Any way to put a 528 ft circle around caches on maps?

chrisrayn

I've been looking unsuccessfully for some sort of macro that will throw a 528 ft circle around cache locations either on Groundspeak or Google earth. It would make hides a lot easier, and would help me better separate cache locations in my little hometown.

Anybody know of a macro like this that exists somewhere?

53d9537c-b1b5-439a-9ffa-d51e17b7e01c.jpg

That image, of caches in park in Pinellas County FL, each with a .1 mile reddish circle, was done on Expert GPS, the paid upgrade from Easy GPS. Because I own that, I've not bothered to search for other means. Not quite the answer you are looking for, ie, not Google Earth or GC.com maps, but an answer of sorts.

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/53d953...51e17b7e01c.jpg

That image, of caches in park in Pinellas County FL, each with a .1 mile reddish circle, was done on Expert GPS, the paid upgrade from Easy GPS. Because I own that, I've not bothered to search for other means. Not quite the answer you are looking for, ie, not Google Earth or GC.com maps, but an answer of sorts.

Wow. Are those all physical caches? Cause some look a little on the too-close side.

That's absolutely beautiful. :-( If I wasn't so in love with gsak, I might actually pay for the upgrade. :-s

Wow. Are those all physical caches? Cause some look a little on the too-close side.

They aren't mutually exclusive circles. The 528ft exclusion is a radius around any given cache. As long as the center point of any of those circles is not inside any other circle they aren't too close. Of course non-physical caches or legs of caches aren't restricted by the 528ft. rule.

They aren't mutually exclusive circles. The 528ft exclusion is a radius around any given cache. As long as the center point of any of those circles is not inside any other circle they aren't too close. Of course non-physical caches or legs of caches aren't restricted by the 528ft. rule.

Ah. That makes sense. Thanks for pointing that out.

There's a puzzle cache around here that I'm pretty sure uses this technique to get you to the correct location. But since I mostly ignore the puzzles I haven't taken the time to follow through on my hunch.

@ Castle Mischief-just as the blond who already has the white out on her monitor screen if you can borrow her desk for a minute. :P

I don't twit, so I wasn't aware of that. But since the tangential portion of my post was directed at you I thought it was OK usage for a forum too? Isn't it?

We're driving down an off-topic road headed for a pile of admin bricks, but...

I'm sure it's fine. Twitter is just where I see it most these days. (And it's "tweet". But I agree in most cases, twitter is kind of "twit" heavy.)

Now back on track...

Does GSAK do all that on it's own or is there some other program that's used in conjunction to make the cool circles? Clearly, I'm not utilizing but a fraction of GSAK's tools and functionality.

The GSAK macro, "GoogleEarthCircles.gsk" doesn't need any other third party software. Just set your filter to whatever you want and then run the macro. It will then generate the circles. It will not tell you which caches it's plotting though on the map.

To do that, you can run the other GSAK macro (GoogleEarth.gsk) first. This plots your filtered list of caches in GoogleEarth (with icons that match the cache type) with the description in a popup and links to the actual GC.com cache page.

Then run the GoogleEarthCircles.gsk macro and you'll have the best of both worlds. And it's quick too.

I just want to add that you don't ever want to be caught at work with a compass held up to your workplace monitor trying to draw circles on the LCD surface.

I mean, hypothetically, that would be awkward to explain.

Yeah, that probably wouldn't go over too well. All that LCD sauce all over your desk and all. Why make more work for the cleaning staff.

HEY! There's an open spot...right in the middle of the lake... :blink:

HEY! There's an open spot...right in the middle of the lake... :blink:

There are actually a couple of spots on dry land to. I guess they lack any concealment opportunities.

That's absolutely beautiful. :-( If I wasn't so in love with gsak, I might actually pay for the upgrade. :-s

The capabilities of GSAK and ExpertGPS are orthogonal; that is, they are useful for completely different things. I highly recommend ExpertGPS. You can generate a GPX file with caches in an area, and then select the ones you want with a mouse to send to your GPS.

It doesn't communicate with my PN-40 (yet) but I still use it all the time.

Hmmm.... Wouldn't you want the circle to be a radius of 264 feet (1/2 of 528)? Then as long as the circles around the caches do not touch, they are far enough apart from each other?

Unless you're searching for caches that overlap the .1mi zone you would probably want the .1mi boundary since anything covered by that is breaching the proximity rule. If you're searching for caches that impose on the saturation rules (or just as an instructive lesson in how close some areas come to a hexagonal closepack lattice arrangement) the 264 foot radius would be useful :blink:

I thought just eyeballing this on the GC google map was good enough for me, but I have to say seeing the circles plotted on Google Earth really does help nail down good areas to scout. Although one area I'm looking to hide has 3 puzzle caches I have yet (and don't know how) to solve. Guess I'll just place em and hope for the best. :D

I have had one placement blocked by an unsolved puzzle cache so far. But I used it as motivation to solve that puzzle. :blink:

...was done on Expert GPS, the paid upgrade from Easy GPS.

Wow... I think you've convinced me to buy it. Is this the Home version? The Pro versions get pretty pricey..

I've seen it for $50.00, $60.00.

Don't know if there is a home version, is there? How much have you seen the Pro version selling for?

From the developer TopoGrafix:

"This is a revolutionary product called Expert GPS, Expert GPS is highly useful for people interested in Hunting, Scouting, Mountain biking, Fishing, Tracking, state and local agencies in the US as well as geometric studies. It is available for Windows XP & Vista and it is helpful in viewing map points, Topo Maps, arial photos and many more."

Edited by Team Cotati
...was done on Expert GPS, the paid upgrade from Easy GPS.

Wow... I think you've convinced me to buy it. Is this the Home version? The Pro versions get pretty pricey..

Or even better, buy its sister product GeoBuddy instead - the same code as Expert GPS but with additional geocaching features, and for the same price. Even better, if you're outside the US and don't want the US maps, the "bronze" version is nearly half price!

Don't know if there is a home version, is there? How much have you seen the Pro version selling for?

http://www.expertgps.com/purchase.asp

$110 for Pro, $160 for Pro with CAD/DFX.

Guess it should be the regular (home) version mentioned here.

Or even better, buy its sister product GeoBuddy instead - the same code as Expert GPS but with additional geocaching features, and for the same price. Even better, if you're outside the US and don't want the US maps, the "bronze" version is nearly half price!

Something else to check out. Thanks!

You can do this in MS Streets & Trips using radius circles.

I've also use my GPSr (on a couple of different Garmin) using the proximity alarms - it draws a circle around the cache/waypoint on the map. This is a bit limited as the map isn't very big, but works nice int he field.

This ought to work in MS-Mappoint as well. Would you mind sending me the steps involved in an email via my profile? Thanks.