Is FTF REALLY that important to people?

I just had a cache approved yesterday. The cache is a 65 L storage tote filled with little plastic easter eggs. Inside one of the eggs is the log book. I made it a fun little easter egg hunt for the upcoming holiday. It was mainly placed for families and small children to have a fun time at.

I had also requested on the cache page that it not be looked for when it rains, due to the fact I did not want the contents to get wet while the lid was off while they searched for the egg with the log book in it. Otherwise it would be all wet for the next cacher(s)

But wouldn't you know it, the day it gets published, it also rains. But that did not stop a handfull of cachers from going out to look for it so they could try and log an FTF! The worst part was one of the guys that went out was a friend of mine that I work with!! Even when he logged the find he wrote:

"I decided to break the rule and go for this one anyway" Nice.

The last log on the page (I think it was the 5th guy that day) let me know that the inside of the cache was wet already.

Well....in less than 10 hours of being published, it looks as though I need to go out and do some maintenence already and go dry it out so the next cacher does not have to deal with it.

So my question is: Is being the FTF really that important to people that they would rather get that first log than care about what shape the cache is in when they are done? I realize that it was only a request on my part not to do any rain caching, but would you not think the CO requested that for a reason?

Am I complaining for nothing?? Or do I have a point??

I guess maybe it's beacause I don't care about FTF's. I'll get to the caches, when I get to the caches. There is no $1,000,000 prize for being the first one there, so I don't understand the motivation. Outside of the childish "I got here first....I got here first...yooouuuu didn't! HA HA you suck!"

Edited by Shaner316

You have a legit complaint - but I don't think it is entirely the fault of the finders either. Your container doesn't sound like it is remotely waterproof or water resistant. I know you think that kept upright it has little chance of moisture but wetness creeps in many ways.

That beig said - you would also think that cachers would use a little common sense hot to have a large container opened and exposed to the rain.

.........and to anwer you question --> yes - to some folks the FTF race is really that important - whether we like it or not.

OH MY, the FTF hounds in my area will trample small children and pets just to log it! I have been tempted to list a cache that isn't there just to make them insane for a while. Only problem is that the people that enjoy the game for what it is would be hurt too. I have an event coming up on April 17th. There are a minimum of 15 new caches already out and approved for the event, and it is advertised on the event page. I have already had calls asking for hints on where to be at noon, the time they are being published. It covers a 20 square mile loop so the hunt will be on and the FTF nuts are ready! GAME ON!

I don't understand the motivation.

It’s as pure (and dry!) as it will ever be, no Geotrail to it, fresh log to sign, and it still has that New Cache Smell. You don’t play that way, others do. Live and let live.

But this issue is NOT a FTF problem. Someone loads a bunch of caches into their GPSr, and goes caching. Rain or shine, snow, dust storm, whatever. Many people don’t first check for weather restrictions. So you’ll get water in there. Some egg caches have weep holes to drain water (large buckets get condensation even on a sunny day).

If there’s a problem with water ruining the cache, you must either plan for extra maintenance, figure some way to mitigate the extra wetness, or prepare to archive the cache. A box full of Easter eggs is gonna be extra work for you anyway – if a cacher leaves just 2 or 3 of them open (very likely), think of how it will be after 50 people have been there.

[snip]

So my question is: Is being the FTF really that important to people that they would rather get that first log than care about what shape the cache is in when they are done? I realize that it was only a request on my part not to do any rain caching, but would you not think the CO requested that for a reason?

I guess maybe it's beacause I don't care about FTF's. I'll get to the caches, when I get to the caches. There is no $1,000,000 prize for being the first one there, so I don't understand the motivation. Outside of the childish "I got here first....I got here first...yooouuuu didn't! HA HA you suck!"

Some people are highly competitive and FTF's are very important to them. I admit that I highly coveted FTF's until I got my first few. Geocaching is a sport just like golf. There are people who love to golf, but they golf only when the sun is shining and you have golfers that love golf so much they golf when it's sunny and when it is raining. Same for goes for Geocachers. :)

This isn't so much a FTF issue as it is cachers not covering the cache when they decide to cache in the rain.

I had a string of ammo cans get wet because a couple of cachers decided to make a run in the rain. After they came through, I started getting wet log emails.

I have no issue with caching in the rain. I've done it myself. But you have to make sure you cover the cache so rain doesn't get in while it's open.

And when you close caches, please make sure the seal is clear of any debris.

On the rare occasion we cache in the rain, we always bring umbrellas. We already have rain gear on, the umbrellas are for the cache. We've yet to have anyone say anything negative after we've visited. In fact, quite a few thank us for caring about their hide.

Does the "65L storage tote" have a seal in it's top ? If not, it's possible that it could get damp inside whether cachers were there or not. Heck, we've had Tupperware croak on us in four months. We now only use ammo cans or lock 'n locks.

A large group of folks PQ all the hides they're heading to. The rest seem to be about even on whether they actually read the cache page before headin' out.

Can't count how many times we've met up with someone and they didn't even know what size container they were looking for. :)

We enjoy playing the FTF game when we have time. But (I guess) unlike your experience, we take care in it's condition. Being FTF simply means a fresh log, maybe a small "prize", but mostly being the first to see the cache and it's environs the way it was originally meant to be shown by the hider.

Shaner,

I believe that once a hide is published that it's open season on. I'm sorry that you don't have cachers that would respect your wishes about keeping the hide dry, but they technically broke no rules.

Recently we had a cache pop up. The CO requested that nobody was to find this new hide until you'd "built up enough points" on other hides you'd been FTF on. After you did that, then it was OK to find his. Out of respect to that fellow the local FTF hunters obeyed his request. Thing is, that would be an ALR and anybody could have signed the log and there was nothing that CO could have done to prevent it.

Once you get a hide published it's kind of like sowing seeds to the wind. That is a fact. The rule of unintended consequences applies.

Personally, I like a good FTF (even though I've only had a few). Competition is fun at times, but I won't trample a kid, trash an area, beat someone or ruin your hide for a FTF.

Snoogans,

Who sells those coin deals? Looks like the makings of a good necklace to wear on a FTF hunt. Those, mixed with some wild boar teeth and a pen through the nose. :)

Edited by Woodstramp

I am a WAHM with a traveling hubby who only gets to go caching on certain days. I have gone out in the rain, with an umbrella or poncho, because that might be the only time I get to go.

I have only been the FTF once. There is almost always a prize for that person, but it's also that the cache has been unopened since it was hid, that your hands are the first to touch it in a game it could last for years in. Call me a dork, but I think that's pretty special.

Now don't get me wrong! I have cached in the rain myself, but I always make sure to cover up the cache with something (towel, my body etc) before opening it to keep the contents dry. (especially the log book)

To answer a previous question: Yes, there is a seal on it. Added it on myself to avoid moisture seeping in. But thats not the problem. The problem is guys leaving the lid off while hunting for the log book in the rain. (yes granted, due to the nature of the cache, the lid will be off for an extended time)

All I ask is for a little common sense and respect of the cache. I know when I go out, I am always maintaining other peoples caches (Drying them out, replacing wet/full log books, quick tape repair job, new zip lock, throwing out banned items like lighters etc.) I always thought this to be a part of the sport we all love. Helping each other out and respecting others caches.

Oh well. Live and learn. At least the FTF hunt is over so hopefully I can keep it dry without too many worries.

Edited by Shaner316

I just had a cache approved yesterday. The cache is a 65 L storage tote filled with little plastic easter eggs. Inside one of the eggs is the log book. I made it a fun little easter egg hunt for the upcoming holiday. It was mainly placed for families and small children to have a fun time at.

When a cache is hidden for a special event such as this ask your Reviewer if it can be listed the morning of the event, or late the night before. List it and they will come. Quickly!

I had also requested on the cache page that it not be looked for when it rains, due to the fact I did not want the contents to get wet while the lid was off while they searched for the egg with the log book in it. Otherwise it would be all wet for the next cacher(s)

Two issues... many people, like myself, don't read the cache listing until we've looked for the cache and can't find it.

Secondly, once you put a cache out you have little control over when folks are going to hunt it. Some will respect your wishes, some won't, just like in the rest of life.

But wouldn't you know it, the day it gets published, it also rains. But that did not stop a handfull of cachers from going out to look for it so they could try and log an FTF! The worst part was one of the guys that went out was a friend of mine that I work with!! Even when he logged the find he wrote:

The last log on the page (I think it was the 5th guy that day) let me know that the inside of the cache was wet already.

Well....in less than 10 hours of being published, it looks as though I need to go out and do some maintenence already and go dry it out so the next cacher does not have to deal with it.

While I totally see your point there's nothing that you can do to change humanity, so it's best to learn to expect what they will likely do and prepare for it. Know that it will be hunted as soon as it is listed. Know that cachers will hunt it 24/7. Know that the container must be suitable for the location and weather. Know that some cachers may not put it back correctly. Once you think about those things you will make your hides accordingly and enjoy them much more when you don't have to worry about cachers 'doing it right'.

My guess is that you don't play sports either. Some folks are competitive. They want to 'win' and in this game FTF is a win of sorts.

Thank you for hiding a cache, we all appreciate cache owners, just don't have such lofty expectations and you won't be disappointed or get burned out on the game! :)

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I've never been FTF, and it's not something to which I generally aspire. That said, your problem doesn't sound like an FTF problem.

Many people will go out to "power cache" - plow through as many caches in one day as possible, whether they're FTF or not. Some people (and I'm guilty of this) will grab a cache on the way to somewhere they need to be at a specific time, not allowing themselves time for delicacies.

I'm certain that the majority of cachers, both in and out of the groups above, will take great care to replace your cache without any damage. Some, though, won't. Whether it's through negligence, like leaving the container open in the rain, or accidentally - maybe they're just clumsy, failed to notice where the initial hide was, whatever.

I'm sure they probably meant no harm, but I'm also pretty sure that the harm that they did cause isn't directly due to their being FTF hunters.

But wouldn't you know it, the day it gets published, it also rains. But that did not stop a handful of cachers from going out to look for it so they could try and log an FTF! The worst part was one of the guys that went out was a friend of mine that I work with!! Even when he logged the find he wrote:

There are many Layers to Geocaching, some people like different aspects of the Geocaching game. OK I will admit it over 13% of my finds are FTFs so I would be what you call a FTF Hound and would have to say that I would have ignored the weather concern, I mean after all who knows when it is going to rain or not, I would just have been as careful as possible not get the contents wet. Isn't that a ALR anyway ???? LOL

When a NEW cache comes out it is fair game.......

Scubasonic

Edited by Scubasonic

I've never really understood the FTF 'game'. In 2700 finds over 3 years, I've gotten 36 FTF's. Hardly 'hound' status. Really the only reason I have that many is because I stay up all night so any caches that get published after 10pm, I can sometimes get first crack at.

To me, I don't like anyone or anything determining my geocaching 'pace' for me. I cache when I want to and I don't when I don't want to. I don't want to be in a situation where I feel I should go cache when I don't feel like it. For example, I don't want to be engaged in something, get a notification, and feel I should stop what I'm doing and go cache.

For the most part, the people who get in to being FTF hounds see it as a competition. Even saying things in logs like "showed up and during the hunt Cacher B, my competition, showed up to hunt as well." This 'competition' is something I want no part of.

So yeah, FTF is really that important to some cachers.

If your cache can't stand up to the elements where it is placed, it needs a better container.

It's not a problem with the container. It is water tight. The problem is the irresponsible cachers causing the cache to get wet.

If you go back and read the original message you would see that.

If your cache can't stand up to the elements where it is placed, it needs a better container.

It's not a problem with the container. It is water tight. The problem is the irresponsible cachers causing the cache to get wet.

The problem isn't "irresponsible" geocachers. The problem is that your request is not reasonable.

Geocaching is an outdoor game. If your cache is so delicate that it can't stand up to regular wear-and-tear, which includes geocachers finding it in all weather conditions, it needs a better container or it needs to be archived.

It sounds to me like you want to own a geocache, but you don't want to take on the responsibility of maintaining it.

The problem isn't "irresponsible" geocachers. The problem is that your request is not reasonable.

Geocaching is an outdoor game. If your cache is so delicate that it can't stand up to regular wear-and-tear, which includes geocachers finding it in all weather conditions, it needs a better container or it needs to be archived.

It sounds to me like you want to own a geocache, but you don't want to take on the responsibility of maintaining it.

I would agree................... to the OP do you really think that cachers that are out caching 1/2 the day will come to your cache and just before that it starts raining, do you honestly think they are going to stop and say well looks like we can't get this cache because it"s raining and the cache owner says that we can't get it if it's raining.

You had asked if you are being unreasonable in your original post and I would say a BIG YES!!!

Scubasonic

Edited by Scubasonic

What I don't understand are the people saying that they don't read the cache page before hunting so therefore they didn't know it should not be hunted in the rain?

Really? It's raining and you find a cache... so it's ok to leave the lid open for an extended period of time while you check out eggs while rain pours into the cache?

You feel no responsibility for the cache getting wet because you weren't told to not look for it in the rain?

My goodness...

I hardly think he is asking too much for people to respect and try to preserve a cache in the rain. Cover it with your coat, body or move it somewhere else to sign the log book then replace it.

I suppose to some people a FTF really is the more important than anything.. cache be dammed.

Edited by brslk

What I don't understand are the people saying that they don't read the cache page before hunting so therefore they didn't know it should not be hunted in the rain?

Really? It's raining and you find a cache... so it's ok to leave the lid open for an extended period of time while you check out eggs while rain pours into the cache?

You feel no responsibility for the cache getting wet because you weren't told to not look for it in the rain?

My goodness...

I hardly think he is asking too much for people to respect and try to preserve a cache in the rain. Cover it with your coat, body or move it somewhere else to sign the log book then replace it.

I suppose to some people a FTF really is the more important than anything.. cache be dammed.

That opens up a whole world of opportunity now for OTF ('Only to Find') hounds. Find it first and destroy it before anyone else can find it.

Talk about competition!

My goodness...

That opens up a whole world of opportunity now for OTF ('Only to Find') hounds. Find it first and destroy it before anyone else can find it.

Talk about competition!

We could call it "MuggleMania!" The person who destroys the most caches by being FTF'er within a 24 hour period (unbroken period of time) wins a Guinness book of world records award!

This has potential!

My goodness...

He's not asking for people to be careful in the rain - something any sensible geocacher will do without being asked. He's demanding that people not find his cache in the rain.

It's not just FTF hunters who are going to ignore that request. Geocaching is an outdoor game!

The cache should be able to stand up to the rain. Keep the log in plastic bags, and put in another large ziplock for swag.

My goodness...

He's not asking for people to be careful in the rain - something any sensible geocacher will do without being asked. He's demanding that people not find his cache in the rain.

It's not just FTF hunters who are going to ignore that request. Geocaching is an outdoor game!

The cache should be able to stand up to the rain. Keep the log in plastic bags, and put in another large ziplock for swag.

How did I know you would argue with me? You seem to follow me from thread to thread and attack me or claim I attacked you.

I am all for a debate in the forums but if I say it is black you will say it is white. Please stop.

And no, I will not pm you. and you should not pm me.

You said "something any sensible geocacher will do without being asked. He's demanding that people not find his cache in the rain."

You must know in your infinite wisdom that not all cachers are sensible? and please show me where he demanded it? he requested.. and even politely asked...

Please stop twisting words... I and others are sick of people twisting words (not aimed at you)

BTW, he did state how he made it weather friendly... it was only wet because certain FTF cachers left it open while checking out eggs to find the log in the rain. I know I wouldn't do that. Would you? Some might. Wanna defend them?

He said it was sealed.

If people (cachers were all "sensible" then he wouldn't have needed to post would he?)

Good lord.

No more straw men please.

Edited by brslk

He wouldn't be asking people not to hunt the cache in the rain if people were careful not to let the contents to get wet. Not all cachers cache sensibly. :unsure:

Ammo cans are generally considered to be able to stand up in the rain. Mine did stand up for quite some time. One even made it through a flood. But a couple of cachers came through during a storm and suddenly I started getting emails about wet logs.

I don't care what kind of container you have. If a cacher opens it in the rain without covering it, it's gonna get wet inside.

I live in We(t)stern Washington. If I was not willing to cache in the rain I would cache a lot less. I do what I can to keep caches and logs dry. I had never considered that anyone would ask for a cache to only be hunted when it was not raining. :unsure: FTF has nothing to do with the "request" made by the OP in my opinion.

How did I know you would argue with me? You seem to follow me from thread to thread and attack me or claim I attacked you.

When she has Posts #17 & 23, and you don't chime in until post #25, how exactly did she 'follow [you]' ???

Previous threads... following.. keep up.

And you are post #33? please let her speak for herself. You belittle her when you try to talk for her. :unsure:

Lets not make it personal... I said nothing to you so you have nothing to say to me. Please don't attack me.

If YOU wish to pm me then please do. I don't want to derail this thread.

If she has not been sent to banned camp then let her speak for herself.

Edited by brslk

When she has Posts #17 & 23, and you don't chime in until post #25, how exactly did she 'follow [you]' ???

And you are post #33? please let her speak for herself. You belittle her when you try to talk for her. :unsure:

Lets not make it personal... I said nothing to you so you have nothing to say to me. Please don't attack me.

I'm simply pointing out a factual inaccuracy. :D

I'm simply pointing out a factual inaccuracy. :D

Noted.

If you (someone I have never spoken to chooses to talk to me then please do it away from the forums.)

OT... Some people will even have others defend their FTF practices when they can't!

If you (someone I have never spoken to chooses to talk to me then please do it away from the forums.)

:unsure:

I'm free to respond to a public forum comment in public.

But please try to stay on topic and not attack me personally. I find your responses questional.

But please try to stay on topic and not attack me personally. I find your responses questional.

How is pointing out a factual inaccuracy a personal attack?

Again... you have completely left the topic of this thread and I do not wish to be punished for your inability to understand that.

Point out all the facts you want but do it outside of someone elses thread. Do you understand that yet? PM me if you wish or go away... I'm good either way.

Sorry to those that have had to witness what happens when people go nuts and can't remember what the topic is and keep the posts within it. :unsure:

He was actually questioning where the accusation of following was coming from considering the timeline. I had a similar thought when I read your post as well.

While his post is somewhat off topic, it was in response to an off topic post, much like this post is.

He's off topic! We're off topic! This whole line of thought is off topic!

(I do an awful Al Pacino)

ok maybe you are missing the point. The container is 65 L. Its HUGE for a cache. Because the cache requires people to have the lid off while they search is why the request was made. Its only common sense that if its raining and you have the lid of the cache off for more than a few seconds, (and its going to takemore than a few seconds to hunt through 276 plastic eggs for the log book) its going to get wet inside. Not pleasant for the next cacher, or their small child who is excited about the idea of hunting through the eggs but has to deal with 1 or 2 inches of water in the bottom of the cache because the last guy has no respect for the cache because he does not have to maintain it.

Again, if you had read my earlier posts, you will see that I in fact DO maintain my caches as well as those of others that I come across. Thats not the issue. Its the fact that they didn't seem to care if the cache got wet or not.

If it would have gotten muggled, fine. I can deal with that. It Happens. But when people do not have enough common sense to at least cover the cache with an umbrella or something while they are looking instead of letting it just sit there are collect water, thats where my problem is.

My goodness...

My thoughts exactally. Thank you

Well....in less than 10 hours of being published, it looks as though I need to go out and do some maintenence already and go dry it out so the next cacher does not have to deal with it

Rite in the Rain

Thanks. I am familiar with this product and it is great. Its not the log Im worried about. Its the inches of water in the bottom of a huge cache that troubles me.

Thanks for posting the link though. Im sure someone who has never heard of it will find it usefull.

My goodness...

OMG!!! I never "DEMANDED" anything of anyone. It was a polite request due to the nature of the cache. Apparently you seem to think that it is ok to have people treat caches any way they want.

Here's an idea for you...

I think it is supposed to rain here on Thursday afternoon. Ill go out and leave the lid of my cache off for exactally 10 minutes that day. Then on friday, why dont you take a drive down here (Its only about 6 hours away) And you and your child can hunt through all 276 wet Easter eggs as there wil be lots of water in there because 'somebody' was not responsible before you got there.

See how much you enjoy it.

Heck I'll even personally drive you right to the cache. And seriously, who can turn down a trip to Niagara Falls???