I'm a shotokan black belt and more importantly a marathon runner - seriously

I'm not fast but a little bolt of adrenaline and we'll just have to pick this little argument up again in about 4 hours 26.2 miles that way >>>>

You know, I don't think I have ever thought twice about going caching anywhere on my own.

But maybe we are lucky in that we live in a pretty crime free area of the UK.

I'm certainly not brave, so maybe I am stupid. And need to be more paranoid? :)

Hi L&T

No I don't think the US is more dangerous than anywhere else. People are people and there are decent folks and less than decent folks where ever you go. The difference IMO is that we have a 24/7 news reporting machine that is hungry for viewers and is not afraid to do about anything to get an edge on the other outlets.

Tis a shame that the media builds this fear up within is all - Danger, debt, illness, crime, bombarding us all the time. Puts the fear of god into us. Seems we should feel guilty if we've nothing to worry about.

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Yes, thank you very much. We're in the height of our Summer tourist season here in the South West with three sweet (candy :) ) shops (stores :) ) going mad.

Cheers

Edited by Lovejoy & Tinker

are you ready to face the consequences? :)

lets see, i cached in Canada (home), USA, Italy, Austria(about 3 months) and Romania

luckily i had no incidents in either one of those, and never felt threatened in any way

now to answer if USA is more dangerous than those other countries i have experienced...personally i think it is and that just because people are allowed to carry guns, and that is on the back of your mind at all times

there are stats that show the level of violence and crime around the world and USA is up there

is it directly related to legally being allowed to carry guns?...maybe, maybe not...personally i think it does have something to do with it to a certain extent

there are countries where there is a lot of violence but people carry guns illegally

its not a question of "being in the wrong place at the wrong time" anymore it becomes a question of "what if someone gets ticked off for whatever reason and pulls a gun on me?"