Vehicle Static Cling/Decal/Magnet Travel Bugs?

BlueDeuce

The car TBs are fun, but it takes patience. Mine is about 3 months old and has only been discovered once.

I have only seen 3 or 4 in the wild.

One was bright enough that I was able to get the number on the freeway.

It adds a fun element to the game when we encounter another cacher on the hunt.

I do let the car visit roadside caches about once a caching day to have a rough idea of cache-mobile travels.

We are pretty new to this but have gotten really into it. We are a duo and Blue's birthday is in a couple of weeks. Amongst a slew of presents (including what may be the entire inventory of ThinkGeek and Geocaching.com stuff), I got him the TB patch to put on his KengaTrek, the magnetic car TB (that did NOT come with dog tags), the hiking pole TB, and a regular set of TBs. Really, we more got them as discussion pieces. So that other cachers might come up and say hi! And so that we might be asked about it and have the opportunity to get others into the addiction :anitongue: We often discuss whether or not some of the people we see out caching are, in fact, cachers like us. We kind of wish we knew! We know the trackables we have that aren't going from cache to cache are far less likely to be "discovered" (if ever). But we hope to get to a few events and maybe, just maybe, meet some fellow cachers along the way. Especially because we're fresh out of college and will most likely be moving a bit - discovering the world around us through caching is just...AWESOME! There is always a multi-cache in a town that will introduce you to the area. And it's a great adventure to take together. So even though the non-cach-traveling TBs might not be logged...it's still a great way to say, "Hey, I cache - do you?"

Discovered our first Car TB in AB Canada. We actually saw it the first day we got there on the highway but were unable to see the tracking code (and did not want to end up like the pic's above!) and did not get the camara out fast enough, BUT we did see it a couple of days later in a parking lot and took a picture and logged as discovered.

Egads, good timing for this topic! I was just over at Minnesota Geocaching Association'spage and was wondering how their window clings worked. I'm sooo going to search for some now... any tips on how to narrow my search down to just vehicles?

I might be misunderstanding your question, but the way to "search" for vehicle TB's is happen to see one attached to a vehicle as you are driving around (pull up behind it at a red light/park next to it in a lot/cruising down the highway, etc). Or are you asking how to comb through profiles to determine who has vehicle TB's and try to track them down that way?

As previously mentioned, the best way to see a vehicle TB is to attend a large event, go out to the parking lot and walk around the vehicles, looking for the bugs. They could be window clings, magnets, decals/stickers, etc. Just note down the tracking codes and log a discovery on them. The same goes if you happen to see one while out driving around.

Also as previously mentioned, if you buy one for yourself, don't expect it to be discovered very often. Again, if you go to a "larger" sized event, expect it to be discovered by quite a few cachers. Otherwise, I've had my TB for a couple of years now and besides the event logs and my caching friend logging a discovery, my car TB has only been discovered "out in the wild" once and that was when a cacher spotted me driving around town.

The vehicle travel bug also advertises that you might have expensive GPS equipment in your car. Is this something you want to advertise?

It doesn't "advertise" anything. If you're concerned, just purchase a magnetic decal. It can be removed from your car when you're parked. It can also be removed from the vehicle while you're driving, but that would kind of defeat the purpose of having the bug in the first place. Besides, your car probably isn't too likely to get broken into while it's moving, unless you've watched lots of action movies, in which case you probably shouldn't be participating in a hazardous activity like geocaching anyways.

Also as previously mentioned, if you buy one for yourself, don't expect it to be discovered very often. Again, if you go to a "larger" sized event, expect it to be discovered by quite a few cachers. Otherwise, I've had my TB for a couple of years now and besides the event logs and my caching friend logging a discovery, my car TB has only been discovered "out in the wild" once and that was when a cacher spotted me driving around town.

I was at Geowoodstock last weekend and someone camped near me had duct tape over the tracking number on their vehicle TB. I'm guessing that they didn't want a gazillion discovered logs.

I purchased one while at GWIX and it was discovered twice at an event the day after GWIX.

I noticed a several people wandering the parking lot at GWIX and photographing every vehicle TB they could find. I'm sure people who had them on their vehicles had a lot of logs.

Or are you asking how to comb through profiles to determine who has vehicle TB's and try to track them down that way?

That is - how to find out it there are any vehicle TB's / their owners in my area. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to make it to any caching events since this summer already seems busy enough. A vechicle TB would be a great way to keep caching during the winter since I'm not so hot for the cold.

This is why I want to get one for my car! There's something thrilling about being able to forget about it, and then, out of the blue, you've been discovered! A "gotcha suckers!" moment.

I just added one to my car, and have one to add to my wife's since I usually take her's (an SUV) caching. Easier to get in and out of than a low riding sportscar :)

I saw a Vehicle TB just recently in Galveston while on a caching trip and it made me decide to get one too!!

Of course the problem is now that I need to be a better driver :)

Edited by acompofelice

I was at Geowoodstock last weekend and someone camped near me had duct tape over the tracking number on their vehicle TB. I'm guessing that they didn't want a gazillion discovered logs.

I purchased one while at GWIX and it was discovered twice at an event the day after GWIX.

I noticed a several people wandering the parking lot at GWIX and photographing every vehicle TB they could find. I'm sure people who had them on their vehicles had a lot of logs.

Ok..that might have been me lurking through the parking lot..guilty as charged. lol.

You stick it on your vehicle and then any cachers who see it and note the tracking number can log it as 'discovered' and mention where they saw it. Sometimes cachers who drive to events log their vehicle into the event listing and then other cachers wander around the parking area noting down all the TB numbers.

There's lots more info and discussion in this topic:

Vehicle static cling / magnetic TBs

MrsB :)

I bought a log my dog tag and a vehicule tag

i don't find how people can log them from a certain location so you can follow my dog's adventures

can you please help me how to set the settings?

thanks

dookia

Edited by dookia

People cannot log these types of trackables from certain locations, they can only "discover" it, and that does not provide a location.

The website calculates and propagates mapping based upon coordinates of caches, w/o being placed in a cache, there would be no coordinates.

The recourse is if YOU log them through caches using the "visit" log, but others cannot (properly).

If your dog goes with you to a cache you could give your dog's tag a 'visit' to that cache to show he went there.

Vehicles are a bit different - They don't usually go to the cache site, unless it's a drive by. Over here in UK, usually we see vehicle TBs being logged into event caches where they're parked outside/very near to the location, then those who attend the event note the tracking numbers and log that they've discovered them "at" the event.

People don't usually log their own trackables... but if your dog runs off somewhere and then you find him again I guess you could log him as "discovered". :D

MrsB

Quick question about the vehicle decal travel bug. I've got mine, and I'm about to put it on my Jeep, but I'm confused how it actually gets logged. I know if someone see it, they can log it like a regular bug using the 6-digit code, but how do they put where they saw it? Or is that not even an option?

Looking at a few bugs other's have posted in the forums, I'm getting the idea that people just post a note saying where they spotted it, and if you want a map associated with the bug, I'd have to log cache's I found with my vehicle.

See my answer in this similar topic.

Most vehicles get logged as "discovered" and then the details of where it was seen are added to the log - Unless they're logged into a geocaching event cache, which gives them a "location" for the duration of the event.

Incidental comment... We were driving locally a few weeks ago and spotted a vehicle with the popular decal which says, "I use multi-billion dollar satellites to find Tupperware in the woods." Ahha! He must be a geocacher, we thought... but no sign of a TB decal on the back anywhere. Then managed to pull up alongside at traffic lights... no sign of any TB on the side windows either... Blast. A wasted opportunity :D

MrsB

Ok just tried it and it doesn't ad up so it's not cheating lol

now wouldn't it be nice that you can alse tell where you have find one of those tag's by entering coordinates?

i don't know if Groundspeak read in this forum but maybe i can propose them to do that

Ok just tried it and it doesn't ad up so it's not cheating lol

now wouldn't it be nice that you can alse tell where you have find one of those tag's by entering coordinates?

i don't know if Groundspeak read in this forum but maybe i can propose them to do that

A bit like this suggestion on the Feedback Forum...

Finders of a vehicle TB could drop a pin into a map...

MrsB

It used to be that if you logged a personal into a cache then immediately retrieved it (dipping), later to have somebody say 1,000 miles away "discover" it, the log would portray that log as in the same area as the cache.

Example: My personal was dipped in South Dakota, traveling home to Michigan, a cacher friend that we visited on the way home (in Michigan) logged a "discovery". That log, showed that he discovered it in SD (he has never been to SD), because that was the last location that the website had the trackable at!

That confusing thing was corrected by the change that eliminated locations on a "discovery" log.

We are new to this sport and have recently purchased a Magnetic Car TB. It came with one copy tag which allows you to write your tracking code and name in. After checking the forums we were a little confused. The way we see using it is to simply have others spot it and log it . We know we probably will not get a lot of hits but personally we do not plan to log it ourselves. This seems to be the simplest way to enjoy our magnetic TB.

The magnet itself feels strong enough but just as an extra measure we added some strips of double sided tape. We have included a photo so others can get a feel for the size.

tbvechiclemagnet.jpg

I recently purchased a small vehicle TB decal for the rear window of our car.

In addition to having it discovered (in theory at least), I decided to use it as a way to track my Geomileage.

I used GSAK to log retroactive dips/visits on the caches I had found prior to receiving the vehicle bug.

I was thinking that using just the vehicle TB decal on the car was not sufficient, as I can't take the car half a kilometer into the woods, so I carry the dog tag on a keychain in my bag as well.

Is this considered valid use of the decal and dog tag?

Of course after doing all retro dips/visits with GSAK, I wondered if it might have been better to just use a regular TB or a Geocoin to track my mileage....oh well it's done now. Not sure how I could undo it now without manually removing each visit log.

As landstar said in #109.

I have a window decal and i always 'Dip' it in 1 cache on each trail i do and on every cache and dash so effectively i know how many miles i have traveled to geocache. I have only found less than 40 but have clocked up over 400 miles going to and from caches.

(Mostly due to 2 caches found when we went to the inlaw's in Cornwall, so not necessarily mileage purely driven to geocache, but still a nice way to keep track)

I haven't had anyone discover the tag and log yet it but i hope people do.

I received a sticker type vehicle TB but since I was planning on getting a new car soon and didn't want to wait, I bought some of the flat magnetic sheet used for vehicle signs and put the sicker on to it. Worked great until one day the magnet came up missing while it was parked in our driveway (I think it was a neighbor kid).

Since then I received for Christmas from the kids a static cling window type TB.

I purchased a travel bug decal and applied it to my car. As an experiment, my room mate "picked up" the travelbug so now the bug is virtually in his posession while physically on my car. Is there some setting I need to apply to prevent anyone from "taking it" ?

For one thing, you could should instruct your roomie on proper trackable logging procedures... it'll come in handy if'n he is gonna continue geocaching...

You should log a "Grab" to place it back into your inventory.

The only way to truly prevent this from happening again, is to move it into your "Trackable Collection" -- a tab on your Profile Page.

The drawback to that maneuver is that NOBODY (including you) can log anything other than "Discover" or "Note".

If you wish to log it as "Visited" to a cache, you must leave it in your "Trackable Inventory" and put up with that type of improper logging when it does occur. It doesn't happen too often, but because some don't understand the procedures, well.....

You know what is OK to do with your TB?

Whatever you want to do with it.

I dip them in caches and people log it as found. It kind of gives me a log of my vehicle travels... if I find many caches in the same park I will dip it in the first one.

I might take offense if someone took it traveling as that would mean they stole my car, or ripped of my decal.

Shaun