Logging multiple finds

fyreman

I'm pretty sure this has been asked before, but i cant seem to find the answer anywhere.

Is there a way to log multiple finds at one time without having to go to each individual page to log the finds.

My wife and I have more than 75 finds from a day of caching, but it would take another day to log them all, and we were wondering if there was a simpler way.

thanks in advance

Try Express Logger, but I don't think it's any quicker than cut and paste.

One tip I can give you is pick one cache to write a full complete story then copy the link to that log entry and paste on the other cache web sites.

I did a power cache trip in Long Beach, CA, area and grabbed 100+ caches. Only on the 'unique' and creative caches did I bother writing a unique log entry. For the vast majority of bush and lamb skirt caches, I said something like "Co-find with XXXX and XXXX, see (insert link here) for our full story. TFTC."

You should perhaps browse around a bit in this thread before logging a zillion caches with the same word(s):

The lost art of logging, Laziness or "monkey see, monkey do"?

If all you have time for is TNLNSL or TFTC copy-n-paste 70 identical logs then that's your choice, but you run the risk of aggravating quite a few cache owners.

[Edit to add:]

I did a power cache trip in Long Beach, CA, area and grabbed 100+ caches. Only on the 'unique' and creative caches did I bother writing a unique log entry. For the vast majority of bush and lamb skirt caches, I said something like "Co-find with XXXX and XXXX, see (insert link here) for our full story. TFTC."

This is a good suggestion. Put in a logging effort in direct proportion to the hiding effort. If you find 65 identical LPCs, then post 65 identical logs. But the 5 original caches deserve something better.

Edited by J-Way

As the owner of over 100 caches - I can tell you there is no greater disappointment than when a group of cachers blows through the area and I get 180 identical logs - "Cache run - was with the group from XXXX".

Don't laugh - it has actually happened.

I live for reading the unique stories of discovery - that is when cachers actually bother to share them with me.

Even if it takes you a week.

Don't think of logging a a chore that you need to do to get your smiley, rather start to think about it as a record of the adventures you had. One you can return to in the future to revisit and share those memories. Have you ever found a diary of that family member who always seemed to off on some cool adventure? Leave that gift to your friends and family so they can laugh about you wandering through a swamp for an ammo can or how you discovered what turned into your favorite park.

Not a "Getting Started" question for newcomers to Geocaching. Moving thread to Geocaching.com Web Site forum, since the OP seems to be asking for an automated logging tool.

So ya' got one, or not? :D Crud, and I thought it was going to be about logging events as attended multiple times.

This is kinda frowned upon in these here forums fyreman. I guess cut and paste (which requires you to visit each cache page of course), or I'd never heard of express logger, although I'm not surprised someone came up with something like that.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

As the owner of over 100 caches - I can tell you there is no greater disappointment than when a group of cachers blows through the area and I get 180 identical logs - "Cache run - was with the group from XXXX".

I live for reading the unique stories of discovery - that is when cachers actually bother to share them with me.

I agree. By posting a cut/pase of "Nice Hide TFTC", you are telling the cache owner that they wasted their time putting out a nice hide on a nice trail.

If you are going to post 75 identical logs, save yourself some time and log 75 finds on one cache.

Nothing is nicer than getting a nice log on one of your caches.

The only time I cut and pasted finds was when I was helping my daughters create their own ID's and we had to back log around 100 caches each for them. I put something like, "Just created account and found with my dad, ao318. Thanks." After that, they write their own little logs.

Well, there's the easy way out with copy and pasting your log's but I haven't found a way to easily make log's without visiting each cache page. I think if you are using GSAK you can set up a macro and enter in your log as you go or "off-line" then the macro will take your log and log it for you. This may be easy for future cache runs if you are using a computer in the car and type your log's as you go along then when you get home just run the macro.

Now I do understand where you are coming from as I've found 101 caches in a day. I went threw and wrote a unique log for each cache and yes it took a long time to do. But on the flip side I told the stories of what happened as I search for each cache. This wasn't easy to do but I figured this was the best thing to do. A cacher doesn't put out cache's to get the same log over and over again and they deserve a little bit of a thanks or a nice log to read.

But I tend to write longer log's then most and for some reason I even have quite a few people that look me up just to go threw and read my log's. :D

I'm not sure what my current "find" count is but it's over 2000 finds, and I am proud to say I've never copy and pasted a single log. :D

I agree. By posting a cut/pase of "Nice Hide TFTC", you are telling the cache owner that they wasted their time putting out a nice hide on a nice trail.

If you are going to post 75 identical logs, save yourself some time and log 75 finds on one cache.

Nothing is nicer than getting a nice log on one of your caches.

Thanks guys - I thought I was the only one who got pissed at seeing a bunch of copy&paste logs all the time. I'm the opposite as I always write a unique comment for each log. True some of the logs are short and to the point (depends on the hide) but at other times I log a nifty little story about the cache. The owners that I've met have ALWAYS appreciated it as I often add a bit of humour to the stories.

My belief is if you want to copy&paste logs then it must only be the numbers that you are interested in and not the actual hunt for the cache. You aren't my type of cacher - "See ya!"

Not a "Getting Started" question for newcomers to Geocaching. Moving thread to Geocaching.com Web Site forum, since the OP seems to be asking for an automated logging tool.

So ya' got one, or not? :laughing: Crud, and I thought it was going to be about logging events as attended multiple times.

This is kinda frowned upon in these here forums fyreman. I guess cut and paste (which requires you to visit each cache page of course), or I'd never heard of express logger, although I'm not surprised someone came up with something like that.

I think people are maybe missing what I was asking about. An example of what I was wondering about may be the express logger, that has the ability to allow you log do the multiple logs in one place and then upload the logs, or even better, if people are familiar with ebay's feedback system, you have the ability to select the items to leave feedback for, then leave individual feedback for each seperate item, and then submit all of them at one time.

I understand the reason for the "custom" log with each find, and do not have a problem doing that, i'm just looking to reduce the steps needed to log the finds, after all the less time i have to spend in front of the computer, the more time i have to find more caches.

So ya' got one, or not? :laughing: Crud, and I thought it was going to be about logging events as attended multiple times.

We haven't had one of those in a while. Well, I just started one yesterday on our local forums...

If you're going to post the same log on all your caches, you may as well just post "Thanks for the cache. I appreciate the time you put to put out this cache, but not enough so that I'm willing to write something unique about it as I'm really just interested in getting my find numbers up."

Seriously, people appreciate a nice thing - or even a constructive criticism - rather than a cut & paste log. I know it's sometimes hard to do if you've done 75 lamp posts though.

:laughing: I'm recently new to Geocache and love it. I also was looking at a faster way to locate each cache so I can enter in the logs of my visit. I want to write in the logs but I do find this way slower. I'm also starting to write more as I read more from others. It makes me want to tell more, so in the future I will try to write more than a simple TFTC etc. I want to acknowledge and respect the time and effort fellow Geocaches put into hiding and creating their caches. CHEERS TO YOU ALL!!! Bubb1

I'm pretty sure this has been asked before, but i cant seem to find the answer anywhere.

Is there a way to log multiple finds at one time without having to go to each individual page to log the finds.

My wife and I have more than 75 finds from a day of caching, but it would take another day to log them all, and we were wondering if there was a simpler way.

thanks in advance

Can you please share how you find 75 caches in a day? Some of us can't get past 20!!!! :laughing::huh:

thanks in advance

Can you please share how you find 75 caches in a day? Some of us can't get past 20!!!! :):)

- Cache with a small group (2-5 experienced people, in one vehicle). This usually greatly speeds up the spotting process, because a cache that one person might overlook could be obvious to someone else. Also helps when the person driving doesn't have to worry about navigation.

- Plan the route ahead of time to minimize travel time between caches.

- Search in a cache-dense area (larger cities).

- At least one person in the group should be familiar with the local roads to keep from getting lost.

- Only look for caches rated 2/2 or below, or maybe easy puzzles you've solved ahead of time.

- Park-n-grabs only (walking more than 100-ft wastes too much time).

Personally I'd rather go for 1 or 2 caches with a nice walk than for 100 park-n-grabs. My personal best is 13 geocaches in a day, or 14 cache containers (10 geocaches plus 4 terracaches). But I've also ejoyed the few group hunts I've been on; those are more of a social/party type experience than hiking in nature.

I think the world record (confirmed by witnesses and, I think, a video) was 300+ caches in a 24-hr period by a single group. But this record hasn't been really visible since the INATN "top ten" page went down.

Good manners dictate that one should write an individual log for each cache found.

I am occasionally compelled to cut-and-paste a good portion of my logs, but I try to customize all of them.

Perhaps the cache was not so unique that you need to rave about it, but the owner went to some (however minimal) effort to put that cache there for you to get your smilie.

They deserve a proper thank-you.

Try Express Logger, but I don't think it's any quicker than cut and paste.

One tip I can give you is pick one cache to write a full complete story then copy the link to that log entry and paste on the other cache web sites.

The nice thing about Express Logger is that is gives you a nice list on the left side of the screen of all the caches you found. I always write nice logs for memorable caches. If I can't remember a cache then there's not much I can really say...

my favorite bozo cut-and-paste logs mentioned caching in the beautiful vermont area, despite the caches being almost as far out of vermont as utica.

when someone writes thank you for a cache in this form, i am underwhelmed by their largesse and tend to hold everything else they do as suspect.

thanks in advance

if you only knew how much the cache owners HATE copy / paste [automated] logging!

they spent more than 1.5 seconds putting cache together[even LPC hides] so why not spend at least 30 seconds writing at least one sentence. every cache is different so why should every one get a TNLN TFTC, SL?

I think you may be misunderstanding the original request. My interpretation is that the OP wants to be able to write 75 (or whatever) INDIVIDUAL logs in one convenient place and then upload each one to the relevant cache page rather than manually navigating to each cache page in turn.

It sounds an eminently good idea for those people who manage to find lots of caches.