Curfew on caching?

Friends in Longview WA just sent me this news article which I thought I'd share with the rest of you. As a sidebar, let me note that my caching partner and I have been pulled aside by the police several times in the last few months when we were caching after dark but BEFORE 9 PM.

To all of our wonderful Caching Friends,

We've copy/pasted an article from The Daily News this morning that unfortunately, affects those of us who have enjoyed caching after dark. Police will be looking for and citing people involved in "suspicious activity" after dark due to a new teen game described in the article below. This will definitely make our nighttime caching a risky activity.

As disappointed as the rest of you!

Teens' nighttime tag game alarms police

By Leslie Slape / The Daily News | Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 10:15 pm | (2) Comments

A fast-paced, intense form of nighttime tag called "Fugitive" has become a weekly event in the Kelso-Longview area, sending dozens of young people darting through yards and streets at night. Kelso police have responded by increasing nighttime enforcement of pedestrian and driving laws.

The game is "best described as 'cops and robbers on steroids' " and involves "fugitives" on foot being pursued by people on foot and in cars, according to the Fugitive page on Facebook.

"This game is inherently dangerous and has required responses by law enforcement, as there is no way to know if the situation is related to the game or not," Kelso Police Sgt. Doug Lane wrote in a recent report.

The basic rules, condensed from the Facebook page: Everyone meets at a designated location at a set time and splits into "fugitives," "chasers" and "drivers." The point of the game is for the fugitives to run from Point A to Point B (usually 3 or 4 miles away) without being tagged by chasers, usually two per vehicle. When someone in a chaser car spots a fugitive, the occupants jump out and chase down the fugitives to tag them, usually with a flashlight beam. A fugitive who has been tagged becomes a chaser.

"They're running from somebody," which gives the appearance they are doing something wrong, Kelso Police Capt. Darr Kirk said Tuesday. "We look for suspicious activity. This is very suspicious."

Police received a report Friday night that more than 150 young people met at Mark Morris High School to play the game. Throughout the evening officers saw dozens of young people on foot and in vehicles as they made their way east to Kelso High School, the destination point, police said. Dispatchers took numerous 911 calls from worried citizens mistaking the players for prowlers or vandals. Kelso police cited several players Friday night with disorderly conduct and unsafe driving.

Kelso police said swing shift officers will strictly enforce all pedestrian violations, driving violations, disorderly conduct violations, trespassing or any other violation that results from playing the game.

"If they are jumping on private property, not obeying the rules of the road, they're going to be contacted," Kirk said. "Laws are going to be enforced. This isn't harmless. They just need to obey all the laws. That's all we ask. We don't want to infringe on their rights, but at the same time, public safety is our prime concern."

Other locations that have been used by game players have been Splits and Tam O'Shanter Park, police said.

Sgt. Lane said he received a call from a parent whose son was recruited to play but who refused because it was dangerous.

"The parent was very alarmed by the behavior and realized the potential risks of injury and/or arrest," Lane wrote in his report. The parent told him the game "is becoming a weekly event and is growing."

The game has become highly popular among teens and young adults, particularly on the West Coast, according to accounts in several newspapers.

Posted in Local, Crime-and-courts on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 10:15 pm

I'm starting to think we should just ask W1370 his magic way of being able to teleport to a new listing's location in Longview/Kelso somehow within 5 minutes of it posting. The police shouldnt be able to cache us then lol.

I think we will just have to be more selective at night until this fad fades out, really consider the area its located before racing out there.

As long as you aren't breaking any laws there should be no problem. You aren't breaking any laws while you geocache, are you?

That's true but considering the number of caches placed in cemeteries and parks which have posted open/closing hours the potential for what a LEO may deem as "suspicious activity" as it relates to geocaching is high.

This game sounds like a chase, they are moving quickly, aren't they?

I don't know, how you cache, but I rarely run...

Mostly I just walk slowly, taking the dog for a stroll around the area.

That shouldn't be suspicious.

I hadn't really thought much about it before, but I bet a dog is a really good cover, especially at night. It's not that weird to see someone with a dog on a leash in odd places/walking all over, especially at night.

Connection to geocaching?

Albeit sent from one geocacher to another--

To all of our wonderful Caching Friends, We've copy/pasted an article from The Daily News this morning that unfortunately, affects those of us who have enjoyed caching after dark. Police will be looking for and citing people involved in "suspicious activity" after dark due to a new teen game described in the article below. This will definitely make our nighttime caching a risky activity.. As disappointed as the rest of you!

I tend to disagree with the highlighted portion... that is, assuming you aren't "running" like a fugitive or a chaser, or driving in what may be deemed a reckless or careless manner.

Certainly it may increase your chances of being stopped and questioned, but then you aren't doing anything wrong, correct?

Carrying a pile of these with you helps: http://www.geocaching.com/articles/Brochur...nline_color.pdf

Print them off (both sides), tri-fold them and you are all set. :D

As long as you aren't breaking any laws there should be no problem. You aren't breaking any laws while you geocache, are you?
That's true but considering the number of caches placed in cemeteries and parks which have posted open/closing hours the potential for what a LEO may deem as "suspicious activity" as it relates to geocaching is high.

People caching in a park after the posted hours are subject to being questioned regardless of some game of tag teenagers may be playing.

I'm not seeing the connection to adults looking for 'buried treasure' :D to teens racing around either. As long as you aren't already breaking any laws it shouldn't affect your caching fun. Besides, the more time the LEO spends asking you about caching, the less time he is chasing those dangerous yoots.

I (along with 3-4 other carloads of cachers) was asked to leave Franklin TN as our actions were in violation of the anti-cruising law on the books there. It seems that going from one park to another in convoy after 9 PM was cruising in their eyes.

So we just went into Nashville where the big city cops had more serious stuff to worry about. Later that night we were given a gentle suggestion to actually use a nearby parking lot instead of just stopping on the road by the nice Nashville PD around 2 AM on the Vanderbilt U. campus as it would be safer for us with all of the drunks leaving the bars.

I'm not seeing the connection to adults looking for 'buried treasure' :D to teens racing around either. As long as you aren't already breaking any laws it shouldn't affect your caching fun. Besides, the more time the LEO spends asking you about caching, the less time he is chasing those dangerous yoots.

Dang kids. Get off of my lawn! I'm not seeing a connection to Flash Mobs (which law enforcement doesn't like either) and Geocaching. But some in our ranks have integrated that into the game. Maybe we can give this one a shot too, eh? :laughing:

No, but spending twenty minutes talking to the nice officer kinda cuts into your caching time.

sorry officer, this'll have to wait ... a new cache just got released and i've got less than 10 minutes to get to the FTF on it! i'll talk to you as soon as i'm do.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzttttttttttt ....OWWWWW don't taz me bro! :D

People caching in a park after the posted hours are subject to being questioned regardless of some game of tag teenagers may be playing.

There's always that potential when caching at night, especially in parks with posted daytime hours.

I've always found it odd that our city parks have posted daytime hours, yet we've always visited the parks at night (and so do many others), without the police being bothered by it. I've been in our parks at night, even as a teenager, and had cops drive through the park's parking area, doing their sweeps, not bothered that we were walking on by in the park (they'll even give a friendly wave).

I guess it's like any other disclaimer: they don't mind as long as people are not disturbing anything. If people do cause a disturbance, the police can fall back on the posted hours.

HC, If you get talked to by a cop in regards to the game, "Fugitive", just bat your eyelashes and say, "Why, officer, I'm flattered that you took me for a teen". Then giggle. :D

I'm not too sure that local officers would take kindly to me batting my eyelashes at them........ :laughing:

HC, If you get talked to by a cop in regards to the game, "Fugitive", just bat your eyelashes and say, "Why, officer, I'm flattered that you took me for a teen". Then giggle. :D

I'm not too sure that local officers would take kindly to me batting my eyelashes at them........ :(

True, this tactic might not work for everyone. :):laughing:

====================================

I don't get into the Forums because topics, other than technical, are without merit, thought, or direction. They soon degrade and become worthless pieces of information and take up valuable data storage. On this topic, it's clear (including the charter member) that all responders are inexperieced in modern Geocaching. I'm into 5 figures in finds and have over 500 FTF's, most of which are in the forests and logging country of the PNW, so far in the bush that I'm the only visitor in over three years. I hate skirt lifters, ivy, micros in the woods, rock walls, and fish bowls. I have the experience and knowledge about the background within this topic although I'd rather be solving puzzles or be in the field right now.

So..........when I was made aware of this I had to chime in.

Over two years ago, I shared with friends that I felt that the rise and fall of urban GC would take four years. I didn't know how the grim reaper would appear but now it's clear ....... FACEBOOK. Since it's worldwide and an addiction, the foundation of the cancer will spread rapidly. I have run into more county, city, and state law enforcement officers and deputies than most of the responders combined. I know it by the flakey comments. I just hand out the geo-caching spiel on hardcopy now.

If any of you are that ignorant to not see the impact of nighttime geocaching in neighborhoods, city and country parks for example, need to get a clue and wake up. The FTF Feeding Frenzy (I coined that about five years ago) is pushing a lot of this. Anywhere from one to 12 people show up according to logs. I feel the approvers need to do what was common once, no releases before dawn or after dusk.

This is a sign that "the end is near".

No it's not. The op's post is about teenagers playing tag on steroids. It actually has little, if anything, to do with geocaching.

*** I am not a 5 digit geocacher so my inexperience may preclude me from making an informed opinion on this subject matter.

I don't get into the Forums because topics, other than technical, are without merit, thought, or direction. They soon degrade and become worthless pieces of information and take up valuable data storage. On this topic, it's clear (including the charter member) that all responders are inexperieced in modern Geocaching. I'm into 5 figures in finds and have over 500 FTF's, most of which are in the forests and logging country of the PNW, so far in the bush that I'm the only visitor in over three years. I hate skirt lifters, ivy, micros in the woods, rock walls, and fish bowls. I have the experience and knowledge about the background within this topic although I'd rather be solving puzzles or be in the field right now.

Over two years ago, I shared with friends that I felt that the rise and fall of urban GC would take four years. I didn't know how the grim reaper would appear but now it's clear ....... FACEBOOK. Since it's worldwide and an addiction, the foundation of the cancer will spread rapidly. I have run into more county, city, and state law enforcement officers and deputies than most of the responders combined. I know it by the flakey comments. I just hand out the geo-caching spiel on hardcopy now.

If any of you are that ignorant to not see the impact of nighttime geocaching in neighborhoods, city and country parks for example, need to get a clue and wake up. The FTF Feeding Frenzy (I coined that about five years ago) is pushing a lot of this. Anywhere from one to 12 people show up according to logs. I feel the approvers need to do what was common once, no releases before dawn or after dusk.

It looks like your watch is slow.

I'm sorry, I'm not yet as experienced as you.

Also I have to agree, I was never ever stopped by police questioning my activities.

I wonder, why that might be?

Maybe, because I'm just not acting suspicously while out caching?

Maybe, because I'm just out walking the dog? And not doing anything wrong?

Seeing the kind of caches published in my area, seeing the stupid stunts some seems to get their kicks out of, I have to agree, that the end is near, as you say.

But it will not come about by this game of teenagers and young adults, it will come from stupidly hiding caches where they might be mistaken for something sinister.

And from placing caches in areas, where sudden increse in traffic and walkers are obvious to the locals.

Especially in urban areas.

Someone sedately walking by will never be mistaken for someone participating in a game of chase.

So this shouldn't infringe on any nightcaching activities.

Sigh. If you can't see the connection between law enforcement investigating what might be deemed "suspicious activity" at night and geocaching, then you really need to take off your rose-colored glasses and put your nose on the page. If law enforcement is called out repeatedly to investigate people "skulking in the bushes" at night, it won't be long before geocaching earns an unmerited but bad reputation.

Sigh. If you can't see the connection between law enforcement investigating what might be deemed "suspicious activity" at night and geocaching, then you really need to take off your rose-colored glasses and put your nose on the page. If law enforcement is called out repeatedly to investigate people "skulking in the bushes" at night, it won't be long before geocaching earns an unmerited but bad reputation.

If Geocachers are 'skulking' in the bushes at night in a spot that leads somebody to call in suspicious behavior - then the reputation would indeed be highly merited. My opinion.

I enjoy caching at night occasionally but I stay away from areas that will attract undue attention.

Don't wear glasses of any kind, but I have discussed my caching actions with LEO's at all times of the day, morning, noon, and well into the night.

Only once did time of day factor into their reaction to my explanation was the aforementioned post GW2 run after 9PM in Franklin TN. I've even had LEOs join in the search after midnight. Guess I wasn't doing anything illegal at the time. :D

Edited by wimseyguy

No, but spending twenty minutes talking to the nice officer kinda cuts into your caching time.

I pull the laywer card now.

I am new to geocaching but its already pissing me off with cops and security gaurds.

You dont have to answers questions from cops. If you are looking around a tree in a public park, they can't do crap to you. At least here in texas.

My last cop i just ignored, i didn't even give him my ID, or name. He had no legal right for me to provide that info. I kept on looking. He kept asking me this and that. All i did was give him the the geocaching website and told him that is what i was doing and i didn't have time to explain why i was so far form home and on a bike and blah blah...

As far as the topic goes.

It does seem fishy that someone is running around at 2am, but cops can do false alarm calls, it won't kill them.

It happens all the time! It gives the traffic cops something better to do than stop people who didn't come to full and complete stop at a stop sign at 3am on a road that leads to JUST your house.

As long as the kids aren't running through privet property... its all good :D

the tag game sounds like fun. Did something like it once before but at that time it was called searching for suspects. lol

I don't see how this has anything to do with geocaching. Spending 20 minutes explaining what you're doing to a cop is way better than a night in jail.

Edited by Itsmy6

Don't wear glasses of any kind, but I have discussed my caching actions with LEO's at all times of the day, morning, noon, and well into the night.

Only once did time of day factor into their reaction to my explanation was the aforementioned post GW2 run after 9PM in Franklin TN. I've even had LEOs join in the search after midnight. Guess I wasn't doing anything illegal at the time. :laughing:

We pay our police to keep the riffraff out. :D

I'm just really confused by your reply here. ;)

First of all, I'm sorry that you feel that the forums here are "without merit, thought, or direction", and that "They soon degrade and become worthless pieces of information and take up valuable data storage". I wasn't aware that we were taking up valuable data storage. I thought that we were just people, talking about one of our favorite pastimes with each other...geocaching. Sure, a lot of times we're rehashing subjects that have been talked about many times before, but that just means that this is an active sport, with many new participants, and many older participants who love to talk with each other. That's a good thing.

Second, what to you define "modern Geocaching"? I can't even get into this subject without knowing what you think that is. You say that you pretty much only have experience in the woods, not in town, so by your own admission, I would think that you have less to contribute than the rest of the responders to this thread, because despite your 5 figures in finds, few of them would be in town? If that's the case, how in the world have you "run into more county, city, and state law enforcement officers and deputies than most of the responders combined"? And what does that have to do with the rise and fall of urban caching, if you've rarely done it? And what are you doing while caching in town, that your few town caches have illicited that many responses from the authorities? :)

I'm confused what you mean by saying that FACEBOOK is the cause of the cancer. Why? You mention this once, and then don't say why. Because it's spreading the knowledge of what caching is? What does this have to do with night time urban caching?

If you feel that the "FTF Feeding Frenzy is pushing a lot of this", then why are you so proud about posting how many FTF's you have done? :laughing:

When, in the history of geocaching did this happen: "I feel the approvers need to do what was common once, no releases before dawn or after dusk"? I wasn't aware that the Reviewers across the world commonly did this at one time. I thought that they published caches whenever they could fit it into their busy schedulr. Just for my own personal curiousity, could you let me know when this was a common thing?

I have been stopped by police, park rangers, etc. a few times. The cop in my town stopped us while we were finding a cache in the Costco parking lot at night. We told him we were caching, and all he asked was, "what did you find in the cache?", and proceeded to glance through the contents and then go on his merry way. He obviously knew what we were doing. Our town's tourism page discusses geocaching as one of the activities to do while visiting our town. The tourism board has a geocaching profile and has placed their own caches. They do not warn people to not cache at night. :D

My original response to HC was posted to illicite a chuckle from her. I suppose that I fell short of that mark. :D

I hope this post wasn't too flakey for you. :(

I have been stopped by police, park rangers, etc. a few times. The cop in my town stopped us while we were finding a cache in the Costco parking lot at night. We told him we were caching, and all he asked was, "what did you find in the cache?", and proceeded to glance through the contents and then go on his merry way. He obviously knew what we were doing. Our town's tourism page discusses geocaching as one of the activities to do while visiting our town. The tourism board has a geocaching profile and has placed their own caches. They do not warn people to not cache at night.

That's actually pretty cool IMO.

I saw someone at the gas station last month wearing a camo pattern blaze orange hat. What's that all about? Do you want to be seen or not?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed the bright orange camo pattern stuff... that and the purple camo stuff. The best though was a lady that I saw at the grocery store who had a camo patterned wallet with 'bling' all over it.

Fashion sure is interesting!

I saw someone at the gas station last month wearing a camo pattern blaze orange hat. What's that all about? Do you want to be seen or not?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed the bright orange camo pattern stuff... that and the purple camo stuff. The best though was a lady that I saw at the grocery store who had a camo patterned wallet with 'bling' all over it.

Fashion sure is interesting!

As has been mentioned the blaze orange cammo is hunting gear. It is believed that many game animals can't distinguish color. The pattern is meant to break up the shape of the hunter while hopefully preventing an accidental shooting.

As has been mentioned the blaze orange cammo is hunting gear. It is believed that many game animals can't distinguish color. The pattern is meant to break up the shape of the hunter while hopefully preventing an accidental shooting.

Oh, I didn't see that mentioned, but I do appreciate you explaining it. That completely makes sense. Not being a hunter (I have nothing against hunting, just have never done it) I am certainly not an expert. And here I thought it was a fashion statement. (Inserts foot into mouth). Thanks again. I learn something new every day!

Edited by nymphnsatyr

I'm just really confused by your reply here. :D

First of all, I'm sorry that you feel that the forums here are "without merit, thought, or direction", and that "They soon degrade and become worthless pieces of information and take up valuable data storage". I wasn't aware that we were taking up valuable data storage. I thought that we were just people, talking about one of our favorite pastimes with each other...geocaching. Sure, a lot of times we're rehashing subjects that have been talked about many times before, but that just means that this is an active sport, with many new participants, and many older participants who love to talk with each other. That's a good thing.

Second, what to you define "modern Geocaching"? I can't even get into this subject without knowing what you think that is. You say that you pretty much only have experience in the woods, not in town, so by your own admission, I would think that you have less to contribute than the rest of the responders to this thread, because despite your 5 figures in finds, few of them would be in town? If that's the case, how in the world have you "run into more county, city, and state law enforcement officers and deputies than most of the responders combined"? And what does that have to do with the rise and fall of urban caching, if you've rarely done it? And what are you doing while caching in town, that your few town caches have illicited that many responses from the authorities? :D

I'm confused what you mean by saying that FACEBOOK is the cause of the cancer. Why? You mention this once, and then don't say why. Because it's spreading the knowledge of what caching is? What does this have to do with night time urban caching?

If you feel that the "FTF Feeding Frenzy is pushing a lot of this", then why are you so proud about posting how many FTF's you have done? :blink:

When, in the history of geocaching did this happen: "I feel the approvers need to do what was common once, no releases before dawn or after dusk"? I wasn't aware that the Reviewers across the world commonly did this at one time. I thought that they published caches whenever they could fit it into their busy schedulr. Just for my own personal curiousity, could you let me know when this was a common thing?

I have been stopped by police, park rangers, etc. a few times. The cop in my town stopped us while we were finding a cache in the Costco parking lot at night. We told him we were caching, and all he asked was, "what did you find in the cache?", and proceeded to glance through the contents and then go on his merry way. He obviously knew what we were doing. Our town's tourism page discusses geocaching as one of the activities to do while visiting our town. The tourism board has a geocaching profile and has placed their own caches. They do not warn people to not cache at night. :blink:

My original response to HC was posted to illicite a chuckle from her. I suppose that I fell short of that mark. :(

I hope this post wasn't too flakey for you. :D

We must be sharing the same brain, Ambrosia. Thank you for taking the time to write that all out so I wouldn't have to.

I actually wear it for hunting because I like the look of it over solid blaze orange. No idea what the deer think about it since I'm usually staring at the back of my eyelids :D

Oh, I didn't see that mentioned, but I do appreciate you explaining it. That completely makes sense. Not being a hunter (I have nothing against hunting, just have never done it) I am certainly not an expert. And here I thought it was a fashion statement. (Inserts foot into mouth). Thanks again. I learn something new every day!

Hey, you should try out the newer pink camouflage pajamas. Best way to hide out in the bedroom, what? :blink:

Hey, you should try out the newer pink camouflage pajamas. Best way to hide out in the bedroom, what? :blink:

Awesome! Bedroom stealth...

I've never understood the appeal of nighttime caching. Why go sneaking around a park at night when it's dark and who know what is lurking who knows where :blink: when one can go caching during the daytime when it's bright and you can actually see what you're doing? I know there are fewer Muggles but I don't feel it's worth it to go out when it's dark just to avoid Muggles.

I feel the approvers need to do what was common once, no releases before dawn or after dusk.
That's a good idea. A lot of people just can't resist dashing out at night for a FTF on a cache that was just published.
I've even had LEOs join in the search after midnight.
A scene pops into my head of a LEO stopping you for a traffic violation while you're driving to a new cache site and then speeding off to the cache when he finds out you were trying to be the FTF.
A lot of people just can't resist dashing out at night for a FTF on a cache that was just published.

So what? If it's not against the law, let them cache when and where they want. I'm not sure why someone getting a FTF at night would bother you.

I've never understood the appeal of nighttime caching. Why go sneaking around a park at night when it's dark and who know what is lurking who knows where when one can go caching during the daytime when it's bright and you can actually see what you're doing? I know there are fewer Muggles but I don't feel it's worth it to go out when it's dark just to avoid Muggles.

I work the graveyard shift, so being awake at 2am, 3am, 4am, etc is an everyday occurance for me. Sometimes I get the urge to go out caching during those hours. I enjoy it. It does have its own challenges (finding a micro in a pine tree after dark is an exercise in insanity) but it also has its own rewards...such as finding that micro in a pine tree. Aside from less muggles, it's cooler and that leads to less bugs in the summer and in the winter, some of my favorite caching memories are from walking under a full moon that was lighting up the blanket of snow in the woods. I cache alot during daylight hours as well, but I won't bat an eye at going out after dark.

Looking like a teen is helpful in some cases. If someone sees me geocaching I am not some crazy person, I am a tomboy who got bored and decided to climb a tree or attack some shrubs.

I do get kind of worred sometimes when people will assume I am younger than I am and ask me why I am not in school though. I have to explain to people all the time that for college kids class is not in session all day lol.