How many in a day?

Afterburned

:) Hello, I am new to all this, have got 12 caches already and quite enjoying it!

I live in Jersey, channel isles (roughly N 49° 14.938 W 002° 06.572 - Jersey No.1 Cache) - it is an island 9 miles by 5 miles and 190 caches! As far as I know this is quite a concentration!

My question is this: Is it possible to do 52 (new) caches in a day? I have a Saturday in a few weeks with nothing to do, family all away, no work sceduled. Should I buy a pack of cards and get on my bike? :unsure:

I managed to find 32 in about 9 hours along a rural bike trail the other day. It wasn't a "numbers run" by any means, just a good day with a lot of caches.

Plan your route well, don't spend too much time at a cache if you can't find it, and you could probably do it. Remember to have fun!

The real question is not whether you could do it (you probably could), more is it really such a good idea?

That kills off over a quarter of the caches available to you (without going off island) in just one day – four days like that and geocaching’s done for you on Jersey - and I bet you won’t enjoy the more memorable ones amongst them as much rushing about like a crazy person as you would have if you had taken them at a more relaxed pace.

I do like the 52 card drop-off idea though – maybe stamp or sticker your name on the back of each and you have a neat signature item. You don’t have to get through the whole deck in one day for it to be a cool idea (plus, as a previous poster said, not all caches will accommodate a playing card anyway)

There's a challenge in my area where if you find 100 geocaches within a day you'll win a geocoin. Pretty cool, but I timed some of my cache hunts, and it takes me about 4 hours to find 12. I'd really have to start hustling at the crack of dawn to clear 100.

I heard a rumor that someone managed over 300 in a day once. :)

I've gone out with big old lists of caches I want to get to but something always happens. I always get caught in some area of great beauty and get lost in it. I end up having a giggle fit with my friend or parents who I take with me. Or we end up some place which has endless photograph opportunities and I spend way more time at those than intended. I probably missed out on getting my numbers up but I don't regret spending time at the good ones and taking pictures.

It is doable if you have a good cache density in your area. My best day was 72 in about 3 hours. All caches were approx .1-.3 miles apart.

So if you do a bit of planning and find an area of cache density then you will be in luck.

Now finding caches that will hold swag is a different story altogether....

<SNIP> I bet you won’t enjoy the more memorable ones amongst them as much rushing about like a crazy person as you would have if you had taken them at a more relaxed pace.

I do like the 52 card drop-off idea though – maybe stamp or sticker your name on the back of each and you have a neat signature item. You don’t have to get through the whole deck in one day for it to be a cool idea (plus, as a previous poster said, not all caches will accommodate a playing card anyway)

remember not all of those will hold a playing card

Very good point.

I'd recommend an alternative - drop off one card a day for 52 continuous days. But play whatever way you like.

Unless the numbers are what make you smile, these guys are right on! I did 18 in an afternoon a couple of days ago and finally broke 100 finds after 2 1/2 years. :laughing::)

It helps if you can e-mail or log directly from the field. Or just take a notepad. Then you can leave yourself notes about each cache. Of course I see alot of those sad simple "TFTC." or "nice." logs from numbers runners too. :bad:

Edited by scorpio_dark

:) Hello, I am new to all this, have got 12 caches already and quite enjoying it!

I live in Jersey, channel isles (roughly N 49° 14.938 W 002° 06.572 - Jersey No.1 Cache) - it is an island 9 miles by 5 miles and 190 caches! As far as I know this is quite a concentration!

My question is this: Is it possible to do 52 (new) caches in a day? I have a Saturday in a few weeks with nothing to do, family all away, no work sceduled. Should I buy a pack of cards and get on my bike? :laughing:

Stay tuned, you will see some mega numbers being broadcast around June 19th, 2010.

Stay tuned, you will see some mega numbers being broadcast around June 19th, 2010.

Ooh, interesting, will these be another Jersey based cache explosion?? (for those not from Jersey one family published 40 caches in one day once!)

Just checked - my date for this jolly is June 26th! oooooooo!

Edited by Afterburned

Thanks to all who replied, I take on board the points about getting all the caches too soon, however apart from this one day I will not get much of a chance to go caching (two small children stop that!), so I will get one or two a week apart from this one time.

I am going to enjoy the day, I will be on a pushbike cycling between caches so there is a lot of excercise involved too :) maybe too much! Will have to stop for a beer or two en route!

And one final update - MY NEW PHONE ARRIVED TODAY!!!

Up until now I have been caching with Google Earth printouts - now I have GPS! :laughing::laughing:

After trying a few more caches to judge timing there is no way in hell I am going to get 52 in one day!

For a start I will be on my own, and 4 out of the last 5 I have found have been spotted by my caching buddy, and secondly it took a lot longer than 10 mins to find one! My very rough calcs put this at almost 9 hours, and that is assuming I get all the ones I look for.

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Nope, I think I will just relax and have fun on my day off (caching of course!)

Although there is a challenge over here to do 6 different types of cache in one day... ;)

Edited by Afterburned
Although there is a challenge over here to do 6 different types of cache in one day... ;)

We have a challenge like that here in North Carolina. I've got the day off July 2nd, and I'm planning my caches now :)

I REALLY REALLY like the suggestion a previous poster made about you getting a stamp of some kind made and marking the playing cards with it and leaving it as a signature item. Sounds like a great way to tell everyone you were there.

vrk

Here in the US Northwest (Washington State), every couple months we have a "Cache Machine." A local cacher is a genius at building these events. He uses mapping software like MapPoint or Streets&Trips and lets the software plan the route. Then he tweaks the route to work as best it can.

Allowing for 7 minutes at each cache, we usually start with over a 100 caches.

Everyone interested starts at o-dark-thirty in the morning (sun just coming up) and meets at an agreed spot for the first cache. Then everyone heads off to the next cache on the route list. At first, you can have 15, 20, 30 cachers and 6 to 10 cars all show up at a cache to hunt! Sometimes can be hilarious to watch all these people beating the bushes to find the cache.

As the day goes on, all the cachers and vehicles tend to spread out, and will wind-up with bunches of vehicles following each other as they travel from cache to cache.

At the end of the day (near sunset), everyone meets at a local restaurant (usually a buffet or smorgesboard (sic) and talks about all the caches and the events that happened during the day.

On the last one I attended (Walla Walla Cache Machine Dinner - GC23THG), I found 86 caches in 12 hours! It was a blast! There was 6 of us in a large truck, so 12 eyes searching for every cache worked really well. When I left at around 7PM, several of the guys continued for another 4 to 5 hours and found a bunch more.

Great fun had by all!

I have planned my personal routes of caches when I visit the Seattle area, and have found around 40 caches in one long, tiring day!

Best of caching to you!

Fuzzywhip

Edited by Fuzzywhip