Numbers count

Panther&Pine

So, I've noticed that many folks (myself included) would rather not have our finds count displayed.

And since the finds count is a field (of some kind, I don't know much about PHP- so I don't know the details).

Would it be possible to make a ticky box to give the option of displaying a message instead of a number?

Some where in your profile it would give you an option to display the find count or not. Maybe make it a PM feature?

But I know I'd like a message something along the lines of "Not displayed".

What does everyone else think?

Sorry if this has been discussed before.

I kind of like seeing the count. It allows me to assign a bit of experience level to the cacher and helps me to interpret comments in thier log(s).

For example, if a cacher with 3000 finds says my cache is missing, I give it more credence than a cacher with 17 finds saying the same thing.

I know it doesn't say much - but I still find it important.

Looks like you're proving the point the starter is trying to make :-)

This person with 17 founds might have been looking for half an hour,doing his best to find is. The one with 3000 founds might just consider '30 seconds the limit' and decide if he hasn't found it by then, it's a waste of his scoring run.

I kind of like seeing the count. It allows me to assign a bit of experience level to the cacher and helps me to interpret comments in thier log(s).

For example, if a cacher with 3000 finds says my cache is missing, I give it more credence than a cacher with 17 finds saying the same thing.

I'll admit it. I snoop too. :) I like checking out profiles of posters.

Looks like you're proving the point the starter is trying to make :-)

This person with 17 founds might have been looking for half an hour,doing his best to find is. The one with 3000 founds might just consider '30 seconds the limit' and decide if he hasn't found it by then, it's a waste of his scoring run.

Nice point. There is a similar topic/idea in the feedback database ( http://feedback.geocaching.com/geocaching/...umber_from_logs ). Jeremy suggested a hover feature, in order to see the find count you would hover your cursor over the cacher's trailname. The idea is going over like a lead balloon with those who are adamant about seeing everyone's find count. They must see the count without any hinderance (moving the mouse over a trailname is a hoop they don't want to jump) and they must see it when looking at the logs from the cell phones. The ability to judge a finder is paramount.

Apparently judging people is the number one reason and the only reason to see the count. This is especially important when someone posts a DNF. Apparently anyone with under 100 finds has no clout and their DNF is dismissed by COs.

Apparently judging people is the number one reason and the only reason to see the count. This is especially important when someone posts a DNF. Apparently anyone with under 100 finds has no clout and their DNF is dismissed by COs.

Yeah, judging people is important. After all, Groundspeak is forcing us to compete against each other. :laughing:

Nice point. There is a similar topic/idea in the feedback database ( http://feedback.geocaching.com/geocaching/...umber_from_logs ). Jeremy suggested a hover feature, in order to see the find count you would hover your cursor over the cacher's trailname. The idea is going over like a lead balloon with those who are adamant about seeing everyone's find count. They must see the count without any hinderance (moving the mouse over a trailname is a hoop they don't want to jump) and they must see it when looking at the logs from the cell phones. The ability to judge a finder is paramount.

Oh, the feedback thing. It didn't occur to me to look there. I feel silly now.

Oh well. Moving on. I think the hover over is a good idea as well.

So, I've noticed that many folks (myself included) would rather not have our finds count displayed.

And since the finds count is a field (of some kind, I don't know much about PHP- so I don't know the details).

Would it be possible to make a ticky box to give the option of displaying a message instead of a number?

Some where in your profile it would give you an option to display the find count or not. Maybe make it a PM feature?

I think if you at that embarrassed about how low your find count is, you need to dedicate yourself to finding more caches.

since i have started frequenting the forums i don't recall seeing one single person making that statement

I would support an optional setting to hide your find counts and another optional setting not to show you anyone else's find counts.

Especially if that would end the idea of making it harder for those of us who want to see counts to see what is currently available on cache listings (except for those who want to hide.)

I think if you at that embarrassed about how low your find count is, you need to dedicate yourself to finding more caches.

No, not embarrassed by my number count. I actually feel rather good about it, but it is a personal achievement not a contest.

I would support an optional setting to hide your find counts and another optional setting not to show you anyone else's find counts.

Especially if that would end the idea of making it harder for those of us who want to see counts to see what is currently available on cache listings (except for those who want to hide.)

I didn't think of something like this. That could be interesting- although I'm not sure how it would work coding wise.

since i have started frequenting the forums i don't recall seeing one single person making that statement

I've said it many times. I've said it recently in a few threads. Others have asked for that option over on the website board as well.

It's not going to happen anytime soon. But it has been requested.

I decided a while back to just hide my own find count.

*** Forgot I was actually on the website board.

Edited by GeoBain

Once your number gets bigger, you will want it displayed.....

:huh::laughing: (ducking)

I'm pretty sure you are joking by the use of the emoticons.

However, I still want to say this is not true. If the numbers are the important part of caching for you, then yes, you will want them to show.

But there are some of us who feel like the numbers foster a certain level of competition that is actually detrimental to the game.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was something that could actually be compared evenly among cachers. But given that you have power trails, different levels of difficulty and/or terrain, etc., then the numbers are mostly useless anyway.

As has been pointed out, which is more useful? 30 minutes spent looking for a cache by someone with 50 finds or 5 minutes spent by someone with 1500 finds on a numbers run?

If someone is posting on the forums, what does their find count really tell you? I say it tells you very little, but people put a lot of stock in that number.

I would just like a toggle switch so that people can choose to show their hides or keep them private. I've never advocated doing away with it altogether since I do realize that it IS the game to a lot of people.

But there are some of us who feel like the numbers foster a certain level of competition that is actually detrimental to the game.

In what way is it detrimental?

I suspect from what you say later you may feel that power trails are detrimental or perhaps an increase in then number LPC type hides by those who are hiding cache just for the numbers. But it still not clear to me why this is detrimental to the game as a whole. It may be detrimental to an individual who has problems sorting out cache that they may enjoy more because there are more hides for people who enjoy it "for the numbers". However, I believe that most people eventually find a way to concentrate on caches they enjoy more and perhaps this extra effort makes those caches that much more emjoyable.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was something that could actually be compared evenly among cachers. But given that you have power trails, different levels of difficulty and/or terrain, etc., then the numbers are mostly useless anyway.
First you have to realize what the find count actually measures. It is simply the number of found, attended, and photo taken logs that have been entered by a user name. You don't know if the name is an individual or a team, if they only find high terrain caches or only find 1/1s, if they log multiple attended for events, if they are puritans when it comes to signing logs, etc. So anyone trying to read more into the find count than what it is certainly going to be bothered by it.

That says the number does tell us something useful about the user name. The number is primarily effected by the length of time a user has been caching and how often they cache. Of course it is also influenced by other factors such as the cache density and what kinds of caches the user prefers. But I believe I can look at someone's number and join date and have a good idea if this is someone who caches all the time (at least a couple of days each week) or if it is some who only goes caching occasionally. On the forums, some one who is fanatical about geocaching is likely to have different concerns than some who has many other interests and caches infrequently. When it comes to a DNF, cache owner who knows that his cache is hidden in some style that an experienced cacher will have seen but a newbie may still have trouble with, can use the find count to determine if the cache is more likely or less likely to be missing. Conversely, a cache owner who has hidden a needle in the haystack may look at a high number cacher and particularly if the log says "Only looked for a few minutes" discount this DNF. Of course when a cacher choose to hide their number by not logging their finds, I may get a skewed view of their experience/passion level. That just mean their DNF has less value that it would if they reported their finds.

If my cache gets a DNF from a cacher with 17 finds, I'd email them with the offer of a clue.

If my cache gets a DNF from a cacher with 3000 finds... Well they should know they can email for a clue! :laughing:

No, not embarrassed by my number count. I actually feel rather good about it, but it is a personal achievement not a contest.

Exactly. +1

Maybe, it is going to take me ages (or a few trips to higher cache density areas) to get brag worthy numbers.

Ventura kids statement (many a truth is told in jest) proves that numbers are competitive and people seem to only use the numbers to judge, to compare and often to denigrate.

Edited by Lone R

I'm pretty sure you are joking by the use of the emoticons.

However, I still want to say this is not true. If the numbers are the important part of caching for you, then yes, you will want them to show.

As has been pointed out, which is more useful? 30 minutes spent looking for a cache by someone with 50 finds or 5 minutes spent by someone with 1500 finds on a numbers run?

If someone is posting on the forums, what does their find count really tell you? I say it tells you very little, but people put a lot of stock in that number.

I would just like a toggle switch so that people can choose to show their hides or keep them private. I've never advocated doing away with it altogether since I do realize that it IS the game to a lot of people.

Nice summary of why some of us would like the option to hide our numbers. Thanks.

In what way is it detrimental?

I suspect from what you say later you may feel that power trails are detrimental or perhaps an increase in then number LPC type hides by those who are hiding cache just for the numbers. But it still not clear to me why this is detrimental to the game as a whole. It may be detrimental to an individual who has problems sorting out cache that they may enjoy more because there are more hides for people who enjoy it "for the numbers". However, I believe that most people eventually find a way to concentrate on caches they enjoy more and perhaps this extra effort makes those caches that much more emjoyable.

First you have to realize what the find count actually measures. It is simply the number of found, attended, and photo taken logs that have been entered by a user name. You don't know if the name is an individual or a team, if they only find high terrain caches or only find 1/1s, if they log multiple attended for events, if they are puritans when it comes to signing logs, etc. So anyone trying to read more into the find count than what it is certainly going to be bothered by it.

That says the number does tell us something useful about the user name. The number is primarily effected by the length of time a user has been caching and how often they cache. Of course it is also influenced by other factors such as the cache density and what kinds of caches the user prefers. But I believe I can look at someone's number and join date and have a good idea if this is someone who caches all the time (at least a couple of days each week) or if it is some who only goes caching occasionally. On the forums, some one who is fanatical about geocaching is likely to have different concerns than some who has many other interests and caches infrequently. When it comes to a DNF, cache owner who knows that his cache is hidden in some style that an experienced cacher will have seen but a newbie may still have trouble with, can use the find count to determine if the cache is more likely or less likely to be missing. Conversely, a cache owner who has hidden a needle in the haystack may look at a high number cacher and particularly if the log says "Only looked for a few minutes" discount this DNF. Of course when a cacher choose to hide their number by not logging their finds, I may get a skewed view of their experience/passion level. That just mean their DNF has less value that it would if they reported their finds.

With regards to the DNF log, someone suggested that the numbers only show when someone posts a DNF. I suggest in that case that instead of the exact number we have flags for the DNF - green flag for under 100, blue flag for 100-500, red flag for 500-1000, yellow flag for over 1000.

I had a 11,000 cacher dnf one of mine then next finder logs 'nice easy cache'

How many times have I eagerly gone for a cache because I saw in the logs such comments as "Wow! Very clever cache, first one like this that I've found!!", and only realized after I found the rusted Altoid tin, that the person that wrote that only had 5 finds. :laughing:

So much for THAT theory. :laughing:

Apparently judging people is the number one reason and the only reason to see the count.

For some people, yes. But why does that bother you in a game that is supposed to be something different for each person playing? If other people want to be competitive, let them have their fun.

So what if they're using a general statistic of yours as a personal goal to beat? It doesn't diminish your experience when you're out hunting caches.

I think it's an important part of the game for the new people. It gives them something to strive for at first until they find some aspect of the game they like more. Once their numbers get bigger, most will realize other things are more important. Some will start hunting higher difficulty or terrain caches, other will start going for challenge caches, etc.

Yes, there will be some people that never outgrow the need to have a bigger number. That's life. Check out all the people who drive flashy sport cars.

The find count by itself doesn't mean much unless you compare it to someone else with your caching style. That's why I put much more detailed statistics in my profile. That gives a much better picture of my caching than a single number.

This is especially important when someone posts a DNF. Apparently anyone with under 100 finds has no clout and their DNF is dismissed by COs.

Not me. If I see someone with a low find count DNF my cache, I'll go check out what other caches they've found. If they've only found LPCs for example, then yes I will dismiss their DNF. If they have found some other similar caches then I will treat their DNF like all others.

Same goes for a high found count. If I'm not familiar with the cacher I'll check out their finds as well. If they're a power trail or grab and go style finder then their DNF gets dismissed as well.

When I dismiss a DNF, I'll still check out the cache if I'm nearby but I won't make it a priority.

I never claimed it was perfect - but in general - the conclusions I can reach about DNFs and found count do work out very well.

I am not embarrassed in the least that I a make a judgment call about cachers based on their number of finds and start date. Nothing personal - just all the information i have. Please don't take that away.

BTW - 5 mintues spent by a veteran experienced cacher at GZ is often equal to 30 minutes spent by an inexperienced newbie. IMHO.

So much for THAT theory. :laughing:

The cache owner knows how their cache is hidden. They know if this is something that an experienced cacher is likely to have seen many times or something very unique that may get overlooked by an an experienced cacher but found by a newbie who gets lucky. They know if there are only a few places to look or if this is a needle-in-the-haystack hide. Given the type of hide they may have a clear idea if experience will help someone find the cache or hinder it. They will know if this is a cache a numbers caches might not spend much time searching versus a casual cacher who might look for hours till they find the cache. It depends on the cache. Sometimes it is the newbie's DNF you want to dismiss, sometime it is the 11,000 finds cacher's. It is certainly also useful if you see a newbie's DNF log and can tell that they perhaps need a hint. You can send a hint or give encouragement. When I started out, I often got hints or encouragement from cache owners when I DNF a cache. Nowadays, if I DNF a cache, I'm more likely to see the cache owner disable the cache with a note that says "Toz didn't find it so I'm disabling it till I can check on it".

Apparently judging people is the number one reason and the only reason to see the count.

For some people, yes. But why does that bother you in a game that is supposed to be something different for each person playing? If other people want to be competitive, let them have their fun.

Sure. I'm definitely not saying all find counts should be invisible. If others care about their numbers let them have fun, but allow me to opt-out. Competitive numbers-people can still have fun amongst themselves without seeing my find count.

Sure. I'm definitely not saying all find counts should be invisible. If others care about their numbers let them have fun, but allow me to opt-out. Competitive numbers-people can still have fun amongst themselves without seeing my find count.

You didn't answer my question. Why does it bother you that they're looking at your number? Do you have some kind of paranoid neurosis? (With a handle of Lone R, I just might be right :) )

I have yet to hear a good answer to that question (the first one) from anyone.

You didn't answer my question. Why does it bother you that they're looking at your number? Do you have some kind of paranoid neurosis? (With a handle of Lone R, I just might be right :) )

I have yet to hear a good answer to that question (the first one) from anyone.

I guess I don't care if others see mine, I don't want to see theirs.

I'd rather not have folks jump on others in the forums because they are new.

I like being able to use "Hide my finds" to sort out PQ's and the like, but I don't think a find count should be a mark of experience.

*Edit. And just cause I'm paranoid doesn't mean that they're not watching me. (This is meant to be a light hearted comment)

Edited by MooseJawSpruce

I guess I don't care if others see mine, I don't want to see theirs.

Just curious as to why you don't want to see other peoples find counts? If you don't care about them, just ignore them.

I'd rather not have folks jump on others in the forums because they are new.

That's going to happen regardless of the find count being visible. You can tell someone is new to the game just by the way they word their post or not use the correct terminology.

I don't think a find count should be a mark of experience.

It's not a mark of experience, but it is an initial indication. Kind of like your resume. Your potential employer is going to want to do an interview to find out your real experience level.

I use it as a rough guide if I've never heard of that cacher before. But after reading more of their logs and perhaps meeting them at an event, I'll base all my judgments on that information.

And just cause I'm paranoid doesn't mean that they're not watching me. (This is meant to be a light hearted comment)

Of course they're watching us! :) But that's why I have a travel bug sticker on the back of the Jeep! ;)

BTW - 5 mintues spent by a veteran experienced cacher at GZ is often equal to 30 minutes spent by an inexperienced newbie. IMHO.

Not necessarily. We've had a team of cachers fail to find a cache--and insinuate that is was missing--that some noobs find fairly quickly. Sometimes when you're so used to finding easy caches in urban parks something unusual will stump you. While a fresh-faced noob hasn't established a box in which to confine himself.

The number of finds isn't nearly as important in judging the veracity of a DNF log as the number of DNF logs that turn out to be valid. Groundspeak implementing a feature that takes you to a list of DNFs by that person so you can check those caches to see if those logs were the result of a missing cache or a cacher giving up too fast would be a much better tool than a find count.

There really isn't a valid argument for forcing a find count on someone who doesn't want it. Score aggregation sites allow users to opt out and we've taken advantage of that. Additionally, we've not logged many a cache for various reasons--one of which is simply to hide our true count. It's no one's business other than our own. What this accomplishes though it less feedback to the owner.

There really isn't a valid argument for forcing a find count on someone who doesn't want it.

Especially since there isn't a valid argument for not wanting it in the first place.

Additionally, we've not logged many a cache for various reasons--one of which is simply to hide our true count. It's no one's business other than our own.

First we'll hide the find counts. Then, since that wasn't anyone's business, cache logs are even more so. Make those private except to the poster and the CO. Hide the posted pictures too. And the profiles.

If something as benign as a find count is raising privacy concerns then I'd hate to see the site after everything else is ripped away.

There really isn't a valid argument for forcing a find count on someone who doesn't want it.

Especially since there isn't a valid argument for not wanting it in the first place.

Additionally, we've not logged many a cache for various reasons--one of which is simply to hide our true count. It's no one's business other than our own.

First we'll hide the find counts. Then, since that wasn't anyone's business, cache logs are even more so. Make those private except to the poster and the CO. Hide the posted pictures too. And the profiles.

If something as benign as a find count is raising privacy concerns then I'd hate to see the site after everything else is ripped away.

Lots of valid reasons. Not the least of which is I don't want to play that part of the game. So you don't find a count on my normal account.

As for the rest? Well now, I get to choose what I put in a log and doing so doesn't get a bunch of yahoos deciding that they need to compare their quantity to my quality.

If you don't want your find count displayed, then don't log any finds.

The option to log a Note has always been there.

Your find count isn't likely to affect the APR of your next home loan, so don't worry about it...I certainly am not.

But I can't run a PQ excluding notes (as far as I know, if I can please let me know).

Dang. I had assumed that every 1,000 caches found was a point lower on my APR/EAR. :)

If you don't want your find count displayed, then don't log any finds.

The option to log a Note has always been there.

Your find count isn't likely to affect the APR of your next home loan, so don't worry about it...I certainly am not.

But I can't run a PQ excluding notes (as far as I know, if I can please let me know).

Dang. I had assumed that every 1,000 caches found was a point lower on my APR/EAR. :)

Exactly

Lots of valid reasons.

All of them apparently very secret as I'm not hearing them from anyone.

Not the least of which is I don't want to play that part of the game.

That's not a valid reason. If you don't want to play that part of the game, ignore the ones that do. Problem solved. And you don't have to go through hoops with the site to do it too.

Ever see the Dog Whisperer where one dog is just freaking and yapping and going nuts and the other one just sits there and ignores him? Guess what? The yappy dog gets bored and shuts up. The other dog doesn't need to move or do anything. Same with the numbers game.

As for the rest? Well now, I get to choose what I put in a log and doing so doesn't get a bunch of yahoos deciding that they need to compare their quantity to my quality.

So there it is. You've got an inferiority complex. ;) Their numbers are bigger than yours. :)

Seriously, ignore them. My rate of finds has dropped off significantly in the last few months as I've changed my caching style. I'm now hunting more interesting caches and having more fun doing so.

People have noticed and asked about it. I just tell them I've gone back to hunting the caches outside the city and am having way more fun.

Several people have also noticed that the terrain 4.5 and 5 columns in my DT matrix in my stats have gone up significantly. They're asking me about it and I get to tell them about all the cool canoe and caving caches I've been doing.

The people that are fixated just on the find count? The conversation with them ends pretty quickly and I go talk to someone else.

Edited by Avernar

Some people use the ignore list but that would fill up eventually.

But why go through all the hoops when you can use the ignore list in your head and ignore the people who are trying to get you to play the numbers game?

Them: I've got more finds than you!

You: Good for you! Found any really cool caches?

Them: No, just lots of lame urban ones.

You: Sorry to hear that.

See how easy that is?

Lots of valid reasons.

Not the least of which is I don't want to play that part of the game.

That's not a valid reason. If you don't want to play that part of the game, ignore the ones that do. Problem solved. And you don't have to go through hoops with the site to do it too.

Ever see the Dog Whisperer where one dog is just freaking and yapping and going nuts and the other one just sits there and ignores him? Guess what? The yappy dog gets bored and shuts up. The other dog doesn't need to move or do anything. Same with the numbers game.

So there it is. You've got an inferiority complex. ;) Their numbers are bigger than yours. :)

Seriously, ignore them. My rate of finds has dropped off significantly in the last few months as I've changed my caching style. I'm now hunting more interesting caches and having more fun doing so.

People have noticed and asked about it. I just tell them I've gone back to hunting the caches outside the city and am having way more fun.

Several people have also noticed that the terrain 4.5 and 5 columns in my DT matrix in my stats have gone up significantly. They're asking me about it and I get to tell them about all the cool canoe and caving caches I've been doing.

The people that are fixated just on the find count? The conversation with them ends pretty quickly and I go talk to someone else.

No, but you seem to have a need to prove how big yours is.

No, but you seem to have a need to prove how big yours is.

Huh? :)

Didn't I just say that I've switched my caching from quantity to quality? Deaf ears. Or is that blind eyes in this case?

Not too long ago a friend and I spent all day and 18km of paddling to get a grand total of 2 caches. Those were two of the best caches I've ever found.

Edited by Avernar

Lots of valid reasons.

maybe has something to do with privacy?

maybe one's address can be figured out from their find count?

:)

nobody cares to state a valid reason because there isn't one, this is just another useless request with no logical reason to back it up

like someone said already, don't want a visible count, don't log...even though the nature of the game is to keep track of your finds

i don't care if so and so has 100,000 finds, kudos to them, it will not affect the way i play the game

Edited by t4e
Wow, did you do that without the aid of a calculator?

depends on your definition of what a calculator is.

Did you actually go and check that it was his actual find count? Wow. Some people are obsessed about the numbers. :)

+1 ;)

Edited by dfx

Correct, and there's the rub.

You could use a third-party program to exclude them, but your PQs would be overflowing with caches you have already 'found'.

The ignore list seems to be working for some cachers in the 10,000 find range...

The best option is to just not worry about how others perceive you (find count, hair style, clothing choices, the vehicle you drive, what neighborhood you live in, how you voted in the last election....), be yourself and be happy! :)

I agree.