Name that (insert item here)

JakeInPA

I had this idea on one of our latest geocaching expeditions. My daughter and I started about a month ago and we're definitely hooked. While we're out though, we see some things that she'll question "what's this?" and I can't always answer, so if it's okay with the forum community here, I'd like to start a thread to help identify different plants, insects, animals or anything else that people may see while out adventuring that they're curious about. Sure, we could probably google it, but I figured we might get stories attached here.

Anyway, here's the only picture I have so far. Anyone know what kind of tree/plant this is?

plant.jpg

Great idea for a thread!

Rhododendron.

Thanks!

And are you kidding me? That's a Rhododendron? Oi, my grandmother is probably cursing me from her grave. She taught me a lot about flowers/plants and what not. We never had these though. We plan on going out all day Sunday again, so I'm sure we'll have more stuff to identify.

Great idea for a thread!

Rhododendron.

Thanks!

And are you kidding me? That's a Rhododendron? Oi, my grandmother is probably cursing me from her grave. She taught me a lot about flowers/plants and what not. We never had these though. We plan on going out all day Sunday again, so I'm sure we'll have more stuff to identify.

Yup, they're all over the place in the wild in Pa. They should be in bloom in a month or so. Not that I'm a pretty flower type guy or anything. :o

OK, you westerners... leave this one for the greenhorns, OK?

7eaa4396-6dce-433e-95ee-a3aaa5234eea.jpg

you don't have to be a westerner to know what that is; we have them here in my neighborhood.

it's a storm drain!

no, seriously. i was just joshin'. you want me to tell what it really is?

Great idea for a thread!

Rhododendron.

Thanks!

If you lived a bit further north you might want to try and solve and find this puzzle cache.

OK, you westerners... leave this one for the greenhorns, OK?

7eaa4396-6dce-433e-95ee-a3aaa5234eea.jpg

you don't have to be a westerner to know what that is; we have them here in my neighborhood.

it's a storm drain!

no, seriously. i was just joshin'. you want me to tell what it really is?

Prevents livestock (cows) from crossing.

Great thread idea! I'll contribute.

I know what these are, but I wonder how many others do.

Some wild mushroom fans may recognize this fungus:

9c602c3c-9022-488a-b09b-2ef3459bdc85.jpg

Okay, where's DavidMac when you need him? What is this and where is it found?

Nevermind - followed the "trail" and found the answer :o

What kinds of tracks are these (the shoe print was placed for scale)

(image snipped)

Is it a Moose?? Hard to tell with no definition in the bottom. I think it might be too narrow for a cow as suggested. Not sure though just a guess

The person that placed the cache that I was looking for when I came across these tracks seems to think that it was a black bear...a reasonable large black bear.

The person that placed the cache that I was looking for when I came across these tracks seems to think that it was a black bear...a reasonable large black bear.

Maybe yours are different from ours - locale or sump'n? The only reasonable black bears (large OR small) I've come across are those that ran* as I approached. The others can be downright persnickity.

*(the other way)

:unsure:

~*

My turn. Found this in a semi-remote cemetery near Tishamingo, Mississippi on the grounds of the [i'm guessing it's a case of "we didn't have the resources to procure a fancy tombstone", but exactly what was its function before that?

(My apologies for the artsy sepia.)

2-23-09%20063.jpg

What is it made of? I know of an old gear that looks like that (I believe it would be the "rack" portion of a rack and pinion gearset). That one was used to raise and lower the gates on a dam. Of course that one was made of iron.

My turn. Found this in a semi-remote cemetery near Tishamingo, Mississippi on the grounds of the [i'm guessing it's a case of "we didn't have the resources to procure a fancy tombstone", but exactly what was its function before that?

http://castlemischief.com/pics/2-23-09/ima...23-09%20063.jpg

What is it made of? I know of an old gear that looks like that (I believe it would be the "rack" portion of a rack and pinion gearset). That one was used to raise and lower the gates on a dam. Of course that one was made of iron.

Rusted metal. Probably iron.

http://castlemischief.com/pics/2-23-09/ima...23-09%20063.jpg

Rusted metal. Probably iron.

Here's a picture of the rack gear that I saw:

9332282f-5d10-4799-bfef-13738fe064bb.jpg

A fairly common site in some areas.

008.jpg

Isn't that a petroleum condensate tank? I remember hearing about people taking "drip" out of tanks like that to run their cars many years ago.

:unsure:Was told by a fellow cacher that in fact it was a "condensate tank".... but on a natural-gas head drawing / getting the water out before it goes into the main line to the storage tanks.

Here is something that only exists in one place, in the world. There are several caches near this site.

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/497889...893390cb928.jpg

Of course it exists in only one place in the world. It's kind of difficult for a location to exists two places simultaneously. [:laughing:]

Anyway, this is the Tehachapi Loop in California.

Edit: To add smiley

Edited by TomToad

Here is something that only exists in one place, in the world. There are several caches near this site.

497889f7-999d-49fb-9af1-0893390cb928.jpg

It's not completely unique. In BC, Canada are the Spiral Tunnels - two loops in tunnels in the moutain:

PICT2243.jpg

Here's a picture of three sections of the same train going thru the lower Spiral Tunnel:

PICT2240.jpg

My turn. Found this in a semi-remote cemetery near Tishamingo, Mississippi on the grounds of the Crow's Neck Environmental Education Center. I'm guessing it's a case of "we didn't have the resources to procure a fancy tombstone", but exactly what was its function before that?

2-23-09%20063.jpg

Hmm if it's metal, I guess it could be some sort of gear rack or w/e. To me it looks like part of a concrete floor from a building. If you're familiar with fluted decking, it would make a section of concrete looks just like that picture.

Kind of like this

111-2008.gif

497889f7-999d-49fb-9af1-0893390cb928.jpg

Don't forget the Waymark!

There is a cool train loop in Switzerland (switch between terrain/satelitte/map). This one has the figure 8 loops inside a tunnel. We couldn't see much of it when we found the San Giovanni (Anzonico) cache. Note the narrow winding roads.

edit: tag repair

Edited by Moose Mob