Just where do you find your Cache containers?

magpieboy

Well as a reletive newbie to this exciting new pastime for me, I wanted to ask where fellow cachers find suitable containers to hide for the rest of us? I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. I have been looking in local toy shops and just about everywhere I go. I have today found a jem of a store that seems to have been filled with almost boundless possibilities for containers. It's called Princess Auto found at N 49' 53.802 W 097' 04.435 (actually the location of a nice cache right outside the store)

I decide ahead of time what kind of containers are suitable for caches, then I shop places that sell those containers. My definition of "suitable" is rather biased, and includes as a minimum, being able to protect the contents of the cache in various weather conditions. Containers I've found which met my bias are ammo cans, Lock & Locks, soda bottle preforms and authentic Bison tubes. Containers I've found which have utterly failed my tests include black & grey film cans, Altoids tins, (along with any other brand of breath mint tins), cookie tins, hide-a-keys, Gladware, Ziplock baggies, etc.

For my ammo cans, I usually head to Cocoa, where a caching team have a store loaded with all manner of caching stuff, including well priced cans. I also browse Army surplus stores, and regularly attend gun shows, which are both good sources for cans.

For my Lock & Locks, I search various grocery stores, big box stores and Amazon.

For soda bottle preforms I go to Educational Innovations

For Bison tubes, I go to Bison Designs. Their products are of much higher quality than the cheap imitations.

Edit to add: Welcome to the Addiction! :)

Edited by Clan Riffster

I don't "seek out" containers unless I have a very specific idea in mind. However, I am constantly collecting containers right and left as they appear. My family eats a lot of peanut butter. I happen to be painting the house right now, those Dutch Boy paint containers are water resistent and hold a lot of goods. You just have to think geocaching 24 hours a day like the rest of us. You'll also soon be having relatives saving what they think are good containers and in no time, you'll have a collection of hundreds of containers.

Ok. was going to list where I bought a lot of my containers, but thought not. Would give a lot of GC'rs in my area tip offs to what I have out there.

I do look at a lot of different things when I am shopping. Very micro to large containers.

I practice CITO where ever I go. One time I came across an old plastic mail box. Had some cracks in it. Covered with camo duct tape and now it is a TB Hotel.

Good thing to do is if you find a container, get it ready for the wild. Put it outside somewhere, if you have a yard, let it sit out in your garden for at least a few rain storms. Make sure you have a log in it to check for dampness. Use your imagination.

At times I will come across something that I think will make a great cache and then find a good place for it. Sometimes I already have an idea where I am going to put it.

Magnet Key holders aren't the greatest I admit. Make sure you put your log in a zip baggie inside. It will work. You may place a cache a certain way expecting that it won't get wet, but you can't always guarantee that finders will place it "exactly" as you did. Therefore a container that will work the way you place it, might not work once GC'rs place it back the way they "thought" you hid it or think you "should" have hid it.

Lot of variables to remember.

There is also an online "Shop for Gear" link on the left side of Geocaching.com. They have containers that have been proven worthy. But then again, one GC'r leaves the top on crooked and you have a container full of water.

Expect the worse and someone will out do you.

Magnet Key holders aren't the greatest I admit. Make sure you put your log in a zip baggie inside.

Clan Riffster's Container Rule # 3:

If you must include a ziplock to protect the contents, your cache has failed at a very basic level. :laughing:

I can't begin to count the number of ziplocks I've found with little slices in the side and/or holes poked through them. I'm thinking the little slices must be paper cuts, from repeated removal/insertion of the log. Heck, if paper will cut skin, it'll sure cut flimsy plastic. The most common culprit in hole poking are ink pens.

Don't get me wrong. I always include a ziplock in my hides, but that's for backup, not primary protection.

Ive made a decent list of different containers/places over the last few months. Hope these help generate some ideas.

Sprinkler Heads; Lowes/Menards/HomeDepot, etc. Place bison in the bottom.

Reflector Magnets; Lowes/Menards/HomeDepot, etc.

Lock n Locks; JCpenney, Target, Walmart, Military BX/PX

Peanut Butter Containers; As you use them (one of my absolute Favs to use). Soak in water to breakdown PB. Double wash before placing.

Matchstick Holder (Walmart- Sporting goods, $1 ea)

Nano's; Ebay

Birdhouse; Make them, or even have neighborhood kids make them. Seal seams with weatherproof sealer. Place PB container or similar inside if desired.

Pill Containers; Walgreens, Walmart, CVS, etc.. Or find someone that takes alot if meds.

Fence Post Cap; Lowes/Menards/HomeDepot, etc.

Ammo Can; Currently in high demand and hard to locate, but Army/Navy Surplus or Ebay. (dont pay more than $7-8 each).

Water Bottle; Clearance rows at the big box stores.

Soup Carriers; Clearance rows at the big box stores.

Film Containers; Walgreens, Walmart, CVS. Flaw is not usually watertight, and cant rely on a ziploc. I try to use only black ones because spray paint will wear off. Secure with a rock/along fence post, etc.

Mint Tins; As you or others use them.

Key Holders; Any big box stores. Another favorite use.

Protein (Workout Supplements) Plastic; Have people that workout save their containers. Double wash before use.

Powder milk mix containers (for choco/strawberry milk)

For any of those that would require a ziploc, make it into a skirt lifter (I know, I know.. some people hate skirt lifters, sorry). There is also tons of websites that sell different types/sizes of containers.

Hope this helps.

I think Dollarama has some lock and lock style containers.

If you get Dollarama lock n lock knock-offs, be prepared to replace them a couple of times a year - the tabs will break off quickly. Real lock n locks should last 3-5 years (maybe longer), so they turn out to be cost effective and will protect the contents of the cache better.

I think Dollarama has some lock and lock style containers.

If you get Dollarama lock n lock knock-offs, be prepared to replace them a couple of times a year - the tabs will break off quickly. Real lock n locks should last 3-5 years (maybe longer), so they turn out to be cost effective and will protect the contents of the cache better.

True... I was just thinking about places I had seen them locally.... good advice.

Lock and Locks make really great cache containers and come in a wide variety of sizes big and small

They have a permanent rubber seal in the lid and are really easy to close securely. They are found in the food container aisle.

The best place for price on them is at job lot, but sometimes they have tons of them in all sizes and sometimes they are slim on variety. right now they only have two kinds at the job lot i go to.

I decide ahead of time what kind of containers are suitable for caches, then I shop places that sell those containers. My definition of "suitable" is rather biased, and includes as a minimum, being able to protect the contents of the cache in various weather conditions. Containers I've found which met my bias are ammo cans, Lock & Locks, soda bottle preforms and authentic Bison tubes. Containers I've found which have utterly failed my tests include black & grey film cans, Altoids tins, (along with any other brand of breath mint tins), cookie tins, hide-a-keys, Gladware, Ziplock baggies, etc.

For my ammo cans, I usually head to Cocoa, where a caching team have a store loaded with all manner of caching stuff, including well priced cans. I also browse Army surplus stores, and regularly attend gun shows, which are both good sources for cans.

For my Lock & Locks, I search various grocery stores, big box stores and Amazon.

For soda bottle preforms I go to Educational Innovations

For Bison tubes, I go to Bison Designs. Their products are of much higher quality than the cheap imitations.

Edit to add: Welcome to the Addiction! :laughing:

We have had good logs that are hide a key.

Edited by Essap

Ammo cans are still plentiful in my area, the local online military surplus auctions sell them by the pallet full.

Watch Craigslist for sales too... This fellow near me has hundreds, maybe someone near you does as well.

http://bham.craigslist.org/spo/1505182872.html

As far as the 'shortage of ammo cans' rumor that keeps floating around, here are thousands of them for sale all around the US... and that's just a fraction of them that you will find for sale!

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/ende...k=P_Category_Id

A quick Google search finds some for sale right in your home town of Winnipeg!

http://www.army-surplus.ca/produits_detail...&cat_main=6

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

My favorite source of cache containers are objects or containers that I happen to find while geocaching. They could be on the trail, the side of the road or near the gz of a cache. Some objects make great cache containers and some make perfect camo.

While I do prefer an all plastic (or o-ring type seal) container, I am not opposed to using a small metal box with a baggie inside. Sure, they need more maintenance than caches that don't require a baggie, but I don't mind maintaining my caches and place them with that it mind. If I am going to hide in the midst of the wilderness down a mile or two hike.....then the integrity requirements for that cache goes to the top of the scale. But with a micro (or nano) park and grab less than 5 mins from my house....then the integrity requirements for the cache container are to keep the log clean and dry.

Also, incorporate the camo as one of the layers of integrity for the cache itself. Some plastics will not hold up well to U.V. or direct exposure to the elements. Slipping a tube inside another 'sleeve' or object can extend the life considerably.

I like to use containers that are 'fun' :D to discover. So I am always looking for natural or unusual objects or containers at flea markets, arts and crafts supply stores, five and dimes, thrift stores, garage sales, around the house and at work. The thicker and more pliable plastics (like stablized polypropylene) are really good.

Good old PBJ jars are also fine, but I always wrap them up well to protect them from U.V. and direct exposure to the elements. Thin plastic can quickly become brittle if you don't. For the same reason I don't recommned spraying paint on thin (especially clear) plastics. The solvents do a number on them. :D

Well as a reletive newbie to this exciting new pastime for me, I wanted to ask where fellow cachers find suitable containers to hide for the rest of us? I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. I have been looking in local toy shops and just about everywhere I go. I have today found a jem of a store that seems to have been filled with almost boundless possibilities for containers. It's called Princess Auto found at N 49' 53.802 W 097' 04.435 (actually the location of a nice cache right outside the store)

Walmart, Lock n Lock.

Nice because they also carry just about every type of swag and logbook that you need.

Edited by Team Cotati

along with lock-n-lock and ammo cans (not yet placed :D ) i also just keep an eye out for stuff that may be broken that will work... i had a mini maglite that my kids broke beyond repair...i ended up cutting it in half and making two micros out of it...both of which are now placed... I also had an air hose (from my air nailer) that broke... i modified the end fittings and made two nanos...(I always water test any of my home made containers by soaking them under water for a couple of hours)...sometimes it just comes down to thinking about containers and thinking about how they will handle the weather

Magnet Key holders aren't the greatest I admit. Make sure you put your log in a zip baggie inside.

Clan Riffster's Container Rule # 3:

If you must include a ziplock to protect the contents, your cache has failed at a very basic level. :D

KBI’s Container Observation # 8651:

No matter how perfectly weatherproof one’s container may be, someone will figure out a way to close it wrong, to damage it, or will forget to close it at all.

Hence the need for a ziplock for the logbook. Which is not a bozoproof solution either, but it helps.

Don't get me wrong. I always include a ziplock in my hides, but that's for backup, not primary protection.

Sounds like you are already familiar with KBI’s Container Observation # 8651. :D

In the past I mainly used ammo cans for full size hides and for micros, used those one dollar plastic match containers you can get in the camping section of WalMart, either painted camo colors or camo with tape.

Recently we have had very good results with lock-and-lock containers. You can pick them up at WalMart for about $2 for a medium size container, and if you paint with that special spray paint (cannot think of the name right now) that bonds to plastic, you do not need to sand before painting.

I suspect this works OK because we are in Florida, so up north where there is ice and snow I suspect results are much different with plastic.

Another approach that many use is recycled containers -- but we have not had much success finding things that do not leak.

Have fun!

I've been wondering about where to get Camo colored tape to cover the non-camo containers. It may be different up here in Canada but in general are you finding it at Wal-Mart or Target, or do hunting /fishing stores like Cabelas carry it?

Canadian Tire, in the paint section with the green and blue painter's tape.

OMG. thank you all. May the sun shine on your face and a warm wind gently push you to each and every cache you seek. BTW in Winnipeg this only happens for about 5 months a year. lol. I'm a machinist by trade and have already started to use my mad inventor head and will be scattering my first couple of hides in my local area very soon. I would love to be known for my sense of uniqueness for my caches. Thank you all again.

I've been wondering about where to get Camo colored tape to cover the non-camo containers. It may be different up here in Canada but in general are you finding it at Wal-Mart or Target, or do hunting /fishing stores like Cabelas carry it?

I just did my first two ammo cans and used Camo tape on them. I searched 3 Walmarts, 2 Targets, a Gander Mountain, and a Home Depot with no luck. I ended up finding the Ammo Cans at a Military supply store and the tape at Dicks Sporting Goods.

Dicks sells a roll for about $5 near the hunting accessories. The rolls are kinda small so each can took slightly over 1 roll to do. I was very happy with the results. I took so much time on them I will be kind of sad if they go missing or get muggled. I have attached pics below of the end result of the cans and a pic of the brand of tape I used.

4182968153_f9c111ee3c.jpg

4182973585_d6aeb4a672.jpg

4182971767_dfee863910.jpg

:D Just a thought...I've not read about or found so far....but does anyone ever use a dessicant pouch in thier caches? I'm building a few at the moment and will report on the success of the dessicant on keeping the paper content DRY.

FYI, Scoopable kitty litter is a good dissicant, as is white rice.

The problem with dessicant pouches is they are not going to absorb more water than they can hold. Once they are saturated, they are done and can create more of a mess.

:D Just a thought...I've not read about or found so far....but does anyone ever use a dessicant pouch in thier caches? I'm building a few at the moment and will report on the success of the dessicant on keeping the paper content DRY.

wow that is a super great idea, ive found a few caches that are damp or wet. A few were quite moldy.

I just put out my first cache and i think i will do that for subsequent caches

Thank you... another idea done many times before I think. The custom machined "container" that I have made has a false bottom with industrial dessicant held under it. I hope my hours of machining pay off with a Cache that challenges and delights in equal measures. :D

Edited by magpieboy

bittsen Posted Today, 08:10 PM

QUOTE(magpieboy @ Dec 13 2009, 08:02 PM)

Just a thought...I've not read about or found so far....but does anyone ever use a dessicant pouch in thier caches? I'm building a few at the moment and will report on the success of the dessicant on keeping the paper content DRY.

FYI, Scoopable kitty litter is a good dissicant, as is white rice.

The problem with dessicant pouches is they are not going to absorb more water than they can hold. Once they are saturated, they are done and can create more of a mess

Wouldnt rice or kitty litter react in the same way as dessicant pouches? Once its full thats it.

Edited by lavender5215

Desiccant pouches are designed to absorb only the smallest amounts of moisture that may enter a sealed package. Once they reach a saturation point, (which happens very kwickly), they will act like a wet sponge, attracting all sorts of unpleasantness. Rather than rely on those things, I prefer utilizing containers which have been demonstrated to resist moisture.

Funny you should mention that. After searching around and not finding any I just ordered 50 1g silica gel pouches on Ebay. They were only $5 including shipping. They obviously wont help if there is a huge leak but throwing one in with the cache log should help.

Edited by MustangTim

:antenna: Just a thought...I've not read about or found so far....but does anyone ever use a dessicant pouch in thier caches? I'm building a few at the moment and will report on the success of the dessicant on keeping the paper content DRY.

Funny you should mention that. After searching around and not finding any I just ordered 50 1g silica gel pouches on Ebay. They were only $5 including shipping. They obviously wont help if there is a huge leak but throwing one in with the cache log should help.

I aggree that this should help with condensation. If you have a leak, it will be no good (unless you put all 50 in there).

Despite what some differing opinions you will see here, I have found many peanut butter and mayonaise jar caches, and can only recall exactly one that appeared to have been victim to any more than a few gentle mouse nibbles. They need to be well washed, but they seem to hold up well here in Minnesota, at least.

Edited by knowschad

Despite what some differing opinions you will see here, I have found many peanut butter and mayonaise jar caches, and can only recall exactly one that appeared to have been victim to any more than a few gentle mouse nibbles. They need to be well washed, but they seem to hold up well here in Minnesota, at least.

I agree. They hold up quite well. Wrap them up in camo tape and they last even longer. Usually what tends to eventually go is the lid - I've seen a couple with cracked lids but they were about 3 years out in the wild.