WHAT IS A GEOCACHER

grammynmaggie

What type of person is a geocacher? What makes up such a person?

I am haveing problems with getting anyone in my family or friends intrested in the

fun I am having. They all think im nuts, wasting time , gas, energy etc on this new found

hobby. I have to remind them tha I am "retired" 65 and have earned the right to do

what I want. LOL.

got any answers?

thanks

blessings to all

G&M

Ditto. My family and friends also think Im nuts. If you ask me to go on a walk I will say no.....but ask me to go hiking 2 miles down in the woods to search for a film canister.....I'm off the couch. So we just have to leave the family and go. Im 68 and also have earned the right to do what I want.

Wish we lived close to each other.

Happy Hunting

I am haveing problems with getting anyone in my family or friends intrested in the

fun I am having. They all think im nuts, wasting time , gas, energy etc on this new found

hobby. I have to remind them tha I am "retired" 65 and have earned the right to do

what I want. LOL.

got any answers?

thanks

blessings to all

G&M

Geocachers make up all walks of life.

Remember, geocaching is an activity that gets attached to other activities. Things like Hiking, biking, walking, grocery shopping, etc. If you have a family member who likes to goto the mall, take her to the mall and visit the two or three caches that are bound to be there. Same can be said for the park, etc.

I'm 62 and mostly retired and feel it's time to act like a kid again. The people who know about the geocaching I do think it sounds like a lot of fun and appear to be very interested. I don't believe that I've ever heard anyone say anything negative. I teach a class or two in a local radiology program, and most of the students are in their 20's and 30's. They think geocaching sounds like a fun activity. Perhaps the reason I'm getting positive responses is due to the age of the audience?

what I want. LOL.

got any answers?

thanks

blessings to all

G&M

Your family is correct!

Why would anyone collect stamps, coins, cars, boats, baseball cards; why would anyone spend time and money to look deep into the heavens, travel around the world just to see birds migrate?

You are correct, you have earned the right to do what you want. Enjoy! :laughing:

EDIT: Just so you know, geocaching is a sickness. Get treatment now, before it is too late! :D

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

"EDIT: Just so you know, geocaching is a sickness. Get treatment now, before it is too late!"

It is highly addictive isn't it?

For me, a geocacher is someone who likes adventure and a good challenge ... either physical or mental ... or both. I don't care much for urban caching but I find that nothing is as satisfying as roaming the local mountains trying to find a cache or two.

What type of person is a geocacher?

I think it's someone who knows that there is more to something than what you see on the surface. They can think outside the box a little better than most.

Ask the average person what's under that lamp post skirt or what is behind that tree /rock and they will say "I don't know, maybe bugs". Ask a geocacher that same question and they will say "I don't know, lets find out". Take the average person somewhere and ask them to hide a small box and they will find 2 or 3 place to hide it. Do the same with a geocacher and they will find 5 or 6 places then state that if they could add a little camo to it, they could then hide it in a few more spots.

We are not better, just a little different.

what I want. LOL.

got any answers?

thanks

blessings to all

G&M

Hmmm. All the signs are there.

OK. I think it's time for you to face some home truths...

I think you should do a search for your nearest up 'n' coming Event cache. Make the committment, log a "Will Attend" note.

Then, at the appointed time, go along to the venue. Enter cautiously and scan the surroundings... You should be able to spot The Others - they will likely be gathered into a loosely knit group, they may have the tell-tale signs of GPSs hanging around their necks, or perhaps you'll notice them fondling shiny coins or admiring small cuddly toys...

Take a deep breath and approach them...

Then (and you may like to practice this first, in the privacy of your own home) declare loudly and with conviction,

"Hello. My name is grammynmaggie. I have come here today because I am a geocacher."

I hope this plan will enable you to find support and friendship. They will help you manage your new-found addiction.

MrsB :D

what I want. LOL.

got any answers?

thanks

blessings to all

G&M

Geocachers make up all walks of life.

Remember, geocaching is an activity that gets attached to other activities. Things like Hiking, biking, walking, grocery shopping, etc. If you have a family member who likes to goto the mall, take her to the mall and visit the two or three caches that are bound to be there. Same can be said for the park, etc.

Exactly, for this "outdoor enthusiast" it has been added to some of my favorite activities and has gotten my wife out more with me in the great outdoors. I have been a long time ATV explorer (treading lightly) also into photography and now have thrown gecaching into the mix. Living in rural arizona there is much to see/photograph/and now geocache. Just another excuse to "get out there". The geocaching has also led us to do more hiking which of course is a good thing. Dogs get an occasional truck run/walk when we opt for a truck based geocache run too. It's all good.....

You need a GPS device.

I think this is key. If your apathetic friends and family had their own decent handheld GPSr, and they see that the bearing to the nearest cache is just, say, 300 feet away, wouldn’t that get them off the couch?

On the flipside, I’ve been caching for several months, and my GPSr was stolen a few weeks ago. This was on a vacation where I had planned to do lots of caching. But I completely lost interest until the UPS delivery of GyPSy II. Once I had it in hand, I was back in the game, intent as always. And the whole time, I had a car GPS I could have used as a (crummy) backup, and even cache icons on the map. It's just not the same without GyPSy.

So my theory is, if you want a friend or family member to become a Geocacher, they need their own GPSr.

But I don't think buying it for them is the answer. And maybe all they really need is to know how to get to the cache -- so for some people, just giving them a map + icon is enough to get them hooked. But if they already do own an old GPSr that can at least give bearing and distance, that may be a good start.

Edited by kunarion

You need a GPS device.

Funny....

I was asked 'Whats the pay off of doing what you do, what do you get out of it?'

So, after I gave them my deer in the headlight look, I told them how I have found *new* places in a city where I have lived for 13 years. I have found parks and trails I never knew existed, I have a new-found love for the great outdoors which not only adds to my health but my mind as well. Who can be uptight walking in the backwoods listening to nothing but nature....umm, until you get that one DNF that you know was placed there to personally irk you into an utter meltdown of nerves and you want to throw your GPS into the next ravine....but alas I digress.

A Geocacher is all walks, all forms and all kinds of people....the one thing they have in common is they all enjoy the thrill of the 'hunt'!

I too end up caching alone, but I know in time I will harrass those around me and make some new geocaching pals.! Just gotta find me an event to hook up with!

Good Luck to you and keep doing what makes you happy!

Seragilo

I have been trying to figure out why I like it so much.

This is what I have found out about me

-Have always liked hiding Easter eggs!!

-I love the woods!

-Love electronic gadgets that improve my quality of life (GPS)

Also enjoy the thrill of being undercover and stealthy when finding and placing urban caches!

My question is "what gender makes up the majority in Geocaching?" Seems about 50-50 from what I have seen so far, but I'm very new to this.

Edited by CowboyChris

My question is "what gender makes up the majority in Geocaching?" Seems about 50-50 from what I have seen so far, but I'm very new to this.

One really good thing about geocaching is the fact that it is truly genderless, unlike many sports -- if we were to call it a sport. By applying a "username", a cacher (can) remain genderless. :unsure:

Likewise, age has little or no bearing.

For me, it is about the "Indiana Jones" of it all. I love the idea that somewhere out there is the headpiece to the staff of Ra, and all I have to do is be smart enough to go find it. Even if the real treasure is just a logbook to sign!

PLUS, I am a gadget freak, so anything that requires me (or allows me) to spend a bunch of my hard-earned dollars on a small electronic device is great.

PLUS, being outside is something I have always enjoyed more than being inside, so after teaching for 40 hours a week in a classroom with NO WINDOWS, any time in the full view of the sky is good time.

BTW, my father, when asked will say, "No I don't have any interest in doing that". But then when we drove to see his brother for a weekend, and i took them on just one or two in the area, they started asking.... "Well, where is the next one?" And they are in their 60's too! I think my Dad just doesn't want to admit how cool he thinks it is...

Edited by kraushad

A geocacher is someone who enjoys finding things, has a sense of adventure, and likes to use a different filter on their travels. Go to Arlington National Cemetery and you will be led to parts of the property that rarely have visitors, but have a connection to the top destinations memorials and graves.

Travel the back roads of your own county and discover hidden parks, streams, and views you never knew were there before. Return to your childhood home and discover that there is a cache in the same plot of woods you played in as a little child; and even more amazing is that the woods are still there. Those are some of the experiences I have had in the past 7+ years.

A geocacher is also someone who enjoys sharing these locations to others by hiding caches in these spots.

Otherwise we wouldn't have any caches to find!

I also enjoy the secret society part of it, especially when I walk past some of my urban micros on the way to work and see dozens of other unsuspecting and unaware people walk right past, and in one case under my hides. :unsure:

http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2054

Something related on the Aussie site.

From that site...

your friends turn up un-announced to take you fishing/biking/4wheeling/whatever & you say;

"where we going? .... just gotta go to the loo, be right with ya ...."

Then you run inside, grab the GPSr & quickly check the net for any new nearby caches.

Guilty!

This is a repeat of a posting I wrote for another post about "you maybe one"

Some of my sisters consider me an addict and want me to go through a 12 step program. I was told by someone else that an addict is only an addict if they hurt someone or them self. Instead if you do something you enjoy and helps you in a positive way it is considered a PASSION.

I enjoy caching because it gets me out of the house and off my butt. I get exercise on ones I hike or bike to. When I get depressed I cache because it takes my mind off my problems for awhile because I am focused on the elusive cache. Plus I get to see sometimes beautiful sites that are so great they actually make me cry in awe. The only way I see caching harming me or someone else is if I look too much at the GPS while driving, leave work for a FTF and get myself fired or get myself into a dangerous situation because I didn't heed the warnings of the cache page or my surroundings.

I've even made more friends geocaching then any other time in my life.

So What is a geocacher? Someone who goes out and enjoys life, the outdoors and friendship

Edited by jellis

what I want. LOL.

got any answers?

thanks

blessings to all

G&M

YES just go do it and forget what they say, after all are you living for them or is it your life.

ScubaSonic

what I want. LOL.

got any answers?

thanks

blessings to all

G&M

Would your family prefer that you stay home, sitting in your rocking chair in front of the boob-tube, and waste away for the rest of your life? Don't you listen to those people! You do what makes YOU happy, and your family can stay at home and continue to gnash their teeth. If they call you crazy or nuts, just smile and walk away. :):)

I think the person who said ' someone who can think outside the square' is right. A geocacher is a person who can see new possibilities in almost any place or activity. Someone who can take an ordinary hike or bike ride or day in the park or day at the mall or road trip to or with the family and add a little bit of mystery and adventure!! Someone who is willing to learn and explore and challenge their physical and mental capacities. And it's a great way to find new intersting places to walk your dog!

So I'm with those who say go for it! When your family & friends see how much fun you are having and the adventures you are going on, they might well end up joining you.

If you have family members who have an interest in hiking, walking or cycling or anything about the outdoors, or history, geneology, photography or puzzles there may be caches that will particularly interest them tha you could get them to go along with you.

Annie