Geocache or Geodash? Swag deterioration? Trache-caches the future?

yawppy

Reading the forums and am noticing that :

1. Swag deterioration.
  2. Trache caches. (Trash + Cache = Trache-cache, a cache that evolved into a trash can)
  3. Geocide's

I am a newbie to Geocaching. I have also found out about Terracaching, or as I call it The Geocache graveyard.

With only 233 finds, I too am starting to wonder why should I be out looking for a Trache-cache? I hand create my own signature swag, and have always traded up, here lately been leaving swag, just because a reg cache has no swag, and is on the verge of becoming a Trache-cache.

We have all seen them, golf balls, demolished toys, left over lunches, driveway gravel, beer bottles, milk caps with a date, sticks, shards of glass, and even poo, yes poo or if you prefer S#%$, crap.

For the children, swag is well you know, so cool, for me I too love a little treasure, sort of childish, yes, but so fun. After the poo incident, I am very cautious in taking the geo-brats out caching.

With so many yard sales, thrift , craft, hardware, home improvement, party, and discount stores, swag can be inexpensive and fun part to geocaching.

I have found cache containers at yard sales, unique ones and some even free.

Savers, Goodwill, Salvation Army-- usually bundle some cool toy' swag, and usually these baggy specials cost $2.. and have 15- 25 pieces ranging from plastic dinosaurs, to those match box cars, barn animals, sports cards etc.

Which brings me to recent, I have heard many a cacher state they are not in it for the swag, TNSL. I noticed that there is another GPS game called Geodashing.com, so why Geocache if you are not swapping swag?

I guess my question is this. Is the future of geocaching the land of LPC's, GRC"s, MPC's, and trache-caches?

(Lamp Post , Guard Rail, Muggle Prone)

What are your basic caching guidelines, or caching ethics?

What is the sickest swag you have found? (Poo, dead animal, drugs etc)

What has been your coolest find swag , or scenic cache?

What future do you see in regards to geocaching, terracaching, Waymarking, or geodashing?

OK, have a fine day of Popsicle hunting! It is a nice sunny icy cold day for it, may need that Ice pick!

Happy Caching!

Edited by yawppy

I guess my question is this. Is the future of geocaching the land of LPC's, GRC"s, MPC's, and trache-caches?

I make sure I tell new geocachers that they are going to get a good look at the underbelly of humankind if they decide to become a geocacher.

I explain to them that they will in time become used to the fact that as a group, humankind sucks.

I let them know that all the nice items are going to be taken and replaced with trash.

I explain that they should be prepared to watch their travel bugs and geocoins get lost or stolen, sometimes very quickly. I explain that perfectly normal seeming people will completely ignore polite emails and keep their TB for no reason at all. I let them know that if they continue to geocache they will make enemies, get rude emails from strangers and get very disheartened by the whole experience.

I explain that no matter what they do someone will think they are cheating.

I explain that for every cache they hide that has a good container, good camo and carefully thought out location there are probably going to be 50 caches tossed down in plastic dog food containers with a strip of paper that was ripped of a sheet as a log, they always suspect I am lying on this one, "We have had scissors for hundreds of years." they tell me, I laugh, "Just wait and see, this is the underbelly." I say.

I tell that they are going to have to learn to delete logs on caches they hide because someone is sure that every other person on the planet will need an egregious spoiler. I tell them people will flat out lie to get an item that has no value at all, a smiley.

I tell them about the geocachers that are like caged animlas in the zoo, restlessly padding back and forth between the guardrail and the car, totally pointless, yet they seem to find comfort in the act.

On the plus side I explain that this activity is a lot of fun and that every once in awhile they will meet kindred spirits that leave nice logs with no spoilers, trade up or trade even, provide comments about TB's and geocoins, don't care how many caches they find but just love each adventure, take and post pictures, place good geocaches in quality conainers, shop for nice swag items, teach their children to play fair regardless of the others. I explain how great it is to go to an event and realize that complete strangers can become close even though they have never met except by connecting through caches or TB's. I point out the people in their geocaching community who take the time, who do the work and who realize that community isn't just a word, it is a place in their heart. I explain the benefits of becoming balanced by the act of geocaching. I tell them that if they stick with this activity they will become organizers, activists and volunteeers. I make sure I introduce them to a few people here in the forums who will provide inspiration and light to help keep their spirits up when they get down and feel like giving up.

I point out the two paragraphs I just wrote are almost equal. (not really though)

Geocaching will harden your heart but it will also provide, you just have to realize that as a group, humankind really does suck.

The first thing I explain is always the same, I make sure they know that they are going to get a good look at the underbelly of humankind if they decide to become a geocacher.

Edited by wavector

People cache for their own reasons and enjoy things differently than others! I have never found anything of value, so I don't let the swag bother me. If I were doing this to get rich, yes, I'd have quit after the 10th cache or so. :angry:

People also tend to hide caches they enjoy! Those who like puzzles, place a fw, those who like ammo cans, use them more etc. Also, searching for a cache is your decision in the end. Read the descriptions, the logs and make a choice if you enjoy nice views or good containers.

In the end, I believe things will be just fine!

Everyone plays the way they want to. Some are about the types of containers. Some are about the numbers, some are about the puzzles, etc. Everyone likes different aspects of the game. You are not going to get everyone agreeing to everything. So if its about the swag for you, place and take what you will.

I just like finding things. If I have my bag of swag with me, then i place something, other times its just a TFTC TNSL.

1. Swag deterioration.
  2. Trache caches.
  3. Geocide's

I am a newbie to Geocaching. I have also found out about Terracaching, or as I call it The Geocache graveyard.

With only 233 finds, I too am starting to wonder why should I be out looking for a Trache-cache? I hand create my own signature swag, and have always traded up, here lately been leaving swag, just because a reg cache has no swag, and is on the verge of becoming a Trache-cache.

We have all seen them, golf balls, demolished toys, left over lunches, driveway gravel, beer bottles, milk caps with a date, sticks, shards of glass, and even poo, yes poo or if you prefer S#%$, crap.

For the children, swag is well you know, so cool, for me I too love a little treasure, sort of childish, yes, but so fun. After the poo incident, I am very cautious in taking the geo-brats out caching.

With so many yard sales, thrift , craft, hardware, home improvement, party, and discount stores, swag can be inexpensive and fun part to geocaching.

Savers, Goodwill, Salvation Army-- usually bundle some cool toy' swag, and usually these baggy specials cost $2.. and have 15- 25 pieces ranging from plastic dinosaurs, to those match box cars, barn animals, sports cards etc.

Which brings me to recent, I have heard many a cacher state they are not in it for the swag, TNSL. I noticed that there is another GPS game called Geodashing.com, so why Geocache if you are not swapping swag?

What future do you see in regards to geocaching, terracaching, Waymarking, or geodashing?

OK, have a fine day of Popsicle hunting! It is a nice sunny icy cold day for it, may need that Ice pick!

Happy Caching!

Like the saying goes; One man's trash is another man's treasure.

That's my opinion, and like the saying goes, Opinions are like... Well,,, you know the saying..

Everyone plays the way they want to...

If you want to find only your own caches that may be true.

You will find the caches hidden by others and you will take the adventures offered by others, you will do as others ask you to do or you won't be geocaching very long.

Geocaching isn't about doing your own thing, you can hide what you want but you will find what is hidden. You control your own seeking but have no control over those seeking your cache.

These are one way streets.

You cannot PQ or Filter your way to great geocaching adventures. The very first time you take a five mile hike to FTF a Pringles can full of stuff from the junk drawer with a ripped off strip of paper for a log you will understand that.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Another bit of wisdom that is about as helpful as an anchor. Trash is trash. Other items may not be treasures but they are not trash.

Trash is trash. If you are not sure what that means then keep geocaching for awhile. Trash is what you will find. In time you will see that trash is trash and treasure is in the eye of the beholder.

There is no escaping this fact, if you think you can sidestep this issue then you are wrong. You will stop trading out trash for your dollar store trinkets whenever you reach the end of your financial tether. People start off with good intentions but quickly realize they cannot stem the tide of trash.

As a cache owner I just remove the trash. If you are willing to pay the postage I will ship it to you so you can sort out the treasures I am missing. :)

1. Swag deterioration.
  2. Trache caches.
  3. Geocide's

As a premium member, you have the tools available to find the type of caches you like. See my Recipe for fun (Share your techniques for avoiding caches you dislike) thread

When I take my kids caching, we look for small to large caches. We also avoid 99% of urban caches. Urban caches are the first to be "picked clean" of decent swag by "low effort" cachers. The opportunity to hike with my kids, and show them the natural world is more satisfying than driving through the city looking for micros.

Not all Guardrail and lamppost caches are crappy (although 99% are). "Scenic" Lamppost and Guardrail caches thread.

Find the type of caches that I enjoy and ignore the rest. I also hide the type of caches I like to find.

Dog food

I found many scenic caches, you can look at my profile, and look at my gallery.

Geocaching is following two paths:

Fast food sedentary style cachers that pursue mundane caches in mundane locations to maintain a high find ratio.

Outdoors style cachers (the originals) who go geocaching to enjoy the outdoors, the scenery, and have time to stop and smell the flowers.

Edited by Kit Fox

Try not to get hung up on the contents. While it is a part of caching it shouldn't be the reason for it. If it is the reason for your caching you will get burnt out on the whole thing very soon. Learn to use PQs and other methods to maximize your quality caching time and try to develop the sense of adventure that the journey can be. Use it to find the out of the way and interesting places that are all around you yet remained unknown to you before caching.

And kudos for your work to improve the experience for others.

The worst thing I have found would, I think, be a cache full of stinky mold. I have on a couple of occasions found an animal carcass near a cache. Not pleasing to the senses, but a part of nature. Thankfully I have not found a cache full of poo.

I am sorry . . . but, in my experience with my cache hides - there has been NO trash placed to replace quailty swag.

Of course, one can not know what WAS there in the beginning when junk is found in it today . . . it may have commenced as poor swag and just continued that way.

I place a cache that is 'themed' and the friends that visit have retained this theme (childrens books, hand-held games, travel bugs). Maybe that is the solution, keep a theme and it might eliminate miscellaneous swag that one might think is of poor quality.

Edited by GRANPA ALEX

You will find the caches hidden by others and you will take the adventures offered by others, you will do as others ask you to do or you won't be geocaching very long.

Geocaching isn't about doing your own thing, you can hide what you want but you will find what is hidden. You control your own seeking but have no control over those seeking your cache.

You cannot PQ or Filter your way to great geocaching adventures. The very first time you take a five mile hike to FTF a Pringles can full of stuff from the junk drawer with a ripped off strip of paper for a log you will understand that.

There's where I disagree with you. This may be right for some, but for me, the walk in the woods, the scenery, the final destination are all I need to enjoy myself. The thrill of the hunt is just icing on the cake, not worried about what's inside, not caring if the last person stole everything but the logbook and container, not worried whether someone had imagination enough to make it creative, not caring if the hider had enough money to buy a nice container etc etc!

We all enjoy this for varying reasons, it's those who set their standards too high that are in for a fall.

I don't understand why people think there is a problem. My experience has been a positive one.

Perhaps it because I look at geocaching as a casual hobby and mainly as an excuse to get off the couch a couple of times a month.There is a ton of information about each cache and if someone wishes to filter out the "trash caches" it seems like a fairly easy process.

Micros are not my cup of tea and obviously I am not into the numbers thing but don't begrudge those that do. I rarely trade swag but how could I complain about the quality if I did? This is all voluntary. No one made me visit the cache and I can stop the hunt at anytime.

This is the second time I've seen the word "trache" come up. Before I make an undue assumption, could someone confirm for me that it means "trash"? Or please tell me what it means? Thanks!

It's refering to the quality of the cache. Someone but the two word's together Trash + Cache and made "trache". At least that's where I think it has come from.

Because

1. I'm never disappointed in the cache contents.

and

2. Geodashing is just a random trip. There's no mind on the other end engineering a clever hide that I have to figure out. There are no stories about a place that a cache hider wants to tell.

Edited by Prime Suspect

This may be right for some, but for me, the walk in the woods, the scenery, the final destination are all I need to enjoy myself.

That is called hiking.

I like hiking also. :)

You have listed a lack of creativity and a lack of financial resources as possible reasons to explain why a cache hider would place a Pringles can full of trash at the end of a five mile hike. I don't think it is either of those reasons so here we can agree to disagree.

I think it is a lack of understanding.

I am not even going to guess why that happens but I do know that they have never read a post by briansnat about containers. I am not even suggesting that a container or contents makes an adventure, they don't, but they can detract from one.

The point I was making is that Kit is right, you can filter or PQ your way to much better adventures but you will still find yourself at the end of a five mile hike holding a nice piece of swag that you intended to trade into the cache and you will decide you cannot do it, you would just be throwing it away. I give the nice item to my kids, sign the ripped piece of papare and carry on.

You will just get used to it or in time you will become a RockyRaab.

People are often surprised when I tell them they are going to get a good look at the underbelly of humankind if they continue to geocache for awhile. I like to think they have a better chance of staying around if they understand that right from the beginning. I don't give them sops.

This is the second time I've seen the word "trache" come up. Before I make an undue assumption, could someone confirm for me that it means "trash"? Or please tell me what it means? Thanks!

Trache is a cache designed to look like trash. You hide a cache inside a piece of trash and then people who are looking for it have to sort through the trash to find the cache.

Now you know.

This may be right for some, but for me, the walk in the woods, the scenery, the final destination are all I need to enjoy myself.

That is called hiking.

You have listed a lack of creativity and a lack of financial resources as possible reasons to explain why a cache hider would place a Pringles can full of trash at the end of a five mile hike. I don't think it is either of those reasons so here we can agree to disagree.

Can you link to an actual cache where a pringles container was hidden at the end of a five mile hike?

The point I was making is that Kit is right, you can filter or PQ your way to much better adventures but you will still find yourself at the end of a five mile hike holding a nice piece of swag that you intended to trade into the cache and you will decide you cannot do it, you would just be throwing it away. I give the nice item to my kids, sign the ripped piece of papare and carry on.

One of the best stocked caches i've ever found was during a long hike. Although every item was worth trading for, I hiked to be outdoors, not to trade items. The cache was a nice bonus. I was more proud of my 14 mile, 4600 elevation hike than I was about finding three caches in 8 hours and 56 minutes.

People are often surprised when I tell them they are going to get a good look at the underbelly of humankind if they continue to geocache for awhile. I like to think they have a better chance of staying around if they understand that right from the beginning. I don't give them sops.

I find this to be true about 90% of them time when I search for 1/1 caches.

Half the treasure is the hunt, half the treasure is the find.

It is upsetting when you find a cache with nothing in it. All of the trackables have been stolen. The log book is full and water logged.

I think that there should be a much more efficient method for archiving caches that have been abandoned by their owners.

After so many DNF logs then the owner should have to acknowledge the logs on the cache page. More than 10 months to archive a cache is far too long. If the cache owner doesn't respond to emails then the cache should be disabled if there is a problem. There needs to be more ownership in owning caches. GC should make it more difficult to place and own caches IMHO. This would also reduce the number of crap caches stuck to freeway signs.

I make my own signature items to trade. I make business cards that are laminated with coins, tokens, or stamps in them. I think of them as quality sig items. Some of the business cards I see are not very good quality and end up damaged when they are wet. I like to get sig items but there are not many that are quality.

I am sorry . . . but, in my experience with my cache hides - there has been NO trash placed to replace quailty swag.

Of course, one can not know what WAS there in the beginning when junk is found in it today

Since they are YOUR cache hides one knows exactly what was there in the beginning.

You have never seen this happen with your caches but you make the comment "junk is found in it today".

So you do find junk in other peoples caches but never in your own?

You don't need to apologize if your caches never contain junk. With 100+ hides if you have never seen a good item replaced with trash you are extremely fortunate or they just have really good swag on Pluto.

That is called hiking.

I think it is a lack of understanding.

I am not even going to guess why that happens but I do know that they have never read a post by briansnat about containers. I am not even suggesting that a container or contents makes an adventure, they don't, but they can detract from one.

You will just get used to it or in time you will become a RockyRaab.

You call it a hike, I call looking for a container after a long hike following the GPS geocaching! :huh:

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Can you link to an actual cache where a pringles container was hidden at the end of a five mile hike?

Not without offending someone locally. :)

I only use actual examples, I don't make this stuff up.

I will PM you the link to the cache if you really want to see it.

It is another aspect of caching in a smaller community that you are going to see these people at the next event. I have some pretty strong opinions and there are a few locals who have chosen to be offended on more than one occasion.

You hear about TB Prison Hotel breaks but very few geocachers are actually willing to do it, I have.

Needless to say my convictions about geocaching don't always endear me to some but I get a few nice emails that make it all worthwhile.

I could just quit and walk away but at the end of the day if I want to have input into the future of this activity I have to stay. I enjoy the walks with my family, I enjoy finding clever hides, I always say "clever counts a lot" in geocaching. I enjoy the feeling I get at the end of a really difficult CITO, I enjoy events and getting to meet the people that write the logs. I enjoy reading and sharing the adventures of other geocachers all over the world. I enjoy armchairing my way through cache logs trying to figure out what happened to someones geocoin or TB.

I enjoy geocaching but I know that I am going to be surprised and sometimes offended by the things I see and find. It comes with the territory. But TG pointed out in the RockyRaab geocide thread that sometimes he has to say to new geocachers "It isn't always like this.". I never have to say that because I tell new geocachers that I am introducing to this activity from the get go that "They are going to see the underbelly of humankind."

You call it a hike, I call looking for a container after a long hike following the GPS geocaching! :)

There's where I disagree with you. This may be right for some, but for me, the walk in the woods, the scenery, the final destination are all I need to enjoy myself. The thrill of the hunt is just icing on the cake

You actually said that the nice walk was the thing and the finding of the container was the icing on the cake. I said that cake was called hiking, not geocaching. I enjoy hiking as well but the cake is geocaching, it is not the icing as you contend.

Hiking never causes aggravation, geocaching can.

Your contention seems to be that there is nothing that any geocacher can do to ruin your geocaching adventures. This is a good attitude but it doesn't reflect the geocaching landscape accurately.

There are people who will detract from your enjoyment.

Has no one ever decided to steal another geocachers TB or geocoin fom your cache? This doesn't bpther you? Have you never had an email from a new geocacher asking you if you knew where a missing geocoin or TB from your cache has gone? Have you never had to remove some disgusting or dangerous item from a geocache? Have you never had an entire geocache stolen by someone?

I have never seen the underbelly of humankind when I am out hiking and I enjoyed hiking long before there was ever a thing called geocaching. I still enjoy hiking but it is now icing on the geocaching cake.

You call it a hike, I call looking for a container after a long hike following the GPS geocaching! :)

There's where I disagree with you. This may be right for some, but for me, the walk in the woods, the scenery, the final destination are all I need to enjoy myself. The thrill of the hunt is just icing on the cake

You actually said that the nice walk was the thing and the finding of the container was the icing on the cake. I said that cake was called hiking, not geocaching. I enjoy hiking as well but the cake is geocaching, it is not the icing as you contend.

Your contention seems to be that there is nothing that any geocacher can do to ruin your geocaching adventures. This is a good attitude but it doesn't reflect the geocaching landscape accurately.

Has no one ever decided to steal another geocachers TB or geocoin fom your cache? This doesn't bpther you? Have you never had an email from a new geocacher asking you if you knew where a missing geocoin or TB from your cache has gone? Have you never had to remove some disgusting or dangerous item from a geocache? Have you never had an entire geocache stolen by someone?

I have never seen the underbelly of humankind when I am out hiking and I enjoyed hiking long before there was ever a thing called geocaching. I still enjoy hiking but it is now icing on the geocaching cake.

Only if YOU allow it to!

Only if YOU allow it to!

Personally, I've been on cache runs where I didn't find a single cache...and loved every minute. I've found caches which I completely disagree with, and enjoyed my caching day. I've been hurt, soaked, frozen and found plenty of crap caches along the way, but cannot recall one bad time being had while enjoying a caching day.

Maybe you're experiences are different?

Absolutely, but I am not being blithe nor naive.

Whenever someone steals a TB or a geocoin from my cache I feel bad for the owner, I don't enjoy that and I don't think it is fun, I am surprised that you do.

Everytime I encounter a geocache hidden in an environmentally sensitive area and see the damage caused I feel bad, I don't enjoy that, I am surprised that you do.

Every time someone steals one of my caches, I feel bad, I don't think that is fun, I am surprised that you do.

Everytime someone sends me an email because they are worried about an item that has been lost and they hope I can help, I don't enjoy that, I am surprised that you do.

Every time I see other geocachers characterized as cheaters I don't enjoy that, I am surprised that you do.

Every time I see some new geocacher dumped on in these forums for asking a simple inncocent question I don't enjoy that, I am surprirsed that you do.

You can continue your blissful journey but you know what Roddy, I know that you can be hurt by other geocachers because I have seen it happen. When people are insensitive then they can hurt others. In the world of geocaching there is enjoyment and there is inevitably hurt, it is going to happen to everyone when they realize that being blithe and ignoring things that are destructive doesn't work for the long term, they become the RockyRaabs, the geocides who finally decide they have had enough of pretending that it is all good, it isn't and I am surprised that you can't see that.

So I disagree with the notion that being blithe is a good attitude, I tell new geocachers to prepare for the underbelly of humankind and then nothing unexpected happens, stuff happens that isn't pleasant but it isn't unexpected and they are never surprised.

Edited by wavector

Absolutely, but I am not being blithe nor naive.

Whenever someone steals a TB or a geocoin from my cache I feel bad for the owner, I don't enjoy that and I don't think it is fun, I am surprised that you do.

Everytime I encounter a geocache hidden in an environmentally sensitive area and see the damage caused I feel bad, I don't enjoy that, I am surprised that you do.

Every time someone steals one of my caches, I feel bad, I don't think that is fun, I am surprised that you do.

Everytime someone sends me an email because they are worried about an item that has been lost and they hope I can help, I don't enjoy that, I am surprised that you do.

Every time I see other geocachers characterized as cheaters I don't enjoy that, I am surprised that you do.

Every time I see some new geocacher dumped on in these forums for asking a simple inncocent question I don't enjoy that, I am surprirsed that you do.

You can continue your blissful journey but you know what Roddy, I know that you can be hurt by other geocachers because I have seen it happen. When people are insensitive then they can hurt others. In the world of geocaching there is enjoyment and there is inevitably hurt, it is going to happen to everyone when they realize that being blithe and ignoring things that are destructive doesn't work for the long term, they become the RockyRaabs, the geocides who finally decide they have had enough of pretending that it is all good, it isn't and I am surprised that you can't see that.

So I disagree with the notion that being blithe is a good attitude, I tell new geocachers to prepare for the underbelly of humankind and then nothing unexpected happens, stuff happens that isn't pleasant but it isn't unexpected and they are never surprised.

I'm sorry, but all that you've said has happened to me personally (stolen coins, solen GPS, stolen caches etc)...still here! And you know what, just like in fishing, my worst day caching is still a better day spent than working! :)

Let me ask you this...you send a TB or coin out in the world knowing it could go missing within minutes...do you then allow this item to wreck your enjoyment of the activity? You put a cache out for your enjoyment and for others, if it comes up missing, replace and go on or quit and be bitter! And, if the forums really bothered me, I'd not return...still here!

It will only bother you if you let it! And, noting your posts, I'd say you get worked up to easy...but just MHO!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Is this the future of the forums? Threads about lack of swag, stolen TBs, and crappy cache containers? How come I am able to see every LPC as being a new experience, but when the same threads are posted over and over I just don't enjoy participating in the discussion anymore? I think I'm going to go geocaching. We're having great weather here in Southern California unlike some of the rest of the country. Thanks for the excuse to get off the computer and go outside. :)

still here! ... And, noting your posts, I'd say you get worked up to easy...but just MHO!

In case you haven't noticed I am still here. :)

You can continue to be blithe, it is your right.

You could respond to the questions but I don't blame you for pretending I am not asking any.

I didn't ask you if you had your GPS stolen, I asked you if you felt bad when someone stole another person's TB out of your cache?

I asked you if you enjoyed emails from people hoping you could help them with their items stolen from your caches?

I asked you if you enjoyed seeing people called cheaters?

I asked you if you enjoyed seeing new geocachers get trashed for asking innocent questiuons in the forums?

You don't choose to respond you just insist that you are having fun.

And, noting your posts, I'd say you get worked up to easy...

I don't get worked up at all, I am just being realistic about the actual state of affairs, you are not.

You can continue to be blithe and when people quit you can just pretend that they are at fault somehow and that everything in this activity is lots of fun and it is all good.

I will continue to give people a somewhat realistic appraisal of geocaching. I will let them know that they are going to see the underbelly of humankind if they continue as geocachers. I will, hopefully, give them effective attitudes for countering "mantra repetition" which gives them nothing.

I understand why RockyRaab quit and I can deal with it, you seem to feel that it is RockyRaab's fault that he couldn't continue to pretend it is all good.

And you don't need to bother with the questions, avoiding the answers is an answer in itself to those reading.

Is this the future of the forums? Threads about lack of swag, stolen TBs, and crappy cache containers? How come I am able to see every LPC as being a new experience, but when the same threads are posted over and over I just don't enjoy participating in the discussion anymore? I think I'm going to go geocaching. We're having great weather here in Southern California unlike some of the rest of the country. Thanks for the excuse to get off the computer and go outside. :)

That is where I am going right now, down to the park with the dog to hopefuly find a very complex cache hidden by the park but not listed here on geocaching.com.

I have heard from another local geocacher that it is a great way to spend an entire afternoon and I am looking forward to the hunt and the walk, so is Ana.

Have a good day Marty.

still here! ... And, noting your posts, I'd say you get worked up to easy...but just MHO!

You could respond to the questions but I don't blame you for pretending I am not asking any.

I didn't ask you if you had your GPS stolen, I asked you if you felt bad when someone stole another person's TB out of your cache?

I asked you if you enjoyed emails from people hoping you could help them with their items stolen from your caches?

I asked you if you enjoyed seeing new geocachers get trashed for asking innocent questiuons in the forums?

I don't get worked up at all, I am just being realistic about the actual state of affairs, you are not.

You can continue to be blithe and when people quit you can just pretend that they are at fault somehow and that everything in this activity is lots of fun and it is all good.

I will continue to give people a somewhat realistic appraisal of geocaching. I will let them know that they are going to see the underbelly of humankind if they continue as geocachers. I will, hopefully, give them effective attitudes for countering "mantra repetition" which gives them nothing.

I understand why RockyRaab quit and I can deal with it, you seem to feel that it is RockyRaab's fault that he couldn't continue to pretend it is all good.

And you don't need to bother with the questions, avoiding the answers is an answer in itself to those reading.

Look, what I have told you and will continue to tell is this, stuff happens. If I allowed this stuff to get me so worked up that I quit, who's fault would that be? I can either accept that people are going to try their best to ruin a good thing and make the best of it, or I can fold camp and quit!

If you're asking whether I have a heart, what do you think? If you're telling me that I somehow need to allow myself to get all teary whenever someone's TB or cache is stolen or someone posts hurtful words in here, then I'm telling you you're setting yourself up for a fall! Sorry, won't happen! Sure, I feel badly for the person who lost an item, will it be the end of my caching fun?? Ahhh.....NOPE!

You see, there's far more pressing things for me to get worked up about...real life! Another thing I find funny, what makes you think you need to tell others what to expect about fellow cachers? Do you think people are coming into caching expecting to find a whole new breed of people? I'm guessing most of us came here fully aware of what to expect...well, anynoe who's dealt with any aspect of civilization anyways! :huh:

So, what is this question you seem needs answered??

Edited by Rockin Roddy
You cannot PQ or Filter your way to great geocaching adventures.

You can use PQs and filters to MAXIMIZE your caching experience. The trick is to accept that by filtering out the thousands of caches you know will be less than satisfying you will miss a couple that would have been fun. On the other side, yes, a few of the caches you would rather not hunt may get through. It balances out. If you can accept that the world is an imperfect place and that once in a while you aren't going to have the stellar time you expected then you can figure out ways to maximize the enjoyment of the time you invest in geocaching.

You cannot PQ or Filter your way to great geocaching adventures.

You can use PQs and filters to MAXIMIZE your caching experience. The trick is to accept that by filtering out the thousands of caches you know will be less than satisfying you will miss a couple that would have been fun. On the other side, yes, a few of the caches you would rather not hunt may get through. It balances out. If you can accept that the world is an imperfect place and that once in a while you aren't going to have the stellar time you expected then you can figure out ways to maximize the enjoyment of the time you invest in geocaching.

Exactly!

I dont know of any long-time geocacher that caches because of the swag. If that's your motivation then spending your weekends at yard sales would be a better place since you're more likely to find "treasure" at a yard sale than in a geocache.

Like a lot of people, my own motivation is in the journey or the experience, not in the swag. Finding LPCs and guard rail hides no longer appeal to me so, for the most part I've stopped doing them unless I stumble upon them. These days I seek out remote caches, caches in places I've never visited and caches where the owner has created something unique. I also enjoy caching with friends and, in that situation, the type of cache is much less important than the company.

Geocaching has something for everyone. Figure out what you enjoy and direct your energy there.

I understand why RockyRaab quit...

I understand why he quit. I also get that he was in essence calling the game a waste and telling us we are a bunch of cache wrecking losers who have ruined his good time. It is too bad that he couldn't find a way to maximize has enjoyment and limit the problems he was experiencing. Doesn't mean I'm gonna feel sorry for him while he pouts and throws a tantrum.

I understand why RockyRaab quit...

I understand why he quit. I also get that he was in essence calling the game a waste and telling us we are a bunch of cache wrecking losers who have ruined his good time. It is too bad that he couldn't find a way to maximize has enjoyment and limit the problems he was experiencing. Doesn't mean I'm gonna feel sorry for him while he pouts and throws a tantrum.

If, instead of getting all upset, Rocky Raab decided to ignore the caches he didn't like (like maybe the trache caches, the LPCs or whatever else bothers him), to take it upon himself to add swag to empty or severely depleted caches, to upgrade containers (when appropriate mind you) or to just do his part to make caching a bit better (even if that's just leaving a nice log for the cache owner), I would bet he would get much more out of this as would future cachers!!

In short, the game is only what you make of it for you.

But you did find it, and you were the FIRST.

Because

1. I'm never disappointed in the cache contents.

and

2. Geodashing is just a random trip. There's no mind on the other end engineering a clever hide that I have to figure out. There are no stories about a place that a cache hider wants to tell.

Oh, plenty of other opinions on the OP, no need to add mine. So I'll address Geodashing, since it's mentioned in the title of the post. I have to agree with Prime Suspect, the dashpoints are random, and generated monthly. There definitely are stories to tell though, if you read the logs for some of them. I've certainly had stories to tell for the handful I've been to and logged. I'll bet 99% of the people reading the thread have never heard of it, but the game was started in June 2001. It has a strong cult following, and will never go away. Much of this cult following is outside of the USA though. :)

The sad answer is that you seem to have an unusually negative and miserable attitude, you also seem hell-bent on poisoning everyone elses views with your negativity. Maybe you cant take lifes little knocks but you don't have to be such killjoy :huh:

I make sure I tell new geocachers that they are going to get a good look at the underbelly of humankind if they decide to become a geocacher.

I explain to them that they will in time become used to the fact that as a group, humankind sucks.

I totally disagree with that. To me geocaching shows the good side of humanity. Geocaching is a sport that is based on and dependent upon the honesty, decency and good will of others.

You have people who spend the time, effort and money to hide caches to entertain people who they don't know and usually will never meet. These caches are then largely left unmolested by geocachers, often for many years and through hundreds of finds.

Like any activity you are going to get a cross section of society and there are jerks, control freaks and scoundrels among geocachers, but for the most part they don't last long in the sport - its not that attractive to that type.

Geocaching no more shows the underbelly of mankind than you'll see at work, sitting on a bar stool, riding the bus or going to church - and by the very nature of the sport and the kind of people it attracts, you are less likely to see it here than other places.

I know cache contents tend to degrade over time, but I doubt geocachers for the most part are depleting the caches out of any sense of greed or malice.

Seems like a general agreement on the definition of bad swag.

How about a definition of good swag.

Being nubes...this might help.

Thanks

jbrox

Stuff you'd like to find!

I personally am always happy to find a nice unactivated geocoin to trade for, gotta love finding a new coin which isn't in my collection! Hand-made swag is usually good too, sig items and the like. Unique items are always fun to find as well.

When we first started out, we noticed a local cacher made his own chainmail keychains. We went after those with a passion, hoping to find one in several of our first finds. FINALLY, we came across one after several finds, it was unique and special because it was hand made! After finding our first, I had to let both my caching partners find one before I could lay claim to the next, it was a real "treasure hunt" looking for those. I think in total, I have something like 8 different and unique keychains made by that cacher, and I'm still on the hunt, checking which caches this person has visited recently when in his home area!!

Good swag can be cheap, but should be something you yourself would appreciate! I often visit the Dollar store looking for cheap swag to fill new hides with. Flashlights, batteries (wrapped in tape and bagged for safety), tools (nothing sharp though) for the adults, cars, plush toys and the likes for kids. And, we do like to throw in the occasional toys for the dogs who come by as well!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Geocaching no more shows the underbelly of mankind than you'll see at work, sitting on a bar stool, riding the bus or going to church ...

I didn't ask you if you agreed or not, I said I tell all new geocachers that. :angry:

I tell them it isn't a treasure hunt so much as an ongoing CITO for cache owners.

I tell them they are going to get their trackable items stolen, two out of my last three geocache visits I have reported missing geocoins.

I tell them someone is going to call them a cheater, that hasn't happened to me sitting on bar stool, riding the bus or going to church.

I tell them perfectly normal seeming people will label whole groups as cheaters for practices that they don't accept (sound familiar to you or should I provide links).

I explain that there are people who have all sorts of personal rules and if other people don't follow those rules they think those people are cheaters.

I explain they will get rude emails from strangers.

I tell them they will encounter a few geocachers that tell everyone it is a "treasure hunt" and it is "all fun" and that if they don't enjoy having their things stolen, getting rude emails and being called a cheater it is "all their own fault". I also tell them those people are willfully blind as they can't see or refuse to acknowledge any of the issues in geocaching.

It always amazes me that people can geocache for as long as they do and completely miss the fact that this whole activity is about connecting to other people.

You were the first person to make a comment to RockyRaab. Your comment seems designed to make him feel that he would find no sympathy or understanding in the community which he has been a participant and a contributor for the last few years. Your comment makes it seem to me that you really don't understand this activity at all and never have, it makes me think you geocache for yourself, not to connect to others.

I understand why RockyRaab quit.

When people start geocaching I will continue to give them a frank appraisal, I tell them that this activity will expose them to the underbelly of humankind.

I doubt geocachers for the most part are depleting the caches out of any sense of greed or malice.

I agree, that is why I tell people that they are going to be exposed to the underbelly of the humankind.

It isn't greed or malice, it is part and parcel of humankind, as a group we suck.

I doubt geocachers for the most part are depleting the caches out of any sense of greed or malice.

I agree, that is why I tell people that they are going to be exposed to the underbelly of the humankind.

It isn't greed or malice, it is part and parcel of humankind, as a group we suck.

Cheer up! Things aren't as bad as you think :angry:

"When people start geocaching I will continue to give them a frank appraisal, I tell them that this activity will expose them to the underbelly of humankind."

The issue is that geocaching attracts a a wide range of people that is fairly representative of society as a whole, and frankly the concept of honor and doing the right thing is in decline, and has been replaced with the notion that something is OK is one can get away with it.

The swag content of caches decline because no one is looking when changes are made. This is inevitable, and the cache owner is responsible for replenishing his/her caches. As far as accusations of cheating, people have got to learn to just ignore unpleasant people, control freaks, amd self-styled purists, and play the game on your own terms so long as your are respectful of the caches of others. If someones plays by different personal rules, they can be ignored. The activity is all about getting outside and enjoying the adventure of the search. If you approach the activity with that perspective (and learn how to filter out junk caches) you will have fun.

Doom and gloom, these people will make your life miserable, don't get your hopes up....WOW! It's a wonder you get anyone interested with that sales pitch!

On the contrary, I often tell people that this is a great family friendly activity which could help you stay or get fit while enjoying the great outdoors! I fairly never mention swag much unless they ask, and then I tell them that it's not so much about the trading as much as it's about the adventure. I tell them there are a lot of very nice people here, many caring and wonderful people (I don't feel the need to paint anyone bad since we all understand the bad walk among us in all activities in life, including church (where I was once saw a fight break out over Bingo).

I wonder how many Girl Scouts I could get interested in caching using your approach? (I teach many local GS troops)

As for Rocky Raab, he quit because he didn't find caching to his liking. What should be done, change it to his liking so he can continue on? Continue on ourselves and find what we enjoy and build off that? Quit too and protest others having fun?

I'll continue to have fun! :angry: If I need to make adjustments along the way, I'll do that as long as I'm still having fun! If someday, I find I'm no longer having fun, I'll quit like Rocky did, we've all got that choice!

As for the future of caching, it's going to be what people make it to be!