Should I give FTF credit?

There are a few cache listings in my area that have been edited to say something like, "congratulations to Isonzo Karst for FTF". I hate this.

It occurs to me that the only way to NOT have this happen would be

1) don't log online for a while, in the hopes that the cache owner would GET IT - but that's rude to those who want FTF and are relying on the online log to determine if it's available

2) Never ever ever be first to a cache - but that constrains me from hunting some caches when I have the time to get to them

3) cache owners could STOP advertising ONE finder's name on their listings

I vote for #3.

Thanks

Hi,

I have a geocache that I setup in an area with difficult terrain that was found on 8-30-09. But, the person has not logged the find. Should I still give him credit for the FTF if he has not logged it online?

Thanks,

Geocache in question:

GC1VVZK

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...76-a7f030abfcbb

Assuming nobody else has found the cache and logged it online, I'd post a maintenance note on the cache that went something like:

"I Checked on the cache today and saw in the logbook that it has been found."

That way you're just acknowledging the fact that there has been a FTF without indicating who the finder was.

If the cache has been found, and nobody logs it, it is the CO's duty to report the fact. That's just the fair thing to do. Seekers should be made aware so they do not attempt to be FTF only to be thwarted by a lack of information. ;)

If I mounted a search for a five star terrain cache that hadn't been found yet in four or five months and found the log signed, I would be REALLY ticked off at the owner for not alerting folks to the fact that it had been found, if he was aware of the fact. !!!

You should post a note NOW!!!!

Edited by SixDogTeam

when i have a firstfind i prefer not to have it plastered on the cache page.

i think it's crass.

I haven't purposely tried to be FTF in years. A couple of times I was by "accident", I actually requested that I not be immortalized for all eternity on the cache page. ;)

Nor do I immortalize FTF'ers for all eternity on my own cache pages. I'm still waiting for someone to request it, as I have heard of that happening.

In this particular case though, I would actually indicate on the cache page that the cache has already been found by a non-online logger.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Since when did having a bit of fun become anathema to geocaching?

it didn't.

getting the firstfind is fun. having it advertised is crass.

having sex is (i hear) fun. advertising your conquests is crass.

i never cease to be amazed at people who write "yay! firstfind!" all over the first page of a logbook, as if having their signature there at the top of the page isn't enough.

You know, I never thought of the whole "posting FTF on the cache page" issue. Come to think of it, how many of us actually revisit the online pages of caches we find? I think I'm going to edit mine and remove that portion. I've only got three hidden, but all of them have been found and logged so FTF isn't really an issue any more.

If the cache has been found, and nobody logs it, it is the CO's duty to report the fact. That's just the fair thing to do. Seekers should be made aware so they do not attempt to be FTF only to be thwarted by a lack of information. ;)

If I mounted a search for a five star terrain cache that hadn't been found yet in four or five months and found the log signed, I would be REALLY ticked off at the owner for not alerting folks to the fact that it had been found, if he was aware of the fact. !!!

You should post a note NOW!!!!

Seriously? LOL

Hi,

I have a geocache that I setup in an area with difficult terrain that was found on 8-30-09. But, the person has not logged the find. Should I still give him credit for the FTF if he has not logged it online?

Thanks,

Geocache in question:

GC1VVZK

Assuming nobody else has found the cache and logged it online, I'd post a maintenance note on the cache that went something like:

That way you're just acknowledging the fact that there has been a FTF without indicating who the finder was.

That is an excellent system.

Hi,

Thanks,

Geocache in question:

GC1VVZK

This is the most reasonable and balanced solution I've read in the whole thread.

it didn't.

i never cease to be amazed at people who write "yay! firstfind!" all over the first page of a logbook, as if having their signature there at the top of the page isn't enough.

I see, so we can have fun as long as we keep it all good and proper and contain ourselves. fun ;)

That said, my own joy doesn't require the owner to reciprocate by re-posting it.

Regardless, nobody is going to think less of a cache because somebody FTFed it.

it didn't.

Translation: "Anyone who doesn't do it the way I would do it is WRONG."

I think to imply such a thing in the forums is ... well, crass.

it didn't.

Interesting statement.

it didn't.

You must have a secrete decoder translating ring, because I didn't get that from her post. Where can I get one too? I'd like to find out what people really mean when they post here. It seems that you and handful of others have this ring and it's not fair.

it didn't.

Interesting statement.

Thank you. ;)

I happen to enjoy seeing the congratulatory FTF thingies that appear on many cache pages. It’s cool. When I see those, I see people having a good time. I fully understand it’s all informal and totally non-sanctioned, and I don’t get into it so much myself, but for the most part it’s just good, clean, harmless fun.

And I don’t particularly like it when I hear someone try to claim that their own version of harmless, informal fun is somehow more worthy, more correct or more proper that someone else’s harmless, informal fun.

"Crass" is a perfect word for those claims.

You must have a secrete decoder translating ring, because I didn't get that from her post. Where can I get one too? I'd like to find out what people really mean when they post here. It seems that you and handful of others have this ring and it's not fair.

I don’t care what anyone says; sarcasm is always fun. ;)

You are correct in observing that I may have misunderstood. Of course, you may have as well.

If I misconstrued Flask’s meaning, she is welcome to correct me and explain what she really meant.

Good answer.

I like that suggestion too.

it didn't.

Interesting statement.

Thank you. ;)

I happen to enjoy seeing the congratulatory FTF thingies that appear on many cache pages. It’s cool. When I see those, I see people having a good time. I fully understand it’s all informal and totally non-sanctioned, and I don’t get into it so much myself, but for the most part it’s just good, clean, harmless fun.

And I don’t particularly like it when I hear someone try to claim that their own version of harmless, informal fun is somehow more worthy, more correct or more proper that someone else’s harmless, informal fun.

I hear you. I just can't help but wonder how you decide who is worthy of that sentiment? You didn't think that my version of harmless, informal fun was worth considering. I think you called it "unnecessary". Wasn't that it? Or was it "unneeded"? Either way it's the same point. Recognition of the FTF on a cache page in "unnecessary".

it didn't.

Interesting statement.

Thank you. ;)

I think that restating somebody's opinion in a manner that attempts to interpret it as an extreme absolute is crass.

I also think that I'm really not beholden to what somebody else feels about how I might celebrate my first to find in my log. They are welcome to form an opinion of it, but I'm also welcome to enjoy my fun in a way that doesn't directly affect their lives. Neither of us is harming the other.

I don’t care what anyone says; sarcasm is always fun. ;)

You are correct in observing that I may have misunderstood. Of course, you may have as well.

If I misconstrued Flask’s meaning, she is welcome to correct me and explain what she really meant.

Fighting with myself on posting, but I have to agree with KBI here. I don't see how you could read anything else into a comment about comparing an FTF with bragging about sexual conquests - which pretty much anybody considers as WRONG. If I too have misunderstood, then... what KBI said...

If you are asking if you should put a "congratulations" on the cache page, NO. If they wanted the online credit, they would have taken it.

But, make sure that you don't allow someone else to claim the FTF.

What she said^^

Bittsen's a girl? All this time I thought it was a guy. :)

You couldn't tell from the unicorn on her avatar? ;)

I hear you. I just can't help but wonder how you decide who is worthy of that sentiment? You didn't think that my version of harmless, informal fun was worth considering. I think you called it "unnecessary". Wasn't that it? Or was it "unneeded"? Either way it's the same point. Recognition of the FTF on a cache page in "unnecessary".

I don’t see any connection between the two subjects.

On one hand, you proposed the addition of a new functionality to the website. I stated no objection to your proposal; I only asked you to explain why you thought it was really necessary in light of a couple of points I made. No offense was intended; I simply made a suggestion that I sincerely meant as an easier option for you to solve your problem. You proceeded to respond several times as if I were fighting you, and never seemed to understand my meaning, so I gave up and exited your thread.

Flask, on the other hand, openly belittled her fellow cachers, people I see as having harmless fun. She clearly implied that her way of doing things is the more proper way. She expressed her opinion of those cachers; I expressed my opinion of her opinion.

If you see any relevance between those two discussions, and if you believe I have committed an inconsistency for which I should atone, then I would be very interested in hearing your reasoning.

I think that restating somebody's opinion in a manner that attempts to interpret it as an extreme absolute is crass.

Nobody says you have to share my interpretation.

If you agree with Flask’s sentiments, I can see why you might disagree with my opinion of her opinion.

If you wish to defend her sentiment, then please, don’t let me stop you.

I also think that I'm really not beholden to what somebody else feels about how I might celebrate my first to find in my log. They are welcome to form an opinion of it, but I'm also welcome to enjoy my fun in a way that doesn't directly affect their lives. Neither of us is harming the other.

... which is exactly why I disagree with Flask’s lecture. What possible good does it do for her to belittle you in the forums? Why can’t she accept that her preferred version of play is not any better than yours, only different?

As you correctly point out, she has every right to belittle her fellow cachers. I also have every right to express my opinion of her opinion.

So how is it crass when I do it, but not when she does it?

I don’t see any connection between the two subjects.

On one hand, you proposed the addition of a new functionality to the website. I stated no objection to your proposal; I only asked you to explain why you thought it was really necessary in light of a couple of points I made. No offense was intended; I simply made a suggestion that I sincerely meant as an easier option for you to solve your problem. You proceeded to respond several times as if I were fighting you, and never seemed to understand my meaning, so I gave up and exited your thread.

Flask, on the other hand, openly belittled her fellow cachers, people I see as having harmless fun. She clearly implied that her way of doing things is the more proper way. She expressed her opinion of those cachers; I expressed my opinion of her opinion.

If you see any relevance between those two discussions, and if you believe I have committed an inconsistency for which I should atone, then I would be very interested in hearing your reasoning.

I never said you should atone for anything. You are who you are. Nothing I could do, if I were inclined to do anything, could change that.

I do think you were both negative in your response to my idea and unwilling to accept that I am of a different mind than you. No matter how well meaning you wished to have me conform to your way of thinking.

I won't drag this thread any farther astray. Sorry, OP, for the side track.

Nobody says you have to share my interpretation.

If you agree with Flask’s sentiments, I can see why you might disagree with my opinion of her opinion.

If you wish to defend her sentiment, then please, don’t let me stop you.

... which is exactly why I disagree with Flask’s lecture. What possible good does it do for her to belittle you in the forums? Why can’t she accept that her preferred version of play is not any better than yours, only different?

As you correctly point out, she has every right to belittle her fellow cachers. I also have every right to express my opinion of her opinion.

So how is it crass when I do it, but not when she does it?

I'm not really feeling that belittled. You know, it's really up to you to decide how you feel. Perhaps you're being too thin skinned?

I'm not really feeling that belittled.

Neither am I.

You know, it's really up to you to decide how you feel.

Agreed.

Perhaps you're being too thin skinned?

Nah. Just observant.

My observation apparently bothers you, though.

Why is that? ;)

I'm not really feeling that belittled.

Neither am I.

You know, it's really up to you to decide how you feel.

Agreed.

Perhaps you're being too thin skinned?

Nah. Just observant.

My observation apparently bothers you, though.

Why is that? ;)

Nicely played, but I think we're both failing to observe how far off topic we've taken this thread. You can observe the email address on my profile page if you want to discuss it further.

If you are asking if you should put a "congratulations" on the cache page, NO. If they wanted the online credit, they would have taken it.

What she said^^

Bittsen's a girl? All this time I thought it was a guy. ;)

I get that a lot.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

My thoughts on the whole recognition thing are as follows. If you don't want to be immortalized on my cache pages, don't go for the FTF on my caches!!

FTF.jpg

Hi,

Thanks,

Geocache in question:

GC1VVZK

Not considerate enough of other cachers by not logging online within a reasonable time. No FTF.

I'd have credited the next person listed in the physical log.

Good thing that you checked the physical log, huh?

The finder obviously doesn't care much about FTF so to heck with him.

This could have gotten real messy if there had been an FTF prize in there, huh?

Edited by Team Cotati

What she said^^

I get that a lot.

My thoughts on the whole recognition thing are as follows. If you don't want to be immortalized on my cache pages, don't go for the FTF on my caches!!

FTF.jpg

Hey Bittsen I got 4 of your caches FTF I didn't see tht recognition on my page, I'm so hurt I could cry :):):(:) LOL

ScubaSonic

What she said^^

I get that a lot.

FTF.jpg

Hey Bittsen I got 4 of your caches FTF I didn't see tht recognition on my page, I'm so hurt I could cry :):):(:) LOL

ScubaSonic

Cut me some slack. I just made the graphic a couple days ago.

I double dare you to get FTF on my next cache though!

Edited by bittsen

Hi,

Thanks,

Geocache in question:

GC1VVZK

Not considerate enough of other cachers by not logging online within a reasonable time. No FTF.

I'd have credited the next person listed in the physical log.

Good thing that you checked the physical log, huh?

The finder obviously doesn't care much about FTF so to heck with him.

This could have gotten real messy if there had been an FTF prize in there, huh?

How do you deny somebody a FTF? My FTF score only exists on my profile page because I put them there. How do you take that away from somebody?

You know, I never thought of the whole "posting FTF on the cache page" issue. Come to think of it, how many of us actually revisit the online pages of caches we find? I think I'm going to edit mine and remove that portion. I've only got three hidden, but all of them have been found and logged so FTF isn't really an issue any more.

"...how many of us..."

While of course I have no exact answer, the answer is waaaayyyyy too many. ;)

Edited by Team Cotati