Your least favorite easy logs.

va griz

Sorry if the title is confusing. What I'm asking is about the logs on the easy caches that you DNFed. The ones that unintentionally taunt your inability to find a P&G.

I can't decide which is worse: "Only one place it could be" or "Saw it as I drove up". :D

"Saw it as I drove up" wins it for me. It was on a nano cache on a metal bridge (in a spot with poor satellite reception). I DNFd three times on it before I finally found it.

"Found it in the first place I looked" has found a place of annoyance for me as well.

I don't think I've DNFd on a cache with this one but I would imagine that "my dog found it before I did" (yes, I've seen that in a log) would win the prize if I did.

My DNF log on a 1/1.5 urban micro stands all by itself among 240 logs that all say something along the lines of "quick, easy find." As an experienced cacher using a Garmin 60CSX, I blamed my failure on hunting at night by flashlight.

So along comes a log that reads something like this:

"Our first hunt! We used our iPhone. We forgot to bring our flashlight but had no trouble locating the cache in the dark."

My DNF log on a 1/1.5 urban micro stands all by itself among 240 logs that all say something along the lines of "quick, easy find." As an experienced cacher using a Garmin 60CSX, I blamed my failure on hunting at night by flashlight.

So along comes a log that reads something like this:

"Our first hunt! We used our iPhone. We forgot to bring our flashlight but had no trouble locating the cache in the dark."

Well, some could say the iPhone screen is unnaturally bright... *cough*

There's a caching couple in my area who hides very clever caches and my husband and I have DNF'd on most of them. I haven't gone anywhere near their puzzle caches. One of their caches was so clever that another cacher hid a second one so they could log the find. :D When someone says, "Saw it while we were walking up." I want to call shenanigans! Don't act like these are easy. These are not easy for anybody. If you see it walking up, it's out of place! ;)

How about this: No GPS, No Motor, No Map, No Notes.

All of my finds under this profile have been found without a GPS, without a motor(bicycle, pedestrian), I've never printed a cache page but sometimes I'll write down the street coordinates and the whether it's in the NW, NE, SE or SW section of the property.

How's about blindfolded?

Well he does live in the same area as the worlds most prolific cache hider so caching while blindfolded might be an option.

y

- i put as much effort logging it as they did finding a good spot ;)

I think you missed the point of the thread. It is for find logs that other people leave on caches that you found to be difficult (or that you DNFd). (It's a fun thread, not an angsty one.)
The worst thing I've read in a log after I DNF'd a cache was "I have pulled this cache x days ago and am archiving it." or something simular.
Those knids of logs actually make me feel a little better. I much prefer them to the "easy find" logs or "it's still in plain site" maintenance logs.
Yeah, it seems like anytime I read, "Found this one right away" or "Quick find!" it's the kiss of death for me. I'll be there for hours. :D
Me, too. I'm somewhat embarrassed of the number of 'easy caches' that I fail to find. Heck, I once DNFd a LPC twice before finding it even though I had logged loads of previous LPCs and had checked the skirt on both visits.

Here in Iraq, I've had a few 1/1 that eluded me like trigonometry. I went for as many caches as I could when I first got in country (before getting shipped out to a FOB). There were several "easy" ones that I just couldn't find. Every time I get back to the base I go searching for them again. Every time the logs in between were filled with new cachers saying things like: "My very first geocache".

But through persistance I have finally nailed 2 of them down.

The one lesson I have learned; Just becuase I looked there once, doesn't mean the cache isn't in there.

Edited by scuba dude
[Geocache Handle redacted] was in the area today for some hunting and decided to try for this find. After deducting the cache was gone, replaced the container and log with a fresh one.

I'm not even kidding... They claimed a find as well.

All the other logs indicate how easy the find is, but we had to DNF.

Edited by station41

"Found it"

The majority of logs say they enjoyed the cache and the only real complaints I get are from a few who griped they had to walk to get to it. (.60 miles one way on a nice flat bike trail)

I'll just assume the finder wanted to complain about something and just kept it to themselves. :laughing:

I like to call these email finds,because they find the caches by asking they're buddies where the tough caches are this is not a find!!! :laughing: :

"Ok we had to call for help because we had looked everywhere. We went right over the top of this I don't know how many times. Thanks (name taken out) for the extra hint. "

"Got this one with a little help from another cacher. Boy, it sure made us feel dumb. We had been here before. Just didn't check the right spot."

"With the help of (name taken out) I finally found it. TFTC"

if you need your friends to help you find caches then bring them with you!!

Edited by tsasquier

Well, after nearly three years, this one still stings! :laughing:

"My goodness. What a bunch of wussies. When I started down the trail (the long one through the briars- of course) I saw an albino cardinal sitting on the ground with a wing feather from a Hawk. With a powerfull omen like this what do I have to fear from the evil squirrel minions bent on world domination. Found Kache with no problem. Thanks for the FTF Gift (I gave it to the guys living in the tubes) they are not very scary."

But you'll have to read the first few logs of this now archived cache for yourself if you want to understand the context! :unsure:Trash to Kache #1

"My goodness. What a bunch of wussies. When I started down the trail (the long one through the briars- of course) I saw an albino cardinal sitting on the ground with a wing feather from a Hawk. With a powerfull omen like this what do I have to fear from the evil squirrel minions bent on world domination. Found Kache with no problem. Thanks for the FTF Gift (I gave it to the guys living in the tubes) they are not very scary."

But you'll have to read the first few logs of this now archived cache for yourself if you want to understand the context! :unsure:Trash to Kache #1

Without even looking up the cache page, was that a Darkmoon cache?

Without even looking up the cache page, was that a Darkmoon cache?

No, it was a Kand Kache. But Darkmoon's log is a riot! :ph34r:

There was a 1/1 small very close by that we just could not find on two separate outings. My neighbor sees me coming home after a day of caching and we start chatting about what it is and how it works. The next day when I sit down to log my DNF, I see that my neighbor has logged my nemesis cache. He didn't even own a GPS at the time.

It wasn't so much what was written in the log, just that it was logged. very depressing...

There was a 1/1 small very close by that we just could not find on two separate outings. My neighbor sees me coming home after a day of caching and we start chatting about what it is and how it works. The next day when I sit down to log my DNF, I see that my neighbor has logged my nemesis cache. He didn't even own a GPS at the time.

It wasn't so much what was written in the log, just that it was logged. very depressing...

That might be a winner right there. Gotta hurt when he can find based only on your info.