I can't solve this puzzle cache!

iWikeCake

When you find a cache like this where there appears to be ZILCH on the page to help, always look to see if there is any gallery reference for the cache or personal web page for the owner, and always look at the "page source" for the page (the latter would have given this one away). A couple of the nastier ones I've run across had the coordinates in plain text in a comment field (which are never undisplayed using any tricks like ctrl-a) of the description.

You never know where a devious CO will hide the information.

I'll just mention one REALLY ugly one - the CO of one puzzle cache had actually placed some of the necessary information for his puzzle on a cache page for an event that he'd hosted - and could hence control the information there. Figuring out what that there even WAS a GC code pointed to for the event from the puzzle was hard part number 1. Figuring out what was on that page that provided information for the coordinates was the other. It was nasty piled on nasty piled on nasty!

I dislike puzzles where you have to figure out what to do to solve it.

The challenge is not solving the puzzle but figuring out what exactly you are supposed to do. I hate those.

And some puzzles give absolutely no clues or use some abstract clue that the owner thinks its obvious to everyone.

When you find a cache like this where there appears to be ZILCH on the page to help, always look to see if there is any gallery reference for the cache or personal web page for the owner, and always look at the "page source" for the page (the latter would have given this one away). A couple of the nastier ones I've run across had the coordinates in plain text in a comment field (which are never undisplayed using any tricks like ctrl-a) of the description.

You never know where a devious CO will hide the information.

I'll just mention one REALLY ugly one - the CO of one puzzle cache had actually placed some of the necessary information for his puzzle on a cache page for an event that he'd hosted - and could hence control the information there. Figuring out what that there even WAS a GC code pointed to for the event from the puzzle was hard part number 1. Figuring out what was on that page that provided information for the coordinates was the other. It was nasty piled on nasty piled on nasty!

I recently worked on a puzzle (I solved everything up to the last step) where the CO created several accounts and embedded parts of the puzzle on the account profile pages. The first "stage" of the puzzle involved deciphering some text which led to the first profile page, which led to a series of three more profile pages containing puzzles.

Puzzle caches where the hard part is locating the puzzle are pretty common and I have had some difficulty with some of them but there are only so many places where one can hide a puzzle. Hiding it in the source code of the page is very common, to the point that I've seen several puzzles which put red herrings in the html markup because that's the first place that experienced puzzle solvers will look.

Is it considered bad ettiquite to ask for a nudge in solving puzzle caches here?

Yes. :ph34r:

Try emailing the cache owner; they are often quite willing to give nudges. Good luck!

It absolutely used to be bad ettiquite, but the last year or so around here, someone is going to come along and give you that nudge anyways. Which of course has already happened. :laughing:

Is it considered bad ettiquite to ask for a nudge in solving puzzle caches here? I'm a n00b so forgive me if it is (this is my first time to the forums!!!!11).

:ph34r:

OOps forgot to link, hahah:

Puzzle cache

or

GC1ZHGC

Click your mouse anywhere on the page. Then hold down the ctrl key and press A.

Nudge given.

How is this done? And what I mean is how do you set up the text so you have to use this trick to activate it. Thanks

Is it considered bad ettiquite to ask for a nudge in solving puzzle caches here? I'm a n00b so forgive me if it is (this is my first time to the forums!!!!11).

:ph34r:

OOps forgot to link, hahah:

Puzzle cache

or

GC1ZHGC

Click your mouse anywhere on the page. Then hold down the ctrl key and press A.

Nudge given.

How is this done? And what I mean is how do you set up the text so you have to use this trick to activate it. Thanks

In this case it looks like the text was changed from black to white. White text on a white background is sort of hard to decipher...

I quote the cache page "This is a subscriber-only cache."

The poor owner is probably saying, "Why are all these people from all over the world looking at my cache?"

Guilty. And I better not get a freaking email from him asking why I looked at his cache after he investigates my profile to see where I'm from (this happened once). :ph34r:

Since the cats out of the bag, the trick used on this cache is quite a common one. I haven't investigated further to actually solve it though. Could be easy from there, or rather involved.

Guilty. And I better not get a freaking email from him asking why I looked at his cache after he investigates my profile to see where I'm from (this happened once). :ph34r:

Since the cats out of the bag, the trick used on this cache is quite a common one. I haven't investigated further to actually solve it though. Could be easy from there, or rather involved.

It's at least the second DarkZen puzzle mentioned here, and he reads the forums, so he won't be too surprised.